Phuket, Krabi Airports Still Shut

george

Ok so I finally got a hold of Air Asia. The friendly lady in customer service confirmed that tonights flights would go as scheduled. Guess I'm off to the airport. Thanks again for all the updates and help.

Edited by wraptor

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both Simon and I live within earshot of the Airport, if or when we hear a plane take-off or land please rest assured, one of us will announce the occasion.

Our collective ears are turned skywards.

What is the status of the mob can i get in to the airport or like friday will i have to walk 1 km with 30 kilos of luggage

Hi all who can help???? we have heard that Krabi airport has opened businees as usual. We are planning to get to krabi to bangkok to cath our connecting flight to the uk. We need any help in confirming that Krabi airport is open as we are hearing mixed stories. Air asia are the operator we are trying to fly with as they where our original operator for our scheduled flight on friday (trying to avoid further costs!!!!)

Can any 1 help..... PLEASE!!!! :o

Hi all who can help???? we have heard that Krabi airport has opened businees as usual. We are planning to get to krabi to bangkok to cath our connecting flight to the uk. We need any help in confirming that Krabi airport is open as we are hearing mixed stories. Air asia are the operator we are trying to fly with as they where our original operator for our scheduled flight on friday (trying to avoid further costs!!!!)

Can any 1 help..... PLEASE!!!! :o

@ Peace50,

try to contact AirAsia BEFORE you drive to Krabi. I do not suggest doing this before they confirmed you get a flight to BKK from there. The situation in Krabi is near the same as in Phuket after all I read. PAD said that they will close Krabi again it to many flights leaving or arriving to and fro

contact your Travel agency or Air Asia, wait for confirmation.....thats what I would suggest.

13.45:

THE AIRPORT IS OPEN!

I just got back from the airport. It has re-opened, with all traffic going via the VIP entrance, (just by my hotel!). The main gates are still locked with PAD protesters outside.

According to the flight TV screens, first flight is due in from BKK at about 15.30 and first flights out at around 16.30. I saw destinations of BKK, KL, Singapore and Incheon (Korea).

It is mandatory if you travel to the airport via the VIP entrance, that you stop by my hotel and say hallo!! :o

Simon

Phuket Airport still locked down

PHUKET: Phuket International Airport continues closed. An airport official who asked not to be named told the Gazette this afternoon that although the furor of the protestors has abated somewhat, the mob''s dedication to keeping the airport closed remains firm.

The same trusted source notes that it is not possible for airport management to make an estimate as to when the facility might be open again.

The number of outbound tourists unable to leave Phuket province is now estimated to exceed 15,000.

The international airport in neighboring Krabi province also remains under siege.

THAI Airways is telling stranded Phuket-bound passengers in Bangkok that the airport in Surathani province, approximately two hours by bus from Phuket, "may reopen" later this afternoon.

Brought to you by:

The Phuket Gazette

13:30 local time (GMT +7)

Huge thank you to Simon and Leungken and others! I'm scheduled to fly out for KL on Air Asia at 9 p.m. I was scheduled for the same flight yesterday and received an email around 5 stating that the flight was cancelled. I'll update in this thread if such a thing happens again.

Simon, which hotel is yours and where is it? I'd be happy to give a personal thank you on my way to the airport.

-Bill

if the most expensive internetshop in the south (on HKT international) is closed or busy, please feel free to call ME from the airport with the latest news on flights, I will post it here in ThaiVisa Forum then.

tel. 087 214 83 84

moskito

Simon

Free drink? :o

:D

sure, jetset. you can buy simon43 a drink for all his reporting :D

Despite all rumors that supplies will run out due to the strike of the SRT, the PAD (Pub for Advanced Drinkers) will be open tonite. There will be democratic demonstrations for free beer, and all those who could not catch their flight are cordially invited to join. post-8625-1220171856_thumb.jpg.

Flightstats, and TG's website, shows TG 213 in the air and due to land at HKT at 15:48 (18 minutes late).

Is it landed?

I have to fly Bangkok tomorrow at 14:30 and to europe in the night. I bought also the ticket for the bus scheduled for 6.20 this evening and i was going to the bus station when this news came out.

Air asia confirmed that the filght will be as normal tomorrow.

I really don't know what should i do.

Any news please?

Flightstats, and TG's website, shows TG 213 in the air and due to land at HKT at 15:48 (18 minutes late).

Is it landed?

I have to fly Bangkok tomorrow at 14:30 and to europe in the night. I bought also the ticket for the bus scheduled for 6.20 this evening and i was going to the bus station when this news came out.

Air asia confirmed that the filght will be as normal tomorrow.

I really don't know what should i do.

Any news please?

It worked perfect yesterday with the Bus, which will stop in Bangkok at SAI TAI. A friend of mine made it to the airport from there by Taxi and the flight to Maco took of as scheduled. Bon Voyage.

no news on the planes which arrived at 16:00 ? or that one which started at 15:30??

nothing new yet?

from Phuket Gazette 50min ago

Phuket Airport reopens

PHUKET AIRPORT: Phuket International Airport has re-opened, two days after protesters stormed the facility, forcing it to close.

Although there are still protestors at the gate to the facility, the first flight is expected to land within the next 15 minutes.

More than 1,000 People’s Alliance for Democracy protesters on Friday overran the main gate. Some parts of the main terminal were damaged, and protesters made their way onto the runway, forcing airport authorities to halt all flights in and out of Phuket.

HAI AIRWAYS INTL - TG 213

Operational Flight Information

Airport Hour FLIGHT INFORMATION

Suvarnabhumi International (BKK), Bangkok, Thailand 14:23 LEFT THE GATE

Suvarnabhumi International (BKK), Bangkok, Thailand 14:43 TOOK OFF

Suvarnabhumi International (BKK), Bangkok, Thailand 00:13 PLANE IS LATE IN HOURS MINUTES)

Suvarnabhumi International (BKK), Bangkok, Thailand - NS CONTROL DECISIONS

Phuket International (HKT), Phuket, Thailand 15:48 ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL

Phuket International (HKT), Phuket, Thailand 15:42 AIRCRAFT LANDED

Phuket International (HKT), Phuket, Thailand 15:47 ARRIVED

post-8625-1220171856_thumb.jpg.

nice pic of your house fxe, will you please understand that the situation is not so funny for everybody, as it is for you?

The bus to BKK is for sure a way but better to save some hours by plane. I hate these kamikaze bus drivers.

If I had to get from HKT to BKK to catch an international flight I would still plan on taking the bus for the next few days. It will take quite a few days for PG, FD, TG to get back up to speed what with coordinating flight crews and equipment rotations. Also there are a lot of passengers queued up for flights, so it might take two or three days to get back to normal?

I assume they'll try the same thing next Friday - Sunday unless the political situation changes drastically or PAD modifies their disruption strategies.

post-8625-1220171856_thumb.jpg.

nice pic of your house fxe, will you please understand that the situation is not so funny for everybody, as it is for you?

The bus to BKK is for sure a way but better to save some hours by plane. I hate these kamikaze bus drivers.

The situation was not funny for me too, but a little joke might eventually delight the most despaired minds.

I myself left a Bus coming from Ranong in the middle of the pampa lately, because I could not stand the dangerous driving.

But all this is off topic.

16.50 Phuket International Airport’s flights finally restarted after it was shut down for 2 days due to PAD protests

The Thai Airways International Flight TG 213 touched down at Phuket International Airport at 15.47 today bringing relief for officials and local tourism sectors, but more importantly tourists & passengers who got delayed by the protest which started since Friday afternoon. It was approximately 47 hours before the flights were allowed to take off and land at the airport after the facility was forced to shut down since 16.45 on Friday August 29th August. The flight carried about 330 passengers, including Phuket Governor Niran Galanamitr.

17.01 The PAD has announced that they stopped their protest at Phuket airport at 3.30pm. After the statement they helped open the gate of the airport. The statement however insisted that their members would return if the government applied violence. The members will travel to Bangkok to support others in pressurizing the Prime Minister to resign.

A Phuket International Airport press release reported that since the closure of 29 August, until 11am today 31 August, a total of 181 flights from 11 airlines and about 30,000 passengers had been delayed. Among these, 13,000 were out-going, with 17,000 in-coming. Around 137 tonnes of cargo goods could not be transported. Thai Airways International was most affected as it had 21 flights per day. The Phuket Tourist Association president Somboon Chirayus estimated the damage caused approx. 250 million baht per day with ongoing effects, as safety is a sensitive issue for travelers.

Edited by NBT TV Phuket

...All quiet at the airport. More of my guests are opting to take buses up to BKK, and thence onto their next destination. Simon

It wouldn't wonder me if the mob owns the buscompany

some mob here on the forum wonder who owns thailand. i can assure you, that it is not the peaceful protest. thailand is owned or at least treated as their 'legitimate' property by some billionaires and their cronies. amongst them a bailjumping fugitive and his puppets in highest places who cling to their troughs and are the cause of and reason for this mess. we all hope, that it's over soon, unbloody and peaceful. we may differ in who can do that easiest and fastest. i say: samak has to go.....

If I had to get from HKT to BKK to catch an international flight I would still plan on taking the bus for the next few days. It will take quite a few days for PG, FD, TG to get back up to speed what with coordinating flight crews and equipment rotations. Also there are a lot of passengers queued up for flights, so it might take two or three days to get back to normal?

You end this as a question? I hope your speculation is incorrect.

Readers of phuketwan.com have been well aware the airport was scheduled to reopen. We told them yesterday about this morning's meetings, and at 11.20am told them the airport was going to reopen. Don't mean to be boastful, but we followed up with a long, thorough, reliable report.

Readers of phuketwan.com have been well aware the airport was scheduled to reopen. We told them yesterday about this morning's meetings, and at 11.20am told them the airport was going to reopen. Don't mean to be boastful, but we followed up with a long, thorough, reliable report.

Mr. Morison, your report mentioned a few airlines, how about Air Asia's status?

Mr. Morison, your report mentioned a few airlines, how about Air Asia's status?

By this time yesterday I had an email from Air Asia stating my flight was canceled. I have gotten no such message today and am prepared to go in a little while for my 9 p.m. flight. Someone earlier in the thread had called Air Asia and they told him that all flights were still scheduled.

-Bill

It looks like another TG flight landed, and will turn. And maybe PG has a single flight en-route. It does not look like FD has any birds in flight so unless they have equipment which has been stranded at HKT hoping for a flight out tonight seems optimistic? Maybe they will start with their normal schedule tomorrow? Maybe try a web check-in to see the status of your flight.

Caveat: FD seems stingy with real-time flight information so it is sometimes challenging to accurately determine what flights are actually operating.

FD Departures BKK

Edited by lomatopo