"look, Look At The Falang"

Dakhar

Yesterday, I went to Chesters with my wife, and a young Thai couple came in to the restaraunt carrying their young girl. The girl looked to be about 2 years old. The child had a pair of glasses on that were the thickest I have ever seen in my life. The child had to have been essentially blind.

So the parents of the child see me, and began with the usual chant to their kid.... " Look, Look at the Falang."

I thought to myself.... I wish my son was here with me now, so I could say to him.... "Look, Look at the Blind kid."

I wonder how that would have gone over?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday, I went to Chesters with my wife, and a young Thai couple came in to the restaraunt carrying their young girl. The girl looked to be about 2 years old. The child had a pair of glasses on that were the thickest I have ever seen in my life. The child had to have been essentially blind.

So the parents of the child see me, and began with the usual chant to their kid.... " Look, Look at the Falang."

I thought to myself.... I wish my son was here with me now, so I could say to him.... "Look, Look at the Blind kid."

And I would never have used a blind kid in an attempt to make a point.

They all assume we don't speak Thai, when I (on rare occasions) have people say something like "look at the farang" I just turn around and growl at them, and I mean growl, it wipes the smile off for a second then I smile and say something to them in Thai (not just a sawasdee) and it has never failed to get a positive response.

While I agree with JUDAS, it's still a funny comeback.

No. It would have been funny if he said "Look at the Thais" since that is the same that they did but making fun of a kid that age is never funny. Especially one with any kind if disability.

Listen, from a joke point of view it makes no sense to say "Look at the Thais" when he is surrounded by Thais everyday all day. Plus the blind kid wouldn't understand what was being said.

And I guarantee you have laughed at jokes or at something on TV or the movies involving someone with a disability. Lighten up.

Some Thais do that. Happened to me many times. They do not mean to be rude and they do not know, that many farangs will be offended or feel like an animal in a zoo.

Best thing to do: smiling, if you can, if not, ignoring

While I agree with JUDAS, it's still a funny comeback.

No. It would have been funny if he said "Look at the Thais" since that is the same that they did but making fun of a kid that age is never funny. Especially one with any kind if disability.

Listen, from a joke point of view it makes no sense to say "Look at the Thais" when he is surrounded by Thais everyday all day. Plus the blind kid wouldn't understand what was being said.

And I guarantee you have laughed at jokes or at something on TV or the movies involving someone with a disability. Lighten up.

I guarantee that as an adult I have never found it funny to make fun of a 2 years olds disability and i will not lighten up in that regard. I have no problem making fun of the parents since they are the ones that deserved it.

I have been in a situation where saying look at the thai was funny to all the other thais around. It pointed out how stupid it was for someone to say look at the falang. It makes the person saying look at the falang look like a countyr bumpkin that has never seen a falang before.

It reminds me of when I met my wife's family the first time.

And I am pretty sure the following is very familiar to most of the members here.

:o

Small willage up in the north east.

The "circus was in town", which was me of course.

Lost count of how many that stopped by grand fathers house, just to have a look at me.

Almost like the "look what the dog dragged home" experience.

Everybody chatted about me.

Quite an amazing experience.

I thought it was kind of funny though.

Absolutely my biggest 15 minutes of fame.

:D

But of course, I understand this.

Im from a smaller country in northern Europe where people (only 30 years ago) turned and looked in amazement when mixed raced couples walked down the street hand in hand.

People in many of the smaller fishing willages up north had only seen a black person, or an asian for that sake, on television.

Well aside from being incredibly rude and childish, to refer to a young child's disability :o , I find it amusing how so many get up in arms at being called a farang! Those people who come to arms at this supposed slur should lighten up....... who cares, aren't there more important things to become indignant over? Just tell yourself that they are jealous, they want to be falangs also, that's why the sales of whitening cream is on the rise in Thailand! :D

An adult who would like to make fun of a kid with a disability? Yeah, good idea.

In this day and age when we are bombarded by eletronic images of every type and description of person, to hear Thai people make comments about or point out the simple presence of a foreign white-skinned person (farang, if you must) seems very childish and silly, but TIT.

Besides, look at most advertisements in Thailand where a person is used to promote a product, and you'll see that the people in those ads rarely look Thai -- they are usually white skinned and very foreign looking, so if they want to see what foreigners look like they only need to look at the products on the shelves of their stores or the advertisements where models are used. This has always seemed very strange to me considering Thais will tell you that they are extremely proud people.

But anyway, when the situation arises where a parent points me out to his or her child and says, "Look, a farang." I usually look at them with a shocked and worried expression then quickly look behind me while saying, "Tee-nai?" Occasionally, the parent sees the humour in what I'm doing and has a chuckle, but usually they just looked confused. Oh well!

I don't know what your problem is when a Thai says, look, look, a farang!! That is spoken by Thais all the time!! To describe a FARANG!!!

If your dumb ass would have said "look at the blind kid" to your son, your son would have given you the GAY look, cuz he's only 2... and most Thias would not have known <deleted> you were talking about if you said "look at the blind kid".. You're IGNORANT!!

Dude, I visit the country side all the time.. There are very little FARANGS..... in some of the places I go to, the families I hang out with gets all excited to tell me that there is another FARANG in there little town... They are so excited to point that out to me.. I don't know why, but they do.. and I accept it..

So, if someone paid attention to your dumb ass because you're a FARANG, and obviously it was big deal to that family that saw you, then you need to get over your insecure life.. LOSER!!

I'll add.. I've heard Thais say FARANG in my direction in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and some other places I don't recall the names, but it's not an issue, unless you're a LOSER!!

I wish you would said what you thought of saying in front of me to your son.. You figure the math out!!

Someone give neion2000 a valium or 2 please :o

The topic was/is tongue in cheek

It reminds me of when I met my wife's family the first time.

And I am pretty sure the following is very familiar to most of the members here.

:o

Small willage up in the north east.

The "circus was in town", which was me of course.

Lost count of how many that stopped by grand fathers house, just to have a look at me.

Almost like the "look what the dog dragged home" experience.

Everybody chatted about me.

Quite an amazing experience.

I thought it was kind of funny though.

Absolutely my biggest 15 minutes of fame.

:D

But of course, I understand this.

Im from a smaller country in northern Europe where people (only 30 years ago) turned and looked in amazement when mixed raced couples walked down the street hand in hand.

People in many of the smaller fishing willages up north had only seen a black person, or an asian for that sake, on television.

Know a couple of european backpackers, who came to a football game in an indonesian village. As soon as they were among the spectators, everybody looked at them. Even the game was interrupted and all the players looked at them.

I don't know what your problem is when a Thai says, look, look, a farang!! That is spoken by Thais all the time!! To describe a FARANG!!!

If your dumb ass would have said "look at the blind kid" to your son, your son would have given you the GAY look, cuz he's only 2... and most Thias would not have known <deleted> you were talking about if you said "look at the blind kid".. You're IGNORANT!!

Dude, I visit the country side all the time.. There are very little FARANGS..... in some of the places I go to, the families I hang out with gets all excited to tell me that there is another FARANG in there little town... They are so excited to point that out to me.. I don't know why, but they do.. and I accept it..

So, if someone paid attention to your dumb ass because you're a FARANG, and obviously it was big deal to that family that saw you, then you need to get over your insecure life.. LOSER!!

I'll add.. I've heard Thais say FARANG in my direction in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and some other places I don't recall the names, but it's not an issue, unless you're a LOSER!!

I wish you would said what you thought of saying in front of me to your son.. You figure the math out!![/b]

These are the comments of a Looney tune.

Have you ever been incarcerated sometime in your life?

I certainly wouldn’t want to meet you or want any of my family meet you out and about. WOW! I would advise the OP or anyone else not to make any retaliatory comments when in public places, as these people could be dangerous manics like the above. (Scary)

Edited by sassienie

Well I've been a Limey, Gringo, Farang and a whole lot more and it just doesn't bother me at all. I guess I've just developed a very thick skin. I do agree with the posters who thought retaliating by getting at the girl's disability is a bit dirty but, supposing you don't have the hide of a Rhinoceros, what would be the best/correct response? Having given it some thought I quite like Beacher's "Tee-nai" as a low key, humorous response.

Yes, I suppose it could be construed as rude or ignorant depending on your view of the word farang. But really how different is it to taking your young child out back in the west and saying "Look, look a policeman" or bus driver etc etc.

My standard reply is "My my, what good eyes you have" or "Have you never seen a farang before?" and then piss myself laughing at the reaction. :o

Seriously, you can't let that "farang, farang" bother you or you'll end up in the loony bin within months of setting foot on Thai soil.

Cheers,

Soundman. :D

Yes, this reminds me of an incident On Pahonyothin Road. I was waiting with my gf ( of 6 years ) for a bus. We were both well dressed and looked very respectable. Two other girls at the bus stop, also well dressed, could not take their eyes off us. We are used to this happening occassionaly so took no notice but after a full two minutes had elapsed and they were still staring in a snobish kind of way I lost my cool. I walked up to within 2 feet of them and proceed to stare at them from every angle, front and back with my eyes bugging out and mouth agog. It had the desired result and they didn't look at us again. It was worth the hard pinch on my arm from my gf as punishment :o

Yes, this reminds me of an incident On Pahonyothin Road. I was waiting with my gf ( of 6 years ) for a bus. We were both well dressed and looked very respectable. Two other girls at the bus stop, also well dressed, could not take their eyes off us. We are used to this happening occassionaly so took no notice but after a full two minutes had elapsed and they were still staring in a snobish kind of way I lost my cool. I walked up to within 2 feet of them and proceed to stare at them from every angle, front and back with my eyes bugging out and mouth agog. It had the desired result and they didn't look at us again. It was worth the hard pinch on my arm from my gf as punishment :D

living in thailand i expect to be called a farang.in the sticks ,but not in bkk or samui ,to do this in a big city where there are many farangs and the thais see them on a daily basis is in my opinion rude and insulting :o ,and just shows there ignorance

Yes, this reminds me of an incident On Pahonyothin Road. I was waiting with my gf ( of 6 years ) for a bus. We were both well dressed and looked very respectable. Two other girls at the bus stop, also well dressed, could not take their eyes off us. We are used to this happening occassionaly so took no notice but after a full two minutes had elapsed and they were still staring in a snobish kind of way I lost my cool. I walked up to within 2 feet of them and proceed to stare at them from every angle, front and back with my eyes bugging out and mouth agog. It had the desired result and they didn't look at us again. It was worth the hard pinch on my arm from my gf as punishment :D

Maybe they have powers to see beyond obvious. :D:o

I guarantee that as an adult I have never found it funny to make fun of a 2 years olds disability and i will not lighten up in that regard.

I wasn't that specific in regards to "make fun of a 2 years olds disability" so I'll stick by my original guarantee. Don't worry, you're still human.

Q. What do you call a tennis match between Helen Keller and Stevie Wonder?

A. Endless Love