State Of Emergency Announced In Bangkok

george

Scarier than Samak, a leader on record as having advocated and condoned violence?

In 1976 as interior minister, Samak used his radio programme to stir up hatred against student demonstrators at Thammasat University, intentionally disobeying the Prime Minister's orders to "stop creating divisiveness." In defending the return of dictator Field Marshal Thanom over the radio, Samak told listeners that students demonstrating against the dictator's return were 'committing suicide'.

Flash forward to the aftermath of the 1991 coup. As Deputy Prime Minister in General Suchinda's junta, Samak justified the military's brutal suppression of pro-democracy demonstrators by declaring that the government had the right to do so as long as the United States could send troops to kill people in other countries.

As for blatant divisive propaganda, this must take the biscuit

http://www.prachatai.com/english/news.php?id=789

During the first 25 days of the rally, the PAD received 26 million baht and paid 24 million, according to the PAD's coordinator Suriyasai Katasila. During the three months, the PAD has sold 90,000 'Patriotic Chinese Descendants' t-shirts for 25 million baht, according to political scientist and Sondhi Limthongkul's close associate Chai-Anan Samudavanija. And after the Government House siege, the PAD has 6.6 million baht remaining in its bank accounts, plus gold worth 1,056,000 baht, according to one of the PAD's leaders, Chamlong Srimuang.

The link you cite does not appear to be the source of the economic info you provide after. Where does this info come from, please? Link?

I have wondered at whether there could be a racial component to the fight between PAD and the government. I'm not quite sure I'm really ready to ask that question, but the idea of 90,000 'Patriotic Chinese Descendants' T-shirts sold makes me wonder all the more...

2. The PAD’s marathon rally seems to be the world’s first demonstration that has been broadcast live through satellite TV, radio and internet, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, for 100 days. That creates a grotesque mix of a reality show and a political campaign, and widens the contemporary western-style ‘audience democracy’, in which people are mostly viewers who vote for professional politicians’ performances through rating polls, to include ‘off the protest site’ virtual participation via tuning to the Manager Group’s FM 97.75 or ASTV.

But, on the other hand, that should make the PAD’s rally the world’s most expensive. 500,000-1,000,000 baht a day are being paid for the rent of the stage and PA system, gasoline for generators, food and allowances for staff, speakers and artists, and salaries and expenses of live broadcasting, while donations and income from selling t-shirts and merchandise are 300,000-1,000,000 baht a day.

With only one day’s budget of the PAD, normal protests by other people or even the pro-government United Front of Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) would last a week.

The PAD-style rally needs huge financial resources, and the fact indicates the social and economic status of its support base.

Well the food is basically free as it comes from Chamlong. A lot of the TShirts are sold from private people. Most artists make it for free, But the TV coverage and the Satellite slot must cost a lot.

But if you look at DAAD: 5000 people at 500 Baht a day is 2.5 Million a day without the buses, food alcohol, stage, so with less people more expensive.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

since yesterday it is so silent...no word from our dearest leader or the army.

Is everyone tired or is something fishy going on?

Something fishy is always going on. TIT

Sorry, I should have written the long version (This Is Thailand), im not trying to call you names, just in case you are not familiar with the abbreviation ;-)

I know but this time it makes me worry....

I hear ya. I think something is brewing, too. (and it's not good beer)

PAD now rearmed with rotting fish declare a new tactic of mass food poisoning leading to uncontrollable outbursts of dioreeha verbally and otherwise

In a move to bring some understanding to the situation the Dead Fish society of Thailand has decided to hold a recital of George W Bush speeches to show that the world is full of verbal diareeha and its not just a local issue

That may explain why Bush spoke about Susanne Sushi, that famous fish in Birma.

Prasobsuk begins mediation task

(BangkokPost.com) - Senate speaker Prasobsuk Boondej, who is assigned by the upper and lower houses and the opposition party as a mediator between the government and the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), said he would have the answer in a day or two which groups would negotiate with him.

Mr Prasobsuk, speaking a day after he is tasked with the job, said he has began working on this matter but denied to go into detail.

However, the PAD said earlier that the group would negotiate only if Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej resigns.

So VERY interesting that HRM Liz's representative publicly seeks out Kuhn Abhist,

for a talk on Parliament's grounds, not his office. No backroom briefing here.

And POINTEDLY not speaking with Kuhn Samak.

Apparently Samak attended a function at the British Embassy the other night at the invitation of the Ambassador - think it involved a visit of Prince Andrew..

So much for that theory..

EDIT: Sorry about double post - server slow.

Ok a formal international Ebassy gathering with a royal in attendenance,

sort of mandatory for the PM.

I'll amend my comment that;

the minister then sought out Abhist

for the other side of the story too.

Edited by animatic

since yesterday it is so silent...no word from our dearest leader or the army.

Is everyone tired or is something fishy going on?

Something fishy is always going on. TIT

Sorry, I should have written the long version (This Is Thailand), im not trying to call you names, just in case you are not familiar with the abbreviation ;-)

I know but this time it makes me worry....

I hear ya. I think something is brewing, too. (and it's not good beer)

good beer is very rare in Thailand, most probably as rare as honest politicians...

Back in Canada, we had good beer, but honest politicians were very rare, too.

My perspective is, that if you belong to a political party, you can only climb the ranks so far, without compromising your values. After that, you either have to tow the line or move on.

Politicians viewed with increasing disdain

By The Nation

Published on September 6, 2008

The political situation is boring, plagued by problems and with no solution in sight. That is the assessment of 60 per cent of the people surveyed across the country by Suan Dusit Poll and released yesterday.

The opinion survey is an attempt to glimpse what people are thinking about the political turmoil. Politicians are viewed by many with disdain and the political profession has received low approval ratings.

About 57 per cent say politicians appear to be obsessed with enriching themselves and are preoccupied with their power and individual interests.

Some 84 per cent say they don't want their offspring to opt for a career in politics. Only 21 per cent still view politicians as professionals devoted to serving the public.

Almost 36 per cent want to see negotiation or compromise as a way out of the political conflict. About 12 per cent see the prime minister's resignation or a House dissolution as a possible solution.

By The Nation

The political situation is boring, plagued by problems and with no solution in sight. That is the assessment of 60 per cent of the people surveyed across the country by Suan Dusit Poll and released yesterday.

The opinion survey is an attempt to glimpse what people are thinking about the political turmoil. Politicians are viewed by many with disdain and the political profession has received low approval ratings.

About 57 per cent say politicians appear to be obsessed with enriching themselves and are preoccupied with their power and individual interests.

Some 84 per cent say they don't want their offspring to opt for a career in politics. Only 21 per cent still view politicians as professionals devoted to serving the public.

Almost 36 per cent want to see negotiation or compromise as a way out of the political conflict. About 12 per cent see the prime minister's resignation or a House dissolution as a possible solution.

57 % is pretty low in most western democracies the 97 % of the population would agree.

By The Nation

57 % is pretty low in most western democracies the 97 % of the population would agree.

Last Paragraph: Only 12% for dissolution or resignation seems pretty low if PAD is getting all the supprt it claims. I wonder what the other 52% had to say?

Edited by ubonjoe

By The Nation

Last Paragraph: Only 12% for dissolution or resignation seems pretty low if PAD is getting all the supprt it claims. I wonder what the other 52% had to say?

You are right 12+36=48, more than half are not mentioned....

Scarier than Samak, a leader on record as having advocated and condoned violence?

In 1976 as interior minister, Samak used his radio programme to stir up hatred against student demonstrators at Thammasat University, intentionally disobeying the Prime Minister's orders to "stop creating divisiveness." In defending the return of dictator Field Marshal Thanom over the radio, Samak told listeners that students demonstrating against the dictator's return were 'committing suicide'.

Flash forward to the aftermath of the 1991 coup. As Deputy Prime Minister in General Suchinda's junta, Samak justified the military's brutal suppression of pro-democracy demonstrators by declaring that the government had the right to do so as long as the United States could send troops to kill people in other countries.

During the first 25 days of the rally, the PAD received 26 million baht and paid 24 million, according to the PAD's coordinator Suriyasai Katasila. During the three months, the PAD has sold 90,000 'Patriotic Chinese Descendants' t-shirts for 25 million baht, according to political scientist and Sondhi Limthongkul's close associate Chai-Anan Samudavanija. And after the Government House siege, the PAD has 6.6 million baht remaining in its bank accounts, plus gold worth 1,056,000 baht, according to one of the PAD's leaders, Chamlong Srimuang.

The link you cite does not appear to be the source of the economic info you provide after. Where does this info come from, please? Link?

I have wondered at whether there could be a racial component to the fight between PAD and the government. I'm not quite sure I'm really ready to ask that question, but the idea of 90,000 'Patriotic Chinese Descendants' T-shirts sold makes me wonder all the more...

2. The PAD’s marathon rally seems to be the world’s first demonstration that has been broadcast live through satellite TV, radio and internet, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, for 100 days. That creates a grotesque mix of a reality show and a political campaign, and widens the contemporary western-style ‘audience democracy’, in which people are mostly viewers who vote for professional politicians’ performances through rating polls, to include ‘off the protest site’ virtual participation via tuning to the Manager Group’s FM 97.75 or ASTV.

But, on the other hand, that should make the PAD’s rally the world’s most expensive. 500,000-1,000,000 baht a day are being paid for the rent of the stage and PA system, gasoline for generators, food and allowances for staff, speakers and artists, and salaries and expenses of live broadcasting, while donations and income from selling t-shirts and merchandise are 300,000-1,000,000 baht a day.

With only one day’s budget of the PAD, normal protests by other people or even the pro-government United Front of Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) would last a week.

The PAD-style rally needs huge financial resources, and the fact indicates the social and economic status of its support base.

Well the food is basically free as it comes from Chamlong. A lot of the TShirts are sold from private people. Most artists make it for free, But the TV coverage and the Satellite slot must cost a lot.

But if you look at DAAD: 5000 people at 500 Baht a day is 2.5 Million a day without the buses, food alcohol, stage, so with less people more expensive.

Nothing is free; at some stage along the line it is going to be an expense for someone.

I don't buy the the pitch that everyone tied to the PAD is so altruistic that this scenario is like an extended "tam boon" session. Even if it was, it is still coming out of someones pocket.

Presumably you have proof that the DAAD are paying protesters, as we have an equal amount of people on here saying the PAD do too. Unless someone has concrete evidence about paying protesters then best not to make accusations, as it just turns into a slinging match.

Personally I think both sides are paying people to protest.

By The Nation

My guess is that the other 52% would have said PAD should pack up and stop making a public nuisance of themselves. But of course the Nation wouldn't print anything like that about PAD.

By The Nation

My guess is that the other 52% would have said PAD should pack up and stop making a public nuisance of themselves. But of course the Nation wouldn't print anything like that about PAD.

Or remove them with force.

PAD vows not to negotiate until PM resigns

BangkokPost.com) - People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) Chamlong Srimuang said the group has not received any contacts from Senate Speaker Prasobsuk Boondej, who is assigned to work as a mediator between the PAD and the government.

None of the five PAD core leaders have been contacted by Mr Prasobsuk, he said,

Maj-Gen Chamlong reiterated the group standpoint that it would not negotiate with anyone unless Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej resigns.

If this objective cannot be accomplished, then a dialogue would not work, he insisted.

Nothing is free; at some stage along the line it is going to be an expense for someone.

I don't buy the the pitch that everyone tied to the PAD is so altruistic that this scenario is like an extended "tam boon" session. Even if it was, it is still coming out of someones pocket.

Presumably you have proof that the DAAD are paying protesters, as we have an equal amount of people on here saying the PAD do too. Unless someone has concrete evidence about paying protesters then best not to make accusations, as it just turns into a slinging match.

Personally I think both sides are paying people to protest.

There are the videos were they hand out the money after they attacked PAD.....

I don't think most Thai's give a hoot if PAD occupies Gov. House.

as long as it doesn't affect their day.

I agree with that statement. I also think that a lot of Thai People might get excited for a while, but then quickly loose interests.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess ;-)

Anyways, nothing new and exciting seems to be happening, so I'm going for breakfast/lunch. (Hmmmm maybe I'm turning into a Thai ;-)

Defiant as they come

It is a long game for both PM Samak and the PAD. Their confrontation is likely to be more intense, with clashes more violent and more blood likely to be drawn. ANALYSIS

Full Story: http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=130445

A game that will most likely end in a stalemate, to be followed by numerous games in the future, which may also end in stalemates. I just hope that not too many pawns get sacrificed in the process.

In the meantime, tourism will suffer greatly. Thailand will be seen as a country that is dangerous, where there is always trouble...Sars, Tsunami, Demostrations, etc. and even though, this is a very narrow way of looking at it, the safe land of Smiles and Peace will quickly be replaced by some other tourist destination (probably more close to home, too, considering the cost of air travel)

The dynamics of Thailand will definitely change. More revenue will come from it's production plants (auto, electronic, etc.) and tourism will become a much smaller part of the Thai economy.

This is probalby the worst time for this to happen, as people are booking their holidays right now, for this coming winter season.

I can't see PAD backing down, so the only solution I can see is for the government to say, they are taking the "High Road", by resigning and calling new elections. (They will probably loose in court anyways and get disolved, resigning now, might give them some support in the future) Not that it will change much in the long run, either way.

The future for Thailand surely looks very bleak through my eyes.

I hope that the king will come out and share some of his wisdom. People will follow what he says and I think right now, he is the only one, who can difuse this situation.

What the rest of the world can read.

Thai protesters enjoy free food, $3 massage

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080905/ap_on_...rpz.T1MuB8Bxg8F

Thai leader refuses to negotiate with protesters

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080905/ap_on_...JBEU0C3XzkBxg8F

Thai PM mulls ending state of emergency

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080905/wl_as...CDY3csQThntOrgF

Thai PM buys time with referendum plan

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080905/wl_nm/...88LKPptYj1m.3QA

Edit: Adding one more

Edited by ubonjoe

(BangkokPost.com) - Anti-government students will meet at Makkhawan Rangsan bridge on Saturday evening before marching to two sites in Bangkok to demand for the resignation of Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej, Young PAD coordinator Wasant Wanich said.

Mr Wanat said the group will march at 7pm to two venues around the Government House. He refused to reveal where they will march to, citing the concern that a third party might try to stage unrest there.

Young PAD comprises of students from 80 academic institutions including Kasetsat University, Chulalongkorn University, Thammasat University and Rangsit University.

I think a recipe for disaster and bloodshed. It is well within their democratic rights to do the march, but I think this is an extremely dangerous move.

(BangkokPost.com) - Anti-government students will meet at Makkhawan Rangsan bridge on Saturday evening before marching to two sites in Bangkok to demand for the resignation of Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej, Young PAD coordinator Wasant Wanich said.

Mr Wanat said the group will march at 7pm to two venues around the Government House. He refused to reveal where they will march to, citing the concern that a third party might try to stage unrest there.

Young PAD comprises of students from 80 academic institutions including Kasetsat University, Chulalongkorn University, Thammasat University and Rangsit University.

I think a recipe for disaster and bloodshed. It is well within their democratic rights to do the march, but I think this is an extremely dangerous move.

Agreed

But under the SOE it's not. Of course how can enforce the SOE on one while PAD is getting away with an occupation instead of a protest.

What the rest of the world can read.

Thai protesters enjoy free food, $3 massage

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080905/ap_on_...rpz.T1MuB8Bxg8F

Thai leader refuses to negotiate with protesters

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080905/ap_on_...JBEU0C3XzkBxg8F

Thai PM mulls ending state of emergency

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080905/wl_as...CDY3csQThntOrgF

Quite informative and for the most part, the reports seem fairly accurate to me.

Agreed

But under the SOE it's not. Of course how can enforce the SOE on one while PAD is getting away with an occupation instead of a protest.

Sorry, you are right, I forgot about the SOE for a second

Agreed

Sorry, you are right, I forgot about the SOE for a second

The only right you have is to hail and bend down to our beloved leader Adolf Samak.

'

Agreed

Agreed. a recipee for disaster for sure.

'We got 5 people in this bunch, 5 over there, we don't know them,

oh there's 5 over there, who are they with?'

Sort of likes DAAD logic, 'We're not a mob.

We're just separately walking the same way to the same place.'

80 universities is not a small figure, even if it is only a handful from each.

And I don't imagine DAAD UDD will think kindly to these young upstarts getting in the mix.

The pictures of DAAD don't show, to my eye, people tolerant of young intellectuals opinions...

Quite informative and for the most part, the reports seem fairly accurate to me.

Here is a statement that I strongly disagree with though, which comes from the last link you just edited in....

[qoute]There has been no major violence in Bangkok since emergency rule was imposed on Tuesday, but the situation remains tense.

What do they call two students getting shot and injured in a motorcycle driveby shooting, which conducting a peaceful protest march? So shooting somebody in a driveby shooting is not major violence. Hmmm...in other words, if someone said at the dinner table "common kids, lets go out and shoot some people" and followed through with it, it would not be considered major violence???? and what would be the consequences of "minor" violence? A ticket, a fine maybe?

I'm being sarcarstic, I know, I'm just trying to make a point about the ongoing reporting and how reporters express themselves...scary to say the least

Most probably the most important news today (and the only one, what a boring day) from the Nation:

Some 100 PAD supporters suffer from Athlete's foot, bacteria infection

Medical volunteers Saturday asked for donations of clothes, underwear and medicine for skin diseases.

The volunteers taking care of protesters at the Government House said some 100 of the demonstrators were suffering from Athlete's foot and other skin diseases caused by wetness and unhygienic clothes.

As a result, hygienic clothes and underwear and medicine could help the protesters get over the skin diseases, the volunteers said.

The Nation

One More This one from Time

The Battle for Thailand

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20080905/wl_t...ttleforthailand

Now the above article, in contrast is a total farce, inaccurate, exaterating and very biased, but considering it's source (Time), not a surprise.

No opinion on article.

Just posting what I find.

The following link is a search on Yahoo news for Thailand. A few clicks will show how much coverage this is getting around the world.

http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news;_...amp;fr=&b=1

Edited by ubonjoe