Marriage To A Ladyboy

Svenn

I've had a girlfriend for a few years who recently revealed to me her former status (classified as male at birth). Ignoring the details of that (see my other topic), I was wondering if it was ever possible to marry her, what the best way to do that is. I'm American, can she get a fiance visa to go marry me in California? or do I have to be a resident of California? What about Canada? Would it be possible for her to get a tourist visa to Canada and we could get married there? Maybe she should focus her energies instead on changing her documents so it no longer says male?...

I searched for previous topics covering this, but couldn't find any. If this is old hat on your forum.. apologies, could someone post a link to a former topic that dealt with it?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm in the same situation. I have a Thai lb girlfriend and we think of getting married. We can get same-sex-marriage in my country in Europe, but will the Thai government acknowledge that as we would also like to be able to living together in Thailand?

Thanks!

H

Thailand does not recognize same sex marriage

If you want to stay in Thailand you will have to have a visa and permit of stay independently of your relationship with your partner

• 3 years later...

While both Thailand and the US looks down upon any form of homosexual marriage, can with the intentions of marriage to a ladyboy have repercussions when they visit the the US under the slightly false pretense of a tourist visa and get married anyway in an applicable state that allows such? Foreign spouse sponsorship is not currently allowed in the US for gay couples, but gay marriage is allowed in certain states. Under said loophole, what are the repercussions for the US citizen or Thai national in the long run?

Old thread, but deserved a bump.

Edited by CoconutMayhem

In theory, states with marriage laws *should* (as with Canada) apply a 'gender blind' approach to applications.

In practice, it remains to be seen. However, as one test case, a non-citizen member of a gay couple in the marriage queue in NY has had his visa status extended as a result of the marriage issue, where otherwise he would have been forced to leave the country. I will try to locate that link for you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...