Bittorrent Users And Other Hogs At The Internet Trough

Mapguy

YES! You "A" holes quit hogging the Internet. If you continue to hog the Internet please do so without telling anyone because I DON'T want to know that you have good service. My service sucks and I get jealous.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mapguy,

Get a life. When I download it is done during the wee hours of the morning when everybody is sleeping. For your info I only download movies periodically, I mostly download UK series like Top Gear, Fifth Gear & the soaps of course. So unless you know another way that I can watch UK TV bleep, bleep, bleep......

Mapguy probably doesn't want to tell you as it uses a bit of bandwith, but fortunately I do :o

Install on your pc "your freedom" . Log in on a UK server and install "Zattoo" . If your connection is good enough, you can watch your most favorite channels Beeb, Beeb, Beeb,.....(Same same for German and French users)

<Marcus,

Just downloaded Zattoo (you have to do it in the order Marcus describes or you end up having to delete your cookies) and got your freedom up and running no problem.

But all I'm getting is there are no channels currently available.

Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

Cheers

So the bottom line is that you get what you pay for. If you use internet only for checking your mail and sanook.com, these basic packages are your thing. If you are like me, watching almost every day a movie and transmitting my home TV to Thailand using a Slingbox, then you should consider to spend some extra baht.

@ Marcus,

I'm interested in the Slingbox as well. Does it work smooth? What is the minimum bandwidth needed? Is a 2Mbit line sufficient? And how about the upload speed? What speed is required for smooth streaming?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

correct! that someone is a little goat which has no idea what it is talking about. the Dedicated Subscriber Line means nothing else than "dedicated" till the next node. after that each and everything is shared (according to the whims respectively technical setup of the ISP and of course the traffic which has to go through a wellknown bottleneck from Thailand outbound) :D

ADSL

Wrong D.

:o

i stand corrected, mixed it up with a connection i have in another country which is a symmetric DEDICATED Subscriber Line.

Mapguy,

Get a life. When I download it is done during the wee hours of the morning when everybody is sleeping. For your info I only download movies periodically, I mostly download UK series like Top Gear, Fifth Gear & the soaps of course. So unless you know another way that I can watch UK TV bleep, bleep, bleep......

Mapguy probably doesn't want to tell you as it uses a bit of bandwith, but fortunately I do :o

Install on your pc "your freedom" . Log in on a UK server and install "Zattoo" . If your connection is good enough, you can watch your most favorite channels Beeb, Beeb, Beeb,.....(Same same for German and French users)

<Marcus,

Just downloaded Zattoo (you have to do it in the order Marcus describes or you end up having to delete your cookies) and got your freedom up and running no problem.

Cheers

My guess is that you forgot to install Open VPN (it's on the download page of Your freedom) This program will force Zattoo or other applications to connect through Your Freedom. In Your Freedom, you have to adjust some settings for Open VPN too.

Without this, Zattoo will see that you are in Thailand, so no channels available. Connecting over a UK server however, Zattoo will think you are in the UK, and the channels over there will become available.

So the bottom line is that you get what you pay for. If you use internet only for checking your mail and sanook.com, these basic packages are your thing. If you are like me, watching almost every day a movie and transmitting my home TV to Thailand using a Slingbox, then you should consider to spend some extra baht.

@ Marcus,

I'm interested in the Slingbox as well. Does it work smooth? What is the minimum bandwidth needed? Is a 2Mbit line sufficient? And how about the upload speed? What speed is required for smooth streaming?

When the setup is done well, I'm able to watch on my LCD TV in a pretty good quality. Don't expect HDTV with the internet in Thailand, just reasonable quality.

The most important is the upload at home. The more the better ! Some people are happy with an upload speed of 512 Kb, but for me 1Mb up is the minimum. Keep in mind that due to the distance and other factors, you will lose some bandwith anyway. My upload of 1 Mb at home results in a stream of approx 700 kbps in Thailand.

In Thailand, your (real) download should be at least the same as your real upload at home, so a 2Mb line should normally do the job, unless you have fiber at home ;-)

Mapguy,

<Marcus,

Cheers

My guess is that you forgot to install Open VPN (it's on the download page of Your freedom) This program will force Zattoo or other applications to connect through Your Freedom. In Your Freedom, you have to adjust some settings for Open VPN too.

Without this, Zattoo will see that you are in Thailand, so no channels available. Connecting over a UK server however, Zattoo will think you are in the UK, and the channels over there will become available.

WoooHooo!

Thanks.

Its working!!!!!!!!

Thanks again.

Hey Mapguy.... I find that when I am driving in LOS it takes me too dam_n long to get anywhere. Would you please pull over (or at least in the left hand lane) and let me by? In fact why don't you all get off the freakin roads so I can get to my destination.... :o

correct! that someone is a little goat which has no idea what it is talking about. the Dedicated Subscriber Line means nothing else than "dedicated" till the next node. after that each and everything is shared (according to the whims respectively technical setup of the ISP and of course the traffic which has to go through a wellknown bottleneck from Thailand outbound) :D

ADSL

Wrong D.

:o

i stand corrected, mixed it up with a connection i have in another country which is a symmetric DEDICATED Subscriber Line.

not SDSL then ?

Funny how people claim that Internet isn't shared. Have you studied how it really works?

It might not be shared between you and the DSL node, but EVERYWHERE else between the node you connect to and the host you are connecting to is it considered shared.

Yes, you share the international gateway with millions of other people. You do NOT own your own 2 Mbit international connection.

There are so many people in this forum that get offended by a simple and sincere thread and reply with personal attacks and flames.

By all means, do continue to download your soaps or XXX movies, but don't resort to this kind of primitive debate please.

Get over yourselves guys and keep the tone polite.

Okay, the line from the DSLAM to your modem is not shared. It's a digital subscriber line which is indeed for 1 subscriber.

Now look a little bit further. From the DSLAM there's a connection to the ISP network. The PPP connection is not built up between the DSLAM and your router at home, but between a L2TP endpoint further up the ISP network and your router at home.

So while the 'last mile' is all for yourself, the rest of your PPP connection runs over that single line from the DSLAM to the endpoint, which bandwidth you share with all subscribers on that DSLAM.

ADSL or SDSL doesn't matter (that's just the line modulation), as long as your working with PPP you are sharing the total available bandwidth to the connected DSLAM with the rest of the subscribers on that DSLAM. And that's what contention ratio is all about - if the ISP does indeed advertise a 1:1 rate, you may expect the entire advertised bandwidth to be all for yourself. Percy2 obviously has such a line.

Petitechevre says the costs are nothing. What he forgets is that ISPs in Europe, America and other western countries already had a large infrastructure which allowed dial-in over the phone lines. ADSL was designed in such a way, that the exact same infrastructure could be used; the dial-in routers were more or less replaced by DSLAMs, the PPP endpoints didn't need any configuration changes (additional subscribers for xDSL are handled by a RADIUS server). Most houses already had a phoneline, which could be used for DSL.

Thailand never had these advantages, but had to build up everything from scratch on a nationwide scale, and the same goes for the knowledge of all engineers.

Nevertheless....... my apologies to those who think I don't know what I'm talking about. Then again, TV isn't a place where one has to prove knowledge.

Terribly sorry mapguy but you know what Thai television is like, hardly any English language shows, just tons of silly Thai soap operas. I only have a few more series torrents to download below and then I'm done.

'Allo 'Allo!

Third Rock From The Sun

6 0 Minutes

7th Heaven

A-Team

According To Jim

Adventures of Superman

After Youve Gone

Aida

Airwolf

Alias

Aliens In America

All My Children

America's Got Talent

America's Next Top Model

American Body Shop

American Chopper

American Dad

American Dreams

American Gladiators

American Idol

Americas Funniest Home Videos

Andromeda

Angel

Are You Smarter Than A 8 th Grader

Arrested Development

As The World Turns

Ashes to Ashes

:o did you start at "z" and work your way to "a" ?

My policy at home (shared house with two others)

Home when they are at work, so D/L with no guilt.

Pause all DL when I go to work (evenings) and start again when I get home as everybody's asleep.

It's all wonderfully accesible. There's no need to hog the bandwidth.

When I used to complain about the speed the answer was "Sorry, many kids play game." Now I guess they can add "many people download the movie"... oh them pesky customers... They not only want to be connected to the internet, but want to use it as well.

Now... if everyone only sent one email a day...

Why not switch to a Csloxinfo guaranteed bandwidth package that provides a constant 256 kbit/s or 512 kbit/s download?

This is really all that's required for Skype, e-mail, regular surfing and browsing, and it will be a lot more stable than the cheapo class 'high bandwidth' packages to boot. Better quality and lower contention ratios - and most line partners will not be heavy p2p users.

It's generally easier to change one's own situation than to make others change theirs.

@ Marcus,

When the setup is done well, I'm able to watch on my LCD TV in a pretty good quality. Don't expect HDTV with the internet in Thailand, just reasonable quality.

The most important is the upload at home. The more the better ! Some people are happy with an upload speed of 512 Kb, but for me 1Mb up is the minimum. Keep in mind that due to the distance and other factors, you will lose some bandwith anyway. My upload of 1 Mb at home results in a stream of approx 700 kbps in Thailand.

In Thailand, your (real) download should be at least the same as your real upload at home, so a 2Mb line should normally do the job, unless you have fiber at home ;-)

Thanks Marcus for your info.

I'm planning to put the Slingbox at my parents home in the Netherlands. They have a 20Mbit down/ 1Mbit up adsl connection, where the 20Mbit is really 20Mbit (well at least until the ISP, from there on of course depending on the other servers on the internet) and also the upload is stable. They are paying about 20 euro's for this connection which makes me quite jealous here in Thailand and my parents mainly use it for emailing and some surfing :D Okay, maybe we will get those speeds here in Thailand in the next 20 years orso. My cousin in the Netherlands has the same package and he downloads a DVD in about 20 or 30 minutes (Usenet :o )

I'm not looking for HD quality, but I want our Thai/Dutch daughter to teach Dutch as well and TV helps with that (don't get me wrong, I don't put her in front of the TV to learn Dutch). And of course I can watch some Dutch TV myself as well :D

Currently I applied for a new phone-line together with 2Mbit adsl from True and should get connected per today or tomorrow. If this 2Mbit is not enough I will upgrade to their 4Mbit package (they have also 5Mbit, but they told me at my site the max possible is about 4Mbit (depends on how far your are from the switchbox etc) , but first lets check this 2Mbit line.

Why not switch to a Csloxinfo guaranteed bandwidth package that provides a constant 256 kbit/s or 512 kbit/s download?

This is really all that's required for Skype, e-mail, regular surfing and browsing, and it will be a lot more stable than the cheapo class 'high bandwidth' packages to boot. Better quality and lower contention ratios - and most line partners will not be heavy p2p users.

It's generally easier to change one's own situation than to make others change theirs.

If you use the Csloxinfo guaranteed bandwidth package and connect to an international website you still would 'suffer' from the heavy p2p users, because you will share the same international connections. The quaranteed bandwidth is of course only from you until your ISP, that's it.

Anyway datatraffic on the internet will always be getting more and more (not only p2p, but also streaming video etc etc) and this is not stoppable. The same with the traffic. If the roads get too full, just makes some new roads. If the bandwidth on the international connections get too full, then this needs to be upgraded, but unfortunately Thailand is a little bit behind on this area.

Okay, the line from the DSLAM to your modem is not shared. It's a digital subscriber line which is indeed for 1 subscriber.

Now look a little bit further. From the DSLAM there's a connection to the ISP network. The PPP connection is not built up between the DSLAM and your router at home, but between a L2TP endpoint further up the ISP network and your router at home.

So while the 'last mile' is all for yourself, the rest of your PPP connection runs over that single line from the DSLAM to the endpoint, which bandwidth you share with all subscribers on that DSLAM.

ADSL or SDSL doesn't matter (that's just the line modulation), as long as your working with PPP you are sharing the total available bandwidth to the connected DSLAM with the rest of the subscribers on that DSLAM. And that's what contention ratio is all about - if the ISP does indeed advertise a 1:1 rate, you may expect the entire advertised bandwidth to be all for yourself. Percy2 obviously has such a line.

Petitechevre says the costs are nothing. What he forgets is that ISPs in Europe, America and other western countries already had a large infrastructure which allowed dial-in over the phone lines. ADSL was designed in such a way, that the exact same infrastructure could be used; the dial-in routers were more or less replaced by DSLAMs, the PPP endpoints didn't need any configuration changes (additional subscribers for xDSL are handled by a RADIUS server). Most houses already had a phoneline, which could be used for DSL.

Thailand never had these advantages, but had to build up everything from scratch on a nationwide scale, and the same goes for the knowledge of all engineers.

Nevertheless....... my apologies to those who think I don't know what I'm talking about. Then again, TV isn't a place where one has to prove knowledge.

To add on "the cost is nothing" from Petitechevre, he would be amazed how high the cost is for the majority of the traffic.

It's a simple fact that a very big part of the internet content is hosted in America, which unfortunately happens to be located at the other side of the globe.

Most Americans have blistering fast access along with low ping times for the simple fact that pretty much most of the content is hosted virtually intheir own back yard.

That big pipe going to the USA is hugely expensive to install and maintain. Too expensive to give each subscriber his own share. Remember the internet crippling cable breakage they had recently on the seabed.

Actually, I have several friends in the USA complaining bitterly that their European slingbox's are not streaming properly, while they were streaming perfectly in my Thai resort using an (admittedly expensive) CAT 2M/1M connection.

To add on "the cost is nothing" from Petitechevre, he would be amazed how high the cost is for the majority of the traffic.

It's a simple fact that a very big part of the internet content is hosted in America, which unfortunately happens to be located at the other side of the globe.

Most Americans have blistering fast access along with low ping times for the simple fact that pretty much most of the content is hosted virtually intheir own back yard.

That big pipe going to the USA is hugely expensive to install and maintain. Too expensive to give each subscriber his own share. Remember the internet crippling cable breakage they had recently on the seabed.

Actually, I have several friends in the USA complaining bitterly that their European slingbox's are not streaming properly, while they were streaming perfectly in my Thai resort using an (admittedly expensive) CAT 2M/1M connection.

You're not serious about Americans having blistering fast access are you? Few of us have (had) better than 3 mb with 384 kb up. Among the industrialised nations, the USA consistently ranks in the lower tier as far as broadband penetration goes. And that's even being generous since the US rates even ISDN (128 kb/s) as broadband.

I will allow that ping times are unreal though.

Ive deleted a derogatory post, and replies to that post.

member who posted derogatory remark has been given an official warning.

anyone else who chooses to do so will be dealt with the same way, possibly with added bonus of suspension

your choice :o

MiG (moderating)