Deleting A Partition

Jockstar

I have a partition on my pc that i created a while back. I thought when i reinstalled XP the last time i could just overwrite stuff automatically. But no. Anyway. I would like to get rid of the partition.(40 GIGS) 99% Free space. Not too arsed about whats on it(if anything) getting erased. But is there an easy FREE way to do this? Thanks in advance.

I use GParted Live CD. http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Great for deleting, creating and resizing Partitions.

I have a partition on my pc that i created a while back. I thought when i reinstalled XP the last time i could just overwrite stuff automatically. But no. Anyway. I would like to get rid of the partition.(40 GIGS) 99% Free space. Not too arsed about whats on it(if anything) getting erased. But is there an easy FREE way to do this? Thanks in advance.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

How to delete a partition or a logical drive

To delete a partition or logical drive:

1. In the Disk Management window, right-click the partition or logical drive that you want to delete, and then click Delete Partition or Delete Logical Drive.

2. Click Yes when you are prompted to delete the partition or logical drive. The partition or logical drive is deleted.

Important

• When you delete a partition or a logical drive, all the data on that partition or logical drive, and the partition or the logical drive, are deleted.

• You cannot delete the system partition, boot partition, or a partition that contains the active paging (swap) file.

• You cannot delete an extended partition unless the extended partition is empty. All logical drives in the extended partition must be deleted before you can delete the extended partition.

Any others?

GParted should do the job for you but if you don't trust Open Source to do the job then the alternative is Partition Magic (have to pay though). I'm assuming what you wish to do is to add that 40GB back to your main partition so end up with one large partition? That is, for example, you have 80GB as your main OS partition and 40GB 2nd partition and wish to have a 120GB single partition?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

How to delete a partition or a logical drive

To delete a partition or logical drive:

1. In the Disk Management window, right-click the partition or logical drive that you want to delete, and then click Delete Partition or Delete Logical Drive.

2. Click Yes when you are prompted to delete the partition or logical drive. The partition or logical drive is deleted.

Important

• When you delete a partition or a logical drive, all the data on that partition or logical drive, and the partition or the logical drive, are deleted.

• You cannot delete the system partition, boot partition, or a partition that contains the active paging (swap) file.

• You cannot delete an extended partition unless the extended partition is empty. All logical drives in the extended partition must be deleted before you can delete the extended partition.

Does give me the option to delete.