Rabbits

intumult

north easter thais seem to prefer wild caught meat of any sort; wild rabbit, wild rat (not the garbage can rats u all think of, but big brown field rats); porcupine, fox... the list goes on. some thai like the home/pet rabbit type but i found that most prefer the field kinds they say it is tastier. it could be that most prefer the 'gamey' taste; just like many folks here prefer to pasture out their young male goat kids a month before slaughter rather then eat the barn raised kid. a matter of taste.

i like both. rabbit has too many bones. in israel there is a market for the big meat rabbits among the arab and russian population (that dont keep kosher).

once had a fight break out among the the thai workers here over a pet rabbit that was raised by them; one of them from nakhon sawan ate it. he also ate dog whereas the others didnt, and cat also. which i found most thais wont touch with a ten foot pole unlike the rumours taht go around.

and thais like white or colourful furry/ fancy rabbits as pets just like they rpefer among all their pets: white, then colourful. black is culled out.

bina

israel

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have been raising rabbits for about a year now, we started with 2 doe's and a buck and soon had about 70 rabbits, My original intention was to raise them for my eating pleasure. Soon after purchasing the rabbits, I came down with gout and the doctor took me off rabbit and chicken meat, so we had a bunch of new bunnies and no place to sell them, my wife soon found a pet store in Nakhon Sawan that would purchase all the 21 day old bunnies we could sell them.

We are by far not going to get rich by selling them but the money we get for them more than pays for the cost of raising them, we also had a problem with red ants killing the bunnies born underground.. so we purchased some small clay pots and moved the bunnies soon after birth to the clay pots and have cut down the number of bunnies lost to ants.

My wife hobby is now taking care of her rabbits!

Cheers:cowboy.gif

We have been raising rabbits for about a year now, we started with 2 doe's and a buck and soon had about 70 rabbits, My original intention was to raise them for my eating pleasure. Soon after purchasing the rabbits, I came down with gout and the doctor took me off rabbit and chicken meat, so we had a bunch of new bunnies and no place to sell them, my wife soon found a pet store in Nakhon Sawan that would purchase all the 21 day old bunnies we could sell them.

We are by far not going to get rich by selling them but the money we get for them more than pays for the cost of raising them, we also had a problem with red ants killing the bunnies born underground.. so we purchased some small clay pots and moved the bunnies soon after birth to the clay pots and have cut down the number of bunnies lost to ants.

What breed(s) do you keep? I'd be interested in some Californians, or similar for meat.

What is the mortality rate of farm rabbits in thailand? This is one farm in malaysia I been to. Only half of each brood survive to the slaughter house. Of course, too many snakes around the farm is a contributing factor.

MO99, I do not know what breed my rabbits are as we picked up the rabbits that were available locally, some look like a small New Zealand Whites with red eyes, our original rabbits were small sized. We have been breeding the rabbits to try to improve the rabbits size, with some success, as our rabbits were getting bigger. I did not see the rabbits size as a problem as I am the only one in the house that would be eating the rabbits, and they are good eating size.

Howdey, our mortality rate was very low, for any causes except those lost to red ants under ground, as our rabbits are housed in a 15 x 10 foot completely covered pen. as far as I know we have not lost any to outside predators. After loosing some to ants, we have been putting the bunnies in clay pots above ground, we have lost some to a mother refusing to feed her baby's and we get rid of those ASAP. My wife is going to start placing expectant mothers in a wire pen so they will not continually try to dig a hole under ground to prepare for her bunnies.

Rabbits need to be raised in a clean pen with a good supply of good food and clean water.

Hope that answers your question.

Cheers:

Edited by kikoman

• 2 weeks later...

What breed(s) do you keep? I'd be interested in some Californians, or similar for meat.

Hi , Contact me if you are near the north . I am supplying california , New Zealand White , Giant Checker to buyer inthe north . Parents to 30 days old bunny .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi , Contact me if you are near the north . I am supplying california , New Zealand White , Giant Checker to buyer inthe north . Parents to 30 days old bunny .

Ok, sounds good

• 1 month later...

A visit to Kasetsart Agricultural Fair in Bangkok last year (2011) and I returned with two bunnies costing THB 300 each. Cross breed of Palomino (tasty meat) x Flemish Giant (huge size) and New Zealand White (fleshy). Two does are doing well as pets. I have since obtained four pedigree Continental Giants, considered to be the world's largest rabbit breed. Anyone interested in giant bunnies should go to the next Kasetsart Agricultural Fair.

What is the mortality rate of farm rabbits in thailand? This is one farm in malaysia I been to. Only half of each brood survive to the slaughter house. Of course, too many snakes around the farm is a contributing factor.

Bred for the pot. mortality is 100%, or am I missing the point?

Bred for the pot. mortality is 100%, or am I missing the point?

Yes you are missing the point.

The question relates to what % of newborn die before being large enough to eat, ie of natural causes or disease

Hey Wong, What happened? Have not seen you online in a while, still waiting to get some rabbits from you.....

A visit to Kasetsart Agricultural Fair in Bangkok last year (2011) and I returned with two bunnies costing THB 300 each. Cross breed of Palomino (tasty meat) x Flemish Giant (huge size) and New Zealand White (fleshy). Two does are doing well as pets. I have since obtained four pedigree Continental Giants, considered to be the world's largest rabbit breed. Anyone interested in giant bunnies should go to the next Kasetsart Agricultural Fair.

From what I've heard, the problem with Flemish Giant and other very large sized rabbits is the meat to bone ratio favors bones.... also they eat a lot, grow slowly, and do not do well in confinement.

That's why I'd rather stick with Californians and New Zealand Whites for home meat production.

I believe that is why Kasetsart Uniersity had a project to breed the perfect large meat rabbit, resulting in the cross-breed Palomino x New Zealand White x Flemish Giant bunnies that I bought at the agricultural fair. The Continental Giants are doing well here and I plan to keep them pure bred as I imported them as pedigree rabbits from the UK. I may mate the Buck Continental Giants with the cross-breed does from Kasetsart to see what kits are produced. Anyone interested in Continental Giants as pedigree pets, please contact me.

Does anyone else have any pure-breed Continental Giant rabbits in Thailand? I would be interested in mating my four Contis with pure breeds if in Thailand.

I saw a guy who has some Giant Chinchillas (there big!)... he also has a German Flemish Giant, and other Flemish Giants of different colors...

But I'm still set on Californians and New Zealands myself... Maybe I could use a larger breed for a buck, if I can't find good purebred stock of different blood lines. Seems a lot of local breeders do a lot of inbreeding and don't keep good records, so not sure what's available.

Edited by mo99

Eat rabbit meat. Here are 10 reasons why:

1. Cholesterol level in rabbit meat is much lower than chicken, turkey, beef, pork and lamb (Source: Alabama A & M University 1989)

2. Rabbit meat is lower in % of fat than chicken, turkey, beef, lamb and pork. (Source: USDA circular # 549)

3. Unsaturated fatty acids is 63% of total fatty acids.

4. Rabbit meat is highest in protein % compared to popular meats. (Source: USDA circular # 549)

5. The office of home economics, state relations of the U S Department of Agriculture made extensive tests and stated that domestic rabbit meat is the most nutritious meat known to man.

6. Rabbit meat is seasonal any month of the year and is especially recommended during the hot weather, as it does not contain the heating properties of most all other meats. Ideal for Thailand’s tropical climate.

7. Rabbit meat has been used and is suitable for special diets, such as those for heart disease patients, diets for the aged, low sodium diets and weight reduction diets. Consultation with your doctor is recommended if you plan on eating rabbit as part of a special diet.

8 Rabbit has 795 calories per pound. Chicken 810, Veal 840, Turkey 1190, Lamb 1420, Beef 1440, Pork 2050. (Source USDA circular # 549 )

9. A doe (female) rabbit that weighs 4.5 kgs. can produce 145 kgs. of meat in a year. This is more than a cow and it takes 5 rai (2 acres) of land to raise a cow.

10. Rabbits will produce 2.73 kgs. of meat on the same feed and water as a cow will produce 0.45 kg. of meat on the same feed and water.

• 3 months later...

Anyone have suitable meat rabbit breeds available?

I've been looking, but the ones I've come across are so inbread they do not even reach 2Kg. Willing to pay a premuim for good breeding stock (my own home meat production).

Regards,

Mo

Dear Mo ,

At the moment ,i have only the NZW which is ready to be delivered . The Checker giant and the Californian i have only junior which is only about 45days old . The rest is my breeding stock which not for sale . Delivery will be together with my order for The Royal Foundation . If you require me to sent it down myself , i will have to charge transportation . PM or sms me . Regards Wong

Dear Mo ,

At the moment ,i have only the NZW which is ready to be delivered . The Checker giant and the Californian i have only junior which is only about 45days old . The rest is my breeding stock which not for sale . Delivery will be together with my order for The Royal Foundation . If you require me to sent it down myself , i will have to charge transportation . PM or sms me . Regards Wong

OK, thanks Wong. PM sent regarding arrangements.

I asked about rabbits in this thread from 2006. Basically the same responses back then. Wild rabbit is eaten but the colored ones are considered pets.

cheesy.gifSo the Thai addiction to whitening carries over to their rabbits as well !!!

Whitening cream, teeth whitening, vagina whitening is the latest craze according to a breaking news story on Thai Visa last week, now they prefer white bunnies. Probily will be a Must Read Breaking Story in the Nation Newspaper tomorrow !

I once mentioned to the missus the idea of getting a few rabbits to breed for the table.

She was aghast and said that you can't eat rabbits because they are cute!

I guess that if one could find a really ugly breed of rabbit, one could be on a winner :D

We have decided to cut down on the animals we have at home, will only keep our eggs laying chickens,

I have been slowed down by medical problems.

We have 10 adult breeders, at last count 16 bunnies, and some home made cages, medium size rabbits and a pet shop buyer in Nakhon Sawan to sell the bunnies to at 21 days old.

Also have Muscovey ducks, 1 large male, 5 females, 14 market sized ducks, and 20 ducklings, we will also let go.

If anyone is interested PM me.

Cheers:smile.png

I once mentioned to the missus the idea of getting a few rabbits to breed for the table.

She was aghast and said that you can't eat rabbits because they are cute!

I guess that if one could find a really ugly breed of rabbit, one could be on a winner biggrin.png

I suppose a hairless rabbit would not be too "cute" LOL.. the problem with that is the hairless trait is a lethal-gene, and linked to early death before they are breeding age (from what I have read).

So how DO you slaughter a rabbit???? I seem to remember as a kid that you give them a karate chop to the back of the kneck....... or was that only a fairy story???? Or do you wring their knecks like chickens??? (if that´s how they kill chickens???)................ or am I becoming too morbid???? ohmy.gif

Yepper that's how we did it... Held them by the hind legs and they would arch their neck up to try and get at your hands then you would just give them one quick swift blow to the back of the neck.

I wish you wouldn't breed them though. They always escape and destroy the natural habitat (they just breed too fast and eat too much). The romans brought them to Britain for food 2000 years ago - and they escaped (like the black rat from Spain - brought the 17th C plague). The Brits took them throughout the empire and - yep - they escaped. now there are rabbits f$@#ing up the eccology of every country worldwide. Can't you breed Pangolin - now they are good eating (so I've heard) and are indiginous - and rare.

220px-Pangolin_borneo.jpg

Mmmmm crunchy on the outside, soft in the middle! :sick:

I've heard the same about humans. Someone dropped a pair off in some garden (So I have been told). They breed like rats and eat everything in site. Now they are everywhere. Very destructive to the environment I am told.

• Like 1