Immigration

Hi,

I recently went to renew my Retirement visa and i was told that the proof of income paper i had from the Consulate had to be renewed. I had the original paper work from my pension program and the POI paper fron 2005 that i had been using since then. Which i was told by Thai Immigration in 2005, to not renew it each year as pension paper says for life...save some money they said.

So i went back to my consulate and had it renewed..1020b...I made a copy of this , but immigration would not take that, they wanted to keep the original..all previous times they had kept copies only..I asked if this was a new policy and only got a grunt.....and said i had to do this every year.....

I had just told my friend in BKK to not renew his and he got thru with the old one.....<deleted>....

He was also not happy that i only had about 10,000 baht in the bank but calmed down when i told him i just built a 3 M. b house..

Other than the POI paper it went smooth...

I have seen in City Life that they are going to require a copy of ATM and Credit card also, but no word of this at immigration...anyone know about this?

Thanks....Chorizo

The requirement now is a new letter from Embassy every year and original is retained by Immigration.

That ATM card report was Pattaya specific and believe quickly dropped.

Are you sure it is a "new requirement", or are they just processing the rules the way they have been for years?

HML367

Hi,

I recently went to renew my Retirement visa and i was told that the proof of income paper i had from the Consulate had to be renewed. I had the original paper work from my pension program and the POI paper fron 2005 that i had been using since then. Which i was told by Thai Immigration in 2005, to not renew it each year as pension paper says for life...save some money they said.

So i went back to my consulate and had it renewed..1020b...I made a copy of this , but immigration would not take that, they wanted to keep the original..all previous times they had kept copies only..I asked if this was a new policy and only got a grunt.....and said i had to do this every year.....

I had just told my friend in BKK to not renew his and he got thru with the old one.....<deleted>....

He was also not happy that i only had about 10,000 baht in the bank but calmed down when i told him i just built a 3 M. b house..

Other than the POI paper it went smooth...

I have seen in City Life that they are going to require a copy of ATM and Credit card also, but no word of this at immigration...anyone know about this?

Thanks....Chorizo

I understand that the proof of income method for the visa was used here but what does building a 3 M. Baht house have to do with fulfilling the 800,000 (or less if grandfathered) Baht in the bank requirement? Or was that statement just part of the story and not directly related to qualifying for a retirement visa? I've presumed that the money in the bank requirement was more of a "I have the funds to take care of myself" approach than an "I have a made a financial investment in Thailand" type of evidence (if building the house was pertinent to getting visa approval).

Regard,

Martian

There was no 800k requirement. There is no requirement for any amount of money in bank when using Embassy letter (for 65k) as he did - but officer seems to have required him to show a bank book and did not like the small balance. As Immigration Hqs does not even require a show of bankbook suspect this was just the officer trying to understand how he supports himself and when poster explained it was much high before the deduction for building he could understand.

In my experience it is as lopburi3 stated...when the nice officer asks for something, it is not always a requirement, but him trying to understand some aspect of your application/qualifications/etc.

For my recent application for extension of stay, they asked about a bank account in Thailand and if I had a statement for that account. I replied "Yes" and "No", the man said, "It is no problem, I only ask you". They did ask about an ATM card...I showed my USA and Thai ATM cards. They had my wife go photocopy both...I have no problem with that, they cannot do anything with it that would be harmful to me.

It is best to go prepared, but offer nothing until it is asked for.

The OP is from Chiang Mai. Last year I brought my proof of pension income - well over the required 65K - and when I happened to show the bank account, the officer asked me to get it certified. I returned 36 minutes later with the letter, even though it is not on the list. This year I have spent that savings to buy a new motorcycle, and my remaining cash is in a joint account. So when I renew at the end of this month, I will just say no, I have some money in my boyfriend's account. And see what happens.

There was no 800k requirement. There is no requirement for any amount of money in bank when using Embassy letter (for 65k) as he did - but officer seems to have required him to show a bank book and did not like the small balance. As Immigration Hqs does not even require a show of bankbook suspect this was just the officer trying to understand how he supports himself and when poster explained it was much high before the deduction for building he could understand.

Thanks lopburi3,

I recognized the extension was based upon income and not money in the bank, the extra info about the house/low bank balance and the officer asking for it threw me a "curve ball".

Regards,

Martian

The OP is from Chiang Mai. Last year I brought my proof of pension income - well over the required 65K - and when I happened to show the bank account, the officer asked me to get it certified. I returned 36 minutes later with the letter, even though it is not on the list. This year I have spent that savings to buy a new motorcycle, and my remaining cash is in a joint account. So when I renew at the end of this month, I will just say no, I have some money in my boyfriend's account. And see what happens.

PeaceBlondie,

Congrats on the new ride!

Martian

Well, let me know how it goes, please.

I have my extension date in January, like you I make more than triple what is required, do not have a Thai bank account and was not going to get one. Pension only route....

Unless.......................

In my experience it is as lopburi3 stated...when the nice officer asks for something, it is not always a requirement, but him trying to understand some aspect of your application/qualifications/etc.

For my recent application for extension of stay, they asked about a bank account in Thailand and if I had a statement for that account. I replied "Yes" and "No", the man said, "It is no problem, I only ask you". They did ask about an ATM card...I showed my USA and Thai ATM cards. They had my wife go photocopy both...I have no problem with that, they cannot do anything with it that would be harmful to me.

It is best to go prepared, but offer nothing until it is asked for.

To be on the safe side, if you feel that you are being pressured to give an official a copy of your credit card, you might want to consider giving the copy to the official and then cancelling the card by contacting the issuing bank. Ask for a replacement card with a new credit card number and new security code. Having more than one credit card can be useful if this situation arises, as you can use your other credit card(s) until the replacement arrives.

I have been getting my retirement visa renewed in Chiang Mai for the last two years and I go to the American embassy get a letter stating my pension and SS income and a letter from the bank and a copy of my bank statement fill out the official paperwork and bring them in to the office with my passport. I payed 1900 baht for that and an additional amount I forget how much but it was quite a bit for a multiple re-entry stamp. The whole thing came to around $100 US. I heard from my Aussie buddies that they wouldn't take their pension papers and that they had to show 800,000 in the bank, but I am not sure because the system seems to be arbitrary to each station on any particular day. Like anywhere there are folks sitting around a table trying to make themselves look good by coming up with crazy schemes.

I have been getting my retirement visa renewed in Chiang Mai for the last two years and I go to the American embassy get a letter stating my pension and SS income and a letter from the bank and a copy of my bank statement fill out the official paperwork and bring them in to the office with my passport. I payed 1900 baht for that and an additional amount I forget how much but it was quite a bit for a multiple re-entry stamp. The whole thing came to around $100 US. I heard from my Aussie buddies that they wouldn't take their pension papers and that they had to show 800,000 in the bank, but I am not sure because the system seems to be arbitrary to each station on any particular day. Like anywhere there are folks sitting around a table trying to make themselves look good by coming up with crazy schemes.

The rule is,

Monthly income of 65,000 Baht OR 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank OR a combination of the 2.

The multi Re Entry Permit is 3,800 Baht.