Fast Food Outlets In Phuket

keestha

Living in Khao Lak, we frequently drive down to Phuket to use facilities which are lacking at home, such as department stores, other highly specialized shops, and the private hospitals.

Having lunch at the island almost inevitably means going to one of the fast food outlets attached to Lotus, Big C and the like.

For a while MK was my favourite, till I forgot going to it for a while. After a few months I went to another MK branch then where we usually went, but it was a disappointing experience, and MK hasn't seen us since. Black Canyon has nice food, but after a few years I just got bored of it. Don't like suki, but Texas Suki is still OK if you are not so hungry, for a light chicken noodledish or whatever you prefer.

The day before yesterday we went to The Pizza, I think for the last time in a long time to come. Their pizzas I stopped eating a long time ago, so this time I tried a lasagna. It looked as if there was cheese on top, but I wondered if it was real cheese, it had no taste whatsoever. Really the type of food that looks/tastes like it comes out of a factory instead of a kitchen. Being a restaurant operator myself, bashing a restaurant is the last thing I would do, knowing a family depends on it, but I don't think Bill Heinecke has much reason to be concerned.

KFC and Mac Donalds are still OK for a quick bite if I go to Phuket without my family, you just want to get your business done quickly. In the Central Department store there are a few Japanese restaurants, think I tried two of them, but was not so impressed.

Right now my favourite chain(?) is Sizzlers, high quality food, nice salad bar, soup and desert included.

What are you guys thoughts about the fast food outlets? But maybe you hardly ever eat there anyway, since you are living in Phuket, and have time to go to the better places.

Edited by keestha

Just before i got to the end of your post i was going to recommend sizzler.........

But another good stop off is Molly Mollones Irish Pub along Beach Road, there Portions are hugh, and the food is fantastic, as there ribs, steaks and burger out do Sizzler by far

but I wondered if it was real cheese, it had no taste whatsoever. Really the type of food that looks/tastes like it comes out of a factory instead of a kitchen.

Well isn't that what fast food is? (tasteless food factory)

I last ate a McDonald's burger in '95. After i threw it up, i said, never again.

I remember travelling with a geologist once who told me that their shakes are really made from clay. (notice they never call them milk shakes)

Last time i was in Patong, i noticed 3 McDonald's. I think they want the whole world to look like New Jersey!

I must say that late night hunger has made me stop for one of those 20 baht chicken burgers at 7/11 though already. Shameful i know.

I have given up on most fast food outlets when on Phuket.

Seems to me, LoS is going all dumbed down american, lowest common denominator of taste.

I have found my faves, and every visit, I return to them, Bangers inc.

Hawker food in Bangers, cheaper and tastier.

Knowimg where to go is the thing, where ever you are.

Just before i got to the end of your post i was going to recommend sizzler.........

But another good stop off is Molly Mollones Irish Pub along Beach Road, there Portions are hugh, and the food is fantastic, as there ribs, steaks and burger out do Sizzler by far

I'm a big fan of Molly M's, and I buy take away often. Unfortunately it can be slow at times, but the quality and value compensates for that. It's not super slow, but if you are hungry and waiting it can seem like an eternity. My only complaint is that the breakfast special is inedible. Good staff too. Close by is a Subway and its its decent. (So's the Subway up on Rat-U. Better for you too instead of the frozen congealed glop of McDs or Burger King.) I confess to sneaking into Jungceylon KFC from time to time, much to the ridicule of my friends, yet they always seem to grab a piece anyway :o MK never fails to disappoint. 'nuff said.

For fun fast food, I grab a corn cob. Those things are good aren't they? Except when you get those pesky kernels stuck in your teeth.

I guess it is a sign of the times that in Soi Bangla now fast food outlets seem to be a better business prospect than girlie bars.

Maybe the advertising campaigns of the TAT were so well-thought through that tourists coming to Thailand nowadays are neither interested in Thai girls nor Thai food; or maybe interacting with the local rude and thieving populace has become so disheartening that only the homely atmosphere of a McDonald's gives the needed holiday feeling...

It's not as big as some of the other chains mentioned, but one of my favorites is ' Yum Sab' (pronounced Yum Sap) in Central. Bright clean restaurant, where the food's prepared in front of you. I like the way the walls are covered with large pictures of the dishes they serve, so you know exactly what they have to offer.

yes - I never fail to be impressed by the fast food on the top floor of Central near the cinema.

Its good stuff and as cheap as eating at a plastic chaired eaterie by the side of a main road.

If only it was like that in a shopping mall back home - it's often double the price!

Anyway, i eat at the veggie counter in Central. I think it's like 30 baht for a huge plate of meat-free goodness. Large choice too.

I cant vouch for any of the other places within that food court.

Oh - the Indian place there does veggie stuff too but it's fairly expensive. About 80 baht for a veggie Thaili i think.

Bloomin robbers!