15 Month Overstay

I had been on B Visa's for five years. When I quit my job, I consulted a lawyer who said that I did not need to leave the country as my visa still had three months to go. I believed her much to my regret.

After quitting my job, I started up my own business. Needed work permit which my so called lawyer was 'sorting' out having recieved a 10,000 baht deposit from me. Kept on calling and she came out with one excuse after another.

Finally, took a trip to the Labour Dept and was informed that the old work permit was cancelled but no new work permit applied for!

Went to immigration and explained the situation, was still slapped with a three month overstay fine of 26,000 Baht.

Back to square one, 36,000 Baht down! In the end I sorted everything out myself ....cost under 10,000 baht!

The OP states a max of 20,000...for 15 months overstay I doubt the figure, I believe he will pay alot more than that if Immigration choose to do so.

Good Luck!

If you can get there as a previous poster mentioned. I would think the odds are extremely minimal in getting pulled over or so I thought. In July I got pulled over randomly in a cab with my Thai G/f and the cop tapped on her side of the window and then stuck his head in and had a good look around and said where you from? and then asked how long I had been in Thailand? so I told him, he then asked if I was okay? He then gave me the thumbs up and waved us on and NEVER asked for my passport. Bizarre

Whats bizarre about that? Thai law says you should carry your passport at all times, but the police know that is impracticle, especially if you have staying here a long time. I got stopped by police this morning. they asked for a passport. I told them I don't carry it with me. showed them a thai driving license and a business card to confirm my address and they were bending over backwards to process my 200 bT fine for speeding.

Back to the subject, to overstay for 15 months and then reapply for a non-im visa sounds strange. The overstay stamp doesn't look impressive on your passport.

j.

...Thai law says you should carry your passport at all times...

I’ve been looking for that law for years. Could you post a link to it, or at least give the full title and year of the law to help me find it?

--

Maestro

Oh come on .... tell us .. we all are dying to know how anyone can overstay by 15 months. I mean how can you even start to justify it .. there is no excuse at all i can think of and i am chaffing at the bit to hear even one VALID reason from you . Or ... is it that you are just totally irresponsible. ?

Don't get me wrong , i couldn't care less how many people overstay as long as it doesn't affect me , but i am racking my brains to think of a valid excuse .. and i can't . PLEASE tell us .

What's so difficult to understand?

Had a retired soldier from her majesty who did not have 40K baht month pension or how much was it before they raised it to 65K?

His passport expired longtime before he died from too much beer and cigs. Why would he need a visa for? :o

He must have had a serious budget though to smoke 80 cigs/day and 15 bottles of Chang, large.

the longest overstay i ever heard of was an old American guy, who lives in my GF village in Udon, he overstayed from 1985 until 2007, yep 22 years. he was then offered a job with a Bangkok company that makes solar panels (he's an engineer) the company's lawyers took him to immigration to hand him in, he spent 1 night in an holding cell before paying 20,000 thb overstay fine and 2000 thb fine for the immigration, he flew out to the US that day, got a non-b visa in L.A then returned within 10 days.

...Thai law says you should carry your passport at all times...

I’ve been looking for that law for years. Could you post a link to it, or at least give the full title and year of the law to help me find it?

--

Maestro

Not from a Thai government site, but a reputable source at least. 3rd paragraph down on this page.

Edited by dantilley

From the website cited by dantilley:

By law, tourists are expected to carry their passports with them at all times in Thailand. There have been incidents where tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport.
Source: www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and-living-overseas/travel-advice-by-country/asia-oceania/thailand?ta=lawsCustoms&pg=3

Please see this other topic on this subject and in particular this post I made there. I am serious in trying to track down this often-mentioned but elusive law and everybody is welcome to join in the competition I have opened. It runs for another seven days.

--

Maestro

the longest overstay i ever heard of was an old American guy, who lives in my GF village in Udon, he overstayed from 1985 until 2007, yep 22 years. he was then offered a job with a Bangkok company that makes solar panels (he's an engineer) the company's lawyers took him to immigration to hand him in, he spent 1 night in an holding cell before paying 20,000 thb overstay fine and 2000 thb fine for the immigration, he flew out to the US that day, got a non-b visa in L.A then returned within 10 days.

I know a guy who beats that by one about 1year - he stayed 23yrs!

Eventualy got his passport renewed. Brit passport - Embassy didn't blink and eye - they see "overstayers" day in day out, just gave him the usualy "official warning" regards potential consequences and left out the part about getting his original visa stamp transferred from his old passport to his new one!!

What happened?

He went to the airport, paid his Baht20K and left - end of subject. No one at the airport was the slightest bit interested in his story - just that he had sufficent to pay his fine.

He's back now.

His attitude: had no reason to leave over the last 23years - sat down, down some calc's and reackoned the Baht 20K fine was an absolute bargin all things considered as he saved himself quite a few million baht in airfares, visa runs and what not over the preceeding 23 years .......!!!!

Edited by Maizefarmer

I can't help but think that these people who over stay to the extent of a year + must really piss off immigration and make it worse for the rest of us.

Don't worry about it, it doesn't piss anyone off at all.

You pay your 20K, leave and come straight back. If guys can do that after 22/23 years overstay it's pretty obvious they are not too concerned about it.

Many years ago I had a 5 month overstay, I thought that was a lot.

The Immigration Poilce at the airport told me it's "It's nothing ", then he showed me a Chinese guys passport that was 5 years overstay!

I do know some people that stay in Thailand with no Visa, they have been here for years and have no intention of ever leaving and have nowhere else to go, if you have the money to keep a current Visa valid, then full steam ahead and get renewals.

I've been here since 1990 and have never once been asked for my passport in a spot check.

Overstayed once years ago for 17 days. Went to the airport with hospital stuff and doctors this and that and stuff from the airline about there not being flights in my class etc. Guy at Don Muang pulled me to a little glass booth and asked if I could pay the Bt3400, at the time Bt200 a day. I got out all the "evidence" but he didn't care at all. Just pony up the money. Big stamp in passport and some stamp saying I had paid.

Later I wanted a visa from Hull and I phoned them. I was going to ditch the passport and get a new one. They said if I had paid it made no difference whether I had overstayed or not and when the visa arrived it was straightforward.

I know someone who overstayed a couple of years because he was too bone idle to go to the border (in the days of 30 day runs) and just lost his passport and got a new one, 20k and off to the border.

I've been here since 1990 and have never once been asked for my passport in a spot check.

Just for the record, I've been here for 3 and a half years and been asked for my passport in a "spot check" twice. Once when I was just on my way back from a visa run, coincidentally, and another time when the taxi I was in was pulled over near Asoke. The second time I didn't have it with me, nor even a photocopy, and it was considered no big deal, I was allowed to continue on my way.

I have often considered this option, as the visa regulations are so absurdly onerous and cost far more than 20,000 baht even in one year.

But what I wonder is - don't most of you fellows find that when you stay in hotels (especially in Bangkok or tourist areas) they ask to see your passport and copy not only the picture page but the entry card/stamp page? I wonder if one might be rejected or reported by hotels if one had a long overstay?

I have often considered this option, as the visa regulations are so absurdly onerous and cost far more than 20,000 baht even in one year.

But what I wonder is - don't most of you fellows find that when you stay in hotels (especially in Bangkok or tourist areas) they ask to see your passport and copy not only the picture page but the entry card/stamp page? I wonder if one might be rejected or reported by hotels if one had a long overstay?

Yes, i've thought about that in the past. Guess it depends on the hotel. I doubt they would reject you (it's a business afterall) , but they might make a phone call once you have paid the bill and checked out.

Hotels/Apartments are required by law to report any forign person checking-in to Immigration.

There is even the ability for them to do it my email.

Landlords are even required to doit when you lease a house.

Edited by ubonjoe

Last time I went to BKK I forgot to take my passport, when they ask for my passport I showed them my Thai drivers license. They photocopied it and said no problem.

Last time I went to BKK I forgot to take my passport, when they ask for my passport I showed them my Thai drivers license. They photocopied it and said no problem.

I've forgotten my passport that way before, and it has been hit or miss - some hotels refused me, others no problem. I don't have any Thai drivers license of course, but I guess that might be a good thing to get before initiating overstay.

One thing's for sure, though, outside of Bangkok and the tourist areas, in my experience the majority of hotels don't even ask for passport.

I doubt that someone on a long overstay would be staying a hotel anyway. So I would thing the question is moot.

I know one guy whose passport expired 10 years ago. Has a nice, place live, comes into town a couple of times a month to have a few beers with buddies, otherwise lives a very quiet suburban life.

Has not intention of ever leaving, and I’m sure he won’t.

TH

I've forgotten my passport that way before, and it has been hit or miss - some hotels refused me, others no problem. I don't have any Thai drivers license of course, but I guess that might be a good thing to get before initiating overstay.

One thing's for sure, though, outside of Bangkok and the tourist areas, in my experience the majority of hotels don't even ask for passport.

The big hotels will need your passport as they have to enter the passport number

and arrival card number when they inform immigration.

Back woods places don't care, is my experience.

I have stayed in a small hotel in Korat, on and off for 15 years

and never had to produce my passport.

Hotels/Apartments are required by law to report any forign person checking-in to Immigration.

Wow. I wonder how often this requirement is actually carried out - maybe 1% of the time?

Wow. I wonder how often this requirement is actually carried out - maybe 1% of the time?

Hotels in resorts like Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai ---- 100%

Landlords - variable, possibly the 1% that you mention.

If you can get there as a previous poster mentioned. I would think the odds are extremely minimal in getting pulled over or so I thought. In July I got pulled over randomly in a cab with my Thai G/f and the cop tapped on her side of the window and then stuck his head in and had a good look around and said where you from? and then asked how long I had been in Thailand? so I told him, he then asked if I was okay? He then gave me the thumbs up and waved us on and NEVER asked for my passport. Bizarre

Buy a lottery ticket. :D

Hmmm in my almost 10 years here I have bumped into policeman now and then but was never asked for my passport either .... I never win anything in the lotery though :o

Waerth

Edited by WAERTH

You can also cancel an overstay inside Thailand... We did it last week for a 20 months overstay.

You go to the immigration with at least 22,000 baht.

You pay your fine, 20,000 baht and ask for a 7 days extension. (1,900 baht??).

That way, you know that at the border, you won't have any problems.

But you might have a problem at the immigration if you arrive there without any notice, depending where you go. We all hear that there is no problem at the airport when you pay 20,000 baht but that client didn't want to take the risk.

We went to immigration in Korat last week, cancelled his 20 months, he went to Laos last Sunday and I saw him back in town 2 days ago with a perfect tourism visa. :o

Good luck.

Sebastian.

Apartment buildings in bangkok also photocopy your visa, so that would rule out staying in hotels, guest houses, apartment buildings, private landlord houses.. leaving... no option in the big city (live with your girlfriend?).

But yes.. yes, im sure the overstayers all saved a lot of money.