How Slow Has Your Internet Been?

wintermute

Just a question to see how many problems people have been having. Around 5pm-8pm my TRUE internet was getting less than 56k transfer rates. This is far worse than dial up and is unacceptable for a DSL connection. This has been happening the last week or so with wild fluctuations in speed but most of the time it's dreadfully slow.

Interesting note, this only started happening around the same time as the protests. Possible correlation?

Edited by wintermute

As of about 15 minutes ago I can't get to most websites outside of Thailand at all (yahoo.com, google.com). Thaivisa is working fine.

We go through True.

Use opendns.com as your DNS servers and you will be fine.

I've just tested my connection (True) with True DNS server and I had the same problem as you described.

Opendns is the way to go.

Laurent

It's Prime Time right now,... and that means millions of Thai people surf the Internet, play games, do their CPU related homework research... With only a limited bandwidth of the entire country.... can you make a wild guess?????

It's Prime Time right now,... and that means millions of Thai people surf the Internet, play games, do their CPU related homework research... With only a limited bandwidth of the entire country.... can you make a wild guess?????

:o

No shit sherlock. I've been using True for 2 consecutive years now and this week has been by far the most abysmal. There is something unusual going on from my perspective and i'm doing an informal poll to see how many people are going through the same issues to determine if it's regional or national.

Yep my TOT Gold Business service has been <deleted> for a week.. Painfully slow and continual drop-outs.. Glad I'm not using it to run a business.. Going to change over to CAT this week.. had enough of TOT's hopeless speeds...

Loxinfo has been very slow the last couple of days.

Strangely enough if I use their speed test I get a reading of 1811.1536 kbps but using Speedtest.net I get absolutely nothing (not even a ping) when I try to connect to Bangkok and only 549 kbps when connecting to USA servers.

There are many websites I haven't been able to open today.

TOT Goldcyber in Isaan 100 KB/s download speed these days......

When I compare this crap with speed and prices in my home land then I realize that Thai Internet is far too expensive up here in Isaan and does not offer anything comparable, and it is no exaggeration to say that Thai Internet is still about 20 years back (see DSL Standard package for approx. THB 1500/monthly)

post-24939-1220578907_thumb.jpg

I have had an interesting experience over the last 3-4 days.

Connecting to Google would time out through any CAT connection. So even ThaiVisa, which probably use some GoogleAdd stuff would time out before the page would show. This morning it was working fine again.

The funny part about this was that Google was in fact replying to pings and trace routes through CAT.

On TOT and TT&T Google was loading just fine.

I don't know about that ....

20 years ago in the UK, I had a 2k modem and you had to pay for BT Gold email access. Just about the only thing I could do online was order from Kaye's catalogue.

Now I live in Uttaradit and have IPstar at 1,500B a month. It is the most expensive and the slowest Internet connection I have had since I went Broadband in the UK about seven years ago, but I have learned to live with 256/128 Kbit. However, I was paying 2,000B until three months ago, so progress is being made.

I often have to reset the 'box' (whatever it's called: 'converter' or something like that).

The service has not changed over the last week or two.A few good things I will say for IPstar:

1] if I complain about really bad connectivity, they will rebate me the day with no argument

2] when I have needed an engineer to call, he has

3] I often get more than I pay for - sometimes a heady 500-600 Kb!

The bottom line is: it is expensive and relatively slow, but it is fairly reliable with good support AND we don't have landlines available in our village.

Hi vagabond48,

You have free wireless in Chiang Mai, which I would love to see near here, but it hasn't caught on yet.

Of course, that's not much use without a laptop.

I use both; the laptop when travelling and the desktop at home, linked by 'Briefcase'.

Do you use satellite or landline?

Owen

Hi vagabond48,

Do you use satellite or landline?

Owen

Hey Owen,

I have wifi at home which the owner includes in the monthly rent. My signal from my laptop to the wifi unit is always very strong from 48 to 54 mbps. On good days the most we get out of the 1meg bandwidth is maybe 100kbs.

I have Ji-net in Bangkok and works great. a bit costly for 1 mb but I get fulll speed day or night. all speedtest I get at least 800 loceal or USA, Europe, etc. 1,900 THB.

in Pattaya I have a house and had to cancel TOT. Even though I am only in Pattaya for 3 or 4 days at a time TOT got to be useless. I had the goldcyber 2 mb package, my test speeds was around 60 or 70. My dtac Edge tested at 200 kps. I I was paying TOT 1,000 for a 2 mb connection that was useless outside of Thailand. I switched to KSC 512 package for 1300 THB per month. it was so funny when I tryed it it was like wow so fast. crazy to think but when you say wow comming from a 2 mb connection to a 512 kps connection you know they have big issues. KSC in Pattaya had one day of slow internet maybe for 4 hrs a few days back, other wise I get max on speed test. 440 kps in thailand or USA.

Stay away from true or TOT try to go with another provider, if you realy need the net you have to pay mofre premim service....I feel the same I have been in thailand for 7 years and the internet has gotten much cheaper but the quality has not changed at all, yes they do advertise fast speeds but you will never get it, stay iwth the lower speeds and yous the non phone company ISP if you can, if you need high speeds pay for premium speed. KSC has it, Ji-net. in Pattaya I am useing KSC home package and it is great full speed on a 512 connection much better then TOTs 2 mb connection. in Bangkok I am on Ji-net 1 mb connection premuem package 1,900 I would love to have 2 mg or 4 mb in Bangkok, but 4,900 for ksc and only 2 mb, and ji-net can onlly get 1 mb on a true line. With TOT in Pattaya I did try a lower speed and same issues so I had to switch......

I am sure others have different stories but I have been in Thailand for yeears used true 6 years. True was up and down, for 6 months it was ok, then the use up thier bandwith, to many useres shareing,, thus the speed would be so bad I could not even VOIP, then 3 months later they increase thier bandwith and works good for 2 or 3 months etc etc....I had to move to a different place to get rid of true in Bangkok, the place I was staying true would only let me use true so it depends on where you are. ..

quote name='wintermute' date='2008-09-02 20:23:50' post='2187759']

Just a question to see how many problems people have been having. Around 5pm-8pm my TRUE internet was getting less than 56k transfer rates. This is far worse than dial up and is unacceptable for a DSL connection. This has been happening the last week or so with wild fluctuations in speed but most of the time it's dreadfully slow.

Interesting note, this only started happening around the same time as the protests. Possible correlation?

:o

No shit sherlock. I've been using True for 2 consecutive years now and this week has been by far the most abysmal. There is something unusual going on from my perspective and i'm doing an informal poll to see how many people are going through the same issues to determine if it's regional or national.

As far as I can tell then it must be prime time every second of the day, because my service makes slow seem fast. TRUE of course.