Lenovo Thinkpad

Gary A

My T43p Thinkpad runs fine but after a download or update it won't reboot. I get 4 short beeps then three longer beeps. The fan stays on, the mouse stays lit and the battery light and the one to the left of it stay on. The light to the left of the battery light looks like a lightning bolt. So far, if I press the start button the lights go off and after it sits for a half hour or so, it will boot OK. I thought maybe it was a heat problem but after waiting and a start up, if I go to restart after a complete boot, I get the same set of beeps. If I shut it down rather than restart, I get the same beeps.

It looks like I may get a chance to test the three year warranty. The warranty is good until April 2009.

The only 4 beeps error sequence I know about all Thinkpad models is a problem with the security chip on the MB.

Bring it to IBM center (Ari BTS), they are quick to fix problems. I've been there 3 times, never seen a queue, no need to call before, they changed twice my Thinkpad fan in 30mn and once the LCD panel in 2 hours. Much quicker than HK or SG.

Unfortunately I live in the boonies and it is an eight hour drive to Bangkok. I'll have to get phone authorization and then mail it to them. I have not been able to find anything as far as the beep sequence. It appears the four short beeps indicate the security chip but nothing on the following three longer beeps.

Guest Reimar
Unfortunately I live in the boonies and it is an eight hour drive to Bangkok. I'll have to get phone authorization and then mail it to them. I have not been able to find anything as far as the beep sequence. It appears the four short beeps indicate the security chip but nothing on the following three longer beeps.

Gary, if you can, open the Memory slot, take out the memory('s) and clean the connector feet's with an pencil rubber.

Cheers.

Guest Reimar
Removing the RAM cover only shows the extra slot for adding another memory board. The existing one gig board is not accessible.

Ok Gary, the main memory is below the Keyboard. Please download the Service Manual for your Laptop from HERE

On Page 185 you can find the location of the memory.

Cheers.

Four screws and the keyboard came out. I guess you just have to know how to get it apart. I took out the RAM board and shined up the contacts with an eraser. I put it back together and got the same beep message. No luck.

There are no beep codes that match four short and three long beeps.

Guest Reimar
Four screws and the keyboard came out. I guess you just have to know how to get it apart. I took out the RAM board and shined up the contacts with an eraser. I put it back together and got the same beep message. No luck.

Looks like you've only 2 ways now what you can try yourself:

1.: Reset the Bios to the old one (you can download from IBM HERE)

2.: send the Laptop to Lenovo (I know, a terrible solution for you!)

Maybe you check the Service manual for to reset the whole Laptop?!

If you can't, let me know and I'll ask and IBM engineer tomorrow may he can help.

Cheers.

Looks like you've only 2 ways now what you can try yourself:

1.: Reset the Bios to the old one (you can download from IBM HERE)

2.: send the Laptop to Lenovo (I know, a terrible solution for you!)

Maybe you check the Service manual for to reset the whole Laptop?!

If you can't, let me know and I'll ask and IBM engineer tomorrow may he can help.

Cheers.

I was going to update the bios but found the one they listed is version 1.29 which is the same one I have so I didn't download it.

I looked through the entire manual and didn't see any master reset for the unit. A couple of weeks ago I restored the entire system and wasted a lot of time for nothing. I have set the bios all to default. The beeping problem seems to be getting worse. When it first started, if I left it sit for ten minutes or so it would restart OK. When it does boot it seems to run fine.

I'd appreciate if you could ask the IBM engineer his opinion.

Edited by Gary A

I emailed IBM and received an answer about an hour later. Since I don't have a land line and their toll free number won't work with my hand phone, they said they would call me.

Sure enough I got a call and they had me describe my problem. They wanted me to take my computer to Bangkok until I told them I live in Loei. They gave me a choice of taking it to Khon Kaen, Pitsanaluk or Udon Thani. Udon Thani is the closest so tomorrow I'm taking a trip to Udon Thani. They gave me a report number to give them at the shop and told me that if the shop had the parts, they would fix it on the spot. If they don't have the parts they will have to get them from Bangkok.

I'll let you know how the warranty job works out. So far I'm impressed with their quick response.