PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaksin, Samak et all are business people who took advantage of the inherent greed of the ordinary Thai voter. They saw the opportunity in the Politics Business to invest 30 million baht to buy 60,000 votes at 500 baht each. 60, 000 Thai voters happy to sell democracy for 500 baht each in each constituency. The businessman/politician will then reap his rewards through corrupt government tenders.

This country won't change until ordinary Thai people stop selling their votes for 500 baht.

Edited by Loaded

Protesters occupying key locations around the capital

BANGKOK: -- By 2.00 pm on Tuesday, protesters led by the People's Alliance for Democracy have managed to occupy many key installations and shut down works.

Protesters are now inside:

- Government House,

- the Education Ministry,

- the Transport Ministry,

- the Agriculture Ministry,

- the Finance Ministry.

- They are rallying in front of the Energy Ministry.

They have taken complete control of two broadcasting stations of NBT Channel located on Vibhavadi Road and Phetchaburi Road respectively.

-- The Nation 2008-08-26

So it appears that the PAD can do whatever they want wherever they want with little or no resistance. What about law and order? It looks very much like they are achieving their goal by stopping the functioning of the Government departmenst. This is anarchy and is now becoming very scary.

Sad day for Thailand.

Cheers, Rick

PPP threatening to bring out their own supporters. Not a good development at all.

PAD + PPP = bloodshed

coup = bloodshed

therefore

PAD + PPP = coup

Short of that, how about Samak and Sondhi pistols at dawn. Since democracy will never be allowed to win the day, maybe Thailand can come up with their own crazy way to settle this because I can't see how this can possibly be resolved without the army getting involved again.

BANGKOK: -- By 2.00 pm on Tuesday, protesters led by the People's Alliance for Democracy have managed to occupy many key installations and shut down works.

- Government House,

- the Finance Ministry.

They have taken complete control of two broadcasting stations of NBT Channel located on Vibhavadi Road and Phetchaburi Road respectively.

-- The Nation 2008-08-26

So it appears that the PAD can do whatever they want wherever they want with little or no resistance. What about law and order? It looks very much like they are achieving their goal by stopping the functioning of the Government departmenst. This is anarchy and is now becoming very scary.

Sad day for Thailand.

Cheers, Rick

What you say is the impression government supporters will get and they will be frustrated. This situation is dangerous. That the army said they felt there was no need for emergency rule but it was up to Samak anyway basically removed this option from the table, which may also have frustrated Samak as I am sure he doesnt enjoy looking impotent. Then again there are many games going on.

Let's face it. Samak would like nothing better than to violently take control. That is his nature. As one analyst has reported, things could get ugly after dark. There is no peaceful solution to this. None at all. Both sides are being controlled by madmen.

Thaksin, Samak et all are business people who took advantage of the inherent greed of the ordinary Thai voter. They saw the opportunity in the Politics Business to invest 30 million baht to buy 60,000 votes at 500 baht each. 60, 000 Thai voters happy to sell democracy for 500 baht each in each constituency. The businessman/politician will then reap his rewards through corrupt government tenders.

This country won't change until ordinary Thai people stop selling their votes for 500 baht.

They were selling them long before Thaksin got involved too.

- Government House,

- the Finance Ministry.

-- The Nation 2008-08-26

Sad day for Thailand.

Cheers, Rick

What you say is the impression government supporters will get and they will be frustrated. This situation is dangerous. That the army said they felt there was no need for emergency rule but it was up to Samak anyway basically removed this option from the table, which may also have frustrated Samak as I am sure he doesnt enjoy looking impotent. Then again there are many games going on.

I totally agree Hammered and i think that this is not looking good especially with the opposition groups taking to the streets. On another note it will be interesting to see how the SET stands at the end of the day and also the number of cancelled flights to the resorts. It could really badly affect the Thai ecomony going forward.

Cheers, Rick

PM issues his last warning to protesters, his patience running out

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej appeared on the live broadcast at 3.00 pm on Tuesday issuing a stern warning for protesters to disperse before authorities starting to enforce the law to restore peace and social order.

Samak said he will not allow five or six protest leaders, who he sees as a street gang, to bring down his government.

"Police will soon starting to enforce the law to clear road blockade at various points in Bangkok and upcountry and evict protesters from government installations, including Government House," he said.

Police will act in accordance with prescribed steps to deal with protesters and soldiers will step in if deemed necessary; there is no way that a handful of people could oust the elected government of 63 million people, he said.

Since morning, protests are no longer peaceful and unarmed as claimed and this is evident from the raid of the NBT station, he said.

He reminded his opponents that he was close to running out of his patience, saying that the government has yet to invoke many security laws and anti-riot measures to disperse the crowds.

The government has appointed Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Kowit Wattana to take charge of restoring normalcy, he said. Kowit would have a full mandate to supervise the police and interior measures.

The prime minister thanked Bangkok residents for refusing to support the protests and called on villagers supporting the People's Alliance for Democracy to reconsider their stand.

He urged the media to provide a cautious coverage in order to avoid inflaming the situation.

He called on PAD supporters to reflect on their stand, arguing that there is no justification to oust the elected government by inciting riots.

-- The Nation 2008-08-26

Samak issues ultimatum to PAD

He also said he will take legal action against PAD's leaders who impolitely criticised him on the stages. He said all were recorded and they will surely be faced legal action.

yeah, you can't have that, can you?

In most countries you get in real troubles if you try to make a coup (like PAD does)(if you loose) but in Thailand you also face legal action for beeing impolite :o:D

PAD declares victory, in defiant of anti-riot measures

BANGKOK: -- Immediately after the prime minister's televised speech calling for the crowds to disperse, People's Alliance for Democracy leader Sondhi Limthongkul showed up on the steps of Thai Khu Fah Building at Government House to declare the victory.

Sondhi vowed to continue the protests until Samak resigned.

He said protesters would not evacuate Government House, the two NBT stations and other installations, shrugging off the government threat to invoke anti-riot measures.

--The Nation 2008-08-26

....Well tain't so hard to have people collect a 100 or so PAD shirts,

put thos shirts on your own paid hooligans and voila!

they LOOK like PAD protestors...

and then the government can BLAME PAD...

Oh and some 'underground movement"...

and at least one general too.

In Pad's history the leaders have ALWAYS talked down violence and such.

These people talk and disrupt traffic, and not much more than be a BIG thorn

in the current government's side. They have no history of violence,

only being the victims of violence against them.

So one must ask:

Historically WHICH SIDE has been normally disposed to violence

and wild actions to shut up the other side talking...

Of course! The same crew that breaks up PAD rallys in the North

and STARTS fights at Prem's house etc.

Just dress them like PAD and they can be blamed as PAD.

And just enough people will believe it. Maybe.

This is a set up for sure. I don't believe it, it is an excuse to try

and co opt the generals, before they can do the big miltary shuffle next month.

Funny isn't this the same timing as 2 years ago.

They so desparately want to re-write the constitution to

save their collective asses they will try most anything.

Can't do a re-write with PAD looking on LOUDLY...

With all due respect, are you one of those guys who believe that it was the CIA and Bush who planned and executed 9/11? Just because PAD is acting irrationally, sees themselves above the law and have attacked some of their own countrymen today you see a conspiracy? Just because stupid people are doing stupid things doesn't mean dark forces are at work nor is there any evidence to support your wild conspiracy theory. .....

'animatic' provided a reasonable argument. we all know, that bush is a liar and a former cia director. and the cia is not famous for its humanitarian acts but for terrorism and support of rightist cruel dictators all over the world. this includes osama bin laden and saddam hussein before they turned around and bit the hand that fed and led them. and you again draw the wrong conclusion: the dark forces here are not the pad, but the puppetmaster pulling strings from manchester and this isn't just a theorie, that's a fact. wouldn't you please be so kind and just admit, that's its not a bad idea for someone who wants to discredit the pad to put some 'agents povocateurs' in their shirts. and do you have one serious reason, why tricky tax-sin should not do everything to get back his frozen assets (several billions)? what does he promise to you?

Crazy talk. By the way Bush's father was the Director of the CIA. I'm not a big fan of conspiracy theories. :o

Samak issues ultimatum to PAD

He also said he will take legal action against PAD's leaders who impolitely criticised him on the stages. He said all were recorded and they will surely be faced legal action.

yeah, you can't have that, can you?

In most countries you get in real troubles if you try to make a coup (like PAD does)(if you loose) but in Thailand you also face legal action for beeing impolite :o:D

completely irrelevant since the quote said criticized, not tried to make a coup.

- Government House,

- the Finance Ministry.

-- The Nation 2008-08-26

Sad day for Thailand.

Cheers, Rick

I totally agree Hammered and i think that this is not looking good especially with the opposition groups taking to the streets. On another note it will be interesting to see how the SET stands at the end of the day and also the number of cancelled flights to the resorts. It could really badly affect the Thai ecomony going forward.

Cheers, Rick

I have been watching the SET today and it is down a bit over 2%. It actually rallied a little bit in the early afternoon. Sometimes things like this creates opportunities.

- Government House,

- the Finance Ministry.

-- The Nation 2008-08-26

Sad day for Thailand.

Cheers, Rick

Let's face it. Samak would like nothing better than to violently take control. That is his nature. As one analyst has reported, things could get ugly after dark. There is no peaceful solution to this. None at all. Both sides are being controlled by madmen.

It almost seems inevitable that there will be a serious violent clash. I almost get the impression that by keep saying there is no need for emergency laws the military are just waiting for this to happen before stepping in, and of course keeping themselves away from the fray until both sides have shown how low they can go.

I agree on Samak. His previous and proven invovlement in massacres is not exactly something to give you confidence in a peaceful compromise and the PAD are now completely off any leash. Samak will not be a happy man looking so utterly impotent after the sezing of every government compound worth talking about, which conversely will be like fuel to the PAD fire. Maybe after dark. Maybe another day, another week another month but it seems only a matter of time and of course the anti-PAD will be gathering and none too pleased at a leader they increasingly distrust doing nothing to smash the PAD.

I don't think the general population has much to fear, stay away from protests that is always good advice, if and when the boots and bullets start to fly only those who get involved get hurt. Hope it doesn't come to that , I am not sure if these people have the stomach for real violence. Maybe it's time HM waved his magic wand again.

That would appear to be the only resolution I think

Some posts here are really amazing !

Why those advocates of violence do not take their own golf-clubs (preferably titanium ones) and go out to show to the Police what they have to do ?

It is the job of the police to enforce the law and do the clubbing, not us or PAD, understand?

You got one helluva a lot to say for yourself for someone who has been a member for two and a half months.

You're not some school boy out to impress your friends are you, because I've lost count of how many separate contributions to this singular thread that you have made (something it appears that you know absolutely zip about) :o

You got one helluva a lot to say for yourself for someone who has been a member for two and a half months.

You're not some school boy out to impress your friends are you, because I've lost count of how many separate contributions to this singular thread that you have made (something it appears that you know absolutely zip about) :o

So I have to be a member here for how long before I can comment? Tool! Feel free to pm me if you want to go into my cv and or have a slanging match.

Edited by gymshark

It is being reported that the police are issuing arrest warrants for 5 PAD leaders.

This is from the Thailand Outlook Channel web site....

Arrest Warrants Soon to Be Issued for PAD Leaders

UPDATE : 26 August 2008

The National Police Office deputy spokesman says authorities believe the PAD is trying to instigate violence despite the group's vow to carry out its protest peacefully. He adds arrest warrants will soon be issued for the key PAD leaders.

The National Police Office Deputy Spokesperson Police Major General Surapol Tuantong spoke to reporters after meeting with related police agencies for over 6 hours. He says there're reasons to believe the PAD is trying to widen the scope of their protest and this could result in violence breaking out.

Police Major General Surapol says the police are current gathering evidence to officially file charges against the 5 key PAD leaders who masterminded the mobile rally strategy that saw many government offices seized by the PAD mobile units.

He adds that many of the actions taken by the PAD leaders violate national security laws. Police are currently putting together enough evidence to file for arrest warrants for the key PAD leaders.

blank.gifspacer.gif

..... Since democracy will never be allowed to win the day, maybe Thailand can come up with their own crazy way to settle this because I can't see how this can possibly be resolved without the army getting involved again.

Well, Anupong said: "There will be no Coup"!

I can see at least ONE MAN in this country who will step forward, if needed!

We may become witnesses of a new dawn......wait and see, how the Thai People resolve their issues...!

Maybe only this way, people ALL OVER THE COUNTRY do start to understand what it is all about...

A corrupt ex-PM on the run with a convicted wife, trying to avoid his own conviction, a corrupt PM and a very "iffy" government behind him, a son of another minister being involved on some shooting incident where a high ranking police officer died is now back in the RTA!

and, and, and.........

The PAD is going to wait till the MP resigns - reminds of the events 2 years ago...

I cant see samak letting the Gov´t House and Tv Station beseiged overnight.

When night falls, things might get ugly. I comes down to how many protesters stay overnight....will the protest ease down in the evening or will everybody stay.

regards

Timo

Edited by timonase

Maybe a deal has been done behind the scenes and the PAD have outlived their usefulness?

That's one scenario; and one in which case protestors are being used as pawns in a game that was about power but now about egos.

Difficult to read what is actually going on the moment.

Guys,

Is it a safe place for tourists now? Tomorrow I go for vacation to Ko Samui via Bangkok.

Believe me when I say NO ONE know what is going to happen tomorrow. If I was to venture a guess I would say it will be business as usual for you and your holiday. However, PAD has promised to disrupt transportation systems. There is the possibility of a coup at any time which may halt all travel in and out of the country. I live in Bangkok and just plan to stay home with my wait and see attitude.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

A shrewd move by Samak IMO. He resisted the urge to make a knee-jerk reaction this morning, stayed physically close to the military, and has now given the PAD enough rope to hang themselves within the confines of the law without having to declare an SofE. Depending upon how accurate the media has been, he's potentially got them on various charges - everything from defamation, trespassing, assault and kidnapping, all the way up to perhaps being able to get a charge of sedition or treason in there (depending on how it is defined in Thai law). They have no leg to stand on constitutionally regarding Free Assembly anymore either as that clause stipulates that such assembly must be unarmed.

I hope he tells the PPP MP who was advocating counter-protests to pipe down - that is where the real potential for escalation remains.