Your National Flag

PIKE

As a Brit I am very proud of our National flag, but even more so being English very proud of The St Georges Cross, after living in Thailand for not far off 10 years i feel the Thais feel the same for there own, it is on display everywhere,from cereal packets to the factorys,good for them i say!!

Over the past few months i have been hearing from fellow Brits who still live in the UK that you cannot display our flag even on St Georges Day as it has been deemed racist and offensive,what a joke!! I remember as a kid the Queens silver jubilee there was Union Jacks everywhere you looked, could you do this now?? I know this topic is not really Thai orientated but i would be interested to hear other members views on this and how they feel for there National flag.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The first thing that struck me about the United States when I went to work there is the number of houses flying the Stars and Stripes. I remarked then to my colleagues that if you fly the Union Flag in the UK you get labelled as a nutter or a rabid BNP member.

But in Thailand people fly the national flag with pride and a photograph of the Royal Family is obligatory.

How many British homes and businesses do similar?

Here in Viet Nam it is the same except the photo is of Ho Chi Minh.

In the UK the apologists and cringing liberals are doing their level best to make us ashamed to be British. They want us to send our envoys crawling around our former colonies issueing grovelling apologies for the actions of our great great grandparents. They accept all these immigrants who come searching for a better life then tell us we can't fly the flag or a host of other things because we may upset the ethnic minorities.

Mind you, all by ourselves we have reduced our Royal Family to little more than a laughing stock for third rate comics.

Sometimes I think Thailand's xenophobia is not such a bad thing. Maintain the national and cultural identity, allow a small number of immigrants in but give them no power. If the immigrants don't like it, revoke their visas.

You can fly the flay of any other nation you want in the UK...but not the English George Cross.

Crap Country....that's why im here!!!!!

Ok hold on. Yeah, it is the one thing that makes me so annoyed about the UK (actually i've got dozens of em') As soon as you speak to anybody in authority about it they give you the one about 'we dont want to upset the minority'

IDIOTS :o YOUR UPSETTING THE MAJORITY!!!!!!

(Disclaimer:Not a crap Country...just run by morons)

You can fly the flay of any other nation you want in the UK...but not the English George Cross.

Ok hold on. Yeah, it is the one thing that makes me so annoyed about the UK (actually i've got dozens of em') As soon as you speak to anybody in authority about it they give you the one about 'we dont want to upset the minority'

crap country, i couldn't agree more

crap country, i couldn't agree more

There is nothing wrong with the country, same as Thailand it is the leaders and a few A Holes that spoil it.

I was told by a British friend once that the Brits don't consider their flag anything more than a piece of cloth and can never understand why Americans (in general) revere their own flag so much. He told me of how after 9/11 the US Ambassador in London presented a British flag to the UK Home Secretary that had been recovered from the rubble of the WTC. http://edition.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/0...rope.memorials/

My Brit friend said that they were embarrassed that the Yanks would save it and bring back to London because to them it wasn't anything special. C'mon, nothing wrong with a little pride in your nation or flag, is there?

I was told by a British friend once that the Brits don't consider their flag anything more than a piece of cloth and can never understand why Americans (in general) revere their own flag so much. He told me of how after 9/11 the US Ambassador in London presented a British flag to the UK Home Secretary that had been recovered from the rubble of the WTC. http://edition.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/0...rope.memorials/

My Brit friend said that they were embarrassed that the Yanks would save it and bring back to London because to them it wasn't anything special. C'mon, nothing wrong with a little pride in your nation or flag, is there?

Sounds like <deleted> to me, I can't even count the number of times I stood to attention and saluted our flag and even in my most rebelious stages it still had meaning for me, try burning it in a UK street and see what people do to save that peice of cloth, I know I wouldn't stand by and watch. I am not a mad patriot or anything but that flag represents my Queen and my country.

It sometimes amuses me that in western countries the whites are all tied up in knots trying not to appear racist or offend any non-white even to the point of not flying the nationatl flag. I can tell you that people in non-white countries would see this as utterly stupid, however, seeing that they (immigrants) could get some mileage out of it would get on the bandwaggon and seek the non-flying of the flag too, but at the same time fight for their right to fly their own native flag outside thier country of origin. And they would win. It just shows you how F***** up westeners are about their guilt trip. Try that in say, Thailand, for example, . The idea of not flying the national flag at every given opportunity just wouldn't fly. Pun intended.

As a Brit I am very proud of our National flag, but even more so being English very proud of The St Georges Cross

what is the basis for your pride? did you design these flags? :o

Oh dear, hear we go.

Jealousy because it was a flag the Hun couldn't capture. :D

Although there are many things about Britain that I love and I am proud of, I actually do have a few issues with the union Jack myself. I feel there is much in our past that we should feel a degree of shame about - namely the invasion and subsequent desertion of many countries who now as a result are facing/have faced many many years of brutal civil war and political unrest. All of this was done in the name of our flag. I feel the same way when I see the many stars and stripes flying in the US. I am a dual citizen, and again there are many things I feel proud about being a US citizen, but to me the flag symbolises not the accomplishments of the nation but it's failures in foreign policy (see the Vietnam and the Iraqi wars) and to see it remind

I do not though have anything against people who choose to fly these flags, and I understand especially for the older generations that lived through a world war, that the union jack/St. George's cross symbolises our victory over a formidable opponent. I also do not agree with a government discouraging the display of a national flag as this goes against a person's freedom of expression . I just would personally not do it, at least on a permenant basis.

As a Brit I am very proud of our National flag, but even more so being English very proud of The St Georges Cross

Hardly a surprise to note that Naam continues in his role as being the biggest pompous arse on these Thai Visa Forums!

Naam kind of has a point. Excessive pride in our flags is a symptom of excessive nationalism. The trouble with that, even though it is obviously coming from our basic human natures, is that excessive nationalism has in the past, does in the present, and will in the future been a cause and justification for all kinds of wars. Not all of these wars make sense. Flag love isn't as innocent as it might appear. In the US, during times of building up to the 911 war, the flags came out everywhere, and frankly, it was VERY CREEPY. The people who were displaying the flags (and I mean everywhere, with no real respect for it) were often taking the stand that if you DIDN'T wear the flag on your chest, you didn't love your country and probably were on the side of the enemies.

Edited by Jingthing

Although there are many things about Britain that I love and I am proud of, I actually do have a few issues with the union Jack myself. I feel there is much in our past that we should feel a degree of shame about - namely the invasion and subsequent desertion of many countries who now as a result are facing/have faced many many years of brutal civil war and political unrest. All of this was done in the name of our flag.

Let's not forget that many of those countries kicked us out as they could do a much better job of running their own country. India, Malaysia and Singapore are three examples of how it should have been done although India went through some painfull times with partition.

Also we should recognise that much colonialism, British and other European powers, was more about protecting commercial interests than furthering the British Empire.

But to return to topic (and to try and make it Thailand related), what do the Thai members feel about their national flag? Do you feel a surge of nationalistic pride when you see it raised at say the Olympics? Do you fly the flag at your home?

Naam kind of has a point. Excessive pride in our flags is a symptom of excessive nationalism. The trouble with that, even though it is obviously coming from our basic human natures, is that excessive nationalism has in the past, does in the present, and will in the future been a cause and justification for all kinds of wars. Not all of these wars make sense. Flag love isn't as innocent as it might appear. In the US, during times of building up to the 911 war, the flags came out everywhere, and frankly, it was VERY CREEPY. The people who were displaying the flags (and I mean everywhere, with no real respect for it) were often taking the stand that if you DIDN'T wear the flag on your chest, you didn't love your country and probably were on the side of the enemies.

Being proud of my national flag is how i feel, but excessively proud!! well, i dont walk around in Union Jack shorts and dont own a pair of Union Jack pyjamas, I am a proud Englishman but am not that proud of England for various reasons, which again is how i feel, to see the GB team have a great Olympics has restored some of that pride, but what has pissed me off is these stories of some local authorities saying that it may be offensive to some parties to display our flag, if that is the case, if you dont like it then go elsewhere.....I would be a bit stronger on my solution but dont want a slap wrist.

I worked in London in a Head Office of one of the 'Big4' Banks. An annual permit (and fee's paid) had to be obtained ANYWHERE That flew a Union Flag (Not allowed to call it a Union Jack anymore!). Gynshark is right about a symbol for armed forces, but us Brits are usually quite about our lads and ladies fighting and/or dying. Probably TOO quiet about it.

Dave

Hardly a surprise to note that Naam continues in his role as being the biggest pompous arse on these Thai Visa Forums!

Whereas all your posts are legendary for beeing balanced, wise and full of compassion for your fellow citizens. Keep up the positive posting! :o

I can't believe that you can't fly the flag. If it's actually true, there has to be another reason for it.

It is cool to see Brits slamming the UK instead of the USA.

Yes, I still feel proud to be an American and see the colors. I can still find many reasons to slam it though. It's alright to slam how your own country is <deleted> up, but it's irritating when people from other countries do it.

JT, i still don't understand the reason why people are proud of a flag. i also don't understand why anybody is proud of his/her country. i asked a question but didn't get any valid answer. not that i expected an answer because there is none.

when this flag wearing came up after sep11 i asked my neighbours why they were pinning it on their lapels. the answer was "to show our support and to demonstrate that we condemn terrorism". when i asked "if you weren't wearing the flag would anybody think you condone murderous terrorism and the killing of innocent people?" i got no answer but i think you are right

quote: "if you DIDN'T wear the flag on your chest, you didn't love your country and probably were on the side of the enemies"

which i think is ridiculous.

JT, i still don't understand the reason why people are proud of a flag. i also don't understand why anybody is proud of his/her country. i asked a question but didn't get any valid answer. not that i expected an answer because there is none.

when this flag wearing came up after sep11 i asked my neighbours why they were pinning it on their lapels. the answer was "to show our support and to demonstrate that we condemn terrorism". when i asked "if you weren't wearing the flag would anybody think you condone murderous terrorism and the killing of innocent people?" i got no answer but i think you are right

quote: "if you DIDN'T wear the flag on your chest, you didn't love your country and probably were on the side of the enemies"

which i think is ridiculous.

It's not the piece of cloth it is what it stands for. For me it represents my Queen, ruler of my country, commander in chief of the armed forces. That is what makes me proud.

what is the basis for your pride? did you design these flags? :D

there are pompous <deleted> like me who have something to say and there are pompous <deleted> like you who have nothing to say :o

does someone has a problem somewhere?

remember the days of Franco Rule in Spain, driving with a Bully (VW-Minibus) through Spain, one day at the beach somewhere down south the "Guardia Civil" came by and forced us very unpleasantly to take off the German flag we had on the spare wheel in front of the bully....we drove through half of Europe with it.... ah well..

The other day on a 'then still very remote" beach on samui some German fella put up the Imperial war flag at the beach - it is illegal in Germany.....thought he might have had some sort of urge... to sport this flag!

ahhh well.... the other day in a Thai Music Pub... the flag was upside down, nobody noticed, except those who knew, locals thought it was quite funny but not intentional though...

what is the basis for your pride? did you design these flags? :D

there are pompous <deleted> like me who have something to say and there are pompous <deleted> like you who have nothing to say :o

I rest my case! Pompous <deleted> are always the ones that have something to say. It's what they say that makes them pompous! Farewell my dear fellow. I have no desire to mix words with you. Until you make your next pompous statement that is! That shouldn't be too long!