Election Commission Resolves To Seek PPP's Dissolution

george

This shows that the system in place is working. Samak said he will step down if found guilty in the court system.

And Thaksin said that he was finished with politics. I'd rather trust a bar girl than either of these two.

The old saw applies. You can always tell when a politician is lying. His lips move.

EC resolves to seek PPP's dissolution

BANGKOK: -- The Election Commission Tuesday voted unanimously to seek an order of the Constitution Court to dissolve the People Power Party.

Can't be any clearer than that... :o

hmmm... another blast, but Pua Padin has been formed already, the story will continue unless...as it has been said already, they ALL are send behind bars, where they belong to!

Actually, the Puea Pandin Party is already up for dissolution themselves. It is the Puea Thai Party that is the newest proxy for Thaksin. But your sentiments are completely accurate.

For information and posting of the other parties facing dissolution as well as background on the dissolution of Thai Rak Thai Party, ver. 2.0 PPP and information on Thai Rak Thai Party, ver. 3.0 PTP, please refer to this very related thread...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Election-Com...Th-t179739.html

Election Commission Rules That Chart Thai & Matchima Thipataya Parties Be Dissolved

from which, comes:

offices.jpg

Shinawatra Thai Silk building

-------------------

Puea Thai Party in talks on new home

The Shinawatra Thai Silk building has started clearance sales to make way for the Puea Thai Party, a new political party registered by a group of PPP MPs, who want to move in. The ground floor of the building on Rama IV road, where silk products are sold, will be used as the headquarters of the Puea Thai Party, a back-up for the ruling PPP, said a source. Clearance sales have been started to sell off stock, by September this year. Songkhram Kitlertpairoj, a PPP MP for Samut Prakan and one of the people who registered the party, said negotiations were being held with the building owner over rental fees. Puea Thai Party would not occupy the whole building, he said. The party would rent some parts of the building for its headquarters. The party was set up as PPP members prepare for the expected dissolution of their party. Songkhram refused to confirm that former Permanent Secretary of the Interior Sudjarit Patchimnand would be chosen to lead the party, saying Sudjarit was one of several choices. The new party would hold its general assembly within 1-2 months to elect its executives. Former PPP candidates and former party MPs have applied for party membership. Surawit Khonsomboon, a PPP MP for Chaiyaphum, said several party MPs had visited their constituencies and told local residents that the PPP, if dissolved, already had a new home in the Puea Thai Party. Sakda Khongphet, a PPP MP for Roi Et, said Puea Thai was ready to enter the political race as the Election Commission had already endorsed the party. He said all factions of the PPP, including veteran politician Newin Chidchob's faction, would move to Puea Thai if the PPP was dissolved. ''Thaksin earlier told me the PPP would not survive. However, we are not worried as some phuyai [senior figures] in our party have already prepared the Puea Thai as a new home. Those who see the abbreviations or the logo of the new party will understand that it is Thaksin's party. Thor means Thaksin and Phor means Potjaman [Thaksin's wife],'' said Sakda.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/230808_News/23Aug2008_news003.php

Edited by sriracha john

I'm new to politics in Thailand, and it seems that majority of the posters here are sympathetic towards PAD.

What I don't understand is this: Isn't the current government a democratically elected government ? If it is so, what PAD is doing to overthrow a democratically elected government is itself undemocratic.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Edited by thairookie

So it is now up to the court and that could take some time.

If it ever gets to the court for decision all the PPP will do is change there name, they have already covered this by setting up a new party

This is why individuals should be responsible for thier actions... not the entire party.

Let those guilty of crimes see real jail time... none of this you are found guilty and will have to spend 3 years jail --> then let them walk out of the court room, keep their passports and leave the country to go on vacation.

If found guilty they should be put into custody and they can appeal from there.

Until powerful people in Thailand on both sides see jail time and have to take responsibility for their actions this will continue on both sides.

P.S. - If parties are dissolved it just keep adding to the problem. Constantly dissolving and reforming new political parties is hardly a stable political atmoshpere and does nothing to solve the root problem.

Edited by CWMcMurray

ECC was appointed by the military junta, so we all know where there loyalties lie. :o

For anyone that's spent more than 5 minutes in the News Clipping Forum, they would know that the Election Commission was seated during the Thaksin administration.

It was first posted in 2006 and has been repeated countless times since then whenever the above quoted inaccuracy gets posted from time to time.

Edited by sriracha john

ECC was appointed by the military junta, so we all know where there loyalties lie. :o

For anyone that's spent more than 5 minutes in the News Clipping Forum, they would know that the Election Commission was seated during the Thaksin administration.

It was first posted in 2006 and has been repeated countless times since then whenever the above quoted inaccuracy gets posted from time to time.

Correct. The ECT was established by the 1997 people's constitution and has been active in every election since then.

That myth is repeated along with the presumption that the PPP received a majority of the popular vote in the 2007 election. It didn't, and the current government is a coalition of several parties. The PPP won a majority of MP seats, so got its choice in the premiership. The recent parliamentary debate, organised by the government, suggests that the PPP isn't interested in cooperating as part of the coalition.

And how was he thanked for that ? You give people a job and look what happened ? People are so ungrateful !

And how was he thanked for that ? You give people a job and look what happened ? People are so ungrateful !

Luckily for Thialand, yes they can be.

I'm new to politics in Thailand, and it seems that majority of the posters here are sympathetic towards PAD.

What I don't understand is this: Isn't the current government a democratically elected government ? If it is so, what PAD is doing to overthrow a democratically elected government is itself undemocratic.

No it wasn't that's the big problem. There was massive, for most farangs unbelievable, vote buying. As well the head of village were bought and told terrible stories what would happen if the Democrats win. So you see all the cities, where the people don't believe everything didn't vote PPP. But the villages without newspaper only vote for PPP.

PPP will get dissolved for that, but it will need another 6 month.

You are disturbing (again!) the discussion with facts :D

You should already know, everyone and everything who doubts that Thaksin and Samak are angels sent from God to protect Thailands democracy, are either member of the military junta or from an invisible hand. :D

/sarcasm

Correct. The ECT was established by the 1997 people's constitution and has been active in every election since then.

That myth is repeated along with the presumption that the PPP received a majority of the popular vote in the 2007 election. It didn't, and the current government is a coalition of several parties. The PPP won a majority of MP seats, so got its choice in the premiership. The recent parliamentary debate, organised by the government, suggests that the PPP isn't interested in cooperating as part of the coalition.

Did the PPP win a majority or a plurality? It can make quite a difference.

Edited by who

I find your logic puzzling. The EC members, their backgrounds and how they came to be members must be open to scrutiny. Are you afraid that your entire argument using the EC as some pure apolitical legion of saints EC would then collapse in the event that there was even a hint of bias at the EC?

I find your logic puzzling. The EC members, their backgrounds and how they came to be members must be open to scrutiny. Are you afraid that your entire argument using the EC as some pure apolitical legion of saints EC would then collapse in the event that there was even a hint of bias at the EC?

What's puzzling? I simply corrected a factual inaccuracy.

No it wasn't that's the big problem. There was massive, for most farangs unbelievable, vote buying. As well the head of village were bought and told terrible stories what would happen if the Democrats win. So you see all the cities, where the people don't believe everything didn't vote PPP. But the villages without newspaper only vote for PPP.

That is another ongoing argument on this forum. Whenever the villagers vote, protest or express an opinion, it is said that they are getting money from Thaksin. That is supposed to have been going on since his first landslide victory, back in 2001.

In reality, there is some vote buying in the villages but is it mostly small politicians running for local offices. TRT and PPP vote buying is not as widespread is many people are saying. If there are bribes, people might accept them and then vote for whomever they wanted to in the first place - secret ballot.

The Isaan and northern Thais have voted for TRT and PPP because they believed that their policies were favorable toward their regions. They expect to get benefits such as free health care, village funds, better road and schools, etc., which they would not get from other parties. True or not, that is the perception.

The TRT was dissolved and 111 of their members were banned by the EC and court system. The PPP emerged as allies of the TRT. If the EC is successful in dissolving the PPP, another similar party will emerge and win again. The PAD, besides working to overthrow elected governments is also leading an effort to discontinue the electoral system. So, Thairookie, in answer to your question, It seems to me that what the PAD is doing is undemocratic.

--Donning flame suit--

That is another ongoing argument on this forum. Whenever the villagers vote, protest or express an opinion, it is said that they are getting money from Thaksin. That is supposed to have been going on since his first landslide victory, back in 2001.

In reality, there is some vote buying in the villages but is it mostly small politicians running for local offices. TRT and PPP vote buying is not as widespread is many people are saying. If there are bribes, people might accept them and then vote for whomever they wanted to in the first place - secret ballot.

The Isaan and northern Thais have voted for TRT and PPP because they believed that their policies were favorable toward their regions. They expect to get benefits such as free health care, village funds, better road and schools, etc., which they would not get from other parties. True or not, that is the perception.

The TRT was dissolved and 111 of their members were banned by the EC and court system. The PPP emerged as allies of the TRT. If the EC is successful in dissolving the PPP, another similar party will emerge and win again. The PAD, besides working to overthrow elected governments is also leading an effort to discontinue the electoral system. So, Thairookie, in answer to your question, It seems to me that what the PAD is doing is undemocratic.

--Donning flame suit--

but you know how small the ballot boxes are. PAD even filmed Thaksins wife when voting and you can see clearly that she voted TRT.

Almost everywhere vote buying and checking the people....

Beside that the head of village is telling complete nonsense about evil Democrats as he also received money.

There is no place for vote buying in a democracy. To relativize vote buying with the argument that they would have voted anyway the same is the most silly thing I heard so far. Why would Thaksin spend huge amounts, if they would vote for him anyway?

--Donning flame suit--

but you know how small the ballot boxes are. PAD even filmed Thaksins wife when voting and you can see clearly that she voted TRT.

Beside that the head of village is telling complete nonsense about evil Democrats as he also received money.

There is no place for vote buying in a democracy. To relativize vote buying with the argument that they would have voted anyway the same is the most silly thing I heard so far. Why would Thaksin spend huge amounts, if they would vote for him anyway?

That is one of the most crucial aspects of how elections are manipulated. Plus a few variations on it involving up to and including death threats, which my own wife will attest to, and murder.

Edited to add: Of course little real intimidation needs doing as the locals are fully aware of what goign against the local mighty ones entails. Interstingly in conversation with PPP people they always agree that upcountry the local power networks are far important in winning elections than any policy.

Edited by hammered

--Donning flame suit--

That is one of the most crucial aspects of how elections are manipulated. Plus a few variations on it involving up to and including death threats, which my own wife will attest to, and murder.

Edited to add: Of course little real intimidation needs doing as the locals are fully aware of what goign against the local mighty ones entails. Interstingly in conversation with PPP people they always agree that upcountry the local power networks are far important in winning elections than any policy.

I have heard 100 variations of the same thing...... Buying something on credit, if TRT (version 1 or second editon) wins in this area it does not need to be paid. At the old times many years ago: get one shoe, if the party wins you get the other side. Quasi official announcement that only the villages which vote good get any funds from government. Systems, similar to "direct sales" like "Amway"......

• 2 weeks later...

Office of the Attorney General assures it is drafting case on Chart Thai and Matichima party dissolutions

Spokesman for the Office of the Attorney General Thanapich Mulpruek (ธนพิชญ์ มูลพฤกษ) revealed that Attorney General Chaikasem Nitisiri (ชัยเกษม นิติสิริ) has seen fit to propose the dissolution of the Chart Thai and Matchima Thipathai parties to the Constitution Tribunal as decided by the Election Commission.

Mr. Thanapich stated that the case is currently being drafted with all evidence and witnesses being documented for approval by the Attorney General.

The office's spokesman assured that the EC's threat to use Criminal Law article 157 against the office would be unnecessary as the office is now working on the case and is readying it to be signed by the Attorney General.

He stated that prolonged work on the case is due to the need to be thorough in cataloguing evidence.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 19 September 2008