Do Thais Have To Have A Gun Licence

asiaj

Just wanted to know about the gun licencing laws in thailand. I recently had a person break into my house and now my wife wants to get a gun just in case they break in again.

I do not know if it is against the law for a thai national to carry a gun without a licence or if they are allowed to have them in their residence either way i am not keen on having one around the house? Does anybody know if a gun licence is needed for a thai to have a gun at home?

Just wanted to know about the gun licencing laws in thailand. I recently had a person break into my house and now my wife wants to get a gun just in case they break in again.

I do not know if it is against the law for a thai national to carry a gun without a licence or if they are allowed to have them in their residence either way i am not keen on having one around the house? Does anybody know if a gun licence is needed for a thai to have a gun at home?

license is mandatory.

It's easy for someone to buy a weapon but for some they don't know until the moment of truth if they can

A Pull the trigger and take a human life or

B Deal with the consequences of puling that trigger.

Get a big dog, leave the guns alone.

license is mandatory.

And the mia luang was told by our local ampur not to even bother applying for one, because they weren't issuing them to anyone. I would be curious to know if any Farangs here in LOS (at least those who don't have friends with unusual influence) have been successful getting a permit.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Taxin was trying to reduce the number of guns in Thailand.

I owned, legally, a couple of Glocks in Europe, I would recommend that you do not even think about buying a gun in Thailand.

They are useless as a form of defense if they are not readily accessible and loaded. If they are readily accessible, then an angry wife, or kid can get hold of them. And once you start waving a gun at somebody, YOU HAVE TO BE PREPARED TO KILL, this makes a huge mess and leads to all sorts of nasty consequences.

There is a lot of boyish pleasure in shooting holes in bits of cardboard, but to have a loaded deadly weapon around the home in Thailand is very inadvisable. An angry Thai woman would not think twice before blasting away....at YOU.

Buy a baseball bat and get a dog.

And the mia luang was told by our local ampur not to even bother applying for one, because they weren't issuing them to anyone. I would be curious to know if any Farangs here in LOS (at least those who don't have friends with unusual influence) have been successful getting a permit.

About 2 years ago my Thai Wife applied for a gun permit (12 guage Remington Model)...wasn't a problem getting a permit. That model sold in the US for about $180...cost about $800 here.

Champee

license is mandatory.

I dont think they give them to farangs even on visa extensions.. I suspect PR or citizenship is required..

They will however give one to the wife of a farang with the 100% knowledge thats its the farang who wants it in the home. I know someone whose wife gained a license about a year or so ago based exactly on this.

The police who frequented the shooting range also said that if he was going to use one in protection of his home, he should keep a second illegal gun and make sure to kill anyone he shoots and then leave the unregistered gun with the corpse. Hence clear case of self defense... Nice advice from the copper !!! :o

This thread is a joke right?

Yes.

I just shot my friend in the leg while Laughing :o

Reminds me of a story of a friend and his brother. The friend took his dad's 22 rifle down to the farm pond and was being stupid shooting away at everything. Well needless to say he started shooting at some carp in the pond and the next thing you know his brother on the other side of the pond (few hundred feet away) fell down and started screaming, 'you shot me'. My friend thought he was joking until his brother hobbled back to the house with a 22 round in his leg. (Skipped of the water.)

BEAR MACE!!! it works on bears so it should work on jackass thieves/intruders. should be able to order it online.

I herd it can kill people,it can shoot up to 15 ft, would be back if the wind was blowing towards you.

yeah it could backfire on you. just leave the room as soon as you shoot it off and you'd probably be alright. it would give you enough time to go get your gun :o .

Any quick peruse of the english papers here about thais involved in altercations where they use a gun and are apprehended usually has the "the suspect was charged with unlawful possession of an unlicensed handgun". So while guns are common here the licensing of them seems to be less common.

Has anyone (other than me) noticed that it seems bullets are not that plentiful.

I watched thai news about a month ago where someone was arrested with 3 guns and had a whopping total of just 9 bullets. They were lined up on the table in front of the guns.

STOP MACING BEARS, next you'll be clubbing baby seals. ..

Yes - Thai's must have: but chances now of getting an application approved are next to zero at the moment. Applications in Bkk 2008 - something like 600. Applications approved? - how many fingers do you have on one hand? - it is literaly half a dozen or so.

It has become near to impossible for even Thai's (let a lone ex-pats - for whom it has always being very difficult) to get a license - political climate at the moment is very "gun free society". Having the house broken into aint going to be reason good enough, sadly.

Everyone and his bloody mother seem to have guns round here. I went to a wedding a couple of weeks back. The number of guns being fired, well it was like "The gunfight at the ok corral". I would not mind betting that not one license was in use. A bit like motorbikes.

The police who frequented the shooting range also said that if he was going to use one in protection of his home, he should keep a second illegal gun and make sure to kill anyone he shoots and then leave the unregistered gun with the corpse. Hence clear case of self defense... Nice advice from the copper !!! :o

S.O.P. - In parts of USA the unregistered weapon is called a 'trowe gun'...you shoot the intruder with your registered weapon and 'trowe' (throw) the other down with the corpse.

Yes - Thai's must have: but chances now of getting an application approved are next to zero at the moment. Applications in Bkk 2008 - something like 600. Applications approved? - how many fingers do you have on one hand? - it is literaly half a dozen or so.

It has become near to impossible for even Thai's (let a lone ex-pats - for whom it has always being very difficult) to get a license - political climate at the moment is very "gun free society". Having the house broken into aint going to be reason good enough, sadly.

A gun licence is quite straightforward to get in Sisaket - my wife got one a few weeks ago and, from the gun thread on the Isaan forum, it appears to be the same generally in Isaan.