Best Pizza In Pattaya?

hendrix

I recently went to Pizza Big. Only the second time after not going for years as when I am in Naklua I usually eat German (or Thai).

Sorry to report Pizza Big which I remember fondly from my first visit, has lost me as a customer for life. This isn't a big loss for them, but I think others should know.

-- Pizza quality, lower quality than last time in terms of cheese, the crust tasted good (but BURNT, see below), and the sauce was just OK, the meat topping I had was good

-- Size, significantly less BIG. Not really complaining about that, just saying, and actually very funny considering their name

-- Major Complant! My pizza arrived with massive blackening on the bottom of the crust. Every piece was effected. The pizza was clearly less than a minute from being completely inedible. Upon realizing this I made a little show of examining the black crust and made kind of a face to the waitress indicating my displeasure. At that point I was EXPECTING her to talk to me about the problem. Instead she started laughing and smiling, I know, I know, a typical Thai response. However I decided I was going to get major flack trying to return this pizza, so I ate it. The crust actually tasted good and not very burnt, but I hate the idea of eating a burnt crust. There was no foreign owner around; otherwise I would have complained.

Naklua is out of my usual eating area. No need for a special trip for a just OK pizza that might be burnt (and you can't send it back). Bye Bye Pizza Big.

I'm surprised by this report. We went there last week, a group of 8 people and had a various selection of pizzas, and everybody loved them. It is always possible to make a mistake and leave a pizza a couple of minutes too long, I don't condone it, just say it's an error that can happen without it having to be a standard thing for the place. As for content everybody were happy. As for size I think it's the largest standard pizzas I've seen in Pattaya. (not by a huge margin perhaps but certainly as big as the majority.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pizza Big. Not saying it is small. Just saying they have reduced the size dramatically from my last visit, when it was actually HUGE. OK?

Burnt pizza? Yes it can happen. Bad service and laughing at a customer who is clearly distressed over a mistake that is given as good (and in a really good restaurant would have NEVER made it out of the kitchen), no that is inexcusable.

Surprised? My corrected vision is excellent. I know what the color BLACK looks like. My report is accurate.

Edited by Jingthing

Pizza Big. Not saying it is small. Just saying they have reduced the size dramatically from my last visit, when it was actually HUGE. OK?

Burnt pizza? Yes it can happen. Bad service and laughing at a customer who is clearly distressed over a mistake that is given as good (and in a really good restaurant would have NEVER made it out of the kitchen), no that is inexcusable.

Surprised? My corrected vision is excellent. I know what the color BLACK looks like. My report is accurate.

I am also surprised by your negative report. But I don't doubt your experience on this isolated occasion.

Although I haven't been since the New Year I have always been happy with their Pizzas.

I think that you suffered a 'one-off' burnt pizza and I think it is only fair that you make a return visit to experience a delicious pizza.

The problem was I am sure they would have resisted redoing my burnt pizza. That pissed me off and my personal decision is final. I like other places that are better, closer, and with management who would not laugh at me when they serve their cooking mistakes.

If I lived closer to Big, I might try it again, but then ONLY if there was a European owner on the premises.

Edited by Jingthing

I believe you, just saying I don't think burned pizza is par for the course for this place. About the laugh, as you already said yourself, TiT :)

And I don't think anyone would call this a fine dining restaurant. It's a pizza parlor :D

Edited by Phil Conners

I believe you, just saying I don't think burned pizza is par for the course for this place. About the laugh, as you already said yourself, TiT :)

And I don't think anyone would call this a fine dining restaurant. It's a pizza parlor :D

Agreed TIT. And my form of TIT is denying them future business and telling people what can happen there. Up to you if you think their pizza is that great. I don't.

I've been in Thailand for seven years now, and I now know their isnt any good Pizzas in Thailand. The reason plain and simple. Cheese. The closest I've gotten to an edible Pizza is at the Hopf on Soi 13 and the beach at 190 Baht, a very reasonable price,

Barry

There is a place on Soi Xzyte called 'Italy Pizza' next to the 'Saint George and Dragon' bar.

I recommend the pizzas there, priced from 180 baht they are made in a genuine wood oven.

Best to go after sunset though as that's when things get going.

I've been in Thailand for seven years now, and I now know their isnt any good Pizzas in Thailand. The reason plain and simple. Cheese. The closest I've gotten to an edible Pizza is at the Hopf on Soi 13 and the beach at 190 Baht, a very reasonable price,

Barry

I had a calzone with ricotta there which was very nice. Have you tried Volterra? I think his cheese is good and I believe imported from Italy.

There is a place on Soi Xzyte called 'Italy Pizza' next to the 'Saint George and Dragon' bar.

I recommend the pizzas there, priced from 180 baht they are made in a genuine wood oven.

Best to go after sunset though as that's when things get going.

Agreed.

Upon realizing this I made a little show of examining the black crust and made kind of a face to the waitress indicating my displeasure. At that point I was EXPECTING her to talk to me about the problem. Instead she started laughing and smiling, I know, I know, a typical Thai response. However I decided I was going to get major flack trying to return this pizza, so I ate it. The crust actually tasted good and not very burnt, but I hate the idea of eating a burnt crust. There was no foreign owner around; otherwise I would have complained.

Quite odd, that - what kept you from sending it back to the kitchen and requesting one that isn't burnt?

Anyway... Back to the topic of who makes the "best" pizza.

Most replies in this kind of thread are useless, because many have different tastes.

I like my pizza on very thin bread with thin crust, and the toppings should not drown in tomato sauce, fat or cheese. Meaty toppings should be a bit roasted on the top, a bit of garlic makes the taste round.

So, where can I find this type of pizza?

P.S.

I had a look at the Dao café homepage, and the pizzas showed there definitely don't qualify for "thin bread".

Edited by manarak

For those living south of Jomtien...or who would like to have their pizza while sitting on the beach and watching the sunset...there is a nice little place near the Pinnacle Hotel. The Pinnacle is between Huay Yai road and the Ambassador. Go past the Pinnacle and turn right where the road runs into the beach. Down about 100 meters on the beach is a small place with a brick oven for baking the pies. It is owned by an Australian and they do a pretty good job on their pizzas.

We ate there a few weeks ago and had a table right over the beach. Decent prices, thin crust pizza, and great scenery. I can't remember the name, but look for the kangaroo sign outside. They also do Aussie pies...

For those living south of Jomtien...or who would like to have their pizza while sitting on the beach and watching the sunset...there is a nice little place near the Pinnacle Hotel. The Pinnacle is between Huay Yai road and the Ambassador. Go past the Pinnacle and turn right where the road runs into the beach. Down about 100 meters on the beach is a small place with a brick oven for baking the pies. It is owned by an Australian and they do a pretty good job on their pizzas.

We ate there a few weeks ago and had a table right over the beach. Decent prices, thin crust pizza, and great scenery. I can't remember the name, but look for the kangaroo sign outside. They also do Aussie pies...

Sounds like a really good place, Craig, thanks. If you live in Jomtien and don't wanna travel down Sukhumvit, you can try Cafe Le Mar for good pizza, too...

Sounds like a really good place, Craig, thanks. If you live in Jomtien and don't wanna travel down Sukhumvit, you can try Cafe Le Mar for good pizza, too...

Yes, we were there today. The name is "Drifters". Right on the beach. Thin crust and not overdone with cheese or tomato sauce. Somewhat light...which I do like.

Now, where is Cafe Le Mar????

Craig

I order from Nick's pizza about once a month for delivery. (I don't think there is a restaurant). The pizza is ...ok (I prefer the vegetarian) but I order from them because they have a reliable staff that can understand English (when calling); quick service; and knows your location after you call once. If "Nick the Pizzaman" is reading this, he needs to improve his cheese toppings and maybe have a pizza that is more "Italian" with spices than just tomato paste.

I believe you, just saying I don't think burned pizza is par for the course for this place. About the laugh, as you already said yourself, TiT :D

I was one of the 8 people that night and can confirm, we were all very pleased by the pizza quality. Nice, thin, crispy, just enough topping to make it not too overloaded, still all surface covered, cheese in right amounts....nothing wrong with it! :)

burned pizza...well...shit happens, forgotten in the oven. Condemnable was the reaction of the staff, not the burned pizza.

• 1 year later...

Finally I've found a great Pizza place!, wood fired oven, thin crust. If that's not enough.......it's right on the beach, I mean 1 meter away from the water. This place is frequented mainly by expats working in the area. A well kept secret

Just after Huay Yai traffic lights on Sukhumvit road look to the right and you will see Naa Jomtien Soi 8, follow the road all the way to the beach.

www.driftersbeachcafe.com

Finally I've found a great Pizza place!, wood fired oven, thin crust. If that's not enough.......it's right on the beach, I mean 1 meter away from the water. This place is frequented mainly by expats working in the area. A well kept secret

Just after Huay Yai traffic lights on Sukhumvit road look to the right and you will see Naa Jomtien Soi 8, follow the road all the way to the beach.

www.driftersbeachcafe.com

Looks not bad... it is very very far from Patts, but looks not bad.

Why don't you use a google map on your site?

Those drawn maps are always terrible, and make the place only marginally easier to find

There's this place called Deli-zza, which has been talked about a lot on another thread. Anyway, I just had their crispy thin crust pizza last night......and it was really, really good. I wasn't sure if a 12" inch was enough, but one of the owners promised my it would be more than enough, HE WAS RIGHT.

They put more mozzarella on than ANY pizza I have had in Thailand ( and it's good cheese too) and they don't hold back on toppings either. Prices are higher than average, but you're definitely getting what you pay for

I've agreed with previous posters about the restaurant that it is definitely not the prettiest place on the planet, but after talking to the owners I realize that it's because they don't have a million baht to throw around to make a pretty restaurant at this point.

Their menu is limited, but everything on it right now is great. I also tried their Ruben sandwich.....um yes, it's the REAL DEAL!

It's just past Just Burgers in soi Casa Jomtien. They do have a sign on the building so look carefully. Oh yeah, they deliver in the Jomtien area too. Next I will try their delivery service and post my findings.

There's this place called Deli-zza, which has been talked about a lot on another thread. Anyway, I just had their crispy thin crust pizza last night......and it was really, really good. I wasn't sure if a 12" inch was enough, but one of the owners promised my it would be more than enough, HE WAS RIGHT.

They put more mozzarella on than ANY pizza I have had in Thailand ( and it's good cheese too) and they don't hold back on toppings either. Prices are higher than average, but you're definitely getting what you pay for

I've agreed with previous posters about the restaurant that it is definitely not the prettiest place on the planet, but after talking to the owners I realize that it's because they don't have a million baht to throw around to make a pretty restaurant at this point.

Their menu is limited, but everything on it right now is great. I also tried their Ruben sandwich.....um yes, it's the REAL DEAL!

It's just past Just Burgers in soi Casa Jomtien. They do have a sign on the building so look carefully. Oh yeah, they deliver in the Jomtien area too. Next I will try their delivery service and post my findings.

I just had my first pizza there--Italian sausage and mushroom. It was really good, especially the homemade Italian sausage. I ordered the "small" pizza, but it was so large I could only eat half. About ten days ago I tried a corned beef sandwich and it was great, like a good deli corned beef sandwich back in the USA. I look forward to trying the Reuben on my next visit to Deli-zza.

I just had my first pizza there--Italian sausage and mushroom. It was really good, especially the homemade Italian sausage. I ordered the "small" pizza, but it was so large I could only eat half. About ten days ago I tried a corned beef sandwich and it was great, like a good deli corned beef sandwich back in the USA. I look forward to trying the Reuben on my next visit to Deli-zza.

Is it thin pizza bread?

Do they use olive oil, oregano and garlic?

Is it thin pizza bread?

Do they use olive oil, oregano and garlic?

Yes, it is thin crust, which I prefer to thick crust. I could taste oregano and garlic, especially in the homemade Italian sausage. I am not sure about olive oil. I am sure that if you ask the owner he will no doubt make any pizza you want.

• 2 weeks later...

Pizza Hut is OK.

Pizza Company I've been once and shall never go again. Who wants mayo on their pizza. Ughhhhh

New York Pizza I've tried twice. Wings are not great (watery sauce). Pizza so far is hit and miss: First time tried medium carnivore (very good), Second time was same but large size... it was oily in the center, all the way through to the bottom of the pizza box, very disappointing!

The best American style (one American style of many) pizza is now definitely Deli-zza, hands down. For Italian style pizza there is a lot of near equal competition, but none really stands out as a clear winner to me. Nothing stellar though in the Italian category.

My wife and I ordered a 16" pepperoni and cheese with extra pepperoni and cheese. First of all it was HUGE. we could only eat half of it. As we pulled a piece off, the cheese would ooozzzee off the edge. Excellent... One of the best I have eaten in Pattaya.

• 2 months later...

I went last night to the pizzeria in Naklua, Pizza Big...I honestly say that the Pizza Hut is much better!

The pizza was soggy and the ingredients not so fresh. When I got the bill (we were in 2) I thought they have mistaken the table!!

Extremely overpriced and a quality drop down!

Good NickPizza and as well Il drago in jomtien