george

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The question is what's next.

IMO, the only way out of this mess is to dissolve parliment (with the help of the EC) and start the process over again.

Perhaps having both the dems and ppp red-carded will be a good thing to get everyone to back down.

PAD can say they won.

The PM saves face because he wasn't overthrown by the military.

We have new elections in October.

The advertising companies are happy again.

Then repeat this process in 18 months time. :o

Not sure that the General should be acclaimed as a possible new leader of the country !

When it comes to managing the economy, & making sure the dustbins are collected, .....soldiers are about as useful at governing as "CEO-style" leaders.

Countries don't run like either regiments or corporations.

if he is at the economic as useful as the "CEO-style" than let him do the job, because I think in all other issues he'll do better than Samak.

Thailand's Baht, Stocks Slump as Samak Declares Emergency

Sept. 2 (Bloomberg) -- Thailand's baht fell to the lowest level in more than a year and stocks dropped to a 19-month low after Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej declared a state of emergency. Investors sought the safety of government bonds.

The currency extended last month's 2.1 percent decline after clashes in Bangkok between thousands of pro- and anti-government protesters left one dead and 43 injured. The People's Alliance for Democracy, a group seeking Samak's resignation, has occupied Government House, where the prime minister's office is located, since Aug. 26.

``This is not helping the Thai baht,'' said Thomas Harr, a senior currency strategist at Standard Chartered Plc in Singapore. ``We are short the Thai baht. We expect the central bank to limit the volatility today in this type of event. Dissolution of the Thai parliament is the most likely scenario.''

The benchmark SET Index fell 1.8 percent to 662.77 as of 11:28 a.m. local time, headed for its lowest close since Feb. 1, 2007. The baht fell 0.4 percent to 34.45 against the dollar in Bangkok, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

The Pound and the euro fell more against the dollar than the THB did. Nothing to do with emergency degree. The THB is expected to fall against the dollar to 35 or even 39 for a dollar long before all this started

Popularist policies that pave the way for a corrupt govt to take power and change laws to their own benefit are as bad as vote buying.

Popularist policies that allow a good leader to take power and run an efficient and progressive govt that provides for all it's people equitably area the conerstone of democratic elections.

PPP fall into the former camp so they do not deserve to have any sympathy for the mess that they are in now. Not to mention that they bought votes as well.

Thais deserve better leadership. Currently they have to put up with a recurrent cycle of abuse. The abusers should be made to account for their actions. The PAD is attempting to make them accountable.

Not sure that the General should be acclaimed as a possible new leader of the country !

When it comes to managing the economy, & making sure the dustbins are collected, .....soldiers are about as useful at governing as "CEO-style" leaders.

Countries don't run like either regiments or corporations.

if he is at the economic as useful as the "CEO-style" than let him do the job, because I think in all other issues he'll do better than Samak.

Soldiers don't know much about the economic engines that drive growth, though they are strong in other areas.

Not just Thai soldiers. John McCain too. People I know who have discussed finance with him, say that it is his weakness.

Watching the live news conference from the Supreme Command, I am developing a healthy respect for Gen. Anupong. He is very calm and collected and patient, answers some tough questions, many repeated questions as well - without batting an eye.

He has repeated that he will stand with the people, and that he has no desire to take sides, and that there were no plans to call in military reinforcements.

edit-> brilliant... asked by a Thai reporter to explain in English, he calmly apologized and said that he did not want to be misinterpreted, and asked the reporter to kindly translate his earlier remarks - then a foreign reporter asked him a question in English, and he answered - again without batting an eye. His English is actually not bad at all.

I agree that he is making a good showing and i am also impressed, but they really should not be asking him questions in English at a Thai press conference. Although his English skills seem to be quite good.

Cheers, Rick

It could be interpreted as meaning the electorate of Thailand.

Just a thought not an opinion.

Popularist policies that pave the way for a corrupt govt to take power and change laws to their own benefit are as bad as vote buying.

Popularist policies that allow a good leader to take power and run an efficient and progressive govt that provides for all it's people equitably area the conerstone of democratic elections.

PPP fall into the former camp so they do not deserve to have any sympathy for the mess that they are in now. Not to mention that they bought votes as well.

Thais deserve better leadership. Currently they have to put up with a recurrent cycle of abuse. The abusers should be made to account for their actions. The PAD is attempting to make them accountable.

The PAD is riding roughshod through democracy with a semi-known/publicised agenda. Why should anyone listen to such a small minority? They have support but so does the monster raving looney party.

Lest we forget the PPP is scheduled for censure by the courts who published their judgement today.

Thais deserve better leadership.

No they don't. This is what they have chosen out of free will. This is the 21st century, and nobody can claim that did not know better, not even in this country.

If you fall for vote buying, corruption and populist politics, you sure must realize that the little money you got will have to be re-paid manifold to those finally in power.

Thailand got what it wanted. It's called Darwinism and may the weak and gullible be weeded out [edit: in a literal sense, this is not meant as call for violence]!

Edited by jts-khorat

I think the army's hands are tied and at the same time you have the PAD machine which was once expedient but has now become a rather unpredictable amorphous monster.

The army for various reasons does not want to back either side.

I think the hope is that the PAD will get rid of the government and then will simply disappear (poof! waves magic wand). A very optimistic view I think. The question is, what amount of fallout and chaos is going to be allowed in the process.

State of emergency announced in Bangkok

PM to have absolute control; PAD to go on protesting despite state of emergency; more people join protest at Government House, pro-goverment protesters dispersse

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej Tuesday announced the state of emergency in Bangkok following a clash between the pro and anti-government supporters early in the morning.

Reasoning that some groups of people caused disturbances in Bangkok that affect the peace and security, Samak announced the enforcement of the Emergency Decree on Public Administration in Emergency Situations in Bangkok.

The prime minister's order also appointed the army chief to be in charge of enforcing the emergency decree in Bangkok.

Thai PBS said the PM's order would exempt the enforcement paragraph 1 of Article 9 which prohibit people from leaving their houses, meaning peole can still go t work.

The station said the announcement would prohibit gathering of more than five people.

But the state of emerency authorises the authorities to evict people from any place or prohibit them from enteirng a place.

The state of emergency also prohibits news publicity in a way that terrifies the public.

The state of emergency also allows the authorities to detain suspects for seven days and would prohibit people from making illegal entries into government offices.

Pro-government protesters dispersesd soon after learning about the the emerency situation announcement.

But the leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy said the protest would continue at Government House.

Thai PBS reporter reported from the scene that more people came out to join the rally Tuesday morning.

Democrat Party MP Sathit Wongnongtoey said the state of emergency would allow the prime minister to have absolute control.

Sathit said it seemed that the government foresaw the violence and state of emergency. He said the prime minster and People Power MPs indicated the violence would take place when they spoke during a debate on the political crisis Sunday night.

-- The Nation 2008-08-02

My view is that the only possible satisfactory solution is for the man at the top to effectively remove the present government in its entirety. The situation with the country at this time is that the government has effectively lost control completely, except for using force to quell unrest, but is not able to govern in the true sense of normality. Thailand has a history of similar struggles and will probably continue to have unless the root cause of the problem is addressed. Thailand is not now, nor ever has been, in my opinion, a true democracy, since the norm is to use money to buy votes, a situation that would not be accepted in any real democracy. The net result is that there is always a number of disenchanted population who see the corruption that goes on and at some stage rebel against it, or at least use that as an excuse to rebel. If this current situation continues and eventually the goals are achieved, at huge cost to the Kingdom, of successfully removing the current 'elected' prime minister, all that will happen is that a replacement of similar ilk will take his place until history repeats again.

A possible solution is for the government to be disbanded and the country temporarily held in abeyance for a time whilst a new, and internationally monitored, election takes place that is not corrupted with money or threats or false promises.

Thailand is unique in that the country has a leader that is nationally loved, adored and respected, and undoubtedly will have to step in at some stage anyway, as has happened before. This would allow a trusted and capable caretaker committee to take over for the interim with little loss since the 'elected' government has achieved little in the time that they have been in power anyway. Such a committee must be comprised of persons loyal to Thailand, rather than to their pocket, and organise the a fair and proper election that can be seen as a true representation of the decision of the people.

I am sure that it would not be as simple or straight forward as I have illustrated, however if all were to be done properly then there would be little excuse for any further instability.

I haven't read though the entire thread, but didn't the people of Thailand elect the PPP as their government with a majority and more than any other party? If so, why is a minority protesting? Let's face the truth here for a second, the majority of Thais have voted for the PPP. Why is their choice not being respected? And occupying government buildings and TV stations and threatening to cut off electricity and water supplies is hardly democracy, but anarchy.

A possible solution is for the government to be disbanded and the country temporarily held in abeyance for a time whilst a new, and internationally monitored, election takes place that is not corrupted with money or threats or false promises.

Thailand is unique in that the country has a leader that is nationally loved, adored and respected, and undoubtedly will have to step in at some stage anyway, as has happened before. This would allow a trusted and capable caretaker committee to take over for the interim with little loss since the 'elected' government has achieved little in the time that they have been in power anyway. Such a committee must be comprised of persons loyal to Thailand, rather than to their pocket, and organise the a fair and proper election that can be seen as a true representation of the decision of the people.

I am sure that it would not be as simple or straight forward as I have illustrated, however if all were to be done properly then there would be little excuse for any further instability.

The devil is in the detail, is it not?

If it would have been done properly the last election around, this mess would not have happened. TiT.

I haven't read though the entire thread, but didn't the people of Thailand elect the PPP as their government with a majority and more than any other party? If so, why is a minority protesting? Let's face the truth here for a second, the majority of Thais have voted for the PPP. Why is their choice not being respected? And occupying government buildings and TV stations and threatening to cut off electricity and water supplies is hardly democracy, but anarchy.

Read the topic regarding the EC and the PPP for a hint.

I know. The vote buying allegations. As far as I can remember however, the same number of PPP members were convicted of vote buying as the other parties. All the parties in the elections used vote buying, everyone knows that.

because there was massive vote buying, so even the EC decided today to disband the PPP.

Means it was not democratic elected.

I know. The vote buying allegations. As far as I can remember however, the same number of PPP members were convicted of vote buying as the other parties. All the parties in the elections used vote buying, everyone knows that.

the fact that everyone knows that does not make it legal...From whichever side it has been done !

no there were just minor cases at the Democrats, while basically at every place there was massive vote buying by PPP.

Still if you count the numbers the Democrats did not get much less votes than the PPP (but much less seats). In many places a slight shift of numbers would have caused the Democrates stronger than PPP.

As well several other parties went in the election with the promise not to work together with PPP but changed side as soon as money came. So a 100 % turn against the voters will.

So what's going to prevent the opposition or any other party of conducting vote buying in the next election? Unless the economy in Thailand significantly improves and poverty is reduced, there will always be vote buying in Thailand in every election.

Elections -> Vote Buying Allegations -> Coup -> Elections -> Vote Buying Allegations -> Revolution -> lections -> Vote Buying Allegations -> Coup -> Elections -> Vote Buying Allegations -> .....

You get it. So we may as well forget about elections and introduce either absolute monarchy or absolute anarchy, because it will never stop.

The Thai electorate is changing. There are many thai’s out there that will not tolerate corruption and cronyism in their government. Unfortunately many thai politicians do not realize this, after all they get elected even when people know that this is what they are like., look at yongyuth the refrigerator.

The problem that has faced the last two elected governments in Thailand is that this minority is vocal and prepared to do what is necessary to bring down a government they see as corrupt.

What is needed is a new generation of politicians that realize that politics in Thailand is no longer the easy path to unearned riches it has been in the past. And it does look like the courts are going work their way though Thailand’s politicians until they have a set who are less obviously corrupt.

The current electoral system does not help. The costs of an election campaign seem to fall on the individual candidate with little help from their party. At best this encourages the view that becoming elected is a financial investment that requires a financial return and at worst creates politicians who are owned by the people who financed their campaign.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but hasn’t the current prime minister been accused of organizing pro government gangs that beat and killed anti government demonstrators in the 1970’s?

I am a firm supporter of PAD and the protest....

The most peaceful outcome would be for word from on High to come down for Samak to find life elsewhere. I thought it would after his visit to Hua Hin last week.

But that word DIDN'T come. After that meeting, Prime Minister Samak was even more resolute about staying but committed to use restraint in dealing with the pad. Something to consider.

The government is elected by the public. The cabinet is only a few months old. Why pick on these individuals? Just because they are related to the previous government? If that's the case, no amount of election will satisfy the PAD, as long as there is still a single individual related to the previous government that still exist. BTW who is this PAD, who claim to champion for the country and King, why are they not selected to form the government? Just pray all these mess will be over soon, and lets continue to live in peace.

I am a firm supporter of PAD and the protest....

The most peaceful outcome would be for word from on High to come down for Samak to find life elsewhere. I thought it would after his visit to Hua Hin last week.

But that word DIDN'T come. After that meeting, Prime Minister Samak was even more resolute about staying but committed to use restraint in dealing with the pad. Something to consider.

The government is elected by the public. The cabinet is only a few months old. Why pick on these individuals? Just because they are related to the previous government? If that's the case, no amount of election will satisfy the PAD, as long as there is still a single individual related to the previous government that still exist. BTW who is this PAD, who claim to champion for the country and King, why are they not selected to form the government? Just pray all these mess will be over soon, and lets continue to live in peace.

I give it another 18 hours actually.

i am not really a political animal, though for years i have seen the political situatuion in countries such as england and america deteriorate due to the one person one vote rule. the reason for this is very clear, education, a large majority nwadays will vote for a party because they either like him or because their parents voted for that party without any idea of policies. i feel the best way to solve this issue is to disband the ppp, hold new elections but let the masses have a drink the day before if they want, this means that the people who are serious about politics and their country will make the effort to vote, someone who has been given 200 baht to vote for someone will either get blind drunk and nbot wake up or not bother anyway and whats wrong with that? if they don't understand party policies why should they vote. also if they turn up at the voting booth they should be asked for 3 policies from 2 or 3 main parties so that they understand who they are voting for and why, if they cant do that then no vote. also if anyone is seen receiving money for their vote the candidate and voter should be banned for life. you will get a much lower turn out but hopefully a much higher percentage of politically educated people.

Clear and very much to the point.

I suppose Kuhn Smak knows this is his last hurrah,

not enough dogs years left for a 4th 16 years cycle,

so it's feather the nest now with a golden retirement parachute

and I suspect it gets bigger the longer he hangs on.

So much for Democracy. I'm getting out of here while the getting is good beforethey shut down the main airport in Bangkok. I certainly don't want to be stuck here during a Revolution should it come to that.

Being selfish, I hope they do, so I have a reason not to go back to work ( and I'm having such a fun time ).

Seriously, it's going to cause a lot of trouble for a lot of people that have nothing to do with any of it. That's what always happens when people stop talking and start fighting.

If gatherings of 5 or more are banned, does that affect the bars???

In case anyone's interested this was the number one news story on the BBC News 24 station in England on the 02:00 news, even before the hurricane news. They did a full run down on the situation including an interview with one of their guys in Bangkok. It lasted about five minutes in total.

I'm afraid CNN has cut half the globe from its beat. And focuses of fluffy distractions in the remainder. Good on the BBC!

With dozens hurt and one dead, this is a serious test of the new constitution.

And a good visual for the impolite mayhem on the streets of the land of smiles.

Long live

King Bumibol Adulyadej

The world doesn't care about Thailand. Further, why should it?

Among other things, CNN is covering another killer hurricane in New Orleans; the quadrennial convention of the Democratic Party and of the Republican Party, respectively.

The Democratic Party has accomplished a historical first: nominating a black American for president.

The Republican Party has done a historical first for itself and a historical second for the nation: selecting a woman candiate for vice president (a second 'Hail Mary' pass) in the upcoming November 4th election

If you're already bored by the relatively tame present events in the United States, do try to think of how unappealing news in the U.S. is concerning Thailand and its hopelessly wild politics and government.

The U.S. Government always has been a strong supporter of HM, and vice-versa.

Edited by Publicus

Let's face it. The PPP, PAD, Democrats or any other political party leaders don't give a poop about the people of Thailand. All that is important to them is to try and hold onto power long enough to make a nice amount of money that allows them to buy a nice Mercedes Benz, a nice house and drink Starbucks Coffee for the rest of their lives without having to worry about anything anymore.

When you become prime minster, your main goal is not to improve the country, but to make as many business deals as possible with the connections that come with the job of prime minster.