State Of Emergency Announced In Bangkok

george

I found this from Asia Times, one of Manager Groups Websites.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/ID27Ae01.html

And if anyone can prove it is a spoof, I please ask the mods to remove it.

Recollections, revelations of a protest leader

By Shawn W Crispin

An interview given by Sondhi.

I don't want to copy it all because there are many references to a very respected man.

Enlightning Thai At Heart - Thanks.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll take a bad government over anarchy any day. :o

You think if Samak steps down, it will be anarchy and no central gov't will be formed? :D:D For real? :D

PAD can't even think that far into the future. All they know is that they don't want the current government. It's a recipe for serial anarchy, interspersed by besieged governments. But for Samak's State of Emergency decree today, that's exactly what Thailand faces.

To overturn governments by force rather than by law is a serious habit this country needs to break.

Edited by toptuan

How many time are they allowed to use the lengthy judicial loop that takes forever to deal with this mafia syndicate disguised as a political party?

As many times as PAD avoids registering as a political party so they can totally avoid ANY 'lengthy judicial loop'.

:D

Is it against the law not to form a political party?

What about the DAAD? :D

Nonsense.

You consider PAD and DAAD deliberately structuring themselves to able to work outside the laws that apply to political parties as nonsense? So it may not be illegal but it is morally irresponsible to set yourself up as the privately bankrolled 'enforcer' of your weak-willed political parties.

Problem is what is highlighted in red is what we saw TRT-PPP doing all along, working outside the laws all along from day 1 with Thaksin making an honest mistake with his assets declaration and buying his way out of it right until last night's GOVT./DAAD/POLICE in cahoots. :(

Working outside the law to get to the outlaws is not a new concept.

Ask Thaksin's about his "iron fist in a velvet glove" drug war and the thousands killed without trial. :o

If you are all so enthusiastic about your latest discovery with that Sondhi article from 2007, you'll surely enjoy this jewel with Thaksin. :D

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle3004757.ece

“If you want to be a good leader,” Thaksin once said, “you have to be a master at storytelling.” :D

How many time are they allowed to use the lengthy judicial loop that takes forever to deal with this mafia syndicate disguised as a political party?

As many times as PAD avoids registering as a political party so they can totally avoid ANY 'lengthy judicial loop'.

:o

Nonsense.

Ditto!

Mods, how come some of Joe's posts are blocked while others are not? I want them all blocked.

If you've put someone on ignore, you shouldn't see their original post. But if someone else has quoted that post as a part of their own post, it will show up.

I thought you had JoeInSurin blocked, not ubonjoe ?

My mistake, JoeinSurin, Ubonjoe and another Joe?

Apologies to Ubonjoe

Goodbye JoeinSurin.

...Many tv channels just deliver half of the news to support the protestors. NBT is telling all truths so they were the first to be attacked last week.... we'll throw stones to them. ....

some tv channels tell your truth others tell other truth. never believe any but build your opinion by watching several. thailand has more truths available than some farang can dream about. your democratic understanding sounds pretty poor, when you defend corrupt governments, but wanna 'throw stones' at legal strikers for a few drops of water. think twice! if you are more interested in water than in thailands fate & future you could apply as a strikebreaker, blackleg, fink, scab.......

Surathin Phimarnmekhin

This guy could have some explaining. He had his head wounds treated from the clash. It was claimed that a PPP MP was leading the UDD gang and a different one to the one that ordered them off at Sanam Luang. Allegedly of course;) How they managed to get so many km without police intervention when they had police all along the way is a nother unanswered question. Still I am sure the UDD are only defending democracy :o

Mods, how come some of Joe's posts are blocked while others are not? I want them all blocked.

If you've put someone on ignore, you shouldn't see their original post. But if someone else has quoted that post as a part of their own post, it will show up.

I thought you had JoeInSurin blocked, not ubonjoe ?

My mistake, JoeinSurin, Ubonjoe and another Joe?

Apologies to Ubonjoe

Goodbye JoeinSurin.

Accepted

This is really bad for the tourism , over here in Scandinavia its headline news on all the tv stations .

And even if its no danger to travel , this kind of news will make people here think twice about going to Thailand.

Especially families with kids , high season starts in 3 months so if this goes on I'm sure Thailand will suffer a lot....

Lets hope it will get back to normal soon.

Look at the bright side, it may save a few lives on the roads or keep them away from yet another strange murder plot, maybe save a few jumpers, prevent a few rapes and policemen ripping off tourists or intentionally botching their murder investigations once they've been sent back to their respective countries in a body bag.

Tourism is not what Thailand needs right now.

A very inappropriate post is all I have to say.

With the constant state of denial you live in, I can't see why you'd agree with it. :o

Concentrate more on NBT instead of me.

Why did you block my posts?

Is it because I asked for a source for one of your posts that looked like a news post.

Or because you disagree with my opinions.

Either one seems a bit ******** to me.

Wrong Joe, I sincerely apologize.

You were not blocked.

My earlier mention of a DAAD venturing onto PAd turf, captured and searched for weapons, they found his DAAD paysheet in a pocket.

The camera showed the whole thing, his capture etc.. Paysheet showed he was receiving 500 baht for something and 700 more for something else. 1200 baht and some free booze to go and kill if you feel like going that far... The DAAD guy also confessed he had not received his payment yet, only holding 60 baht and that many in the group had been fooled into going to a celebrity's funeral in Bangkok.

I don't make this sh!t up, neither did PAD it was live and then shown over and over again.

If some of you can't watch ASTV, that's your problem for not getting both extremes of the media, footage NBT will NEVER show you.

I'll be more than glad to provide a link if I get my hands on one.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Well, I think the LOL could easily be reflected back to you. I mean IF you really believe that people like Sondhi want what you just described above, then you must be a bit naive to say the least.

He doesn't really want a fair and transparent election, and he certainly doesn't want to end corruption, he would be one of the first to pay the price, if they achieved just that.

You do know why he became anti Thaksin don't you ? Not because of his apparent corruption, but because a deal they made togehter turned sour.

Some freedomfighter.

I'm well aware of Sondhi's past. But that doesn't illegitimize anything he's been saying about TRT and PPP. You have to look at the facts themselves. Look at what Thanksin/TRT/PPP have done. Even if this gov't is thrown out, it doesn't mean that Sondhi will become the next PM or the most powerful man in Thailand. We all just want a change in our system and wanna see fair and transparent elections to ensure the better future of the country. The same old crap in Thai democracy where corruption is accepted and ignored has gotta end. We are NOT supporting PAD because of Sondhi. We are supporting their cause because this corrupt gov't is just too much to bear. We want a change. Nothing to do with Sondhi.

I hear you ThNiner but, due to PR stunts like 30 Baht welfare for all and grants to small villages throughout the Kingdom and so on, the average poor, hand-to-mouth farmer upcountry loves TRT and it's nemesis Samak, these are the voters in this 'sort of' democracy--bribed albeit--it's only the intelligentia and upper classes who can see through this scam--beware the poor, illiterate farmers will not stand for your reforms--they are/were happy [ in a sort of way] with the status quo.

Unlike you I am not Thai and have no right to comment--just airing my opinion--Kor Tod.

Just to clarify the english usage: PAD is th TRT / PPP / Samak nemesis, Samak is PPP's figurehead.

Some of ~TRT's initiatives WERE usefull, no denieing that.

BUT while doing that 10's of millions baht slight of hand with the left,

they were pulling 100's of millions into their pockets with the right,

between waving the flag and sueing ALL detractors with billion baht

lawsuits to shut them up.

Up country is only NOW hearing of these fandangles.

How many in Issan have heard of the Thai government Import Export bank

being point blank ordered by Dr. T. to go against their co-banks

and Moodey's international ratings recommendations

to loan 4 BILLION Baht to Myanmars generals for telecom installations.

And who was SELLING these installations in a no bid done deal manner,

why Shin Sat and Shin Computer.

The companies the Shinawatra's 'didn't own'... because the maid,

and the brother in law, and the secratary, and the kids, and some

off shore holding companies were nominies for them

even though Thaksin and Potjammen controled the bundle.

So when it came time to sell to Temasak who was in charge> Dr. T.

Potjamen HAS been convicted in this shares hiding scheme,

for purposely neglecting the taxes in the whole transaction.

Do you think think the average cow walker in Issan with all the

native intellegence of a nice person, is prepared to deal with

unraveling machinations of this magnatude.? I doubt it.

Most people have trouble with it all. But the facts are public,

and the laws are clear, it hasn't had time to get through the courts yet.

So it is quite logical that the middle class and educated will

catch on to Dr T's games well before the back country electorate.

Especially so, if that electorate is purposely prevented from

hearing ANYTHING about it. Such as by beatings for ANY PAD

speakers that went north to talk. And control of local radio.

How can they ever understand the got taken in.

Representative democracy at work... SURE!

Minus the part about an informed electorate.

And a free press and infromation channels.

Temasak - Managing Director - Former Head of Siam Cement

Siam Commercial Bank - Adviser for the deal

The stock market is preparing plans to stop trading if it collapses - well that announcement shoudl help and the government have handed over control of the economy to their advisers. It sounds like there is nobody at the helm. And amazingly (not) the Dems claim last nights violence was possibly sparked by government side who wanted an SoE. Well ask any journo off the record on that one.

All from TOC

:D

Nonsense.

You consider PAD and DAAD deliberately structuring themselves to able to work outside the laws that apply to political parties as nonsense? So it may not be illegal but it is morally irresponsible to set yourself up as the privately bankrolled 'enforcer' of your weak-willed political parties.

Problem is what is highlighted in red is what we saw TRT-PPP doing all along, working outside the laws all along from day 1 with Thaksin making an honest mistake with his assets declaration and buying his way out of it right until last night's GOVT./DAAD/POLICE in cahoots. :(

Working outside the law to get to the outlaws is not a new concept.

Ask Thaksin's about his "iron fist in a velvet glove" drug war and the thousands killed without trial. :o

If you are all so enthusiastic about your latest discovery with that Sondhi article from 2007, you'll surely enjoy this jewel with Thaksin. :D

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle3004757.ece

“If you want to be a good leader,” Thaksin once said, “you have to be a master at storytelling.” :D

"Why is it important for a politician/PM to be tall. Most of the deals are under the table" - Banharn

PPP won majority of the votes. The Democratic Party did not. The PAD is not a political party but a Pitbull of the Democratic Party...

and who's pitbull are you? the ppp won the rat race: "who can buy more votes". you can win a rat race, but you are still a rat. i just looked at your motto and i understand! you surely translate the lies of ppp!! khao djai puean dii

FYI - There were 7-10 truckloads of Police/SWAT reinforcements on the Motorway enroute to Bangkok at about 630pm today. I'm afraid they are going to need a lot more than that to control such a huge crowd if things get violent. :o How strong is the current police/military presence in the protest zone?

I was refering to the comment about Cambodia.

Yeah I bet you do, another nice one that was a little bit PAD related don't you think. Of course to go further into that would be OT.

Beleive in me I am no supporter for PAD nor the PPP. If I had my way, I would ban the whole lot from politics/pressure group as they all hold criminal/ corruption records. Problem is I have no idea who could replace them!

Abhisit man, Abhisit.

Did he visit Isaan once during the last election?

You will recall (maybe not) when the Democrats tried to campaign in the northeast, they were physically attacked. I guess they didn't pay as much as the other guys.

Well he got as far as Saraburi and then miraculously had not one but 2 car accidents on the way back. So it was reported. I didn't believe it for a second, but the whole bad luck thing and superstition about the car accidents made a lot of people believe he was never going to win.

I genuinely like the guy and know some people who went to school with him. However, after banning all the TRT guys, and getting a constitution handed to him on a plate, and a vote under military rule he still couldn't win. He has absolutely no track record, and even less vision. People laughed at Thaksin running around Isaan showering in temples with his Louis Vuitton towels, but at least he did it.

PM vows full investigation into fatal clashes

Same kind of investigation thrown by the police with ALL of the Bangkok bombings of the last few years where NOTHING was conveniently concluded. :o Right in the peoples faces. :D

Same as his statement of clearing up in the next few days what he has been unable to even compromiose on in the last 4 months .

Yeah I bet you do, another nice one that was a little bit PAD related don't you think. Of course to go further into that would be OT.

Beleive in me I am no supporter for PAD nor the PPP. If I had my way, I would ban the whole lot from politics/pressure group as they all hold criminal/ corruption records. Problem is I have no idea who could replace them!

Abhisit man, Abhisit.

You will recall (maybe not) when the Democrats tried to campaign in the northeast, they were physically attacked. I guess they didn't pay as much as the other guys.

They are hated in the northeast because of the perceived belief here of their involvment in the coup.

If the democrat party were to be put in place as the next goverment you might see things get even worse.

So any democrat is unacceptable.

There was an interview with Samak on CNN about an hour ago.

The good cook was his usual self raising his voice at young reporter, telling him not to ever use words like strings and puppet masters 'cos he feels insulted.

What an abominable character.

>>>

House dissolution and fresh elections is the best way out form the point of view of preserving "democracy" and the rule of law.

After all, PPP run on Thaksin's coat tails, now the man is gone and so is their main electoral point. Back in December many people wanted Thaksin back, now it's impossible. Let's see what people think now.

From PAD's point of view, unless the system is changed, or at least commited to changing, there's no point in running these meaningless elections. In one interview Sondhi proposed an interim non-MP primeminister and a constitution rewrite. The main problem that current constitution doesn't allow for outside government.

>>

To expand on my earlier post - why do we really need local MPs in national parlament? Why not leave it to parties to fill it with party list candidates? Why mix national and local politics together? Local MPs are largely apolitical anyway, they don't adhere to any particular ideology, and they are not doing anything in Bangkok for their communities anyway.

Constituency based MPs can run in local elections, and central government by law should transfer a large chunk of national budget to these local government organisations (Thaksin put 20% of country's budget into his own, off books, "special fund" instead of increasing capacities and independence of local governments).

The upside is that big parties would not need to bribe local MPs and instead concentrate on their own political brands and ideologies, and local candidates will not rely on generous backing of large parties but rather on their own, local resources. Wouldn't it be fair? No big party can come in and install their preferred candidate simply because they have more money to run a campaign and then use this irrelevant victory to push its otherwise weak national agenda.

Don't forget that there's still a Senate which can represent local communities. It's not the government, it has no access to funds, no incentivez to steal, and it's meant to be apolitical, representing the people, not parties.

Bangkok Post -

Foreign reaction: Travel bans, tourist fears

Here are some of the developments, closures and cancellations in the first hours on Tuesday after the imposition of emergency rule:

- Singapore and South Korea advised their citizens yesterday against non-essential travel to Thailand, raising concerns about further damage to the tourism economy. Australia and New Zealand, on the other hand, advised their citizens to "exercise a high degree of caution" if travelling to Thailand.

- The ratings agencies Standard & Poor's and Moody's Investors Service both issued statements warning that rising political tension could undermine Thailand's current investment-grade credit ratings.

- Two companies _ the mobile phone retailer Jay Mart and the building materials distributor Siam Global House _ said they would delay plans to list on the Stock Exchange of Thailand this year due to political uncertainties and market volatility.

- Local banks, including Bangkok Bank, Krung Thai Bank and Siam Commercial Bank, closed more than 20 branches in Bangkok around Ratchadamnoen Road for fear of violence in the area.

- ITU Telecom Asia 2008 was going ahead in Bangkok yesterday with no cancellations by the 179 exhibitors. "It's business as usual. Our business forums are fully attended by business executives and interested visitors," said Sanjay Acharya, chief of media relations of the International Telecommunications Union.

The four-day regional event is being held until Friday at Impact, Muang Thong Thani.

Mr Acharya said the telecom industry was beyond politics as the event was ultimately aimed at showcasing and promoting new technology.

But sources said there were few exhibitors from overseas except from NHK of Japan and a telecom operator from Russia. The atmosphere yesterday was quiet with few visitors.

The ICT had earlier targeted 20,000 visitors and three billion baht worth of business deals from the event.

- The Bank of Thailand said it had intervened in the foreign-exchange market to support the baht after the government declared emergency rule in the capital.

"The announcement [by Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej] has caused the baht to weaken and be volatile, so we had to step in and support the baht this morning," said deputy governor Atchana Waiquamdee.

The baht fell to 34.47 against the dollar in morning trade, from 34.32 on Monday.

- Thai Airways International, Thai AirAsia and Nok Air cancelled some flights out of Hat Yai where 500 protesters forced the airport to close again.

THAI cancelled two flights from Bangkok and Hat Yai due to the Hat Yai airport shutdown. The cancellations affected about 750 passengers, who were given refunds or allowed to change flights.

- International airlines operating through Suvarnabhumi Airport reported no cancellations or reductions, and normal passenger traffic flows. Security measures were upgraded. No sign of trouble was seen.

- Flight operations through Phuket and Krabi airports remained normal. Thai Airways flights were still operating according to schedules, no forced delays as threatened by TG union members.

- The German Embassy has called off a scheduled Sept 12 press conference on the visit to Thailand of Roland Koch, the Minister-President of Hessen state.

I am not an English subject, but it would appear that the Government in England does this very thing. You have the House of Lords....that are inherited, or appointed
They are no longer inherited but are appointed by the democratically elected parliament.

Not by the military. And the UK has been trying to reform the House of Lords for decades in order to improve its democratic value, they are even considering public referendum on how to do it. That is how democracy works you see, the people all get an equal vote and a chance to use it.

house of lords sounds 'noble' so you need to be a lord to be 'democratically' elected? explain please......? the thai people need to know, coz they are also trying for decades.....................'electing' corrupt crooks does not seem to be more noble than 'assigning' decent people.

Abhisit man, Abhisit.

They are hated in the northeast because of the perceived belief here of their involvment in the coup.

If the democrat party were to be put in place as the next goverment you might see things get even worse.

So any democrat is unacceptable.

On one hand, you are probably right. On the other hand, it seems that the northeast keeps voting in crooks. First Thaksin and we don't need to go over this again, and now the PPP. The northeast's voting record in the past few years has been anything but stellar.

By Shawn W Crispin

I don't want to copy it all because there are many references to a very respected man.

Asia Times (founded by Sondhi) went bankrupt in 1997 but continued with some former paper's staff as an online edition and it's hardly an independent news agency/publisher and it's doubtful if Mr. Shawn W Crispin can be considered completely independent as well... :o

So: not only the article is more than a year old it's also a PRO Sondhi colored article.

LaoPo

By Shawn W Crispin

Enlightning Thai At Heart - Thanks.

Yes interesting reading.

It filled in a few gaps. No Spoof.

Nothing seems out of place,

just some interesting details of the last year or so.

Bound to piss off several here,

no doubt, without a doubt , doubtless.

Would someone be kind enough to explain what the restriction on gatherings of 5+ people means in respect to the entertainment zones? Does this mean that venues such as bars or clubs must close? Restaurants? Technically, a birthday celebration would land afoul of the rule.
No. You can still go out and get pissed up with your mates on Bangla tonight.

and grandpa, please do it, please please.....

Abhisit man, Abhisit.

Well he got as far as Saraburi and then miraculously had not one but 2 car accidents on the way back. So it was reported. I didn't believe it for a second, but the whole bad luck thing and superstition about the car accidents made a lot of people believe he was never going to win.

I genuinely like the guy and know some people who went to school with him. However, after banning all the TRT guys, and getting a constitution handed to him on a plate, and a vote under military rule he still couldn't win. He has absolutely no track record, and even less vision. People laughed at Thaksin running around Isaan showering in temples with his Louis Vuitton towels, but at least he did it.

If the requirement is simply to show up regardless of the illegal activities you indulge in, then what more can I say?

The main problem [is] that [the] current constitution doesn't allow for [an] outside government.
[sic]

Duh! :o

What constitution envisions a government outside itself? I think you're asking for the moon (and won't even get an asteroid).

Edited by toptuan