Pad Riots, Or Protests

jimmyyy

I got an email this morning, our annual Petroleum conference that was scheduled for Phuket next month has been moved to Malasia, it got me to thinking, are you looking at putting off your plans for a Thailand holiday until this blows over? Are you worried about violence towards foreigners in connection with PAD? I live up Khon Kaen way 50% of the time, and no one i know has experienced any problems yet, just curious!

Thanks

Protests and even the occasional riot seems to be the norm here. Why would this deter someone from coming here on holiday or business? My mother will be visiting in a couple of months, no worries. Thai politics concern Thais, not foreigners. There have been some protests here in Issan. Last week driving to Big C, there were about 100 PAD protesters on one side of the street and an equal amount of riot police on the other. It reminded me of a union strike. Like any other heated situation, it is always a good idea to keep a safe distance between you and trouble.

Can't recall that a foreigner has ever been involved - and moving the conference I would call as overcautious! But up to you/them organizers!

If you are in Bangkok right now and then can watch the foreign media "news" coverage - you know what it is all about... same applies to Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan!

And then: "Riots"? The police is out in Riot gear and tries forcefully to remove protesters on the behalf of the PM whom they wish to step down... it's civil disobedience at best - but riots? The protesters, I repeat, take advantage of their constitutional rights, non else!

ahh.. well...

Edited by Samuian

the reason the conference was moved, well i was told this: The current political situation in Thailand could cause inconvience to our customers attending the conference, outages in electricity, lack of petrol and airport closures are a primary concern, the conference is now relocated to yada yada yada.....

Guess it scared someone up top....

If i had relatives visiting i think i would hold them up, as airport closures and other issues would inconvience them in fact any tourist pretty much. This can't be good for the economy.....

These "protests" are the first thing my family and friends mention on the phone because they watch the news and see these maniacs in their yellow uniform breaking down gates, blockading airports etc. They don't know until I tell them that to the average person it may as well not be happening.

I was overseas when the coup happened and had all kinds of visions going through my head until I called the wife and she told me what was happening (or not).

I think this will hit Thai tourism hard, Thailand keeps setting itself back and every time I think this has got to be the last time but No....

There are plenty of alternative destinations and I think people will consider that now, no one wants to come to a country where it can kick off any minute.

the reason the conference was moved, well i was told this: The current political situation in Thailand could cause inconvience to our customers attending the conference, outages in electricity, lack of petrol and airport closures are a primary concern, the conference is now relocated to yada yada yada.....

Guess it scared someone up top....

If i had relatives visiting i think i would hold them up, as airport closures and other issues would inconvience them in fact any tourist pretty much. This can't be good for the economy.....

The political situation in Malaysia is not that stable as well.

Anwar is back in parliament and the PM is about to resign as well.

I was visiting KL when he was in court or something like that ... nice traffic jam in the morning.

to the average person it may as well not be happening.

That seems to be changing in light of train, plane, airport shut-downs and now talk of a power cut...... :D

I'm in Cambodia on a work assignment and due to return on the 6th with my niece to get her settled for the new University term. We won't put it off from our side, but I am worried about not being able fly in............. :o

Interestingly there has been a huge decrease in Cambodians travelling to Thailand (referring here to legal official travel, of which there is normally a lot, for business and for medical care) - not because of the PAD/PPP thing but becauise of the Preah Vihear thing. They (Cambodians) are afraid of being targeted or discriminated against. I've had numerous friends and acquaintances ask me if it would be safe for them to go.....

This is how the ABC is reporting the situation to Australians:

Aust travellers stuck in Thailand as protests spread

Posted 5 hours 31 minutes ago

Updated 3 hours 39 minutes ago

r287455_1226433.jpgPAD supporters clash with riot police in Bangkok. (Reuters)

Hundreds of Australian airline passengers travelling to and from Thailand have had their travel plans disrupted as several airports remain closed due to spreading political demonstrations.

The resort island of Phuket has closed its airport after thousands of protesters staged anti-government demonstrations. Two regional airports have also closed down.

Jetstar says around 300 passengers who were due to fly back to Sydney last night have been delayed.

A spokeswoman says they have been accommodated in hotels in Phuket until the airport there re-opens.

A jetstar flight from Sydney to Phuket was also diverted to Bangkok last night with around 260 passengers on board.

They have also been put up in hotels until the situation is resolved.

The Department of Foreign Affairs says it is not aware of any safety concerns for Australian travellers but it will continue to monitor the situation.

King briefed

Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has briefed King Bhumibol Adulaydej on the anti-government protests spreading around the country, a government official has said.

The premier flew from Bangkok around midnight (local time) by private jet to the nearby seaside resort town of Hua Hin, where the king is in residence, the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

"He reported to the king on the current situation and he will return to Bangkok today," the official said.

King Bhumibol is currently staying at his Klaikangwon palace, whose name means "Far from Worries".

Although the king has little formal political power, he holds enormous sway over his subjects and has acted as a referee during past political crises.

Mr Samak was scheduled to return to Bangkok at 10.00am to meet with Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn at a previously scheduled event on national reconciliation.

Despite torrential rains early Saturday, thousands of protesters continued to barricade themselves for a fifth day inside Bangkok's main government complex in the capital, demanding that Samak resign and accusing him of acting as a puppet for ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Skirmishes had broken out Friday as police used shields and batons to deal with angry mobs, causing slight injuries to a handful of protesters.

The protests also spread to southern Thailand, where activists marched on a three key regional airports, including on the holiday isle of Phuket.

I got an email this morning, our annual Petroleum conference that was scheduled for Phuket next month has been moved to Malasia, it got me to thinking, are you looking at putting off your plans for a Thailand holiday until this blows over? Are you worried about violence towards foreigners in connection with PAD? I live up Khon Kaen way 50% of the time, and no one i know has experienced any problems yet, just curious!

Thanks

Transportation around the country maybe a bit of a problem for farang, otherwise I have seen no violence toward farangs. I say, if you decide to come, just use good judgement and avoid crowds/prostesters and you should have an enjoyable visit to LOS. :o

Edited by BigSnake

to the average person it may as well not be happening.

That seems to be changing in light of train, plane, airport shut-downs and now talk of a power cut...... :D

I'm in Cambodia on a work assignment and due to return on the 6th with my niece to get her settled for the new University term. We won't put it off from our side, but I am worried about not being able fly in............. :o

Interestingly there has been a huge decrease in Cambodians travelling to Thailand (referring here to legal official travel, of which there is normally a lot, for business and for medical care) - not because of the PAD/PPP thing but becauise of the Preah Vihear thing. They (Cambodians) are afraid of being targeted or discriminated against. I've had numerous friends and acquaintances ask me if it would be safe for them to go.....

Strange that !! I came to Cambodia just about a week ago and there were quite a large number of Cambodians on board to what i usualy notice , talk of Preaha Vihear is also not so noticeable these days amongst my tuk-tuk men who are usualy up on what i should or should not be doing , differing circles by association i guess .

This story is now right at the top of the page for major Australian newspaper, "The Age" online:

Aussies stranded in Thailand
  • August 30, 2008 - 6:47PM

About 15,000 passengers were stranded on the holiday isle of Phuket today as hundreds of anti-government protesters blocked access to the island's airport, officials said.

Thailand's second-busiest airport was closed yesterday afternoon after 5,000 protesters set up a blockade and marched down the tarmac, forcing authorities to suspend flights to and from the island.

About 400 protesters from the so-called People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), which is also squatting on the main government compound in Bangkok, blocked access to the airport today.

Frustrated travellers carrying backpacks and rolling luggage behind them tried to enter the terminal. About 100 made it inside before the protesters started turning them away.

"I want to go home. I have nothing to do with this situation," one frustrated Australian man told AFP.

Wicha Nurnlop, director of Phuket International Airport, told reporters that the airport would remain closed at least through 6pm today (2100 AEST).

Hundreds of Australian travellers remain in limbo in Thailand after Jetstar diverted its Sydney-Phuket flight to Bangkok last night following the airport closure.

A Jetstar spokeswoman said Australian passengers booked on the return flight from Phuket to Sydney had been provided with accommodation as they waited for the airport to reopen.

The spokeswoman could not specify how long the 265 passengers would have to wait.

"(Passengers) in Phuket have been accommodated, if they haven't been able to remain in their hotels that they were already staying in," she told AAP today.

"Once we've got the advice from DFAT (Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade) and the airport is open then we will know that we can operate out.

So far more than 100 flights have been cancelled, including 25 on international routes, leaving 15,000 passengers stranded, Wicha said.

Tourists have been given free hotel rooms until the airport reopens, while authorities were scrambling to arrange buses for about 100 passengers trying to connect to onward flights in Bangkok, he added.

Few police were seen at the airport, and protesters appeared to have been allowed to roam facilities freely.

Wicha said protesters were demanding the government release 85 detained activists and calling for Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej's resignation.

The nearby Krabi airport also remained closed since last night, the operator Airports of Thailand said.

But the southern airport in Hat Yai had reopened for a Thai Airways flight early today, after protesters had forced its closure yesterday as well.

A DFAT spokesman said Australians should stay away from the political rallies or "concentrations of military personnel", and follow any instructions issued by local authorities.

"Our Embassy in Bangkok is monitoring the situation closely and is in touch with local authorities," the spokesman told AAP today.

"Our post in Bangkok is not aware of any safety concerns for Australian travellers, but continues to monitor the situation."

AAP, AFP

The story is also at the top of the page of ABC online and close to the top for The Australian.

These are the main national newspapers.

Those saying that it doesn't affect foreigners are speaking from experience. Holiday makers just see what is on the news, and as usual, it doesn't look good. As for the convention as well, of course they changed it, why take the risk when you can go elsewhere without it?

This is a minority of people tryng inflict their will on the majority - every group claims they are supporting the monarch - in these very unusual circumstances the monarch should make a public statement that democracy is not about minorities protesting and deny them the opportunity to claim they are acting in the name of the King. They cannot claim to be Peoples Alliance for Democracy when they do not support the democratic process - democracy is about the ballot box not the protest platform.

Thailand depends heavily on the tourist industry and any politician who jumps on nationalist bandwaggons that claim foreigners are not welcome is damning the lives of future generations. It is easy to mobilise people in times of rising prices and international factors which damage the economy. I say to Thailand - that you are just a part of the world as is england russia, america and even Chine - the world is gradually realising that none of us really live on a self sufficient island - all countries depend on one another.

Disrupting tourism by occupying airports in areas where survical depends on tourism is an example of just how out of touch these politicians are - and people who work in worldwide tourism such as airport controllers who strike in peak times are equally stupid - they are just damaging their own long term job prospects

BKK Post:

Local travel falls flat with protest

CHATRUDEE THEPARAT & CHADAMAS CHINMANEEVONG

pic38.jpgAs many as 90% of local tourists have scrapped their immediate travel plans as security forces clashed with protesters of the People's Alliance for Democracy Friday.

Strikes by sympathetic state enterprise employees have already stranded thousands of travellers without rail and air services, while PAD members have mobilised across the country to close off key roads.

Maiyarat Pheerayakoses, the president of the Association of Domestic Travel, broke down in tears as she reported at a meeting at the Tourism and Sports Ministry that agents were reporting 90% cancellation rates for local package tours.

Reports that airports in Hat Yai, Phuket and Krabi had been forced to shut down or severely curtail operations due to mass sick leaves by staff also boded ill for the tourism sector.

Union leaders at Thai Airways International also announced they would cease work, joining their counterparts at the State Railway of Thailand in protesting against the government's handling of the crisis.

Mrs Maiyarat said a complete meltdown of the tourism sector could occur if the protests turn violent and transport links shut down.

”Some foreign tourists have also cut back their trips with many staying away from Bangkok because of worries for their safety,'' she said.

According to Ms Maiyarat, the number of Thai tourists might not reach their target this year as prolonged political problems would definitely dampen travelling sentiment of people who are already feeling the pinch from high oil prices and rising inflation.

She also called on the government and the PAD to find a way to resolve the political deadlock peacefully before the impact deepened.

Apichart Sankary, the president of the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA), said the occupancy rate of hotels and guesthouses in Rattanakosin island, located in the centre of Bangkok and near the PAD protest sites, had fallen sharply as tourists had shifted to stay in other areas to avoid traffic congestion.

Mr Apichart said members had yet to receive reports of significant cancellations by foreign travellers, adding that for the European market, political protests were commonplace.

But he cautioned that tourism in the upcoming high season could fall flat if the PAD protests turned violent, and expressed hope that the situation would become calm over the weekend.

Prakit Shinamornpong, the president of the Thai Hotels Association, shared the view that if the turmoil ended this weekend, the long-term impact on the industry would be slight.

September was the month when bookings for the holiday season were generally made, he said. ``If the protests end before next month, then things should be okay.''

But tourist operators are apprehensive about the situation and whether a solution could be found, considering that the PAD protests have been going on for four months.

Natapong Jantavetsiri, the group director of sales and marketing with Centara Hotels & Resorts, said the company was quite worried about the situation.

``We are closely following the situation. If the situation continues until tomorrow, this will affect advance bookings in the high season and the tourism industries of Phuket, Hat Yai and Krabi,'' he said, referring to airport closings in Phuket and Krabi on Friday.

Mr Natapong said he had spoken with staff at Centara hotels in Phuket, Hat Yai and Krabi, where no room cancellations had been reported so far. However, he said there would surely be cancellations Saturday if the tension persisted. Even now, some guests who were scheduled to depart from Phuket and Krabi Friday must delay their plans, he noted.

First page of the SCMP this morning (No 1 HongKong english newspaper) : "Hongkongers caught out by Thay protests, 400 HK tourists stuck in Pukhet".

The problem is hundreds of HK tourists fly to Thailand every week. If you don't believe me, have a look at Cathay counters at Bangok airport. They usually spend in 2-3 days what the average falang spends in one month. Now, if they stop coming, and not only them, tourists from Japan and China will follow,Thailand will have a big problem.

BKK Post:

Maiyarat Pheerayakoses, the president of the Association of Domestic Travel, broke down in tears as she reported at a meeting at the Tourism and Sports Ministry that agents were reporting 90% cancellation rates for local package tours.

I would advise Khun Pheerayakoses to beware of the herd mentality in times of crisis, and respond accordingly.

Just as there is opportunity in failure, there is also opportunity in perceived crises, should the market be allowed to function. Demand might be down temporarily. But an excess of supply with low demand, means that consumer opportunities will arise and people will take advantage of them.

Despite the current protests and upheavals, there are many things about which to remain very upbeat. Thailand remains a holiday paradise and offers some of the best tourist destinations in the region. Also, many world currencies still enjoy healthy buying power in the country.

From my perspective, the most important thing is to look at the long term and for Thailand, the best long term view is a democratic way of government in whatever form the people choose to make it. This future should include the military becoming subordinate to the civilian government. Should the democratic way continue into the future, and free market principles gain wider acceptance, then there is no reason why Thailand could not be one of the most stable areas in a relatively unstable region.

Thailand should be catering to people who don't or won't follow the herd mentality. The herd backing away from the situation only means one thing, that those who don't follow the herd will find many bargains and opportunity.

Now is the time for Thailand's tourism advocates to step up their marketing campaigns, and do whatever it takes to stablize this industry, not tremble and retreat in the face of adversity.

At the same time, this should also serve notice to Thailand's government leaders to recognize on which side their bread is buttered. Tourism has been, is and will continue to be a staple of the Thai economy. Thailand's leaders should view their tourist areas as natural resources and ensure there is sufficient stability for their businesses, citizens and patrons to benefit from it.

Edit:

IMHO, citizens assembling and protesting government action should be viewed as a sign that personal freedoms common to democracies are firmly in place. The key to all this is keeping the democratic principles alive and working. On the other hand, I completely disagree with protesters causing disturbances that have resulted in airports being closed.

Political protests are all well and good. On the other hand, airports are essential functions of most economies and allowing the protests to get sufficiently out of hand to warrant airport closures is wrong and should not be tolerated.

Freedom of speech and freedom to assemble are positive aspects of any democracy. However, there are limits to everything and while people may have freedoms of speech and assembly, they do not have freedom from liability and responsibility when laws are broken, businesses are affected, etc.

Edited by Spee

BKK Post:

I would advise Khun Pheerayakoses to beware of the herd mentality in times of crisis, and respond accordingly.

Just as there is opportunity in failure, there is also opportunity in perceived crises, should the market be allowed to function. Demand might be down temporarily. But an excess of supply with low demand, means that consumer opportunities will arise and people will take advantage of them.

Despite the current protests and upheavals, there are many things about which to remain very upbeat. Thailand remains a holiday paradise and offers some of the best tourist destinations in the region. Also, many world currencies still enjoy healthy buying power in the country.

re herd mentality: sheeple will be sheeple

From my perspective, the most important thing is to look at the long term and for Thailand, the best long term view is a democratic way of government in whatever form the people choose to make it. This future should include the military becoming subordinate to the civilian government. Should the democratic way continue into the future, and free market principles gain wider acceptance, then there is no reason why Thailand could not be one of the most stable areas in a relatively unstable region.

Thailand should be catering to people who don't or won't follow the herd mentality. The herd backing away from the situation only means one thing, that those who don't follow the herd will find many bargains and opportunity.

Now is the time for Thailand's tourism advocates to step up their marketing campaigns, and do whatever it takes to stablize this industry, not tremble and retreat in the face of adversity.

At the same time, this should also serve notice to Thailand's government leaders to recognize on which side their bread is buttered. Tourism has been, is and will continue to be a staple of the Thai economy. Thailand's leaders should view their tourist areas as natural resources and ensure there is sufficient stability for their businesses, citizens and patrons to benefit from it.

Edit:

IMHO, citizens assembling and protesting government action should be viewed as a sign that personal freedoms common to democracies are firmly in place. The key to all this is keeping the democratic principles alive and working. On the other hand, I completely disagree with protesters causing disturbances that have resulted in airports being closed.

Political protests are all well and good. On the other hand, airports are essential functions of most economies and allowing the protests to get sufficiently out of hand to warrant airport closures is wrong and should not be tolerated.

Freedom of speech and freedom to assemble are positive aspects of any democracy. However, there are limits to everything and while people may have freedoms of speech and assembly, they do not have freedom from liability and responsibility when laws are broken, businesses are affected, etc.

Until you can realise that all goverment does not give 2 sh""s about its people it is in place for profit and control.

When you can see this then you can understand how goverment reacts to public protest.Protest is allowed when it cannot harm big corperations from which nations profit and it allows people to think they have a voice or power.But when it start affecting tourism industry,stock market it starts getting serious and the powers at top have decisions to make.I predict goverment violence very soon as protests are now international concern.

Sunday trip with car to Bangkok: (Pattaya - BKK)

No problem at all, no extra traffic, no police or militairy

Passing Suvirnabumi Airport: no protesters

Chachutchak market (Minburi): no protesters, Thai people extremely friendly (and tired from the PAD-actions (" only few Thai like this" )

Same as coup 2006: local problems in Bangkok - Governement House and surroundings.

Elswhere nothing to see, life goes on (and tourism) ...

Don't panic - the media needs the sensation !!

Thanks

In releation to your OP, jimmyyy, should someone keep their flight arrival plans to arrive in Bangkok in 2 weeks.

How is the current airport situation?

TIA.

• 4 months later...