"look, Look At The Falang"

Dakhar

Don't flatter yourself P.H, I would not give a rats a@@ what you think about my actions. So I would not come here and ask for your aproval etc.

No, I just wanted to share some "irony of the day." Some family looking at me like I am an obsurdity, when their little bundle of joy could be percieved just the same. Some folks seem to have seem to have "registered" that irony, while with others it seems to have gone right over their heads.

Oh well, we can not all be the same... evidently.

Even if I did make such a preconcieved comment, which I did not, the comment would have only registered with the parents because I doubt seriosly the child would have understood English, and possibly neither would have the parents. But hey all this is pure conjecture at this point, because it is like trying to end a "dream" after wakeing up... the dream is over, the oppertunity is over.

They went on their merry way, as well as I did. They will continue teaching their child that white folks are to be percieved as an oddity, rather than a human being.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will continue teaching their child that white folks are to be percieved as an oddity, rather than a human being.

Much in the same way as Thai people are seen as Human beings by 99% of the posters on this forum, and not as some kind of oddity...... :o

Yeah right. :D

Edited by Maigo6

Some family looking at me like I am an obsurdity,

ahhh your insecurity and paranoia reveled at last..as others have said, you have no idea what was going on in those parents mind, they might have just been showing their child something new like a post man or bus driver, but you choose to perceive it as a threat to you and an assault on your character

not something i would do if i had kids, go around and pointing out people of other races for my child's benefit but i think they were trying to educate their kid to the outside world and you shouldn't be so defensive about it

Dude, maybe they were from the rice field, since they were well dressed for going to Chester's Grill.

Yes I agree, Thai people like to dress nicely when we go out no matter how hot it is.

And those mother need to give her kid some distraction from something buy saying look look at farang !

OP should forgive them of the way they raise the child here by offensive or kind of insult you. Just remember a nice things and ignore anoying.

Geez, now it is Gawk at the white people for an education time..... Well then for educational purposes, instructing my child to gawk at their blind kid, strictly for educational purposes, is ok then.. Who knows my son may want to become a opthamologist one day?

All clear now, move a long.

Edited by Dakhar

No, I just wanted to share some "irony of the day." Some family looking at me like I am an obsurdity, when their little bundle of joy could be percieved just the same.

Maybe they were trying to make the kid feel better because other people are always pointing and him and making comments about his coke-bottle glasses? "See the farang, honey? You're not the only freak around." (clarification - I'm just joking. Farang doesn't bother me in the slightest).

BTW - the other day we had a little BBQ and my American neighbor cooked potatoes on the grill (like big baked potatoes). He overheard his girlfriend saying "farang" and thought she was refering to us. She said no, she was refering to the potatoes. Any language experts here who might be able to shed light on that?

My wife says...Thais call you farang...(don't worry about that)

Family or wife call you farang...(worry about that)

Precisely, it's not affectionate!

At the end of the day, they don't actually like us (in general), get on with it, accept it, and try to change their minds about us individually.

Let's face it, why should they like us?! Their women flock to any old (falang) man who's going because he's got more money than they can hope to have!

Christ, the old saying about the yanks of 'overpaid, oversexed and over here' has got nothing on the falangs here!!

Yesterday, I went to Chesters with my wife, and a young Thai couple came in to the restaraunt carrying their young girl. The girl looked to be about 2 years old. The child had a pair of glasses on that were the thickest I have ever seen in my life. The child had to have been essentially blind.

So the parents of the child see me, and began with the usual chant to their kid.... " Look, Look at the Falang."

I thought to myself.... I wish my son was here with me now, so I could say to him.... "Look, Look at the Blind kid."

I wonder how that would have gone over?

I don't know what your problem is when a Thai says, look, look, a farang!! That is spoken by Thais all the time!! To describe a FARANG!!!

If your dumb ass would have said "look at the blind kid" to your son, your son would have given you the GAY look, cuz he's only 2... and most Thias would not have known <deleted> you were talking about if you said "look at the blind kid".. You're IGNORANT!!

Dude, I visit the country side all the time.. There are very little FARANGS..... in some of the places I go to, the families I hang out with gets all excited to tell me that there is another FARANG in there little town... They are so excited to point that out to me.. I don't know why, but they do.. and I accept it..

So, if someone paid attention to your dumb ass because you're a FARANG, and obviously it was big deal to that family that saw you, then you need to get over your insecure life.. LOSER!!

I'll add.. I've heard Thais say FARANG in my direction in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and some other places I don't recall the names, but it's not an issue, unless you're a LOSER!!

I wish you would said what you thought of saying in front of me to your son.. You figure the math out!![/b]

These are the comments of a Looney tune.

Have you ever been incarcerated sometime in your life?

I certainly wouldn’t want to meet you or want any of my family meet you out and about. WOW! I would advise the OP or anyone else not to make any retaliatory comments when in public places, as these people could be dangerous manics like the above. (Scary)

I find him refreshing, to the point and funny. GOOD JOB. You people need to relax. it's not a big deal.

Edited by Misplaced

The whole situation I thought was strange, abnormal, comical,

What I found strange, abnormal but certainly not comical was the fact that an adult said something vaguely insulting (allegedly & debatable ) and another adult deemed it necessary to relate on a board, his thoughts on attacking spitefully a young child with a disability.

Well Done Dakhar :o

or ironic for a lack of a better term.

Ironic is certainly not a better term.

BTW - the other day we had a little BBQ and my American neighbor cooked potatoes on the grill (like big baked potatoes). He overheard his girlfriend saying "farang" and thought she was refering to us. She said no, she was refering to the potatoes. Any language experts here who might be able to shed light on that?

'Man farang' = 'Farang yams' i.e. potatoes.

P.S. Don't believe the etymology offered. It comes from 'Frank', the name of the people (Charlemagne's mob) who ruled the French, as in Arabic Faranji.

The guava is supposed to have got its name 'farang' because it was brought to Thailand by the first group of 'Franks' on the scene, namely the Portuguese.

Attacking a 2 year old with words from a language that they could not understand... that is an attack?

OK I am currently "mind beaming" you an attack right now..... BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Are you insulted?

Not really you missed me by ( ) much!!! :o

OK this time, I am going to "mind beam" an insult, in omni directional mode, with an automatic impulse beam.... you can't avoid it.... it's going to hit you no matter what... get ready BSSSSXXXXXXXXXZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Zing!!!!!!!!!

Oh man, that had to of hurt pretty bad. Try to walk it off.

While we are on the topic of stupidity... the concept of "if you thought it, it is the same as doing it...." Under this thought process, I can't even begin to tell you how many children I have fathered in my life time. Basically, I have populated China, twice over! Some of the women were young, so not so young, but all of them were very beautiful.

I admit it, I am guilty.... and I also have a trillion dollars, all obtained through "mind fraud."

Ahh the power of the mind, never under estimate it.

P.S. Don't believe the etymology offered. It comes from 'Frank', the name of the people (Charlemagne's mob) who ruled the French, as in Arabic Faranji.

The guava is supposed to have got its name 'farang' because it was brought to Thailand by the first group of 'Franks' on the scene, namely the Portuguese.

chewing gum = maak farang

You failed to notice the Guava stand right behind you.

Do what I do sometimes for fun. When you're with earshot of people who you think are talking about you, when you hear "farang" look angrily towards them and say "arai na" (pronounced alay na, means "pardon?") and after they looked at you confused...smile and say "just kidding" and walk along your merry way.

Edited by j0rd

chewing gum = maak farang

Asparagus = No Mai Farang

You failed to notice the Guava stand right behind you.

Do what I do sometimes for fun. When you're with earshot of people who you think are talking about you, when you hear "farang" look angrily towards them and say "arai na" (pronounced alay na, means "pardon?") and after they looked at you confused...smile and say "just kidding" and walk along your merry way.

if you really want to impress them, why not through in an "ARAI WA!", wins them over everytime :o

Yesterday, I went to Chesters with my wife, and a young Thai couple came in to the restaraunt carrying their young girl. The girl looked to be about 2 years old. The child had a pair of glasses on that were the thickest I have ever seen in my life. The child had to have been essentially blind.

So the parents of the child see me, and began with the usual chant to their kid.... " Look, Look at the Falang."

I thought to myself.... I wish my son was here with me now, so I could say to him.... "Look, Look at the Blind kid."

My niece (Farang/Thai) was out with her mum and saw a black man for the first time since she learned to talk and shouted "Dum Dum", her mum (Thai) was mortified.

That's the beauty of kids, they say what they think, and it's pretty hard to get upset at what they say because you know they don't know any better.

An adult who would like to make fun of a kid with a disability? Yeah, good idea.

Since when does wearing glasses constitute having a disability? I wore glasses for 18 years and now contacts and without them I can't see more than 3 feet in front of me clearly and I don't consider myself as having a disability. If somebody is registered blind then that's a different kettle of fish altogether.

To start with it is not Falang it is Farang

That would depend on which rominization you are using... and the one I used, it is falang

So, start with that.

That would depend on which rominization you are using... and the one I used, it is falang

So, start with that.

The "falang" / "farang" spelling argument has been done to death and only the pedantic amongst us really care how it's spelt.

Looks like according to the opinion of some on this thread... "look at the luk krung down syndrome baby" is fair game now?

It's really your right to make that gov't hospital give her an amniocentesis (and whether the inlaws think it's *bad luck* or not is irrelevant). Just because she's already had 2 kids by another father, she's still (typically) over 35 and should be doing the prenatal tests.

:o

^ Primary school lesson in morals and ethics: If one person commits an unethical act, you are not then justified in committing a second unethical act against the first individual.

In other words, it's a stupid question.

Maybe we could teach the worlds leaders this primary school lesson in morals :o Then again pigs may fly

Stupid question my arse

So, start with that.

The "falang" / "farang" spelling argument has been done to death and only the pedantic amongst us really care how it's spelt.

While I agree with "farang", it's more proper. "Falang" is pretty commonly used in upcountry villages and the Issan area. Much in the same manner as "khrap" and "khop". However, "falang" is not uncommon elsewhere. I've heard plenty of highly educated Thais use it as well. although probably less in more formal settings.