Typhoon Warning For Thailand - Storm Muifa

george

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, but weather forecasting is a bit like astrology forecasting frankly. It's all in how you read it.

Last time I believed a weather forecaster was the guy in Denver who predicted a beautiful weekend about 3 hours before 2 feet of snow fell.

But you have to admit that 2 feet of snow in Denver is a huge exception to the norm - usually very little there and when it does snow it melts in a few hours from most streets. Exception was last year when they really got it good. :D

Thing is with a typhoon you can sometimes prevent a lot of damage by clearing up the yard or covering windows. My Homestead house took 20 grand in damage just because I was in Bangkok and it did not get boarded up. Would have been much less with preparation.

Anyhow glad it was not powerful and all is well on your island.

Lop. where did you get the idea Denver has very little snow??? I lived there for over ten years and remember plenty of snow! My personal favorite (and the one that reminds me island life in Thailand aint so bad) was one Christmas where it snowed something like 3 feet and the streets were covered for about a week. All during school holidays too. :o

As for preparation here, well, pretty much everything is open and easily repaired, our house is not fancy, not expensive. Just basic, so the only thing I would really miss would be my computer! Not much we can do in way of preparations, we did cut down a leaning coconut tree, figured we didn't need it blown down on our neighbors house.

What - was that it. Was that the topical storm that passed over Ko Samui lastnight?

That was just another normal rainshower with a bit of wind in the night!!!  :D

I'm looking at topicalstormrisk.com now which shows the system still out in the Gulf of Thailand - think the pics may be from yesterday tho? Dont tell me that was the lull before the storm  :o

The storm has passed so they say.....

well, we did have a bit of rain last night and it is still a tad windy but the sky is blue again today. So, I guess you could safely say the storm has passed :o .

I understand it is a typhoon again and is now in the Andaman sea and on it's way towards Bangladesh or India.

Lop. where did you get the idea Denver has very little snow??? I lived there for over ten years and remember plenty of snow! My personal favorite (and the one that reminds me island life in Thailand aint so bad) was one Christmas where it snowed something like 3 feet and the streets were covered for about a week. All during school holidays too.  :o

That's a real bummer. But Denver has the same average snowfall as Manchester, NH where I grew up at 67.6" per years. Go up into the mountains to Vail and it go up to 358" per year so was thinking along the lines that most people have visions of meters of snow and Denver is not like that (sister has lived there last 15 years so have been there too many cold nights). The amazing thing for as easterner is how fast the roads normally clear with that hot sun.

Well, I feel for the guy who decided to abandon Samui for Bangkok as they seem to be having far worse weather than us.

:o I am the guy. Abandon is a strong word. Lets say i avoided being caught in a typhoon.

Predictions are not 100% reliable but most typhoon risk assesments are pretty accurate. Any weather is unpredictable. Typhoons are followed for a long time and some patterns are known. According to those patterns (models) it should follow a certain path, but there are to many factors to be 100% sure. But a warning that can save peoples lives or prepare yourself it only helps. If it is not like predicted, and the strom dissipates earlier than expected, all the better.

As for the bad weather in Bangkok, i have not seen any, nice sunny days with cool evenings. Had a great Loy Kratong with the family.

I guess this thread would be quit different when Muifa did strike Samui. Like people dead, hundreds of people homeless, millions of baht damage to structures etc...

I just read the warning, calculated the risks for me, they were to high so i left.

I guess your way of calculating risk is different. :D

I am very happy this storm went pas Samui as it moved south and then moved north along the coast. Not much damage was done because it lost a lot of strength.

Happy to return to Samui soon.

I understand it is a typhoon again and is now in the Andaman sea and on it's way towards Bangladesh or India.

This is another typhoon, Muifa is dissipated.

Benton as this one is called is powerful then weak then powerfull again, it is over open sea so now it is only a concern for sea traffic.

As you can see on www.tropicalstormrisk.com its path is erratic and its power fluctuates greatly. All the more reason to take warnings more serious. It can go good but also very bad. The weather patterns are not the same as before. People who where very good at predicting it, like farmers and fisherman have no clue anymore.

Oh man talk about Denver and Vail concerning snow!!!!!!!! Get this if you are enroute to Vail from Denver and that snowstorm hits, your totally screwed especially if your around like 9,000 to 11,000 feet up in the pass. You will be stranded for a cool 4 days up in that mountain.

They even advise all travelers during the winter season when going thru those passes in the mountains to at least bring plenty of water, and survival equipment to last at least 5 days.

If they know in advance that such storm is coming, they close the road down and lock it up till it passes on thru.

Also there is a period of time during the winter the passes remain closed for several weeks which is minimum 3 weeks to max 6 weeks.

Daveyo

True daveyo, eisenhower tunnel is almost always open, barring major blizzards. God, I hate snow.

As for the prediction of hundreds of dead etc. Well, alot of deaths come from flooding, as Samui and Phangan are islands the water tends to flow off the island, not get trapped like on the mainland. And like I said in a previous post, I have watched many many typhoons appear to be headed this way and veer off. Sure, one could hit but as I also said previously, the only two on Koh Phangan were Gay (1989 none dead, no houses destroyed) and a typhoon over 30 years ago that my husband remembers (some houses destroyed but none dead that he knows of).

The one thing I do appreciate about all the hoohah the govt made was that this time they were actually prepared. I remember it took them days to get food and water to residents of Chumpon and the first supplies to arrive were from the Royal Family.

We all make our own choices, I do not in any way regret my choice and still would not even in the event the typhoon had hit.

yea, I just took a look at the Pacific pics, and man I am telling you Malaysia and Indonesia are really getting bombed from the storms. In fact a nice goody is just passing north of the Philippines headed towards Guam and Taiwan.

But to the east of Indonesia, wow. There is a wolf pack of them stretching all the way east to Central America and northern part of South America.

Daveyo

:DThank you George for this Fred and Warning. :o

large.jpg:D

It did not do much damage, not like Typhoon Gay did a few years back, although Muifa did kill 60 odd in Philippines before reaching Thailand, hence the Warning.

I would like to thank foremost George and secondly all of you that posted whilst the Typhoon came across Thailand where you posted from giving us hourly reports. Thank you. :D

I send out roughly around 100 emails to all that live, work and stay in Thailand to warn them about this Typhoon, most replied with a Thank you. Hence this post. :D

Now you Kan really see that ThaiVisaDotCom does work, to help each of us living here in Thailand and not just another boring… etc. etc. etc....... forum that you Kan find on the W.W.W. :D

Yours as always, :D

Kan Win :D

Thank you all once again. :D

Happy Days :D