Honda Xr400 Super Motard

Desertexile

You don't say where you are but there's one currently in Chiang Mai Motocross - 1998, white, 440 conversion, FCR carb, One industries seat and they want 130K for it unplated (but that can be sorted). I have the same bike and put a 440 kit into it and a Mikuni pumper carb and boy, she rips! If interested, the guy who runs CM MX is khun Nair and his number is 0817965991 and he speaks great English.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Thanks Gents

I may as well go for a drz400!

I am in Rayong.

Looking for a new one or nearly new with green book.

Any ideas?

Cheers

There is a nice black one in the shop just off pattaya klang and third road,also keep going on the way to jomtien on road 3 and as you get to the flyover just on the left is another shop ( hes called joe ) that has 2 or 3 always,. direct japan imports, i do know the black one has a book,.the xr400 is/was a good bike but a bit long in the tooth now and i think for the extra the drz is the better buy,.

the xr400 is/was a good bike but a bit long in the tooth now and i think for the extra the drz is the better buy,.

Horses for courses Eggy! I know we are talking about motards but the basics are the same. I've a mate with a DRz and he recently wiped out one of his radiators by falling into a rut - luckily he was near to civilization. Plus points though are watercooling (if you don't smack the rad) and a BIG plus esp offroad is the "magic button" electric start. In the XR's favour is low-end torque (the DRz is a bit of a revver), Honda build quality & general robustness, ease of maintenance and costs to run. Against it is that it's low-tech and bloody kickstart only (I'm talking about the XR400R enduro model).

If I had to choose between the XR and DRz motards, I'd go for the DRz, but offroad it would be the other way round. Either way, I hope the OP enjoys his ride once he sources it! :o

Cheers,

Pikey.

the xr400 is/was a good bike but a bit long in the tooth now and i think for the extra the drz is the better buy,.

Horses for courses Eggy! I know we are talking about motards but the basics are the same. I've a mate with a DRz and he recently wiped out one of his radiators by falling into a rut - luckily he was near to civilization. Plus points though are watercooling (if you don't smack the rad) and a BIG plus esp offroad is the "magic button" electric start. In the XR's favour is low-end torque (the DRz is a bit of a revver), Honda build quality & general robustness, ease of maintenance and costs to run. Against it is that it's low-tech and bloody kickstart only (I'm talking about the XR400R enduro model).

If I had to choose between the XR and DRz motards, I'd go for the DRz, but offroad it would be the other way round. Either way, I hope the OP enjoys his ride once he sources it! :o

Cheers,

Pikey.

I know what you are saying,i ran an xr650r here for 3 years, prior to that i had an xr400,even though the 650 was the newer bike it was heavy and when hot a pig to start,wouldnt matter a toss on the road but in knarly trails in cambodia was hard work,super motard is a different ball game, the drz seems to be the choice in thailand as thats all there is in japan for the thais to import, id rather have a wr450 or crf450x than the drz,but rare here,.we had a rough 8 day ride in the wet in cambodia and i ran my xr400 out of oil,..it just stopped like it was out of fuel ( which i thought it was )after checking spark and fuel and finding out there was both we dipped the oil, NONE ,. after putting in a litre and kicking it through it started first kick with no rattles or smoke, only honda could build an engine that way, most would have blew to peices "!

Cheers,

Pikey.

I know what you are saying,i ran an xr650r here for 3 years, prior to that i had an xr400,even though the 650 was the newer bike it was heavy and when hot a pig to start,wouldnt matter a toss on the road but in knarly trails in cambodia was hard work,super motard is a different ball game, the drz seems to be the choice in thailand as thats all there is in japan for the thais to import, id rather have a wr450 or crf450x than the drz,but rare here,.we had a rough 8 day ride in the wet in cambodia and i ran my xr400 out of oil,..it just stopped like it was out of fuel ( which i thought it was )after checking spark and fuel and finding out there was both we dipped the oil, NONE ,. after putting in a litre and kicking it through it started first kick with no rattles or smoke, only honda could build an engine that way, most would have blew to peices "!

I was tempted by the XR650R but like you say, it's probably too heavy for the trail stuff we have here in SEA. I understand it to be more of a flat out desert racer. Honda do currently make an XR400SM, certainly for the Aussie market as a mate in Phuket has one. I reckon that it's an XR250 with USD forks e.t.c and the 400 engine. I don't know why Honda discontinued the XR400R as the CRFs are not exactly maintenance free are they! Amazing testimonial about you running out of oil and proves what I was saying about robustness. If you are ever in CNX, drop me a PM.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Cheers,

Pikey.

I was tempted by the XR650R but like you say, it's probably too heavy for the trail stuff we have here in SEA. I understand it to be more of a flat out desert racer. Honda do currently make an XR400SM, certainly for the Aussie market as a mate in Phuket has one. I reckon that it's an XR250 with USD forks e.t.c and the 400 engine. I don't know why Honda discontinued the XR400R as the CRFs are not exactly maintenance free are they! Amazing testimonial about you running out of oil and proves what I was saying about robustness. If you are ever in CNX, drop me a PM.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Gents

Any ideas where I can get a new or nearly new drz?

Cheers

Cheers,

Pikey.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Gents

Any ideas where I can get a new or nearly new drz?

Cheers

joe, pattata road three, on the way to jomtien near the flyover on the left, he has stock

• 1 month later...

I got a xr650r and I dont undestand what the fuzz about the weight is. Its 10 kg heavier than the xr400 which is nothing.

Versus that it is a 10 times bike compared to the 400. I got an Edelbrock pumper carb on it and it starts as easy as a moped.