PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

Here is something to keep firmly in mind about PAD:
Despite the name, the People's Alliance for Democracy is actually campaigning for an end to democracy, arguing that in Thailand Western-style elections have only led to corrupt and ineffective governments.

Instead, it wants a largely appointed parliament, and a legalised role for the military as a kind of referee in Thai politics, our correspondent adds.

I find it appalling that several Thaivisa members, some of whom I know to be pretty highly educated, are still content at being apologists for PAD.

Really, there is only one way forward for Thailand and that is through a slow and tedious and sometimes inefficient process of maturing its democracy, which means through elections, which means respecting ALL Thai people. Sadly through the most recent military coup the clock was turned back 15 years or so.

I find it appalling that you want to respect all Thai people. The problem is that Samak, Taksin, Chalerm and friends don't respect other people at all so why respect themThey are the problem

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..... Since democracy will never be allowed to win the day, maybe Thailand can come up with their own crazy way to settle this because I can't see how this can possibly be resolved without the army getting involved again.

Well, Anupong said: "There will be no Coup"!

I can see at least ONE MAN in this country who will step forward, if needed!

We may become witnesses of a new dawn......wait and see, how the Thai People resolve their issues...!

Maybe only this way, people ALL OVER THE COUNTRY do start to understand what it is all about...

A corrupt ex-PM on the run with a convicted wife, trying to avoid his own conviction, a corrupt PM and a very "iffy" government behind him, a son of another minister being involved on some shooting incident where a high ranking police officer died is now back in the RTA!

and, and, and.........

The PAD is going to wait till the MP resigns - reminds of the events 2 years ago...

And then what? Another election with the same result.

A shrewd move by Samak IMO. He resisted the urge to make a knee-jerk reaction this morning, stayed physically close to the military, and has now given the PAD enough rope to hang themselves within the confines of the law without having to declare an SofE. Depending upon how accurate the media has been, he's potentially got them on various charges - everything from defamation, trespassing, assault and kidnapping, all the way up to perhaps being able to get a charge of sedition or treason in there (depending on how it is defined in Thai law). They have no leg to stand on constitutionally regarding Free Assembly anymore either as that clause stipulates that such assembly must be unarmed.

I hope he tells the PPP MP who was advocating counter-protests to pipe down - that is where the real potential for escalation remains.

I think you'll find in reality this not really about the PAD or Samak for that matter. They can always be sacrificed. It is about other groups making sure they win. However, if the PAD are to really be sacrificed it will probably indicate a satisfactory deal has been made. I am not sure we are there yet not that I would know anyway;). The PAD although they have their own agenda also have their uses for others more powerful than they as both a diversionary group and an assault vehicle to send blunt messages.

Unfortunately I think a lot of the trappings of democracy arguements about laws and constitutional rights are not exactly major issues for any of the players in this drama. When elephants fight........

If I were Samak I'd order in the military to restore order and arrest these hooligans. It's really getting out of control with schools and unies shut. For what?

Samak does not have command of the Military from what I understand. That power is reserved for the Prem and the Monarchy only as the Thai Military serves within Thailand only to protect His Majesty and Thai people from foreign threats

I've not read all the pages of this thread but got bounced here by the merging of a new thread regarding the PAD entering Government house.

Well I've always been a supporter of the PAD's right to criticise the government and protest against what they see as bad governance.

However, checking out the breaking news, I now think they have crossed the line and are taking themselves and Thailand into very dangerous territory. What they are doing now is a direct attempt to usurp the elected government by mob rule. It would appear also that they are trying to provoke a violent backlash which would play right into Samak's hands.

Let's hope a sense of jai yen yen prevails and it all ends peacefully.

However I wouldn’t choose tonight to go out on the p1ss around town.

Here's the explanation from PAD as to what happened at NBT... believe it or not....

NBT Back on Air with Makeshift Props

UPDATE : 26 August 2008

The broadcast of the NBT television station is back on the air, first with reports from its outdoor broadcasting van, and now from a makeshift studio.

NBT has played over and over again the video footage of a group of armed men entering its premises early this morning and destroying its properties. The men claims to be PAD members but PAD core leader Sondhi Limthongkul has denied that, saying this is a set-up to try to arrest the five core leaders for treason.

It is reported that PAD members remain at NBT and are trying to broadcast ASTV's signal via NBT.

--Thailand Outlook Channel

Here's the explanation from PAD as to what happened at NBT... believe it or not....

The broadcast of the NBT television station is back on the air, first with reports from its outdoor broadcasting van, and now from a makeshift studio.

NBT has played over and over again the video footage of a group of armed men entering its premises early this morning and destroying its properties. The men claims to be PAD members but PAD core leader Sondhi Limthongkul has denied that, saying this is a set-up to try to arrest the five core leaders for treason.

It is reported that PAD members remain at NBT and are trying to broadcast ASTV's signal via NBT.

It's possible I suppose, remember the Thaksin bomb threat?

LOL... classic BS. Everyone else there was PAD - so why would the armed men not be?

Thanks for keeping us posted, btw. I'm sticking to the TV broadcasts and glad to see someone covering the web sites :o

Quite frankly if I were Kuhn Samak, I would make sure that those that scream for change be given the opportunity to do something for the good of the country rather than acting in a counter productive manner. I say Sonthi should serve on the Cabinet as Minister of Interior. :o

A shrewd move by Samak IMO. He resisted the urge to make a knee-jerk reaction this morning, stayed physically close to the military, and has now given the PAD enough rope to hang themselves within the confines of the law without having to declare an SofE. Depending upon how accurate the media has been, he's potentially got them on various charges - everything from defamation, trespassing, assault and kidnapping, all the way up to perhaps being able to get a charge of sedition or treason in there (depending on how it is defined in Thai law). They have no leg to stand on constitutionally regarding Free Assembly anymore either as that clause stipulates that such assembly must be unarmed.

I hope he tells the PPP MP who was advocating counter-protests to pipe down - that is where the real potential for escalation remains.

The occurence of a violent counter-strike against the PAD in the next forty-eight hours or sooner has now definitely got to be on the cards.

My guess - is that somewhere - anti-PAD protesters are gathering in readiness -

Wasn't there meant to be such a rally planned for the Chatuchak area today?

Supreme Commander: No need for Emergency Decree, yet

post-128-1219742548_thumb.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Supreme Commander Gen. Boonsang Niempradit on Tuesday indicated that separate rallies staged by the People's Alliance for Democracy-led protesters at several key state-owned establishments had not escalated to the extent that an emergency decree need to be adopted, but affirmed that he believed the police could handle the situation.

He said the military had not yet been put on alert, but it is monitoring the situation and the police supervision of the rallies.

Regarding a possible adoption of an emergency decree to control the situation, Gen. Boonsang said it must be discussed if Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej suggests it.

However, he personally sees no need to adopt emergency measures for the time being because "it could cause confusion".

Asked to comment on the action of some PAD protesters storming into the state-run NBT television station, Gen. Boonsang said he did not want to see any violence take place and that he believed the police would be able to cope with the situation.

Should the premier call it quits to end the ongoing political tensions, he was asked. As a subordinate, the general said, he is not in a position to comment.

However, the supreme commander said he believed that all conflicting parties should turn to talk with each other. The PAD has the right to stage rallies, but its actions must not break the law.

Gen. Boonsang affirmed that no military officers thought of staging a coup because they are aware it would likely not improve the situation.

Meanwhile, it was reported that the Cabinet met at the Royal Thai Armed Forces' headquarters since Government House has been isolated and closed off by the PAD demonstrators.

Key security officers including Army Commander-in-Chief Gen. Anupong Paochinda, Police Commissioner Pol. Gen. Patcharavat Wongsuwan, and First Army Region Commander Lt-Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha met with the supreme commander at the headquarters.

It is expected that the top military brass will continue to meet and assess the situation.

Gen. Prayuth said there remained a way out regarding the PAD decision to rally at several state agencies and seize the NBT television station -- if its supporters agreed to disperse and return to their position.

Whether the emergency decree should be adopted to deal with situation, he said, depended on the government's decision.

However, he believed the situation had not escalated to such an extent that warrants the announcement

of the decree.

-- TNA 2008-08-26

BBC report hits the nail on the head...

"This is a mass protest movement with a difference, our correspondent says.

Despite the name, the People's Alliance for Democracy is actually campaigning for an end to democracy, arguing that in Thailand Western-style elections have only led to corrupt and ineffective governments.

Instead, it wants a largely appointed parliament, and a legalised role for the military as a kind of referee in Thai politics, our correspondent adds.

The PAD has already played a central role in Thai politics, beginning three years ago as a movement to bring down Thaksin Shinawatra, then the most powerful elected leader Thailand had ever known.

Its protests set the stage for the coup that ousted him in 2006, and probably helped ensure the legal cases against him went ahead this year, resulting in Mr Thaksin and his wife going back into exile.

Mr Samak is still defiant, insisting he has a democratic mandate from last December's election - but he seems unable to shake off this determined and apparently well-funded opposition movement, our correspondent adds. "

These people are a pain in the arse. Protests never solve anything.

Learn history......From France, Russia to Cuba and and and all was done by protests....

I believe you can count the USA, too, as being able to thank civil disobedience for its liberty (at least until 2000)

On the other hand, that's not to say the current bunch is to be supported. The movement smacks more of acall to facism to me than an appeal to democracy.

Quite frankly if I were Kuhn Samak, I would make sure that those that scream for change be given the opportunity to do something for the good of the country rather than acting in a counter productive manner. I say Sonthi should serve on the Cabinet as Minister of Interior. :o

Strange world, but.................

Police chef says Govt should talk to PAD

BANGKOK: Police Commissioner-General Pol Gen Phatcharawat Wongsuwan said Tuesday that he would propose that the government hold talk with leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy.

The police chief was speaking to reporters while attending a meeting with Interior Minister Kowit Watana at the Metropolitan Police Bureau.

Phatcharawat said the situation had peaked but Kowit would have a final say on how to deal with the situation.

The Nation 08-26-2008

If they arrest PAD leaders, especially Chamlong, this will be good for PAD as it will make these guys martyrs just like in 92 when Suchinda cracked down on the street protests with violence and arrested Chamlong and co. PAD were right, this is the end game being played out as far as street protests are concerned and now the stakes are reaching their highest point. Samak is becoming increasingly isolated as a leader and his demise as PM is in sight now. It just depends on who else will go down with him and if they can bring the whole govt down in one fell swoop. The army so far are not being drawn in to the fray, but they could easily factionalise at any moment with different units backing different sides and then who knows what may happen?

Proves the Thaksinistas wrong yet again that PAD are/were a spent force and too marginalised to change anything. They've even surprised the sleeping govt with their level of organisation and depth of support, so you're in good company. :o

Thaksin, Samak et all are business people who took advantage of the inherent greed of the ordinary Thai voter. They saw the opportunity in the Politics Business to invest 30 million baht to buy 60,000 votes at 500 baht each. 60, 000 Thai voters happy to sell democracy for 500 baht each in each constituency. The businessman/politician will then reap his rewards through corrupt government tenders.

This country won't change until ordinary Thai people stop selling their votes for 500 baht.

They were selling them long before Thaksin got involved too.

but no one ever before did it so professional and so successful and so unscrupulous than tax-sin. keep in mind, that jews were killed before adolf hitler. that doesn't make him better. what about the simple solution: everyone who offers, demands, gives and/or takes bribes is fined 100times the bribe and looses his/her job immediatelly. this new (?) law could be enforced the thai way like with the helmets, first only in the big cities during workdays and daylight, later be extended step by step to the country, weekends and nights. we need not get them all at once, it would be enough for the beginning to set some warning examples...........

btw: 500 baht is not greed, it's stupidity and desperation. 30 million baht is greed! 3 billion baht is beyond imagination for most voters/customers/victims......

Kowit orders police to evict protesters out of Government House by 6 pm

BANGKOK: Interior Minister Kowit Watana has ordered police to evict protesters from Government House compound by 6 pm, a well-informed source.

Government Spokesman Wichianchote Sukchokerat, meanwhile, expressed confidence that the prime minister will be able to enter Government and work in his office there as usual on Wednesday.

--The Nation

08-26-2008

Thaksin, Samak et all are business people who took advantage of the inherent greed of the ordinary Thai voter. They saw the opportunity in the Politics Business to invest 30 million baht to buy 60,000 votes at 500 baht each. 60, 000 Thai voters happy to sell democracy for 500 baht each in each constituency. The businessman/politician will then reap his rewards through corrupt government tenders.

This country won't change until ordinary Thai people stop selling their votes for 500 baht.

They were selling them long before Thaksin got involved too.

but no one ever before did it so professional and so successful and so unscrupulous than tax-sin. keep in mind, that jews were killed before adolf hitler. that doesn't make him better. what about the simple solution: everyone who offers, demands, gives and/or takes bribes is fined 100times the bribe and looses his/her job immediatelly. this new (?) law could be enforced the thai way like with the helmets, first only in the big cities during workdays and daylight, later be extended step by step to the country, weekends and nights. we need not get them all at once, it would be enough for the beginning to set some warning examples...........

btw: 500 baht is not greed, it's stupidity and desperation. 30 million baht is greed! 3 billion baht is beyond imagination for most voters/customers/victims......

Huh? A slight overestimation of importance in world history of vote buying I think.

well, regardless of all this mess which just continues to simmer toward...something, for better or worse, I am all for this latest turn of events as it means I have the day off from school tomorrow. Extend the mess the rest of the week I say, and I can have a nice long weekend. Thanks.

Thai and Asian press freedom watchdogs condemn raid on NBT

BANGKOK: -- Thai and Asian press freedom watchdogs condemn People's Alliance for Democracy-led protesters' seizure of a state-run television station on Tuesday.

"The forced closure of Thailand's National Broadcasting Television (NBT) on 26 August 2008, is unjustifiable and goes against the principles of democracy, free flow of information, and fair play that the protesters themselves have invoked to justify their illegal act," according to the statement.

The compound of the NBT was raided by a group of armed men claiming to represent the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD). Journalists and staff of the NBT were forced to suspend their work and broadcasts.

The protesters said they raided the station because it was a mouthpiece of government. "In truth, all they achieved was to obstruct the flow of information to the public," said the statement.

SEAPA, the TJA, the Thai Broadcast Journalists Association (TBJA) and the Confederation of Thai Journalists, said: "The mob action is one of the gravest and most blatant assaults on media freedom to date. The media was threatened, intimidated and kept from performing their duty."

SEAPA is one with the Thai journalism community in finding the demonstrators' raid on NBT "unacceptable".

The use of force to gain control of NBT's compound and facilities, and the cutting of the station's broadcasts is, as TJA notes, not only an illegal attack on a government facility, but equally an assault on a media organization.

This perpetuates a culture of intolerance and denigrates the values of plurality as well as the safety of journalists, both of which are crucial to genuine press freedom and the free flow of information. Against this, even the protesters' argument that NBT is a "government mouthpiece" can in no way justify their deplorable behaviour.

SEAPA joins the Thai journalist organizations in respecting the right of Thais to peaceful and unarmed assembly under the current Constitution.

Seapa is a coalition of press freedom advocacy groups from Indonesia, the Philippines and Thailand.

-- The Nation 2008-08-26