Seeking Statistics On Thai Visas Issued

hi all. I am trying to find statistics on the number of various types of Thai visas and work permits currently issued, e.g. how many type O, B, etc

Have had a quick search here and in google, Ministry of Foreign Affairs etc, but no luck so far.

It must be possible to get these figures are you occasionally see them noted in media articles.

Would anyone be able to point me to somewhere (preferably online) where I could get this info?

Many thanks for your time

- CB

hi all. I am trying to find statistics on the number of various types of Thai visas and work permits currently issued, e.g. how many type O, B, etc

Have had a quick search here and in google, Ministry of Foreign Affairs etc, but no luck so far.

It seems to be a state secret.

No where I found such datas.

Everything that touches to visas and WP... and therefore to foreigners has to stay quiet in Thailand, I think.

As far as immigration is concerned, you'll find only some figures about WP in Bangkok (here for instance).

In the medias ? Taboo too. They talk about immigration only with illegals (burmese, cambodians).

I mean they even hide.... statistics about tourists now !

It’s very unfortunate that TAT (Tourism Authority of Thailand) has stopped the publication of the statistics of international arrivals (by country and port of entry)… Last datas are for… december 2007.

Before, it was easy to follow the situation, with only 2 months time lag, and creating nice charts… (ThaiCrisis)

Such silence shows clearly that there is a will to hide the datas. They might be afraid, or they think the thai people would be angry with the figures... :o

And there is not any technical reasons to justify this. Immigration is centralized. They know very precisely how many visas are issued, which types etc.

Extension and visas are issued in consecutive order by year; so it is really not a hard held secret.

What do you mean ? "issued in consecutive order by year"?

I didn't say that nobody knew. I said that none of those figures are made public.

But if you have some... don't hesitate to share. :o

Edited by cclub75

Hmm not to sure i would say in bangkok alone their has to be over 100 work permits issued maybe 200 per year but i would be guessing

:o Try increasing your guess to about 50,000, because that's the figure I have seen quoted :D

Keep those suggestions flowing in thanks, folks. The truth is out there (somewhere)

Extension and visas are issued in consecutive order by year; so it is really not a hard held secret.

Mine is issued in Oct of each year at the One-Stop Center. Number is always around 25,000 to 27,000 something. If Suan Plu does even more, that would go along with the more then 50k quoted earlier.

I have looked as well, but have found no source on the internet. I don't think they are automated enough at this point to put raw data out.

TH

My annual extension of permission to stay connected to WP and issued from Suan Phlu has the number 82xx/51. So that would suggest (8200 x 12/5) 20000 extensions due to WP are issued from Suan Phlu per annum.

<br />Hmm not to sure i would say in bangkok alone their has to be over 100 work permits issued maybe 200 per year but i would be guessing<br />

this is only for the smallest street in bkk not for the entire town :o

Further update. I went to Chiang Mai immigration office today to ask about these stats. I was told that such statistics were "secret" and would only normally be provided in response to an inter-departmental request. They further stated that any such stats would certainly not be current figures, ie. maybe stats for 2007.

I am sure that there figures are out there (albeit outdated) so certainly welcome any further ideas/feedback from TV members. I need these stats for a book I am writing btw.

cheers

- CB

• 2 years later...

It seems to be a state secret.

No where I found such datas.

Everything that touches to visas and WP... and therefore to foreigners has to stay quiet in Thailand, I think.

As far as immigration is concerned, you'll find only some figures about WP in Bangkok (here for instance).

In the medias ? Taboo too. They talk about immigration only with illegals (burmese, cambodians).

I mean they even hide.... statistics about tourists now !

It's very unfortunate that TAT (Tourism Authority of Thailand) has stopped the publication of the statistics of international arrivals (by country and port of entry)… Last datas are for… december 2007.

Before, it was easy to follow the situation, with only 2 months time lag, and creating nice charts… (ThaiCrisis)

Such silence shows clearly that there is a will to hide the datas. They might be afraid, or they think the thai people would be angry with the figures... :o

And there is not any technical reasons to justify this. Immigration is centralized. They know very precisely how many visas are issued, which types etc.

WOW and let the conspiracy theories start.....:blink:

Immigration website has statistics on the numbers and type of extension of stay, as well as the number entering the country each month. http://www.immigration.go.th/

Well-spotted TT. My last post was in haste so let me expand. I took this up with the National Statistics office of Thailand and they then pointed me to the Imm Dept web site (making a nonsense of what I had earlier been told by CNX Imm staff).

In their web site (linked in the Thai section only as far as I can see) there are a series of spreadsheets. The problem for me is that the labels for the various rows/columns don't relate to visa types as we know them ... basically the data is useless for the average Joe in the form it's in now. If I had the name of someone in the Imm Dept statistics section who could explain the structure of the spreadsheets, then things would be different ... but I don't .... so if anyone can help in that regard then that would be great.

Otherwise someone may have come across the same stats in another place, where they are summarised or in a more user-friendly format

Just to reiterate, I am looking for stats in relation to visas issued (and work permits also) and not simply visitor arrivals data

Cheers