What Religions Are Y'all Here At Thaivisa?

Jingthing

What is your religion or non-religion?  

248 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sheesh Garro you are one straightfaced, humourless git. At the minute I am too tired to put a proper reply together, but lighten up for fcuks sake, "3B" and the spelling bit were legpulls with you being a schoolteacher and all. (3B being an imaginary class).

This is a thread on religion and I posted a brief exposition of Protestant theology, from which you alternately ignore and distort what I say and become abusive and offensive. Obviously you are incapable of an intelligent and rational debate. Note that I am not sinking to your level.

More later.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh dear Rott, doth protest too much, methinks. Intelligent debate is a two-way street. If you go back and read my replies then you will see that my criticisms were directed at the point of view you were putting forward. If this is not your point of view then why are you offended?

Some types of humour do not work well on anonymous internet forums. For example, irony and satire can easily be taken the wrong way because of the fact that we have no visual clues about the person posting and we usually don't know them. This can often lead to posts which may have been meant in jest coming across as arrogant or just plain stupid. When I read your posts the only clues which I have to your meaning is your words. The internet is a great form of communication but does not allow for mind-reading as yet.

Garro I am encouraged by your more moderate tone, but what it is I protest too much about puzzles me.

Anyway I think I've sussed why you call me arrogant, is it because I QUOTED the following:-

"Any doctrine not proven from Holy Scripture is not a true Christian doctrine."

Yes repeat I QUOTED:-

A) The Church of England (The 39 Articles of Religion)

:o The Presbyterians (The Westminster Confession of Faith)

also The Baptists, Methodists, Congregationalists, Lutherans, Church of Scotland. Church of Ireland, and every Protestant church group in the world. This is in fact the basic principle of the Protestant Reformation. (the RC Church says that Christianity is half The Bible and half the 'traditions' of the church. This was anathema to Luther, Knox, Calvin and all the reformers.)

Many of the 'traditions' were practices of those 'converted' to Christianity, frequently at the point of a sword or as part of a political deal. For example RC style Saints began life as heathen gods, but it was easier to allow the converted to bring their baggage with them and adapt to them.

Do you understand me now, I was not being sneering or insulting, just stating a fact that anybody with any knowledge of the subject is aware of.

Don't know how the smiley got in, beyond my minimal keyboard skills.

Also Naam thank you for your input, I assume browsing tv to check the spelling of something was part of the humour. (in case you misunderstand me as well - genuine post nothing smartarse intended).

Garro I am encouraged by your more moderate tone, but what it is I protest too much about puzzles me.

Anyway I think I've sussed why you call me arrogant, is it because I QUOTED the following:-

"Any doctrine not proven from Holy Scripture is not a true Christian doctrine."

Yes repeat I QUOTED:-

A) The Church of England (The 39 Articles of Religion)

:D The Presbyterians (The Westminster Confession of Faith)

also The Baptists, Methodists, Congregationalists, Lutherans, Church of Scotland. Church of Ireland, and every Protestant church group in the world. This is in fact the basic principle of the Protestant Reformation. (the RC Church says that Christianity is half The Bible and half the 'traditions' of the church. This was anathema to Luther, Knox, Calvin and all the reformers.)

Many of the 'traditions' were practices of those 'converted' to Christianity, frequently at the point of a sword or as part of a political deal. For example RC style Saints began life as heathen gods, but it was easier to allow the converted to bring their baggage with them and adapt to them.

Do you understand me now, I was not being sneering or insulting, just stating a fact that anybody with any knowledge of the subject is aware of.

I am pleased that you are encouraged by my 'more moderate tone', but I must admit that I am confused as to how my posts have changed - I would say that all my posts on this topic have been consistent. I suppose that this is more proof of how much of ourselves is involved when we interpret any text. Maybe this should be a lesson for us all on the need to be aware of our own biases when interpreting any 'sacred texts' and that different people will read the same thing in a different way dependent on their own beliefs and prejudices. This could account for the development of different sects reading the same words but developing different world outlooks. Perhaps your god was not aware of this human flaw when he decided to enter the world of book publishing :o .

• 2 weeks later...
i worship the greek gods..it is back in vogue.

Worshiping the Elder Gods & Goddesses never went out of style :o

Many MANY thanks to the OP for including Wicca and Paganism to the poll. We often get left out when people question religion.

I never knew there were so many people who think that there is nothing out there greater than us, no creative entity, no nothing... I never even thought about atheism, and I feel kinda sad for those that are.

Flying Spaghetti Monster is the latest ...now brings the number of gods to 2501, google or wiki it

The Eight "I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts"

1. I'd really rather you didn't act like a sanctimonious holier-than-thou ass when describing my noodly goodness. If some people don't believe in me, that's okay. Really, I'm not that vain. Besides, this isn't about them so don't change the subject.
  2. I'd really rather you didn't use my existence as a means to oppress, subjugate, punish, eviscerate, and/or, you know, be mean to others. I don't require sacrifices, and purity is for drinking water, not people.
  3. I'd really rather you didn't judge people for the way they look, or how they dress, or the way they talk, or, well, just play nice, okay? Oh, and get this into your thick heads: woman = person. man = person. Samey = Samey. One is not better than the other, unless we're talking about fashion and I'm sorry, but I gave that to women and some guys who know the difference between teal and fuchsia.
  4. I'd really rather you didn't indulge in conduct that offends yourself, or your willing, consenting partner of legal age AND mental maturity. As for anyone who might object, I think the expression is "go fuc_k yourself," unless they find that offensive in which case they can turn off the TV for once and go for a walk for a change.
  5. I'd really rather you didn't challenge the bigoted, misogynistic, hateful ideas of others on an empty stomach. Eat, then go after the bitches.
  6. I'd really rather you didn't build multi million-dollar synagogues / churches / temples / mosques / shrines to my noodly goodness when the money could be better spent (take your pick):
    • Ending poverty
    • Curing diseases
    • Living in peace, loving with passion, and lowering the cost of cable
      I might be a complex-carbohydrate omniscient being, but I enjoy the simple things in life. I ought to know. I AM the creator.

[*]I'd really rather you didn't go around telling people I talk to you. You're not that interesting. Get over yourself. And I told you to love your fellow man, can't you take a hint?

[*]I'd really rather you didn't do unto others as you would have them do unto you if you are into, um, stuff that uses a lot of leather/lubricant/vaseline. If the other person is into it, however (pursuant to #4), then have at it, take pictures, and for the love of Mike, wear a CONDOM! Honestly, it's a piece of rubber. If I didn't want it to feel good when you did it I would have added spikes, or something.

Edited by desertrat