Flying Out Of Thailand

After a domestic flight landing in Suvarnabhum, the need to find the way to the international departure side of the airport is a question. From what I see there are shuttle buses available, but I am just not sure of which bus number to take or if there is another way to get from domestic side to international side.

Then with the currency exchange at presant, I am not certain how much Thai baht I can exchange to U.S. dollars at the airport.

So being up against finding the way to where I need to obtain my e tickets from airline and to departure terminal, then as I remember there is a fee for leaving Thailand. Is that fee still 500 baht?

Any good advice is welcomed.

After a domestic flight landing in Suvarnabhum, the need to find the way to the international departure side of the airport is a question. From what I see there are shuttle buses available, but I am just not sure of which bus number to take or if there is another way to get from domestic side to international side.

Mac says: International and Domestic flights arrive and depart a the same terminal at Swampyboom, thus no bus involved. You'll get your checked bags at Arrivals, then go up a couple of floors to Departures, check the TV screens for your flight and check-in row number, and head there.

Then with the currency exchange at presant, I am not certain how much Thai baht I can exchange to U.S. dollars at the airport.

Mac says: No idea, but should be in the many 1,000s. If like a million, you'd have problems.

So being up against finding the way to where I need to obtain my e tickets from airline and to departure terminal, then as I remember there is a fee for leaving Thailand. Is that fee still 500 baht?

Mac says: "E-ticket?" You don't already have that? Would have thought your airline out of Thailand would have already provided you with this for download and printing. Do you at least have the "reference" number? Had a Norwegian friend who had only this which worked OK at check-in. And, yes, the departure tax is still baht 500 BUT it is supposed to be paid by the airline and included in your ticket price, therefore no need to pay separately at a kiosk.

Thanks,

Yes I have the e ticket, I suppose that I just need to find my check in row number to obtain the paper tickets.

Very interesting, never new anything about the departure fee being included with my flight ticket purchase.

Thanks for the input burimac.

Thanks,

Yes I have the e ticket, I suppose that I just need to find my check in row number to obtain the paper tickets.

Very interesting, never new anything about the departure fee being included with my flight ticket purchase.

Thanks for the input burimac.

If you have an E ticket, there is no more "paper ticket" . The E ticket is the only piece of paper you will need. ( passport too of course) Departure fee is included in the ticket price.

After a domestic flight landing in Suvarnabhum, the need to find the way to the international departure side....
When you exit the domestic arrivals look to your left, most of the airport terminal is there - can't miss it, you are on level 2, next level up is level 3 for over priced food etc. above that level 4 for departures. Suggest you proceed there and sort out your onward ticket - all signs in English/Thai. Difficult to get lost.

Find out if your luggage is checked through to final destination or if you need to walk it through yourself, probably wise to do this when you check-in for the domestic leg!

Is that fee still 500 baht?
Very unlikely that you have not already paid this.
Any good advice is welcomed.
Once you have checked in for your onward flight on the 4th floor - take the elevator down to level one at the North end of the concourse (keep the windows on your right and walk until you smell food) is a coupon food hall - about 80% cheaper than the rip off prices charged on the 3rd floor.

[quote name='Cuban' date='2008-09-06 11:39:59' post='2196490'Once you have checked in for your onward flight on the 4th floor - take the elevator down to level one at the North end of the concourse (keep the windows on your right and walk until you smell food) is a coupon food hall - about 80% cheaper than the rip off prices charged on the 3rd floor.

You can go to this food court but understand that it is land-side so you'll still have to clear Immigration (get stamped out of Thailand on level 4), and then a security check-point before descending down to the departure gate on level 2, so give yourself plenty of time. There are some reasonably priced food outlets airside after you clear Immigration.

Arriving BKK go up two levels to level 4. There are large displays which allow you to find your check-in counter by matching your airline to the counter letter. Check-in counters are labeled A - Z, left to right if facing the building from the outside.

You can go to this food court but understand that it is land-side so you'll still have to clear Immigration (get stamped out of Thailand on level 4), and then a security check-point before descending down to the departure gate on level 2, so give yourself plenty of time. There are some reasonably priced food outlets airside after you clear Immigration.

Indeed the 1st floor food court is landside. The OP stated...."After a domestic flight landing in Suvarnabhum, the need to find the way to the international departure side of the airport is a question." As they are arriving from within Thailand they do not go through any passport or immigration controls and are already 'landside'.

The point I was making, perhaps less than crystal clear, is that: After checking in for the international flight 4th floor & landside, the OP can feed cheaply in the food court 1st floor & landside, then return to the 4th floor, get stamped out of the country, and collect duty free etc. en route to the departure gate.

From the question I assume that the OP is not a frequent flyer so probably will not be rushing to the free bar in the TG (or other) lounge. I think you will notice my comment came as a response to the OPs request "Any good advice is welcomed." :o

HTH.

Indeed the 1st floor food court is landside. The OP stated...."After a domestic flight landing in Suvarnabhum, the need to find the way to the international departure side of the airport is a question." As they are arriving from within Thailand they do not go through any passport or immigration controls and are already 'landside'.

The point I was making, perhaps less than crystal clear, is that: After checking in for the international flight 4th floor & landside, the OP can feed cheaply in the food court 1st floor & landside, then return to the 4th floor, get stamped out of the country, and collect duty free etc. en route to the departure gate.

From the question I assume that the OP is not a frequent flyer so probably will not be rushing to the free bar in the TG (or other) lounge. I think you will notice my comment came as a response to the OPs request "Any good advice is welcomed." :o

HTH.

Your point was quite clear, as was mine, "so give yourself plenty of time" if you need to go to this food court as you will still have to clear Immigration, and security.

I'd hate to hear that the OP missed their flight just to get some relatively inexpensive food. For an inexperienced traveler I might suggest they clear Immigration first, as the lines might be long, and familiarize yourself with the layout and the general location of your departure gate, then worry about finding food.

And, yes, the departure tax is still baht 500 BUT it is supposed to be paid by the airline and included in your ticket price, therefore no need to pay separately at a kiosk.

The departure tax was raised to 700 baht at the same time it began to be included in the ticket price.

HTH.

Dont buy liquid Duty Free. If you do you wont have it for long.

Towards the end of your e-ticket there should be a table showing what you paid: fare, taxes/fees/charges, and total. On my ticket for a flight from Switzerland to Bangkok and back the section taxes/fees/charges looks like this:

post-21260-1220733452_thumb.png

The amount followed by “TS” is the Thai airport fee of 700 Baht. YR are the fuel surcharges, CH the Swiss airport fees.

--

Maestro

The new airport seems to be laid out good. No buses from domestic to internarional, just elevators.. and with visble signs in English.

Thailand is a head twister as far as "what to do?"

7oo baht, oh? !!! You are most likely on the money.

I have a reply from Orbitz customer service and this is it (yesterday).....

Thank you for contacting Orbitz.

I understand that you want to know if the cost for your flight includes

the departure fee.

Please be advised that on the flight cost, U.S. or international

departure and arrival charges of up to $200.00 USD may apply, depending

upon the itinerary chosen.

Most countries include the country's departure tax in the price of the

airline ticket you buy. Unfortunately, Thailand isn't one of those

countries. You need to remember to put aside 500 baht (per person) for

the departure tax. As soon as you check in-there will be kiosks, where

you can pay the money to a person or use the machine.

:o:D

I'd hate to hear that the OP missed their flight just to get some relatively inexpensive food. For an inexperienced traveler I might suggest they clear Immigration first, as the lines might be long, and familiarize yourself with the layout and the general location of your departure gate, then worry about finding food... Quote: iomatopo

Thanks.

All of the inputs have been good.

My e ticket doesn't have taxes/fees/charges but just one lump sum indicating that taxes are included with airfare. No TS. Thanks.

Not 100% correct. This applies to US carriers for sure and maybe some others with US destinations.

If you are flying a US carrier, you won't be permitted to take liquids onboard. However, the King Power sales staff will ask what flight you are on and if your carrier prohibits liquid carry-on, they will tell you and stop you purchasing. My experience!

Edited by NanLaew

Not 100% correct. This applies to US carriers for sure and maybe some others with US destinations.

If you are flying a US carrier, you won't be permitted to take liquids onboard. However, the King Power sales staff will ask what flight you are on and if your carrier prohibits liquid carry-on, they will tell you and stop you purchasing. My experience!

What a bunch of confused informant nitpickers , even Orbitz could not get the airport tax correct in Thai Baht , all the OP wanted was some 'iNFORMED' INPUT , SHEEEEZ

I am certain Orbitz included the AoT service charge, aka departure tax, of 700 THB when the ticket was issued and paid for by the OP. However, in the extremely unlikely event that it was not included it would be collected by the airline upon check-in. In this case you could pay with a credit card.

The OP should be able to log in to Orbitz to review the details of the ticket including the individual line items (base fare, tax, service charge, fee, fuel surcharge, etc.). The OP could also contact the carrier operating the flight out of BKK to confirm payment of the airport service charge. That airline will have a different record locator/PNR than the one used by Orbitz, so just give your name, flight number and travel date and they can look up your record.

Can the OP share the itinerary? Carriers and flight numbers only, no need for dates. This might help refine some recommendations.

You need to remember to put aside 500 baht (per person) for the departure tax. As soon as you check in-there will be kiosks, where you can pay the money to a person or use the machine.

= bullshÍt²! no such thing sind 1½ years :o

I am certain Orbitz included the AoT service charge, aka departure tax, of 700 THB when the ticket was issued and paid for by the OP. However, in the extremely unlikely event that it was not included it would be collected by the airline upon check-in. In this case you could pay with a credit card.

If the OP is flying Thai Airways, then, no, the departure tax cannot be paid via a credit card. Last year I flew a round trip on Thai using a paper ticket that was hand filled out by the check in staff at LAX. I was either not charged the departure fee for the BKK-LAX leg, or (more likely) they forgot to list the TS tax on the ticket. When checking in at BKK for my return flight, they sent me to the Thai ticket office to purchase a departure tax voucher for 700 baht. Cash only!

Yes crazy it is.

Orbitz says "departure tax is not covered" - Expat flyers insist it ought to be!

So I phoned Qantas Airways in Bangkok. They took the airline record locator for Qantas that is on the Orbitz e ticket (no mention of flight number) but just my name and I opened my coversation with them in regard to the flight date on ticket.

They said that the 700 baht departure fee is covered with my purchase of the ticket.

Let's hope so, I am not taking any Thai baht on the way to departure and no credit card. And the TS tax is not listed anywhere on the e ticket?

I checked the airport map, looks like Burger King on level 4.

But I could use a few shots, after 3 years of back and forth in the Thailand scene all I have had is puzzles to figure out. Puzzles that take weeks, months and years to find the way through. And then, if not at a dead end of the maze, things change. And I am sure this will all tag on for the rest of my life one way or another.

I think I am just beginning to see why so many falangs are found laying dead drunk on a street in Pataya somewhere.

SMILE :o

• 2 weeks later...
You need to remember to put aside 500 baht (per person) for the departure tax. As soon as you check in-there will be kiosks, where you can pay the money to a person or use the machine.

= bullshÍt²! no such thing sind 1½ years :o

never had to pay it since 2006.

But I could use a few shots, after 3 years of back and forth in the Thailand scene all I have had is puzzles to figure out. Puzzles that take weeks, months and years to find the way through. And then, if not at a dead end of the maze, things change. And I am sure this will all tag on for the rest of my life one way or another.

But then you hadn't found the mighty informative power of over 75,000(?) ThaiVisa members.

Just ask!

May all your problems be little ones.

I have a reply from Orbitz customer service and this is it (yesterday).....

Thank you for contacting Orbitz.

I understand that you want to know if the cost for your flight includes

the departure fee.

Please be advised that on the flight cost, U.S. or international

departure and arrival charges of up to $200.00 USD may apply, depending

upon the itinerary chosen.

Most countries include the country's departure tax in the price of the

airline ticket you buy. Unfortunately, Thailand isn't one of those

countries. You need to remember to put aside 500 baht (per person) for

the departure tax. As soon as you check in-there will be kiosks, where

you can pay the money to a person or use the machine.

:o:D

Orbitz are a bunch of idiots because they can't get their act togheter.

Jeez, they sell airline tickets and don't know the Thailand airport tax machines and counters are longtime history? :D

Some worries you got in to for airport tax because of the incompetence of these people and they even aren't Thai!

Edited by tartempion

I'm sure not Thai??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????!

They work in the U.S. Embassy- ask a question??? Get a probable answer??? Maybe this or maybe that! Take a choice.

All becomes obvious, nobody knows for sure :o , a smile can cover the weight of any enormous difficulty if you can still have a smile?

I actually like it here very much and I'm not looking forward to leaving.

Now the wife says don't go outside the airport to smoke, don't drink anything not sealed in a bottle, don't depend on the airport staff for help they are corrupt, don't talk with strangers at all, the airport is too big to support security for you and there are not enough of cameras, hold on to your luggage.

I said just give me a break! I don't even have anything worth stealing.

Another of the same old same old today, they need 8000 baht and I have to help.

If my problems were little, I would stay. But as many and as big as they are, I have to consider them little. Then they will be little.

A little much :D

I'll be back......

I'm sure not Thai??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????!

They work in the U.S. Embassy- ask a question??? Get a probable answer??? Maybe this or maybe that! Take a choice.

All becomes obvious, nobody knows for sure :D , a smile can cover the weight of any enormous difficulty if you can still have a smile?

I actually like it here very much and I'm not looking forward to leaving.

Now the wife says don't go outside the airport to smoke, don't drink anything not sealed in a bottle, don't depend on the airport staff for help they are corrupt, don't talk with strangers at all, the airport is too big to support security for you and there are not enough of cameras, hold on to your luggage.

I said just give me a break! I don't even have anything worth stealing.

Another of the same old same old today, they need 8000 baht and I have to help.

If my problems were little, I would stay. But as many and as big as they are, I have to consider them little. Then they will be little.

A little much :D

I'll be back......

Take the 8000 with you. :o

I must say extremely difficult i.e. the money thing.

Later.

Can I ask this here - 2 things:

About the airport - Is there a smoking lounge in the departure on 4th floor or has smoking been banned inside the building.

I have just checked the London airport where I make connection and there is NO SMOKING by law inside the terminal buildings. I would have taken a different route had I known.

Not about airport, but when I come onto the forum I am automatically logged in. What setting can I change this feature on? I would like to log in and out manually using my pin.

About the airport - Is there a smoking lounge in the departure on 4th floor or has smoking been banned inside the building.

I have just checked the London airport where I make connection and there is NO SMOKING by law inside the terminal buildings. I would have taken a different route had I known.

Yes, there are a number of smoking rooms on Level 2 I think it is (4 is the Duty Free shops, 3 has some shops, lounges and Transfers desks, 2 has smoking rooms by the "walk-a-lators" leading off towards the departure gates)

Also, each "wing" (i.e. "D Wing" where gates D1-D6 are located, has a smoking room located at the back end of the first gate (D1, E1, F1 etc). It seems these gates aren't used as often (never see passengers in them). There are bathrooms back there as well, and rarely crowded

Not about airport, but when I come onto the forum I am automatically logged in. What setting can I change this feature on? I would like to log in and out manually using my pin.

Look at the top left side of the page. Squeezed in there is a line that says: Logged in as: (your name) ( Log Out )

Click on the "Log Out" when you are ready to leave.

Next time you log in, on that same line (but in the center of the page) should be the line: Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Now, when you click on Log In, the next page has two options on the right side of where you enter your name and password. If the box beside "Remember Me" is checked, uncheck it.

That way it won't automatically log you in every time.