So Where's The World Famous Tourist Destination They Keep Talking About?

thaibeachlovers

Went for a stroll along 3rd Rd. from North Rd. to South Rd. and there's not much evidence of anything world class, unless an average Thai town is a top tourist destination. So all there is are a few resorts in a strip between Beach and 2nd Rd. and a broken down beach walk. Talk about trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear!

Mind you, it was interesting to see how built up it has become, as I was here when they built it through empty scrubland. I thought at the time that it was too narrow, but it doesn't seem to be a problem at present.

Before I went out, was watching a show on telly about the Egyptian resort towns of Hurguda and Sharm el Sheik. Now those are resort towns, and I hope Pattaya never ever gets as awful as them. Huge hotels with thousands of cheap package tourists, jam packed beaches and hundreds of dive boats destroying every reef in the Red Sea.

Went for a stroll along 3rd Rd. from North Rd. to South Rd. and there's not much evidence of anything world class, unless an average Thai town is a top tourist destination. So all there is are a few resorts in a strip between Beach and 2nd Rd. and a broken down beach walk. Talk about trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear!

Mind you, it was interesting to see how built up it has become, as I was here when they built it through empty scrubland. I thought at the time that it was too narrow, but it doesn't seem to be a problem at present.

Before I went out, was watching a show on telly about the Egyptian resort towns of Hurguda and Sharm el Sheik. Now those are resort towns, and I hope Pattaya never ever gets as awful as them. Huge hotels with thousands of cheap package tourists, jam packed beaches and hundreds of dive boats destroying every reef in the Red Sea.

Riveting !!!

World famous?

The beaches are filthy and it is a health risk in the extreme to go in the sea.

Shopping malls get crowded in the day as there is free air con and nothing else to do.....

The only thing 'world famous' in Pattaya is the number of "entertainment" places which runs into thousands.

Edited by R123

big difference in meanings, world famous and world class. For those of us who actually live here, neither of them mean anything. However, the reasons for Pattaya being world famous may be slightly below the world class benchmarks (or maybe a long way below)

The world famous S-X Tourist destination was the same one that you visited.

It's shabby, Polluted, Crime is rampant, you can find the dregs of many western countries residing there, the traffic is horrendous, but it has one thing going for it, and that's why it's so popular.

Take that away, and how many so called tourists would venture to Pattaya ?

2, 3, 4, 6, if it's such a boring post, why were you compelled to answer? Wouldn't it have been easier to just hit return!

Your post is critical of Pattaya yet you insist on coming here from the UK year by year .What gives ?

My post is not critical of Pattaya itself, just of the idea that certain persons would like to portray Pattaya as a TOP WORLD CLASS tourist resort, which is frankly ludicrous to anyone that has been to a real top world class tourist resort.

I myself love Pattaya, and have been coming for many many years, and hopefully will continue to visit for many years to come.

I think Mayor Itipon has big plans for Pattaya, and the naughty side of town is not part of it! Lets just say some people are living on borrowed time!

I'd guess you're fairly new to the "fair" city. I first arrived back in '92 and the talk then was all of the council clearing all the beer bars off beach road and demolishing the illegal buildings on the beach side of what is now walking street.

Here we are 16 years on and what has happened? Well there are more beer bars on beach road now than then and the buildings in walking street are still there.

So it would appear that the "borrowed time" must be on at least a 99 year lease. :o

My post is not critical of Pattaya itself, just of the idea that certain persons would like to portray Pattaya as a TOP WORLD CLASS tourist resort, which is frankly ludicrous to anyone that has been to a real top world class tourist resort.

frankly ludicrous is your claim that anybody might have said Pattaya is a top world class tourist resort. now go and throw cotton balls at little old ladies passing by :o

It's shabby, Polluted, Crime is rampant, you can find the dregs of many western countries residing there, the traffic is horrendous, but it has one thing going for it, and that's why it's so popular.

Y'all got any gums left?

Ahhh, be it ever so humble, there's no place like home ! :D

Oh yeah, who EVER said that a "World Class" city HAD to have "World Class" attractions on EVERY street in the city ? :o

#3 Road has NEVER been considered a "tourist" area, so why the h3ll would you expect "World Class" attractions there ? :D

Y'all got any gums left?

Sorry mate, I don't get it.

Y'all got any gums left ?

Can you kindly explain that in English English.

Can I presume you disagree with my post ?

If so, can you tell me what points you disagree with .

Edited by Maigo6