15 Month Overstay

I was wondering if anyone knows of any way I can clear up this situation. I have overstayed my tourist visa by 15 months. Will I need to pay more than 20,000 baht at the airport? I have landed a very stable job and need to leave Thailand on September 8 and head to Singapore to get a Non-B Visa. I have previously been issued Non-B Visas in Penang and USA. Any help is greatly appreciated.

As strange as it sounds, past experience appears to be that as long as you show up at the airport with a confirmed outbound ticket and THB 20,000, you won't be subject to any further penalties. Even more astounding is that a previous overstay appears not to have a negative impact on future visa applications.

If you can get there as a previous poster mentioned. I would think the odds are extremely minimal in getting pulled over or so I thought. In July I got pulled over randomly in a cab with my Thai G/f and the cop tapped on her side of the window and then stuck his head in and had a good look around and said where you from? and then asked how long I had been in Thailand? so I told him, he then asked if I was okay? He then gave me the thumbs up and waved us on and NEVER asked for my passport. Bizarre

Edited by zorro1

If you can get there as a previous poster mentioned. I would think the odds are extremely minimal in getting pulled over or so I thought. In July I got pulled over randomly in a cab with my Thai G/f and the cop tapped on her side of the window and then stuck his head in and had a good look around and said where you from? and then asked how long I had been in Thailand? so I told him, he then asked if I was okay? He then gave me the thumbs up and waved us on and NEVER asked for my passport. Bizarre

Buy a lottery ticket. :o

Buy a lottery ticket. :D

My papers were in order and I was still anxious :o

Oh come on .... tell us .. we all are dying to know how anyone can overstay by 15 months. I mean how can you even start to justify it .. there is no excuse at all i can think of and i am chaffing at the bit to hear even one VALID reason from you . Or ... is it that you are just totally irresponsible. ?

Don't get me wrong , i couldn't care less how many people overstay as long as it doesn't affect me , but i am racking my brains to think of a valid excuse .. and i can't . PLEASE tell us .

Oh come on .... tell us .. we all are dying to know how anyone can overstay by 15 months. I mean how can you even start to justify it .. there is no excuse at all i can think of and i am chaffing at the bit to hear even one VALID reason from you . Or ... is it that you are just totally irresponsible. ?

Don't get me wrong , i couldn't care less how many people overstay as long as it doesn't affect me , but i am racking my brains to think of a valid excuse .. and i can't . PLEASE tell us .

So that's why you're named 'yaketeeyak..." :o

So that's why you're named 'yaketeeyak..." :o

Don't get me wrong .... i couldn't care less..... PLEASE tell us . (edited just for effect)

:D:D

Well, I wouldn't overstay if I could help it, but I can think of many reasons people might have for doing it. For example, if you were a person who used to stay on tourist visa/stamp combos for years and had an established life here but no other way to get a long term visa after the crackdown on using stamps, that would be an excuse. What I find funny is people who really internalize that it is a serious crime to overstay a visa. Yes, in Thailand, it can have serious consequences but on the moral/ethical level it is similar to a traffic violation. Many countries don't criminalize visa overstays, Thailand does, but no reason to get on your high moral horse about it.

Edited by Jingthing

There was a guy lived and worked as part time bar manager on Patpong, overstayed 7 years. He turned himself in ti immigration in Suan Phlu, got arrested and bailed by friends, sentence B20,000 fine. He left the country and returned later.

he probably saw that your g/f was university educated and from a good family.

as for the op, 20K and its ok.

As for the rest of you whats will all the "if you make it to the airport" nonsense.

12 years in thailand and i have never been asked to show a passport or id. not saying it wont happen, it is just HIGHLY unlikely.

Edited by t.s

he probably saw that your g/f was university educated and from a good family.

as for the op, 20K and its ok.

As for the rest of you whats will all the "if you make it to the airport" nonsense.

12 years in thailand and i have never been asked to show a passport or id. not saying it wont happen, it is just HIGHLY unlikely.

My mate lives in the sticks,for the past 8 years he was never requested to show his Passport.Well, at Imm.Office to renew his Visa.

I go around a lot more,normally the Thai Drivers Permit is OK,but found a stickler,wasn't satisfied with it,nor with my Pass copy,insisted to bring me to the nearest Police Station for verification! :D

Luckily had a carload of Policemen(and women),so he was overvoted! :o

But it happens,better be aware of it! :D

Well, I wouldn't overstay if I could help it, but I can think of many reasons people might have for doing it. For example, if you were a person who used to stay on tourist visa/stamp combos for years and had an established life here but no other way to get a long term visa after the crackdown on using stamps, that would be an excuse. What I find funny is people who really internalize that it is a serious crime to overstay a visa. Yes, in Thailand, it can have serious consequences but on the moral/ethical level it is similar to a traffic violation. Many countries don't criminalize visa overstays, Thailand does, but no reason to get on your high moral horse about it.

Jingthing I totally disagree with you. So now you are saying farangs can decide on

a discretionary basis which laws in Thailand should be regarded as being serious

or not so serious ? Is it any wonder the Thai authorities make it so hard for some

if they think foreigners have such a casual attitutude for the lwas of the country ? :o

Don't even sweat it. I have overstayed on probably 6 different occasions, ranging from a day too long to months too long. They just want the money, disregard the people that are all outraged that you chose to overstay for whatever reason. The Thai government knows to some people it is just worth paying the money and not being hassled about the whole process of doing it the legit way. If this wasn't the case why do they keep letting me back in?

The reason I overstayed in the past is I just didn't care and know there is nothing they will do about it anyway.

If they ask why you overstayed too long just tell them you like Thailand too much. In my experience this made them smile and there isn't a whole lot they can say to such a positive statement.

Edited by anotheruser

Jingthing I totally disagree with you. So now you are saying farangs can decide on

a discretionary basis which laws in Thailand should be regarded as being serious

or not so serious ? Is it any wonder the Thai authorities make it so hard for some

if they think foreigners have such a casual attitutude for the lwas of the country ? :o

You clearly missed the meaning of my post. The Thai authorities are dead serious about their immigration laws and enforcement. We would be fools to ignore that. But I also think we would be fools if we INTERNALIZE their attitudes about this. The foreigners violating these laws have problems but they are not serious criminals in the grand scheme of things if you take a larger perspective. To illustrate, there might be some countries where smoking a joint will get you executed. You would be silly to smoke a joint there. But you wouldn't be guilty of war crimes either.

Edited by Jingthing

The first time I overstayed I didnt notice it until I was a couple days over. I went to the police and showed them and asked them what to do about it. They said don't worry just pay when I leave. If you are in trouble with the cops for other reasons or they just don't like you maybe it is a problem. I am not suggesting anybody overstays or relies on advice from the net concerning such things though. I really think it is just something they use to get revenue and nothing more.

Edited by anotheruser

Hello i would not worry about it. I had overstayed by 2 and half years and left via the airport and no problem and went on to get a non imm b visa issued from UK. I payed 20000 baht and all was fine. But they did ask me why i had overstayed and i did have a good enough reason for it and docs for it.

Good luck.

Use your imagination. Surely you can think of at least one reason.

At the end of the day he'll probably have saved a lot of money and inconvenience by just paying 20k on the way out.

• 2 weeks later...

Use your imagination. Surely you can think of at least one reason.

At the end of the day he'll probably have saved a lot of money and inconvenience by just paying 20k on the way out.

maybe he's been in a druken stupor or a coma..

Afterall, we are farang and we can do what ever we like right?

It's called freedom of choice, right? They save a lot of money, leave and come straight back.

I wonder how the OP did on September 8.

Edited by tropo

None of your bloody business mate. The guy comes on with a serious question - one which is likely causing massive anxiety and worry (albiet self inflicted) and you proceed to offer zero advice, prefering to insult the guy.

5 Years in Thailand for me. I have never been asked to show passport. The chances of being pulled on the way to the airport are laughably small.... thousands to one, if not tens of thousands to one. Christ - possibly hundreds of thousands to one.

He will get to the airport, pay a 20K fine. Thats the law and they apply it without any on the spot judgment. Just pay it and go, come back if you like. Its clear cut. The possibility of the police detaining him for a few days while they look into his background are also very smal. I may be wrong, but my feeling is that the poster who advised this is simply causing worry for the guy for no reason.