PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

These people are a pain in the arse. Protests never solve anything.

Learn history......From France, Russia to Cuba and and and all was done by protests....

... and former GDR quit. But to be honest - change doesn't mean it turns to the better end. Maybe just another group wants to get closer to the feeding bowl. :o

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Khun Korn

Whoever and for whatever reasons sides with Sonthi L. disqualifies himself. :D

Not much to add. The party name of the oldest Thai party should be changed to 'Undemocratic'. You (they) caused partly the mess we are in now. If you excuse the PAD nobody can help you. When and if there is a new election you will see. The Thai people at a whole are not as stupid as you and the so called middle class think they are. :o

What a bunch of worthless thugs. God, they remind me of football hooligans.

If you think they look like football hooligans than there most be something wrong with your eyes.

Please read the following article, maybe it helps you understand the PAD. The real hooligans are in the government.

SHADOW BOXING

Without ethics, there simply is no hope

KORN CHATIKAVANIJ

Last week the gloves came off between the Finance Minister and his Shadow (me). This has nothing to do with the success of our boxers in Beijing (though when is it that we will win two golds?) but more because in my opinion the Minister crossed the line into the indefensible. Queensbury Rules just will not do with this man.

As he said himself in Parliament, unless and until the jail door is slammed shut, everything is to be considered decent and acceptable.

I am, of course, referring to the political interference in the appointments of the Bank of Thailand (BoT) and the Securities Commission (SEC) Boards - as well as the subsequent Stock Exchange Board appointments. All stuffed with questionable individuals chosen by even more questionable political cronies who, I believe, are mostly either illegally conflicted or are individuals facing charges of corruption against the State. All this is compounded by a Cabinet resolution during the week to appoint a crony to the board of the Department of Special Investigations (DSI) - the same crony who was chairman of SC Asset, the Shinawatra property company in the middle of perhaps the biggest outstanding criminal charge against the ex-prime minister - a charge filed by, wait for it, the DSI, of course.

Moreover, the Office of the Attorney-General will not file charges yet - the OAG wants more evidence from the DSI and the SEC. Is the attorney-general now more or less likely to receive cooperation?

I wish I could just move on.

I feel like I've been working these cases for most of my political career so far. I so look forward to the day when we can open a newspaper and not have to read about the ex-prime minister again.

I and, I am sure, most of the readers of this newspaper are fed up with the fact that we cannot move on. The trouble is, of course, we either let them all get away with insulting the lot of us, or we stand and fight - if necessary without gloves.

I, for one, can no longer help it; I am trapped. As long as they chose to cynically subvert our beliefs as to what is right and proper, then we need to stand up to them.

I thought it was bitterly ironic that Khun Thaksin is begging for sympathy in the UK by citing his wish to resign his Manchester City chairmanship in order to protect the club's reputation given the charges made against him in Thailand. Why is he concerned with Man City's honour and yet completely unabashed when it comes to the honour of Thailand's own institutions?

Based on the same rationale, why is Thaksin not requiring his acolytes to resign from positions of prime minister and minister, given criminal charges against them? Perhaps he cares more about Man City than Thailand itself? Or is he merely acknowledging higher ethical requirements in the UK compared with Thailand?

Indeed, the Finance Minister said in response to my challenge to him last week in Parliament that we must not use individual beliefs to judge what is right - and that we must simply abide by the law.

Putting aside the fact that he seems not to be bothered by his boss running away from justice to London, I cannot accept that kind of rationalisation from someone who is a leader of our country.

After all, what is the law if not an attempt to frame our collective beliefs of acceptable, ethical behaviour into civil code?

While one may argue about the existence of absolute rights and wrongs, one cannot argue that laws cannot cover every aspect of proper ethical behaviour.

In short, the Finance Minister is asking us to suspend our ethics and merely resort to conforming with the law. That is not the kind of leadership Thailand needs.

I would indeed argue that above all, what we need today is not more crowd pleasing policies, but leaders setting solid examples of good behaviour. I am not even being simply righteous - I have absolutely no doubt that it would be good business.

What is the fundamental problem of our economy today? It is "trust" and through that, confidence. I am stating the obvious that through confidence comes investment, consumption and everything that goes towards making our economy vibrant.

The fact that our Finance Minister chooses to ignore this means that we have no chance - and I mean it absolutely - we have no chance of doing better than the cyclical movements of the prices of our exports allow us.

I've just heard a report that a very well-known multinational had decided to co-invest with a local company chiefly because it learnt that, in spite of all the opportunities, the local company had treated them with exemplary fairness. How many international firms had come to me when I was an investment banker asking if I could introduce them to Siam Cement? Was it because Siam Cement followed the law? Sure, but much more than that, they knew of the company's reputation for high ethical standards - meaning that even if there was no law, Siam Cement could be expected to do the right thing. This meant Siam Cement always had first choice of all the best potential partners. As I said, it's good business.

The Finance Minister also spoke of "Rights". He was saying that the individuals he chose for these top positions have the right to be selected because they have not yet been conclusively proven guilty. Again, this is disingenuous. They may have rights, but the Minister has Duty. He has the duty to protect the institutions that he oversees to ensure that they continue to be respected and trusted so that they can perform the role expected of them. He needs to understand the concept of the greater good. It is not as if he has to choose the people he does - there are plenty of equally capable individuals whose appointment would not tarnish the reputation of the institutions.

All this is particularly sad when one considers that both the Bank of Thailand and the SEC have regulations that would bar those appointed to their boards (through the Minister's process) from having anything to do with the companies that these two institutions regulate.

How do you answer to that? If I didn't miss-hear him, I think the Minister is actually suggesting that these regulations be amended. He even blamed the whole problem on the Constitution!

I meet people in the world of finance and banking who ask me if there is anything that can be done. The answer is, at the first instance, that we need to alert the public as to what is going on.

However, with this administration, this will achieve little as there is no sense of shame. We are dealing with a political party which has promised to vote back the Prime Minister if he is to be forced to step down as a result of a potential ruling of conflict of interest in his TV cooking show.

As I mentioned earlier, short of putting them behind bars, there appears to be no stopping them, at least not until there is another general election, and until then, we may also need to throw away the key.

Korn Chatikavanij is Shadow Finance Minister.

Email: [email protected]

This is an excellent article from the increasingly frustrated Dem perspective explaining the context of why the PAD are suddenly back. Thaksin left. Talk of gang Of Four defecting. Divisons in PPP. Arrest warrants in various toilets. Thaksin reasserts authority. Revenuegate, DSI committee packed with cronies. BoT committee packed with cronies. Warnings from above aboyut sepnding th country into bankruptcty. PAD unleashed today. Military reshuffle imminent. These things do not happen in isolation. The stakes are getting higher.

What would be intersting today would be a fly on the wall of Samak and the army boys. The PAD are on the streets storming government places. Samak has to go to the military to check his back and work out an acceptable reaction. What does he have to promise today to ensure his back is really still covered. Put it in the context of the above.

I said it was an excellent article from the Dem perspective. I didnt say I agreed with it. It is worth taking in all perpsepctives in order to understand what is going on and not just listening to the side of choice and their propoganda. There really are not many good guys in this whole situation.

Peace

Some posts here are really amazing !

Why those advocates of violence do not take their own golf-clubs (preferably titanium ones) and go out to show to the Police what they have to do ?

It is the job of the police to enforce the law and do the clubbing, not us or PAD, understand?

The job of the police is to police, not to start clubbing people. Understand?

yeah, I'm sure they would listen to reason.

Coverage was live on CNN about 30 minutes ago. Nothing on BBC.

With all due respect, it's unlikely the BBC will consider the story worthy of coverage at the present time. The 'storming' of a TV station, build up of traffic and school kids being sent home only is hardly earth shattering in the context of World News.

While things may escalate, it is not a world news story at present. More serious events elsewhere will continue to dominate the headlines unless something major happens.

For the moment we are looking at a local problem that most of the world are not the slightest bit concerned about. Hopefully the situation will remain that way.

BBC coverage

Mmmm and ToC are reporting that anti-PAD groups are gathering at Sanam Luang. The mix gets even more volatile. Samak needs to say something in his speech to calm this all down.

I just found out a businessman frind of mine who I considered to be quite normal has taken to the streets as well, he has just gone down a bit in my estimation. Hopefully Samak will come up with a solution, resignation might be the only thing that disperses this mob though and I can't see that happening.

He may just declare a state of emergency. I dont see resignation. An election could be an outside shot. In all likelihood he will just condemn certain actions and ask for peace etc. But with the PAD in the compound of government house he cant sound too weak. He is also hamstrung by all the recent government stuffing of various committees with Thaksin cronies which may make it hard for him to get army support beyond a few utterances.

I would think they have already made preparations for a state of emergency. This issue on these things is to do it so that it is viewed to be protecting the bulk of the people. Sonti wants a confrontation to make it look like Samak is the bad guy. Samak wouldn't mind the confrontation, but needs it to look like the PAD are the bad guys.

Live English simocast

Live English simo

Never mind. He is finished.

I get this

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Sorry, some required files are missing, if you intended to view a topic, it's possible that it's been moved or deleted. Please go back and try again.

Useful Links

Cheers

Samak has declared that he will not budge - and has instructed the police to "keep the peace" by taking action against anyone who breaks the law.

To be expected, I guess, and the speech was reasonably fair. Not that I support him at all - but I think this is about all that can be done, unless the PAD go overboard (which, to some extent, they already have today).

Protesters occupying key locations around the capital

BANGKOK: -- By 2.00 pm on Tuesday, protesters led by the People's Alliance for Democracy have managed to occupy many key installations and shut down works.

Protesters are now inside:

- Government House,

- the Education Ministry,

- the Transport Ministry,

- the Agriculture Ministry,

- the Finance Ministry.

- They are rallying in front of the Energy Ministry.

They have taken complete control of two broadcasting stations of NBT Channel located on Vibhavadi Road and Phetchaburi Road respectively.

-- The Nation 2008-08-26

Mmmm and ToC are reporting that anti-PAD groups are gathering at Sanam Luang. The mix gets even more volatile. Samak needs to say something in his speech to calm this all down.

I just found out a businessman frind of mine who I considered to be quite normal has taken to the streets as well, he has just gone down a bit in my estimation. Hopefully Samak will come up with a solution, resignation might be the only thing that disperses this mob though and I can't see that happening.

He may just declare a state of emergency. I dont see resignation. An election could be an outside shot. In all likelihood he will just condemn certain actions and ask for peace etc. But with the PAD in the compound of government house he cant sound too weak. He is also hamstrung by all the recent government stuffing of various committees with Thaksin cronies which may make it hard for him to get army support beyond a few utterances.

I would think they have already made preparations for a state of emergency. This issue on these things is to do it so that it is viewed to be protecting the bulk of the people. Sonti wants a confrontation to make it look like Samak is the bad guy. Samak wouldn't mind the confrontation, but needs it to look like the PAD are the bad guys.

State of Emergnecy is risky for Samak too. The last state of emergency in 1992, funnily enough backed by Samak, resulted in people pouring onto the streets and the rest is history.

PPP to counter PAD

BANGKOK: -- People Power Party MP Pracha Prasopdee on Tuesday announced that he would organise counter crowds if the government failed to disperse the mass rally organised by the People's Alliance for Democracy by 6.00 pm.

Pro-government crowds started to congregate at Sanam Luang.

-- The Nation

On a very personal note I am very worried as my wife is visiting her daughter who is in hospital in Bangkok and has to travel from one side of the city to the other.

I have just driven across the city and did not have any problems, there was a little more traffic in some parts. but thats all. I am sure she will be fine :D

Got your loan then? :o

Samak has declared that he will not budge - and has instructed the police to "keep the peace" by taking action against anyone who breaks the law.

To be expected, I guess, and the speech was reasonably fair. Not that I support him at all - but I think this is about all that can be done, unless the PAD go overboard (which, to some extent, they already have today).

Assumin the above is correct. The military earlier said they didnt think it was necessary to have a state of emergency so he probably got hamstrung. The problem he faces next is the nutty elements in his party who may bring their own groups onto the streets to confront the PAD. This could still turn out messy.

Samak stops short of declaring emergency

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej threatened to take legal actions against protests but stopped short of declaring the state of emergency.

-- The Nation 2008-08-26

BANGKOK: -- By 2.00 pm on Tuesday, protesters led by the People's Alliance for Democracy have managed to occupy many key installations and shut down works.

- Government House,

- the Finance Ministry.

They have taken complete control of two broadcasting stations of NBT Channel located on Vibhavadi Road and Phetchaburi Road respectively.

-- The Nation 2008-08-26

So it appears that the PAD can do whatever they want wherever they want with little or no resistance. What about law and order? It looks very much like they are achieving their goal by stopping the functioning of the Government departmenst. This is anarchy and is now becoming very scary.

Sad day for Thailand.

Cheers, Rick

- Government House,

- the Finance Ministry.

-- The Nation 2008-08-26

So it appears that the PAD can do whatever they want wherever they want with little or no resistance. What about law and order? It looks very much like they are achieving their goal by stopping the functioning of the Government departmenst. This is anarchy and is now becoming very scary.

Sad day for Thailand.

Cheers, Rick

PPP threatening to bring out their own supporters. Not a good development at all.

- Government House,

- the Finance Ministry.

-- The Nation 2008-08-26

Sad day for Thailand.

Cheers, Rick

What you say is the impression government supporters will get and they will be frustrated. This situation is dangerous. That the army said they felt there was no need for emergency rule but it was up to Samak anyway basically removed this option from the table, which may also have frustrated Samak as I am sure he doesnt enjoy looking impotent. Then again there are many games going on.

VERY VERY VERY SCARY

THE SKY IS FALLING

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES.

You are obviously not aware of what happened in the previous military coups and certainly the ones in the 80's. Google it and see if you have the same opinion after reading the info.

Cheers, Rick

- Government House,

- the Finance Ministry.

-- The Nation 2008-08-26

Sad day for Thailand.

Cheers, Rick

PPP threatening to bring out their own supporters. Not a good development at all.

PAD + PPP = bloodshed

coup = bloodshed

therefore

PAD + PPP = coup

Edited by LuckyFive8888

Assumin the above is correct. The military earlier said they didnt think it was necessary to have a state of emergency so he probably got hamstrung. The problem he faces next is the nutty elements in his party who may bring their own groups onto the streets to confront the PAD. This could still turn out messy.

That sounds about right.

He couldn't/wouldn't back down (which is right, otherwise it really would been a bad precedent for the future).

He couldn't declare a state of emergency (way too harsh, plus unlikely to get military backing and would've further eroded any support for him).

This was the middle road - the only way out. In order to take any other road, he needs the PAD to do more than what has happened up to now.

BTW, NBT, having lost both its facilities, is now broadcasting from Channel 3.

Edited by onethailand

The Prime Minister has spoken and told all these people who are causing the trouble today, that this is not a fun thing and it becoming very serious. They have overstepped their mark and he has advised them to go home now before any trouble starts. He has instructed the police force to do what they have to do to restore order, although he has not given any deadline when this will come into force.

Now is the time for people to listen, and end this nonesense before someone becomes seriously hurt.

....Well tain't so hard to have people collect a 100 or so PAD shirts,

put thos shirts on your own paid hooligans and voila!

they LOOK like PAD protestors...

and then the government can BLAME PAD...

Oh and some 'underground movement"...

and at least one general too.

In Pad's history the leaders have ALWAYS talked down violence and such.

These people talk and disrupt traffic, and not much more than be a BIG thorn

in the current government's side. They have no history of violence,

only being the victims of violence against them.

So one must ask:

Historically WHICH SIDE has been normally disposed to violence

and wild actions to shut up the other side talking...

Of course! The same crew that breaks up PAD rallys in the North

and STARTS fights at Prem's house etc.

Just dress them like PAD and they can be blamed as PAD.

And just enough people will believe it. Maybe.

This is a set up for sure. I don't believe it, it is an excuse to try

and co opt the generals, before they can do the big miltary shuffle next month.

Funny isn't this the same timing as 2 years ago.

They so desparately want to re-write the constitution to

save their collective asses they will try most anything.

Can't do a re-write with PAD looking on LOUDLY...

With all due respect, are you one of those guys who believe that it was the CIA and Bush who planned and executed 9/11? Just because PAD is acting irrationally, sees themselves above the law and have attacked some of their own countrymen today you see a conspiracy? Just because stupid people are doing stupid things doesn't mean dark forces are at work nor is there any evidence to support your wild conspiracy theory. .....

'animatic' provided a reasonable argument. we all know, that bush is a liar and a former cia director. and the cia is not famous for its humanitarian acts but for terrorism and support of rightist cruel dictators all over the world. this includes osama bin laden and saddam hussein before they turned around and bit the hand that fed and led them. and you again draw the wrong conclusion: the dark forces here are not the pad, but the puppetmaster pulling strings from manchester and this isn't just a theorie, that's a fact. wouldn't you please be so kind and just admit, that's its not a bad idea for someone who wants to discredit the pad to put some 'agents povocateurs' in their shirts. and do you have one serious reason, why tricky tax-sin should not do everything to get back his frozen assets (several billions)? what does he promise to you?

Samak issues ultimatum to PAD

By The Nation

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej warned protesters on Tuesday that his government's tolerance is drying up but fall short of saying what actions he will take.

Samak assigned Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Pol Gen Kowit Wattana to handle the security situations and to oversees the overall police operation. Samak acccused People's Alliance for Democracy of crossing the lines with its mass protest in Bangkok Tuesday that included the seizing of state-run National Broadcasting Television (NBT) studio and some ministries.

His government's tolerance has nearly come to an end when the PAD-led protesters stormed into the Government House on Tuesday afternoon.

He warned that if the PAD co-leaders still continued their cross-the-line movements, his government is still have many procedures and mechanism to handle the situation.

He mentioned about the emergency laws but said that is another steps.

He warned protesters to go home and go back to their families if they did not want to face legal action. He thanked Bangkokians for not joining the protest.

But for people from up country who joined the protest, the prime minister said they were lured to join and should go back home.

He also said he will take legal action against PAD's leaders who impolitely criticised him on the stages. He said all were recorded and they will surely be faced legal action.