Favourite Foods.

Jockstar

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it very strange that most the foreingers here in Thailand claim that Thai food is there favourite. Did we all come here because of the food??

Is it that we have grown to love the Thai food?

I had no idea what Thai food was before I came here. no Thai restaurants where I come from - well not at the time. There are 2 now, and boy did they get a shock when I went in there for a carry out and after listening to them blab on about a few things in Thai responded with a relevant reply to what they were talking about.

Indian

Thai

Italian

I find it very strange that most the foreingers here in Thailand claim that Thai food is there favourite. Did we all come here because of the food??

Is it that we have grown to love the Thai food?

I had no idea what Thai food was before I came here. no Thai restaurants where I come from - well not at the time.

While I think no one settles in Thailand for the food, having a fine cuisine is a major bonus for many.

I went back to the Uk in March last year. There was a Thai restaurant near where i stayed in Acton. I went in for a carry out and spoke Thai to them. My Thai is ok but not great. I asked for basic ffod. Kapow Nua, Yum nua or moo, pak prik eng moo. Would you believe they didnt do it. I was like what the ######. These foods something not unusual Thai food.. But still they couldnt do it. After that i found a better place , still in Acton but with a better choice. Thai restauarnts tend to cater for farang tastes in the uk. ie green/red curry , pad thai etc.

Thai restauarnts tend to cater for farang tastes in the uk. ie green/red curry , pad thai etc.

Too true! Its something which never fails to piss me off especially in this day and age when all of the ingredients to make it 100% spot on are available.

Some of the crap I've had over here is unspeakable.

That said there are one or two gems dotted around the place!

I went back to the Uk in March last year. There was  a Thai restaurant near where i stayed in Acton. I went in for a carry out and spoke Thai to them. My Thai is ok but not great. I asked for basic ffod. Kapow Nua, Yum nua or moo, pak prik eng moo. Would you believe they didnt do it. I was like what the ######. These foods something not unusual Thai food.. But still they couldnt do it. After that i found a better place , still in Acton but with a better choice. Thai restauarnts tend to cater for farang tastes in the uk. ie green/red curry , pad thai etc.

At least if they spoke Thai to you it would still be ok. Me and my fiance went to a Thai restaurant in Gants Hill in East London. They are a branch of a very famous Thai restaurant in Fulham (name? something chang) First I spoke to a waitress in Thai and she said sorry can't speak Thai!!! :o It seemed to me that no Thais work there! may be only in the kitchen. Then we asked for the Pad kapraw if they could change from chicken to prawns ( we would pay more for the prawns) They said no we can't do that.( too difficult huh?) bye bye the fake Thai restaurant. We had never been back.

I went back to the Uk in March last year. There was  a Thai restaurant near where i stayed in Acton. I went in for a carry out and spoke Thai to them. My Thai is ok but not great. I asked for basic ffod. Kapow Nua, Yum nua or moo, pak prik eng moo. Would you believe they didnt do it. I was like what the ######. These foods something not unusual Thai food.. But still they couldnt do it. After that i found a better place , still in Acton but with a better choice. Thai restauarnts tend to cater for farang tastes in the uk. ie green/red curry , pad thai etc.

At least if they spoke Thai to you it would still be ok. Me and my fiance went to a Thai restaurant in Gants Hill in East London. They are a branch of a very famous Thai restaurant in Fulham (name? something chang) First I spoke to a waitress in Thai and she said sorry can't speak Thai!!! :o It seemed to me that no Thais work there! may be only in the kitchen. Then we asked for the Pad kapraw if they could change from chicken to prawns ( we would pay more for the prawns) They said no we can't do that.( too difficult huh?) bye bye the fake Thai restaurant. We had never been back.

My mate owns the Sugar Hut on Fulham Rd(?), the food is superb, but expect a big bill.

Italian

Thai

Indian

chinese

no particular order

Oooooooo.....good question! This is a topic I can really sink my teeth into.

1. Italian

2. I guess i'll just classify this as American but I wanted to specify BBQ food like Ribs, Beef Brisket or Southeastern US style BBQ.

3. Japanese. Love sushi & tempura.

Thai restauarnts tend to cater for farang tastes in the uk. ie green/red curry , pad thai etc.

True ... or so it seems. The main places downtown seem to purposely "dummy-down" the food. The most authentic I've had here so far was at the Anglo-Thai Festival and at a small joint near the Hammersmith flyover.

For me:

1. Thai

2. Italian

3. Mexican

(Chinese, Spanish and top quality Brit Pub food aren't far behind)

Thing is there are sub-varieties within all of these (e.g., Issan vs Southern, Sicilian vs Napolitano, etc.).

What I really do like is something I've seen often with Thai food (and very often in Spain), and that is to order many different things in smaller portions and then share them, family style.

Now you've gone and done it ... my mouth is watering and everything is closed!

:o

Oooooooo.....good question!  This is a topic I can really sink my teeth into.

1. Italian

2. I guess i'll just classify this as American but I wanted to specify BBQ food like Ribs, Beef Brisket or Southeastern US style BBQ.

3. Japanese.  Love sushi & tempura.

Spoken like a true Chicagoan :o Two thumbs up !

I love BBQ too so my three favorites are :

Beef

Pork

Chicken

Actually the girl on the front desk was Thai but was only about 19 yeras old. So when i spoke Thai she was a bit out of practice and asked me to speak English. She said she hadn't been in Thailand for years so had forgotton alot.

Never went there again.

Theres a good one on The Uxbridge Rd near the Redback. They have Thai staff there. So when i spoke Thai they were quite impressed. Turned many of my friends onto it. So we used to get deliveries. I would order on the phone in Thai. No problems. The food was great and the service too.