Your National Flag

PIKE

It's not the piece of cloth it is what it stands for. For me it represents my Queen, ruler of my country, commander in chief of the armed forces. That is what makes me proud.

I think you are normal.

And that might be the problem.

That is a PRIMITIVE feeling. Now that we have WMDs and still have our primitive impulses, the future of our species and planet is in peril. We can't possibly evolve fast enough to adapt to to the current realities.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not the piece of cloth it is what it stands for. For me it represents my Queen, ruler of my country, commander in chief of the armed forces. That is what makes me proud.

I think you are normal. And that might be the problem.

That is a PRIMITIVE feeling. Now that we have WMDs and still have our primitive impulses, the future of our species and planet is in peril. We can't possibly evolve fast enough to adapt to to the current realities.

:o:D :D

i also don't understand why anybody is proud of his/her country.

I guess you have to be from somewhere worth being proud of to understand. Where are you from?

I think you don't get the point. For most of us, our country is just where random chance caused us to be born. We didn't procreate ourselves. We just popped out, wherever. So why be proud? I think pride is not exactly the same thing as loving (or not loving) your country.

Edited by Jingthing

I guess you have to be from somewhere worth being proud of to understand. Where are you from?

Kronos, the Klingon homeworld by the looks of things,and check out there flag,looks like another well known one. :o

Hardly a surprise to note that Naam continues in his role as being the biggest pompous arse on these Thai Visa Forums!

Whereas all your posts are legendary for beeing balanced, wise and full of compassion for your fellow citizens. Keep up the positive posting! :o

:D Point taken longtom! Cheers! I generally tend to jump in when people people start defending the indefencable and I often get bumped for it! That's life. I do appreciate your sarcasm though. Just my style!

I think you don't get the point. For most of us, our country is just where random chance caused us to be born. We didn't procreate ourselves. We just popped out, wherever. So why be proud? I think pride is not exactly the same thing as loving (or not loving) your country.

You're not proud of your country because of the whole gay rights thing. Everything else that the USA has done is secondary, true? At least that's what I've gathered from some of your posts on the Olympic threads.

So what are some things one might be proud of? (btw - I LOVE the "most of us" bit. Nice touch even if not verifiable)

Edited by koheesti

You're not proud of your country because of the whole gay rights thing. Everything else that the USA has done is secondary, true? At least that's what I've gathered from some of your posts on the Olympic threads.

So what are some things one might be proud of? (btw - I LOVE the "most of us" bit. Nice touch even if not verifiable)

By most of us, I just mean alot of people have unique histories of immigration where their birth country is not what they consider their main country of allegiance to be. No, I am not talking personally about my own feelings for my own country, but talking much more abstractly about the rationality of being proud about something you had no control in. I can see if you were a pioneer in a country, like an early founder of Israel, that you would be proud of something that you DID that was related to your nationalism, but just being born somewhere doesn't seem like much of an accomplishment.

No, I am not talking personally about my own feelings for my own country, but talking much more abstractly about the rationality of being proud about something you had no control in.

So Gay Pride is also irrational? I just saw the thread title as I was browsing through "View New Posts" so I thought I'd ask. :o

No, I am not talking personally about my own feelings for my own country, but talking much more abstractly about the rationality of being proud about something you had no control in.

So Gay Pride is also irrational? I just saw the thread title as I was browsing through "View New Posts" so I thought I'd ask. :o

A totally different topic which I suggest if you really want to talk about it, you post over there.

A totally different topic which I suggest if you really want to talk about it, you post over there.

I'll take that as a gotchya! moment. :D

you can fly either flag, hang it in you window, display it in you car etc at any time. The op has been informed wrong. On st georges day thre country is swamped with george cross & union jack flags, same as when the football is on.

UK may be crap to some of it's current absentee nationals but I'm pretty sure it is where those same people would head (run) back to if it all went tits up in los :o

I worked in London in a Head Office of one of the 'Big4' Banks. An annual permit (and fee's paid) had to be obtained ANYWHERE That flew a Union Flag (Not allowed to call it a Union Jack anymore!). Gynshark is right about a symbol for armed forces, but us Brits are usually quite about our lads and ladies fighting and/or dying. Probably TOO quiet about it.

Dave

It always was and still is the Union Flag.The only time it should be referred to as the Union Jack is when flown from the jack staff on a naval vessel.

:o Superb!

pride should be based on own achievements. being proud of something accomplished by others is adorning oneself with borrowed plumes, i.e. a sign of weakness. too difficult too understand? if yes, let's change and discuss subjects you are familiar with. will Manchester United make it or not? and if they make it will you be proud of the team even though you are not one of the players?

:D

all said!

There should be no borders and no states. Everybody should live where he wants to. Nobody should think he is superior to others. We all are human beings.

Much more TOLERANCE is what we need.

Dreamers like you are dangerous. That's just the line of thinking all the bad guys want to hear. No controls on where anybody goes, the bin Ladens and Gary Glitters of this world free to roam where ever they want.

Does living where you want to also extend to drawing salary in line with the local rates in the place you choose to reside? Putting up with local education and healthcare for yourself and your family. No, I didn't think so dreamers like you only want this imagined Utopia once you have amassed your wedge back in the real world.

Nationality is what binds us and makes us different. When two strangers meet what is amongst the first things they ask of each other? Where are you from? With your thinking the answer would be Birmingham. But is that Birmingham in the middle of that island roughly 54 Deg, north 2 deg west or Birmingham in that big continent 33 Deg, north 87 Deg west?

And who the hel_l mentioned superiority as a function of nationality (apart from tongue in cheek)?

you can fly either flag, hang it in you window, display it in you car etc at any time. The op has been informed wrong. On st georges day thre country is swamped with george cross & union jack flags, same as when the football is on.

UK may be crap to some of it's current absentee nationals but I'm pretty sure it is where those same people would head (run) back to if it all went tits up in los :o

if it all went tits up in LOS, that is the last place i would run to. and yes years ago i did grow up in that crap hole.

As a Brit I am very proud of our National flag, but even more so being English very proud of The St Georges Cross

what is the basis for your pride? did you design these flags? :o

Naam kind of has a point. Excessive pride in our flags is a symptom of excessive nationalism. The trouble with that, even though it is obviously coming from our basic human natures, is that excessive nationalism has in the past, does in the present, and will in the future been a cause and justification for all kinds of wars. Not all of these wars make sense. Flag love isn't as innocent as it might appear. In the US, during times of building up to the 911 war, the flags came out everywhere, and frankly, it was VERY CREEPY. The people who were displaying the flags (and I mean everywhere, with no real respect for it) were often taking the stand that if you DIDN'T wear the flag on your chest, you didn't love your country and probably were on the side of the enemies.

have to agree here,too much national pride not good and excesice flag waving is part of this too

The Thai national anthem, English translation

Thailand embraces in its bosom all people of Thai blood

Every inch of Thailand belongs to the Thais

It has long maintained its sovereignty

Because the Thais have always been united

The Thai people are peace-loving

But they are no cowards at war

They shall allow no one to rob them of their independence

Nor shall they suffer tyranny

All Thais are ready to give up every drop of blood

For the nation's safety, freedom and progress.

pride should be based on own achievements. being proud of something accomplished by others is adorning oneself with borrowed plumes, i.e. a sign of weakness. too difficult too understand? if yes, let's change and discuss subjects you are familiar with. will Manchester United make it or not? and if they make it will you be proud of the team even though you are not one of the players?

:o

Some of us feel as a part of OUR country (a "player" so to speak) so we can be proud of our own country's achievements. A country is made up of its citizens. A football club isn't made up of its fans. I think some people (sounds like you are one) don't consider themselves a part of their own country. Maybe the problem lies within the definition? Maybe some equate current gov't with "country"?

Edited by koheesti

The Thai national anthem, English translation

Thailand embraces in its bosom all people of Thai blood

Every inch of Thailand belongs to the Thais

It has long maintained its sovereignty

insert the line:

"But we'll happily rent it out if you're interested"

Boo, of course you can display the St Georges Cross on the national day, but what i am saying is, SOME people have been told that by doing so it is offending others, This is wrong!!!!

:o

Some of us feel as a part of OUR country (a "player" so to speak) so we can be proud of our own country's achievements. A country is made up of its citizens. A football club isn't made up of its fans. I think some people (sounds like you are one) don't consider themselves a part of their own country. Maybe the problem lies within the definition? Maybe some equate current gov't with "country"?

your assumption is correct. i don't consider myself a part of the country in which i was born and who's passport i carry. the reasons: i live abroad, i don't pay any taxes in my country, have no responsibilities towards my country and i don't take part in the jokes called elections although i am eligible. as simple as that. if you are proud of your country i have to accept it. but i still don't see the reason why anybody would be proud (especially being proud of a flag).

having said so, i wish to point out that i respect ANY national flag and i stand straight (to the amusement of my wife) when ANY national anthem is played. the latter no matter whether it is the british, the american, the german, the thai or the one of Papua New Guinea.

I can't believe that you can't fly the flag. If it's actually true, there has to be another reason for it.

It is cool to see Brits slamming the UK instead of the USA.

Yes, I still feel proud to be an American and see the colors. I can still find many reasons to slam it though. It's alright to slam how your own country is <deleted> up, but it's irritating when people from other countries do it.

Not if they are slamming it about the same things that i slam it about.

Yet another urban legend that sucks in the gullible! This one has been doing the rounds for years. As Boo has stated, you are free to fly (virtually) any flag you wish in the UK. The reason many people do not do this (unless it is because of some sporting/royal/military) occasion is that generally only one UK political party in the UK use the union and St Georges flags as a symbol - the British National Party. From reading many of the posts here, I see many would fit in rather well with this party.

There should be no borders and no states. Everybody should live where he wants to. Nobody should think he is superior to others. We all are human beings.

yep, Tolerance would be needed, tons of it, given the "noble" idea you're sporting, it would get very, very crowded in some places, while many other places would be deserted forever!

And then... it wouldn't change anything, to the better, agreed?

yep, Tolerance would be needed, tons of it, given the "noble" idea you're sporting, it would get very, very crowded in some places, while many other places would be deserted forever!

And then... it wouldn't change anything, to the better, agreed?

...well. if it would be like that, human nature would be completely different, too. In that szenario there would be no poor people anymore, because tolerance includes compassion and vis verca. Seeing someone else suffer, would be not more tolerated. Maybe that's paradise.

You are right. The human kind is by far not ready for that. If you would open all the bordes right now, it would be total chaos and much more violence like we have already.

But maybe we should open it a little be more than it is right now...