What Kind Of (protective) Gear Does Everyone Wear (if Any)?

submaniac

What gear do you wear   

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

'imaneggspurt'
I saw you and your bike in foodland earlier, sory about the pool of drool on the floor ! :o awesome bike, i has the original 900ss and the first mike hailwood replica in england, i love that retro model you have and as much as i dont ride a road bike anymore id have that in the living room !

Just saw your post.. Thanks the Sport 1000 is great. I too had a 900ss.. Both pretty similar as based on same motor.. So far this one has be super reliable and pretty good in the traffic.. The MH900e has to be one of my all time fav's... A mate of mine has one Singapore..

Here's a pic for the deprived....

post-39406-1220494465_thumb.jpg

Now that is one really nice bike ....

IMHO, this "Armour" is a waste of money.

Armour won't save you. Defensive riding will.

<deleted>!!! CE approved armour is specifically designed to absorb some of the impact which would otherwise be passed directly to your body. Point in case - I hit 3 kids on a moped at approx 60 - 70 kph and came down hard on my left side. As it was the cool season here, I was wearing my Dainese leather jacket so my injury was limited to severly damaged shoulder ligaments rather than say, snapping off the ball of the top of the arm which is what happened to a mate.

Interesting, as someone else pointed out, although the likeleyhood of having an accident is probably higher here than in the west, most of us, myself included dress with less protection and for me, this is mostly down to the climate as full leathers all the time would be too uncomfortable. This can be as bad as not wearing protection because then you are paying too much attention to your bodily discomfort rather than riding the bike and being defensive (same if you are too cold). Also, I am guilty of riding with more beer in my belly here that I would do if living in the west but limit my consumption depending on which bike I am on. Anyway, here's my summary:

Commuting on my Nouvo - whatever I am going to be spending the day in plus an Airoh TR1 convertible helmet. Max 3 large Leos

Big bike cool season - armoured Dainese leather jacket, kevlar padded jeans, M/C or work boots, leather gloves, Roof fullface lid. 2 large Leos

Big bike warm/wet season - armoured mesh jacket, same jeans, boots & gloves, convertible Airoh lid. 2 large Leos

Offroad - as much <deleted> protection as possible coz I will definitely crash at some point during the day! 3 large Leos coz it's the end of the day, I'm normally hurting and knackered and a beer just tastes so dam_n good in those circumstances! :o

Cheers and ride safe,

Pikey.

I think it is rather silly wearing thongs (flip flops) when riding. If your riding a lot you end up with a callous on the big toe from gear changing. It's much smarter to wear crocs which gives your big toe some protection.

I think it is rather silly wearing thongs (flip flops) when riding. If your riding a lot you end up with a callous on the big toe from gear changing. It's much smarter to wear crocs which gives your big toe some protection.

Well until you slide on the tarmac you won't think of protection I guess.

I do as most people, do stupid things and one of them is when I pop over to the shop right around the corner. If I do that, I drive my wife's Fino, flipflops (no gearing), shorts, a thin t-shirt and a thai lid IF I drive out of the MooBahn. Any substantial shopping my car is the thing even though parking is a hate, and I use the seat belt due to the annoying plingpling I get if not. Driving after drinking is really stupid but it happens at times.

I've been moderately intelligent on a big bike, I use mesh armoured jacket, motorbike ankle boots, armoured mesh gloves, Shoei, but yes also my favorite denims. There are no armour in them and the knees are really not something to bang, but for abrasion I have slid on Levi's at times and got away with it, so I do it always here in Thailand. The jacket is really comfy so I don't mind wearing it and remove the armour and use it as a rain jacket and do it all jacket. Just wore out one and ordered a new one, and no I don't buy any of it in Thailand exept my denims, too many copies or too expensive. You get a Shoei, Jacket, boots and gloves for the price of a Shoei here :o

Back home in Europe when I lived there it was always full leather suit, shoei and full boots due to the temperature allows it, there is no way I would use a black leather suit here, unless required on the circuit.

Another thing to add is visibility, how many riders think about that here in Thailand, bright colors etc...

Another thing to add is visibility, how many riders think about that here in Thailand, bright colors etc...

A good point. Although always on headlights are compulsory, I've found that the locals just assume that you are on a small bike travelling at small bike speeds and therefore pull out on that assumption. For my big bike, and on the recommendation of another mate on GT-Rider, I bought one of those headlight modulators which makes the bulb flash about 4 times a second when switched on high beam. On low beam the light acts normally and there is a daylight sensor which turns the modulation off at dusk. I think this really raises your visibility and makes people pause before doing a stupid manouvre.

Cheers,

Pikey.

A good point. Although always on headlights are compulsory, I've found that the locals just assume that you are on a small bike travelling at small bike speeds and therefore pull out on that assumption. For my big bike, and on the recommendation of another mate on GT-Rider, I bought one of those headlight modulators which makes the bulb flash about 4 times a second when switched on high beam. On low beam the light acts normally and there is a daylight sensor which turns the modulation off at dusk. I think this really raises your visibility and makes people pause before doing a stupid manouvre.

Cheers,

Pikey.

A very good idea, just thought I'd highlight it. Anyone who has ridden anything apart from a moped in los will be aware that the thais, genereally, presume anything on two wheels is a moped and is therefore travelling at moped speeds

Cheers,

Pikey.

I heard about these and want one myself.. Did you get it here ??

I have heard car drivers complain that its annoying.. Erm yeah, thats the point !!!

Cheers,

Pikey.

I heard about these and want one myself.. Did you get it here ??

I have heard car drivers complain that its annoying.. Erm yeah, thats the point !!!

No, I got it from a company in the US - http://www.comagination.com/ and had a mate bring it over. However, I wouldn't recommend this company as the unit packed up after less than a month's use so I sent it back. The supposedly sent a replacement which I never received and several visits to CNX customs have failed to produce a result either. My GT-Rider mate bought one from http://www.kisantech.com/ and has had no problems. More expensive but then I guess you get what you pay for. :o

Cheers,

Pikey.

Can you buy protective wear in Thailand/Bangkok and what is actually the materials used.

I might want to have them make something here like pants and jacket with paddings

Jumbo,

Most of us seem to use "mesh" jackets which are a mix of polyester & cotton (I think). As the name suggests they are highly vented to promote good airflow. Normally they have hard padded armour at the shoulders & elbows and in most cases, a soft padded back protector. You may be able to get something made locally but I'd still source the armour from Europe or the US and make sure it's CE approved.

I'm currently waiting for a couple of "Juggernaut" armoured shirts for me and a mate from these guys:

http://www.highvelocitygear.com/

As it offers level 2 CE protection, the idea is to strip out the original padding from my mesh jacket and wear it underneath for road riding, then for offroad, wear it over a base layer with an MX jersey on top to catch the crap. They also discount $40 if you are a forum member on ADVRider and I asked them and they agreed to do the same deal if you are a forum member on GT-Rider. Once I have received my shirt, a crash report will surely follow shortly after and I'll post order details on the GT-Rider website so long as I am impressed with the protection levels. They also do individual armour bits and post to Thailand.

Cheers,

Pikey.

EDIT: Forgot - off-the-peg jackets e.t.c can be bought at FastCorner, Paddock and The DirtBike Shop in BKK but as I live in CNX, I don't know their addresses.

Edited by Pikey

If they had this in adult / man sizes I would have bought one of these..

http://www.mocycshop.com/product.detail_147576_th_1624014

But the difficult thai phone conversation I had with them showed that they think a medium Eur size is approx XL !! If your only after hobbit sizes you are probably OK here but shopping for clothes of any type for a large farang guy is rough. I need a EUR 58 or 60.

If they had this in adult / man sizes I would have bought one of these..

http://www.mocycshop.com/product.detail_147576_th_1624014

But the difficult thai phone conversation I had with them showed that they think a medium Eur size is approx XL !! If your only after hobbit sizes you are probably OK here but shopping for clothes of any type for a large farang guy is rough. I need a EUR 58 or 60.

I use L Euro size but sometimes XXL in Thailand, so beware, for your size I would bet it would be near impossible to get a fit.

Over to jackets made in Thailand for motorbike they are often made of normal poly, or worse nylon mix of some sort, which melts when you slide and the effect of getting molten plastic into your skin in combination with scratches and dirt is simular to Napalm. Buying original real stuff (you donno, it might be conterfeit in an original shop) cost you a fortune.

Buy original stuff from overseas with CE markings, it's cheaper often 1/2 price and you get somthing which works the day you need it.

I really struggled with dealing with them too.. My Thai is poor in conversation but usually enough to work out a deal / price / etc.. With this bunch they couldnt even understand me say hello, or the intial part.. then my GF called and she seemed to have one hel_l of a time conversing with them. Load of 'arai' back and forth..

Upshot was they assured her they had 'every size'.. so when I ordered a 58 or 60 EUR they laid an egg.. Tried to tell her that 54 EUR (44 US) is the largest size dianese made.. Assured her that a 54 HAD to fit as it fit someone she knew who was a giant.. at 180cm !! Bit of demonstration with a tape and GF told her I am nearer 195 and I think they believed she was making it up.. Funny thing is I am big but I am not a giant, I have a few mates both taller and bigger shouldered than me. Surely I am not the first farang to ever call and need a size bigger then a medium !!

• 7 months later...

Back then: Leather jacket, jeans, leather MotoX boots, leather Frank Thomas gloves & Bell Star II lid.

Round town here: tennis shoes, shorts, t-shirt 'n' open face lid.

On tour here: Mesh jacket or leather "Levi style" jacket or long sleeved t-shirt & leather vest, leather jeans, Komine gloves, Caberg Justissimo lid and these boots!

post-66370-1239346681_thumb.jpg

Edited by AceCafe

• 3 months later...

Well I do hate having a lot of gear on but I relented and bought myself some boots at a clearance sale. Everytime I ride more than a few clicks it seems to rain, and the lace up work boots don't cut it in the rain. Plus last year I bought a new AGV Sport jacket.

post-63954-1249537064_thumb.jpg

Just don't expect to see me riding around Pattaya with em on!

PS: Next year I may buy some new gloves. :)

Edited by BSJ