Phuket Apartment & Scooter

dbTraveler

I am moving to Phuket next week. What is the best way to find an apartment to rent? Does anyone recommend a website or have any advice?

Also, I will be living in Phuket for atleast 6 months and I will be needing a Scooter. Should I buy a used scooter or just rent one? If i do buy, where are good places to buy a used one?

Thanks

I am moving to Phuket next week. What is the best way to find an apartment to rent? Does anyone recommend a website or have any advice?

Also, I will be living in Phuket for atleast 6 months and I will be needing a Scooter. Should I buy a used scooter or just rent one? If i do buy, where are good places to buy a used one?

Thanks

Best way to find an apartment is 1) check classifieds in www.phuketgazette.net and drive about your target area looking FOR RENT signs.

Similar look in classifieds for used scooters. If here for 6 months = 18,000 baht in rentals. Second hand bike can be sold for not much less than you paid. Work it out for yourself !!!!

Depends where your looking, getting out and talking to people and putting yourself about always gets the deals.

Bikes, its a toss up, the buy and sell is cheaper (as long as you buy second hand) but lots more hassle factor, selling under time pressure is not great either. Rentals are a fixed cost, no responsibility.. Once you factor in servicing, wear and tear, etc etc theres little in it.

3 months or less, rent.. 6 months or more.. leads into buying but only at a good deal.

Full disclosure :: I say that from the position of someone who (whose missus) rents them. Its a lot of work for some small return.

Full disclosure :: I say that from the position of someone who (whose missus) rents them. Its a lot of work for some small return.

Speaking with the same hat, the missus & me have given up renting bikes. Small return, big hassle. And you need at least 10 rental bikes to make a modest living income = 10 headaches..

I treat it as pin money for the GF.. It means she doesnt need to ask me if she wants to buy small items, she has her own bank accounts, that bit of freedom, independence, and letting her learn stuff for herself. It dont pay the rent thats for sure.

Problem is I get roped in, I dont mind the delivery aspect, but the level of crap from farangs, even ones that are / were mates of mine... Crash a bike scratch it up and leave it at the bar for collection but they have scarpered.. Make her chase them for money, pay late, be a grand short on a monthly rental.. Guys can spend 5k in a bar in the afternoon but will screw around a 40kg Thai girl who cant do anything about it over 500 baht ?!?! Its been an eye opener how pathetic some people can be to be honest.