If You Were To Leave Thailand For A Few Years...

Tony Clifton

Contact lenses if you wear them. That yearly required checkup in a lot of states is annoying for those with nearly frozen vision (mine is unchanged for the last 15+ years).

:o

Slightly off topic,

Couldn't believe that contact lenses were more expensive in Thailand than in the UK.

Yeah, they are roughly the same price as in the US (Texas anyway). The major cost difference is that everytime you restock on lenses there, they are required by law that you have a current prescription (which lasts for one year), that that basic eye exam is about $80-$120, which is about the cost of 20 pairs of disposable contacts (for me: B&L SoftLens 59). Not a huge savings, but myself I prefer to get an eye exam once every 3 years instead.

:D

One last thing. Make sure your cell phone is a quad.. or.. if you have a tri band, make sure your new carrier broadcasts on the signals your phone has.

Case in point. ATT broadcasts on two differnet signals.. if your phone does not carry both, then using them as a carrier is worthless.

Going back to the U.S. you need to remember the electricity is 110/120V 60 hertz, NOT 220 50 hertz. Also, I just came back from CA & GA and found a lot of things in the

asian stores there actually cheaper than here......but I'm from S. CA where they have lots of food stuffs etc from Thailand & asia. For that matter, surprisingly I

found lots of things cheaper and better quality than here. One thing mentioned was flat screen LCD TV. go to Costco and you won't have to worry about a step up/down

either.

Beachbunny

Thai Satillite TV Boxes Especially Free To Air TV Boxes Pre Programmed for Thai TV (Direct TV in US will cost you a Fortune).

Thai Satillite Radio Sirius (PreProgrammed for Thai Radio) Cause you can't sign up for Thai Satillite Radio in the US.

Flat Screen TVs (LG Manufactures Flat Pannel TVs in Bangkok) Here in US the Price will be 3 times as much as Thailand.

The same goes for Computer Monitors made by LG.

Will any of these nice items work in the US? Thai satellites are probably beaming their signals at Thailand, not the US (which is almost on the other side of the globe). Ditto for the radio. Power requirements are also an issue; Thailand is at 220V, the US at 110V. For TVs, Thailand is using PAL; in the US, NTSC.

I just want to do it the right way, and make sure that the employee gets as much as possible, as well as making sure that I pay as little as possible. I think they will accept the leave for 45 days under maternity period. They will not give remuneration if the period exceeds more than that. We should check with the HR people and should confirm with the management about the maternity leaves.

===============================================================

steve

[superBabyGuide | http://www.superbabyguide.com]

Edited by stevejohnson

Presuming your lengthy spell in LOS has convinced you that the western habit of wearing shoes in the house is downright disgusting, I would invest in a stock of those cheap house slippers (B49 a pair, you'll never find anything as cheap as that in the west) that you can find at the same shops/stalls that sell curtains and table covers (that are all made from exactly the same material). They're easily washed and can be kept inside next to the front door for guests who are horrified at the thought of having to tread your house floors barefoot or in socks.