Rabbits

intumult

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bunny rabbits - not the playboy type either -. Are there any in Thailand? I have yet to see one.

The Gecko bar on the corner of soi Rambuttri, behind the wat in the Khao San Road area has/had a pet rabbit that runs around the outside sitting area under the feet of the customers. Cute thing.

Well I´m considering breeding rabbits and frogs (there was an interesting thread here recently) when I move to Thailand, so would welcome more info on rabbit breeding in there. Anyone want to become a member of my rabbits and frog breeding society??? :o

Apart from the fact I have never seen any, I do wonder why.

Seems to me they would be a good source of cheap food. I am not partial to rabbit myself, but I know plenty of people in the West that are.

Nice to know there are some dotted around here and there.

That reminds me, not seen many horses here either. There in one near Bung Boraphet but I have not seen any others.

I have about 30 at the moment,breeding them here is a chore, red ants are the big problem ,they attack the newborns and sting them to death.

Ozzy,had thought about breeding some for myself as I did this years back in the USA. How do you deal with the ants that you mention? Also I am wondering if the sweltering heat affects raising them here in LOS. I guess when the time comes I'll search more on this forum for any information about raising them here in LOS as I am wondering numerous things crossing my mind that wouldn't be problems from my experience back in the states. Any info or links you could provide me hare (oops, pun intended) would be great.

I have about 30 at the moment,breeding them here is a chore, red ants are the big problem ,they attack the newborns and sting them to death.

Ozzy,had thought about breeding some for myself as I did this years back in the USA. How do you deal with the ants that you mention? Also I am wondering if the sweltering heat affects raising them here in LOS. I guess when the time comes I'll search more on this forum for any information about raising them here in LOS as I am wondering numerous things crossing my mind that wouldn't be problems from my experience back in the states. Any info or links you could provide me hare (oops, pun intended) would be great.

They would be much easier to raise in elevated cages keeping your bucks and breeding does separate , only putting the doe in the bucks cage at nooky time and having a communal cage for the weaned babies.

But I free range mine with the ducks in a building block next door to our house ,I had a 7 foot block wall put around it to keep animals in and light fingers out.

Because of the heavy rains here I fabricate burrows from 20l plastic drums with a 8" round hole cut in and a 4 foot x8" concrete pipe fitted in ,this makes a burrow and nesting box , I place them on a raised heap of sand an cover it over with the same.

It works and they use it but it gets extremely hot and humid so I now cut a vent in the top of the plastic drum and put shade cloth over the lot,survival is really good now.

For the ants ,I rake in that white ant powder all round the burrows,it seems to work ok but it only needs a blade of grass in the wrong place to give the ants a walkway in. The cure is still a work in progress.

The village kids and the Mums with infants love them, they come every afternoon to feed them vegetables through the gate, if we are not to busy the little ones are let in to hold the weaners, they seem to get a kick out of it as most have never seen a bunny.

I feed the rabbits and handle them every day ,but they are a bit iffy about getting to close to me, yet the little kids come in and sit on the sand heap and the adults and all are over them eating out of their hands and getting petted.

They would be much easier to raise in elevated cages keeping your bucks and breeding does separate , only putting the doe in the bucks cage at nooky time and having a communal cage for the weaned babies.

But I free range mine with the ducks in a building block next door to our house ,I had a 7 foot block wall put around it to keep animals in and light fingers out.

Because of the heavy rains here I fabricate burrows from 20l plastic drums with a 8" round hole cut in and a 4 foot x8" concrete pipe fitted in ,this makes a burrow and nesting box , I place them on a raised heap of sand an cover it over with the same.

It works and they use it but it gets extremely hot and humid so I now cut a vent in the top of the plastic drum and put shade cloth over the lot,survival is really good now.

For the ants ,I rake in that white ant powder all round the burrows,it seems to work ok but it only needs a blade of grass in the wrong place to give the ants a walkway in. The cure is still a work in progress.

The village kids and the Mums with infants love them, they come every afternoon to feed them vegetables through the gate, if we are not to busy the little ones are let in to hold the weaners, they seem to get a kick out of it as most have never seen a bunny.

I feed the rabbits and handle them every day ,but they are a bit iffy about getting to close to me, yet the little kids come in and sit on the sand heap and the adults and all are over them eating out of their hands and getting petted.

Thanks for the info Ozzy. When I raised them in the states I usually kept one buck and three does. I built a cage that was two tiered with four individual units. Each unit had a shelter area (made of plywood) where they stayed at night and during the birthing. Each unit then had an open area constructed of a frame and 'chicken' wire. The rabbits had free run always between the shelter area and the open area but yet all four individual units were contained within themselves. Under the flooring (chicken wire) of both tiers had a sheet of plywood that was sloped so that all the droppings ran out in the back. This made for a 'no clean' pen and allowed the droppings to be easily scooped up and be used for garden fertilizer. This rabbit pen was a construction idea passed down from my father years ago when I was young and he raised rabbits. Three does and one buck were more than enough to keep plenty of fresh rabbit on the table and in the freezer.

We always just bought the rabbit 'pellets' to feed them. I believe that the pellets were nothing more than compressed hay and greens. We also feed them any garden greens that were going to waste. Do you know if Thailand has any rabbit pellets that can be bought? I see a similar looking pellet for fish food but don't know what it is comprised of.

We

Bunny rabbits - not the playboy type either -. Are there any in Thailand? I have yet to see one.

My parents in law had a fluffy one in a cage but I think he ate it, like he did when our guinea pig died.

I don't think they're indigenous here though.

Weren't they introduced into Australia and they ate all the kangaroos... or have I got that wrong?

I seem to remember reading somewhere here - although I haven´t been able to find the thread - that Thais consider rabbits as pets only and wouldn´t consider eating them. You wouldn´t find a market for them, so may just end up eating them yourself if you breed them (unless you sell them as pets), as Ozzydom appears to do. Can anyone confirm - or refute - this???

Most thai used to eat rabbit,dog,rat,etc.

But Nongwhyay is right. Most "Gratai" today is keept like a pet.

Same dog. But before many eat dog (of course not there own)

I don't think anybody will make a lot of money on rabbits in Thailand.

My plan, when I go to retire, is to raise rabbits for my own consumption. Tastes a lot like chicken! :o

I have about 30 at the moment,breeding them here is a chore

Ozzy,

I have been wanting to learn how to do this for a few years. I don't have any experience, but I absolutely want to learn this skill. What specific breed are you raising here?

Can you recommend any specific locations where an enterprising soul could go to acquire a few for breeding?

I remember about 12 years ago when I was courting my now Mrs. In Chiang Mai Night Bazaar I see a guy with a box full of Netherland Dwarfs sitting on a stall. There was a small group of customers looking at his wares (or is that hares  :o ). bearing in mind that most of the surrounding stalls were selling food (or sunglasses?) I asked her 'Are they for eating?' to my GF, she was agog, "No for pets" she replied incredulously. She would not believe for years that in the UK rabbits are shot and eaten for food. Even living in Kent (UK) for several years and seeing rabbit everywhere, it wasn't until she saw some hanging up at a butcher that she believed me (and since has seen some TV Chef's using them). She still thinks it sick eating them.

On a similar vein, around the same time we were talking about food and turned to Osteriches (something on Thai TV I think). I said that their are now farms in the UK that breed them for meat. She said, "Who would eat birds?". I of course replied "You eat chicken and duck" and she came back wit "Chicken is chicken, duck is duck - they are not birds". Couldn't get past that however I tried. Now she is much more worldly, and accepts chickens and ducks are birds - but she still will not try turkey!

Me, I'm a veggie - so am quite happy about the fact :D 

My plan, when I go to retire, is to raise rabbits for my own consumption. Tastes a lot like chicken! :o

Then eat chicken.Why the headache.

Some people say snake taste like chicken.

tHEN EAT CHICKEN.

I wish you wouldn't breed them though. They always escape and destroy the natural habitat (they just breed too fast and eat too much). The romans brought them to Britain for food 2000 years ago - and they escaped (like the black rat from Spain - brought the 17th C plague). The Brits took them throughout the empire and - yep - they escaped. now there are rabbits f$@#ing up the eccology of every country worldwide. Can't you breed Pangolin - now they are good eating (so I've heard) and are indiginous - and rare.

220px-Pangolin_borneo.jpg

Mmmmm crunchy on the outside, soft in the middle! :o

Edited by wolf5370

tHEN EAT CHICKEN.

Some people say people taste like chicken - then eat PEOPLE (er, I mean chicken  :D )

tHEN EAT CHICKEN.

Can you say "bird flu" boys and girls? I knew you could.

Species diversity. It's a wonderful thing.

I'm serious about wanting to learn how to do this. Any advice on where to get a pair for breeding and eating?

tHEN EAT CHICKEN.

Can you say "bird flu" boys and girls? I knew you could.

Species diversity. It's a wonderful thing.

I'm serious about wanting to learn how to do this. Any advice on where to get a pair for breeding and eating?

Can you say "SALOMELLA".

If I were to breed rabbits, I imagine that slaughtering them would be the hardest part........ rabbits are so cute!!!! Would have to get the wife to do it....... :D Is it easier to slaughter chickens?????? :o

Maybe a reason why Thai don't eat it anymore.

And don't forget whatever food you cook if you are afraid of germs,

keep it clean.But if you wan't your stomach to become resistent.

Well eat it all.what .When you'r hungry enough you'll eat.

tHEN EAT CHICKEN.

Some people say people taste like chicken - then eat PEOPLE (er, I mean chicken :D )

I thought people tasted like pork? The crispy skin a bit like 'cracklin' ?

Chicken is 10 a penny. Humans a bit rarer in the pot :D

Horse meat anybody?

Hmmm, Thais do not like to eat fluffy bunnies? Strange place that I learn something more about each week :D