New Landline With Adls From True

Cheops

Hi All,

last week I applied for a new landline from True (which is my only choice unfortunatly in my appartment building) including a 2Mbit adsl internet connection. Last friday (5 working days after application) they called me and told me everything should work. Of course I checked it friday in the evening to find out that there is not any signal on the line! Went back today to the same True booth where I applied and they told me that the people from my appartment building need to make the last cable connection from the True switchbox to my room. What the F.. :o ???

Did anyone experience the same (since True tells me this is common practice :D and agreement with appartment building owners)? (By the way, the condo is not rented but owned by me.)

What if anybody just can change the connections in the True switchbox at some appartment, wouldn't this be unsecure? Since all people can tap a random line!

Also, the previous owner of the condo already had True connected, so obviously there was already a line going to the switchbox, but those knuckleheads at True apparently didn't look into their records and just switched my new line to some other terminal in the switchbox.

I read the horrorstories of True, but unfortunatly I don't have a choice in my appartment and can only get True.

I wonder if even the 2Mbit adsl internet will work after the cables is getting connected to the switchbox! :D

Thanks for any reaction!

A couple of years ago I had True connecting their ADSL in my (rented) apartment (with new line). Both of the times a mechanic finishes the job in one go .... TOT likewise .... Actually only the mechanic connecting the line came, the ADSL part was done remotely.

Edited by sniffdog

A couple of years ago I had True connecting their ADSL in my (rented) apartment (with new line). Both of the times a mechanic finishes the job in one go .... TOT likewise .... Actually only the mechanic connecting the line came, the ADSL part was done remotely.

Yes, that sounds more like it, but at True they told me that the mechanic of True can only connect the line up to inside the True-switchbox and that I need to take care for the last part of the line (from Switchbox to my actual condo). But there is already a cable there, since the previous owner had True connected (we even used that line for a month). So all True had to do was just look where the cable from my condo to the switchbox was going and connect it to the terminal which is already switched to my new number! But hey, the got my 2800 baht already, so who cares (must they be thinking). By the way, I'm a technical guy and can do it myself if needed, but in my opinion True should take care of this.

Thanks for your reply sniffdog. I'm curious to know if there are more people with similar experiences.

For the ADSL part I know, they can do that remotely without any issue.

Many condos have separate switchboxes, which need to be maintained solely by the condo management. The existence of a cable is not enough - had you used the old line/number, it might have been that simple - but as you have gotten a new number, the condo management need to hook up the correct wire.

Many condos have separate switchboxes, which need to be maintained solely by the condo management. The existence of a cable is not enough - had you used the old line/number, it might have been that simple - but as you have gotten a new number, the condo management need to hook up the correct wire.

Thanks for you reply onethailand, but wouldn't it be the task of the mechanic from True to contact the condo management in order to hook up the correct wire in stead of just let customer service of True calling me to tell: hello sir, your new line is ready and can be used from now on. Which is of course not yet the case. They didn't even tell me that I need to contact my condo management. Also they didn't inform me on forehand, as in that case of course I prepared from my side and informed the condo management etc.

How about the ownership of the switchbox? Is it from True? In that case is it locked to prevent other people from tap a line? Or does it belong to my condo building? In which the same question actually is valid. Questions me also in the last case how the mechanic from True can open that box. At True they even could not tell me where the switchbox is located! Common, there are more people in my building using adsl (which have to be from True!)

As for the old number, yes I would have liked to use that one, but since the previous owners didn't care anything (they didn't pay nor ended their subscription after we bought the condo and we got all their mail regarding this) I didn't want to get any trouble and applied for a new line on my name.

I know, I know, I'm complaining here, but I should ask these questions to either True and/or my condo management :o

Thanks for you reply onethailand, but wouldn't it be the task of the mechanic from True to contact the condo management in order to hook up the correct wire in stead of just let customer service of True calling me to tell: hello sir, your new line is ready and can be used from now on. Which is of course not yet the case. They didn't even tell me that I need to contact my condo management. Also they didn't inform me on forehand, as in that case of course I prepared from my side and informed the condo management etc.

Without knowing exactly how your line is set up I don't really think I can answer that question.

However, if the problem is at the condo switchbox, it takes about 30 seconds to call them, then however long it takes for them to get down to the switchbox and hook up the right wire. I wouldn't waste the time waiting for True to figure it out.

How about the ownership of the switchbox? Is it from True? In that case is it locked to prevent other people from tap a line? Or does it belong to my condo building? In which the same question actually is valid. Questions me also in the last case how the mechanic from True can open that box. At True they even could not tell me where the switchbox is located! Common, there are more people in my building using adsl (which have to be from True!)

True will run to a switchbox somewhere on the street. Your condo will run wires from the True switchbox to their own switchbox (though I am not sure exactly who is responsible for running those wires in between).

Once it reaches the building, it's not True's responsibility. This, of course, assumes that the final mile has already been bridged.

As I said - contact your condo management and ask them to do the checking - give them the True phone number and let them take care of it. Much easier - though I understand it can be frustrating.

Thanks all for your comments and advice.

Yesterday I had a talk with one of our security guys (I speak some Thai :o ) and he at least knows where the switchbox is located and he told me to just contact the condo management, after which he can help to connect. So today my wife will contact them in order to connect the last part (probably takes about 10 seconds to connect).

This could be a lot more smooth if the guy from True which handled my application told me that I had to contact the condo management. Then of course I had done this on forehand. On the other side as sniffdog's last comment pointed out, the True technician could easily contact the condo management himself as well.

Our condo management is luckily not too commercial and won't charge for this (it's not an expensive condo).

True technician could easily contact the condo management himself as well.

Building owners are notoriously difficult to work with. Typically they will always want cash for a "new line" ( which is a 10 cm jumper wire in the box which most offices charge 5000 or 9000 baht for ).

When i moved into my office - they wanted 5000 baht per line ( building owner ). As we took over the office from a previous owner, instead of canceling their line, we transferred it to our name, and then asked True to give us a new number on that line.

the building owner is none the wiser :o

Saved 15,000 baht on 3 lines :D