Emergency Us Passport

Hi,

I've lost my passport. My visa will expire on 13th of this month. Will i be given an emergency passport at the US Embassy? (i understand that i have to get a paper from my local police station before going there). Cost?

Hi,

I've lost my passport. My visa will expire on 13th of this month. Will i be given an emergency passport at the US Embassy? (i understand that i have to get a paper from my local police station before going there). Cost?

You have to report it to the local cop shop and you will need a case number...

New US passports are not cheap, maybe 4 to 6 thousand baht. Takes a while even to get an emergency one. Check the embassy website. Then you have to go to Immigration and hope they honor the letter you get from the embassy about your missing visa.

4-6 thousand for a US passport is cheap...go and get a new British passport..!!!

Yes, of course you can get one. It happened to a friend of mine and he got one from Bangkok embassy. One interesting thing: he was told later by US customs that from now on he is screened at a higher level because of that incident (in the database maybe for life, happy happy joy joy).

Hi,

:o

Go to the American embessy the Consulate section. Be sure to have identification to establish youeself as a U.S. citizen, for entrance through the Marine security. A U.S. drivers license will be enough if you have one. If you have photo-copies of your lost passport front page, photo page, and visa page (yeah, a lot of people don't) it will make things much easier.

You will have to file a statement with the embessy of the circumstances of how you lost your passport. They may want you to go to your local police station to file a notice with the Thai police. Not sure, but probably there will be a fee for the Thai police statement.

If you have time it would be best to get a new passport in Thailand. It will take at least 2 weeks. Now all passport replacements are handled through the a center in the U.S.(it was in Portland, Maine), no more passport re-issue at the local embessy. The fees are around $100 for the new passport and the required consulate certification (the consulate has to notorise your staement of how you lost your passport). It may be higher now, that was a few years ago, when I had to do it.

If you absolutely have to leave Thailand, and the embessy accepts your statement of how you lost your passport, they can give you a temporary tavel document for entrance to the U.S. You will have to replace your passport before you leave the U.S. again.

If you can stay in Thailand, and depending on your visa, try to grt an extension to your visa. That should give you enough time to get the new pasport. The U.S. embessy can have it returned by express mail to them. There is a fee, but I don't know how much.

Yes, you will be flagged by the U.S. authorites for losing a passport. But it isn't serious, and I don't think it s permanent on your record. It's really foryour protection, in case someone else tries to use your lost passport later. Just be sure to notify the U.S. embessy so your lost passport number can be canceled. That is the most important thing to them.

Good luck.

:D

P.S. If you apply here for a new passport, and travel on a temporary travel document from the embessy, you can have your new passport mailed to your U.S. address by overnight registerd mail of Fed-ex to that address. Still takes about 2 weeks, but it is faster to have it mailed overnight delivery to U.S. address.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Hi,

What Visa were you on? If you had a multiple entry visa, then you have a problem.

You cannot just get a 'replacement' visa put in your new passport; the only authority that can (/might be able to) do that is the embassy/consulate that issued the original visa.