Changing Router To Wireless

Rob5060

I have a TOT Broadband router connected to my computer and now have a laptop which is wireless.

Can I just buy a wireless router and plug it in allowing me to use the existing set up and my laptop as wireless

Probably a simple question to some but not for me

Cheers

I am going to assume that your current router is the "standard" modem/router combo provided by the ISPs here. One connection for phone line in and out connection for LAN out, where your computer plugs in.

There are a several approaches that you can take.

1) The simplest would be to buy a WiFi access point and plug it in to the modem/router in place of your computer. Then use your laptop wireless to connect to the access point.

2) To expand this further, you could also buy a hub or switch. One cable between the hub and the router, another cable between the hub and the access point. Now you can connect wired or wireless without having to swap any cables around. This is the setup that I am using in my home.

3) Next, you could buy a wireless router, connect that to your existing modem. Now you have the option of wired or wireless as in option 2 above. There is a bit more configuration to do, but it is not difficult.

4) You can buy a modem/wireless router combo. This would replace your existing modem/router, thus the modem/WAN side would need to be configured the same as your existing. Now you have the same connectivity options as option 2 or option 3 above, with the added simplicity of only having one network component.

You can also do as nidge suggested, get the Apple airport. I have not seen that one yet, but one of my colleagues really likes his. This would be similar to my option 1, with a couple additional neat features, such as a print server.

I would suggest that you either do 1 or 2 above. Those would be the simplest for you to set up, and likely the least cost as well.

Good luck.

Edit: had to correct an assumption re: features of Airport Express

Edited by mgjackson69

I am going to assume that your current router is the "standard" modem/router combo provided by the ISPs here. One connection for phone line in and out connection for LAN out, where your computer plugs in.

There are a several approaches that you can take.

1) The simplest would be to buy a WiFi access point and plug it in to the modem/router in place of your computer. Then use your laptop wireless to connect to the access point.

2) To expand this further, you could also buy a hub or switch. One cable between the hub and the router, another cable between the hub and the access point. Now you can connect wired or wireless without having to swap any cables around. This is the setup that I am using in my home.

3) Next, you could buy a wireless router, connect that to your existing modem. Now you have the option of wired or wireless as in option 2 above. There is a bit more configuration to do, but it is not difficult.

4) You can buy a modem/wireless router combo. This would replace your existing modem/router, thus the modem/WAN side would need to be configured the same as your existing. Now you have the same connectivity options as option 2 or option 3 above, with the added simplicity of only having one network component.

You can also do as nidge suggested, get the Apple airport. I have not seen that one yet, but one of my colleagues really likes his. This would be similar to my option 1, with a couple additional neat features, such as a print server.

I would suggest that you either do 1 or 2 above. Those would be the simplest for you to set up, and likely the least cost as well.

Good luck.

Edit: had to correct an assumption re: features of Airport Express

Great information, my question is my wife just signed up for a TOT ADSL 512 package and has been given a "Billion" BiPAC 5210S Dual-Port ADSL2+ Modem/Router. It has a LAN and USB connector. Can you advise if I need a hub or switch to connect a wireless access point or if I can connect my descktop via the LAN connector and the wireless access point via the USB ?.

Your comments would be appreciated.

I did this, and it works just great, but can anyone advise me how to make the wireless side of it secure so that it cannot be used by others? Thank you.

You just need to go into your wireless router settings....and configure router security... Each brand handles that a little differently, but you can often get to the settings thru the router software installed on your PC, or by using a web browser and typing in the router's IP address... typically like http://198.xxx.xx.xx. You can check the Internet or your documentation to find the correct IP address for your router brand.

The simplest and most commonly used wireless security is called WEP.... It basically involves selecting a 10-digit number as your router password.

Then, whenever any wireless device wants to use your wireless connection for the first time, you'll be prompted and need to enter that same 10-digit number on the wireless device in order to gain access. Anyone who does not do that is locked out of your wireless network.

When you view your connection under Wireless Networks, it will say "Security Enabled" and have a padlock symbol indicating it's not an open connection and requires the password to connect.

Be sure to change the password on your admin user to something other than the default. Seems simple, but it is amazing how many people do not.

In my ex-wife's neighborhood, there are four wireless networks visible. Hers is the only one that is secured. Of the others, I was someone might be able to connect to all three and log in to the admin GUIs.

Depending upon the capabilities of your router, you might also be able to set up a list of allowed or disallowed computers.