Names.

alleykat

I have been noticing more of late that a lot of Thais don't know the real names of their colleagues, friends etc, even some of their relatives. Most of them only know their nicknames.

When I had to complete some visa forms recently I was surprised that my wife didn't know her sister's married surname, or even her mother's maiden name.

Another example, many times I've read about a crime in the newspapers and it will read; "... the suspect, only known as Lek..."

Not sure if its the same for all expats but back in my home country we knew the full names of most of our classmates, friends, workmates, even some neighbours.

Anyone care to expand on this?

I have been noticing more of late that a lot of Thais don't know the real names of their colleagues, friends etc, even some of their relatives. Most of them only know their nicknames.

When I had to complete some visa forms recently I was surprised that my wife didn't know her sister's married surname, or even her mother's maiden name.

Another example, many times I've read about a crime in the newspapers and it will read; "... the suspect, only known as Lek..."

Not sure if its the same for all expats but back in my home country we knew the full names of most of our classmates, friends, workmates, even some neighbours.

Anyone care to expand on this?

:o Perhaps someone with more detailed knowledge of that point can enlighten me as to why. But it is a fact that most Thais use their nicknames to identify themselves to friends than their actual given name. Another point, about your wife not knowing her sister's married surname, many Thai women will keep their family names after marriage even though some do change their family name to that of their husband. Usually the woman makes the decision based on how she feels about changing or not changing her name. My entirely unofficial poll seems to indicate that the most popular female nicknames are Lek, Noi, and Toi (toy).

From what I think

The thais are not rigid but casual people. No need to know the full name of a person (unless U have to) when the nickname is shorter and easier to pronounce.

It gives sort of - a casual, informal, playful, less serious, easygoing, familiarity feeling toward another person - like they are closer to U. It is more fun that way. It's kinda cool and make you feel special, when U hear it. And truthfully it is almost like having another identity.

Just like my thai nickname (can’t say it here, coz it’s my login password) - in thai it means “cute”. I guess when I was younger I was veeeery CUTE :D , so now every time someone says my nickname I have sorta “Ozzy Dozzy” feeling of cuteness “always”, kindna nice - it makes my day sometimes. :o

Edited by teacup

'king' - my guess is it has an accent above the i, and if so will be the thai word for branch (a tree branch / stem) rather than the western im a king

it is very often short from 'kingkaew' which is a name of one type of tree/plant

Yes, I am also not impressed with this example of "Thai Culture". Often they are just introduced as their "friend", not even a nickname, unless you ask. The "friend" can mean anyting, from someone they sleep with to a casual aquaintence. In addition, uncles who are not uncles, aunts who are not aunts, sisters who are not sisters, "brothers" who can be husbands or boyfriends. Just another example of the "fuzzy-wuzzy" non-specific Thai way of dealing with things.

The use of Nicknames (name by which Nick - The Devil knows you) has its roots in Hindu beliefs that you cannot be cursed in anything but your real name. This also explains the reluctance of many Thais to give their real names to people they do not know or have only just met.

Yes, I am also not impressed with this example of "Thai Culture". Often they are just introduced as their "friend", not even a nickname, unless you ask. The "friend" can mean anyting, from someone they sleep with to a casual aquaintence. In addition, uncles who are not uncles, aunts who are not aunts, sisters who are not sisters, "brothers" who can be husbands or boyfriends. Just another example of the "fuzzy-wuzzy" non-specific Thai way of dealing with things.

It is being used to confuse you. But is not common across all Thailand or all levels of Thai society.

Hmm,... Interesting. :o

Maybe veering off-topic slightly, but a lot of Thais have started changing their names recently also. A lot of the people I do business with have changed their first and last names...? :D

Is this after a trip to the fortune teller, or after a visit from the credit-cruncher, i do not know.

Maybe veering off-topic slightly, but a lot of Thais have started changing their names recently also. A lot of the people I do business with have changed their first and last names...? :D

Is this after a trip to the fortune teller, or after a visit from the credit-cruncher, i do not know.

I've known four people who have changed their names... all four are absolute fruit cakes.

I know of 3 that changed their names recently :D really dont get it

all 3 are in their mid 30s, one is in fact close to 40 years old!

my name is my identity. why would you change your name.....baffles me! (from practical perspective, its not just official documents that you need to change, in thailand you can use some documents like school/uni transcript with your old name as long as you produce the name change document in conjunction. but imagine if you have publications to your name.....will be harder to try to make people realise the same articles/books written by you under previous name is still currently you. hard enough when you change from your maiden name to your married name!)

but yes my guess is it was after a few consultations with fortune teller/respected monks or whoever else they feel can predict and change their destiny. all 3 Im referring to are known for their inclination to rely on fortune tellers.......all highly educated overseas...either they picked that up overseas? :o or some aspects of the thai influence remains strong..hmmm :D

I've known four people who have changed their names... all four are absolute fruit cakes.

I also know a few people who have changed their names upon the advice of 'fortune tellers'. Their current name is unlucky or other reasons such as they will not get rich with this name etc. When they ask my opinion about this subject I always tend to avoid it, I would not want to offend them!

Could also be the fact that most Thai first and surnames....................are incredibly looooooooooong
Exactly. Five syllables are not unusual for either part of the formal name. Asadachanabalawaa Nachawongsechatabang-Na-Ayudduyha.

Most of the incredibly long names are not ethnic Thai, they are names adopted by Chinese immigrants.

I have to admit the whole nickname thing drives me nuts sometimes. My office has about five Leks – must drive the operator crazy. I am calling for Khun Lek – which Lek! Most people in my office know everyone's real name – it is the only way to get their e-mail address up – though they may not know their colleagues last name.

I have more of an issue with the men who date Thai women and don't know their g/f, or worse their wife's, real name. I have met many men who don't know this; pretty shocking.

I am not so sure about the formal vs. informal comment – as people are always referring to others as Khun Lek, Khun Ple, etc. Why the "Khun" if the idea is to be informal. Khun is pretty formal.

I agree on the long name comment. I have always found Thais to be very prone to limiting the number of syllables or eliminating words completely from a spoken sentence. My Thai teacher used to say Thais are lazy speakers – that's why they don't pronounce the "r" and why they try to shorten words.

For my two cents, I was told that the nickname was to fool the ghosts who come looking for newborn babies – using the nickname means the ghost can't find the newborn. Not sure about this, but what I was told.

I had last name Taroy (meaning sleepy-tired eyes) from my father until i was 18 he changed it cuz it was teased by other children so he cares about his kids been teasing. My nick name is Poo as in Thai is crab but you know what those means in English.

Since my name is good meaning (its mean good woman WOW) for people who know english then they calls me my real name instead of Poo :o

But my family relatives and friends in thailand they still calling me Poo cuz its easy and short and most of nickanems discribe how you look ( for my nick name cuz when my mom pregnant she like to eat crabs and my skin is brow like a crab.

R-Poo, Nah-Poo, P'Poo, Nong-Poo, Khun Poo and so on.

End of the story ----

My wife hasen't got a nickname or her son. But her daughter's Nickname is "King" Why King and not Queen ?

Anyone know the answer to that ? Must have a meaning in Thai but when I ask thay dont Know

It's hard to be sure without knowing the tone, but "king" in Thai can mean "ginger" (the spice).

My wife hasen't got a nickname or her son. But her daughter's Nickname is "King" Why King and not Queen ?

Anyone know the answer to that ? Must have a meaning in Thai but when I ask thay dont Know

It's hard to be sure without knowing the tone, but "king" in Thai can mean "ginger" (the spice).

ขิง = King (ginger)

คิง = King

กิ่ง = King (stick)

Spell the same in English but difference tone

In England I known several con artist that keep changing their names can it be the same here? I have friends that brought house for the wives or GF and do not known thie real names. With the name thing Thai's are very smart.

As I understand the system the nickname is often given by the family at birth as a stop-gap until the baby can be taken to the local wat and given a 'proper' name by a monk (that may take weeks or months). The original nick sticks though. It can be changed throughout life, though it might be that family will continue to use the original and workmates know them as something different, especially if they work far from the family home.

Another fatcor for those girls who work with foreigners can be what their nickname translates to - I know a girl whose nickname is Peung, meaning bee - the insect, and so often introduces herself to foreigners as Bee, but is known as Peung to her Thai friends.

The full family name is rarely used other than on official documents (ID cards/passports etc.), even the PM is referred to by their first name.

Cheers,

K.

"KING" in thai is also translate to "Ginger". Many thais nickname are after vegetables or fruits.

Edited by Misplaced

A few years ago I was asked to pick a nickname for a nephew.

I called him Chek, that is what he is called, 2.5 years later. I have no idea what his given name is.

Only my wife knows how I picked the nickname.

Chek: short for "check condom"...because the mother did not do so.