Club Or Country?

rixalex

Club or Country?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd rather see liverpool win an egg and spoon race than england with the world cup. but then i've never put much store by patriotism and national pride and i've been pretty spoiled by supporting a club that has always won trophies. so agree with james' point about fans of clubs who never win anything having more of an interest in england being successful.

I voted for both are important, as every team that I ever played for, from primary school through to works team & town team were all important. And if I'm ever lucky enouigh to have the choice of watching my grandson play for Phuket Town against Krabi City or watching Man U. play L'pool I know I'd be at the touch line shouting for Phuket Town. (Safe in the knowledge that Utd would win anyway... :o )

i'd rather see liverpool win an egg and spoon race than england with the world cup. but then i've never put much store by patriotism and national pride and i've been pretty spoiled by supporting a club that has always won trophies. so agree with james' point about fans of clubs who never win anything having more of an interest in england being successful.

The rate Rafa and your owners are going, the only trophy you will be winning anytime soon will be at an egg and spoon race.

What matters more to you, your national side or your club side?

Would seeing your club side taking league honours or being crowned Champions of Europe mean more to you than your national side winning the World Cup?

i VOTED 'BOTH',but thats not the full story is it?

I'm a Arsenal guy so hate Man U,but when Man U players are playing for England I want them to do well and will cheer them on.Its a matter of 'hating' Rooney in a league match but then wanting him scoring for England.

Mind you its no contest in the admiration stakes when regarding Ronaldo...just want him off the pitch wether its playing for Man U or Portugal.

What matters more to you, your national side or your club side?

Would seeing your club side taking league honours or being crowned Champions of Europe mean more to you than your national side winning the World Cup?

i VOTED 'BOTH',but thats not the full story is it?

I'm a Arsenal guy so hate Man U,but when Man U players are playing for England I want them to do well and will cheer them on.Its a matter of 'hating' Rooney in a league match but then wanting him scoring for England.

Mind you its no contest in the admiration stakes when regarding Ronaldo...just want him off the pitch wether its playing for Man U or Portugal.

As a fan of Arsenal, I can understand why you want Ronaldo off the pitch. I must say I dont' really care for his attitude but he is amazing to watch as a footballer and I am glad he is with us and not at Chelsea. :o

Club for me, in fact I didn't even bother watching it last night, as I've become so used to watching a pile of crap. I think I will continue to do that, in the hope that by not watching they start putting in similar performances. I just hope that they can now follow that result up, with another good performance in the next game.

Club for me, in fact I didn't even bother watching it last night, as I've become so used to watching a pile of crap. I think I will continue to do that, in the hope that by not watching they start putting in similar performances. I just hope that they can now follow that result up, with another good performance in the next game.

Everything he says.............FAF :o

redrus

When your club plays crap (assuming heaven forbid they do on occasion?!), do you stop watching them too?

When your club plays crap (assuming heaven forbid they do on occasion?!), do you stop watching them too?

I know that question was not directed at me but, Never would I or will I stop watching United....! Come hel_l or high water, Glazer or otherwise will my love for them die.

Unfortunately my love my countries football team subsided many moons ago and, many on this board will say that I/we (as reds) should forget it but, I can't forget the <deleted> we have recieved at Engerland games, with upwards of 6 to 7 reds in the team!

My love for my country (I would hope) is not in question here....!

redrus

No, what does that have to do with my opinion? England have continued to dissapoint over a number of years, I found the last 3 or 4 particularly tedious, hence my decision at present not to bother watching them play. Of course I want them to do well, but I don't have an affinity to England anyway.

In respect of club football, I 've watched plenty of crap games, but Saturday's are for Football, and I'll continue to watch it.

No, what does that have to do with my opinion? England have continued to dissapoint over a number of years, I found the last 3 or 4 particularly tedious, hence my decision at present not to bother watching them play. Of course I want them to do well, but I don't have an affinity to England anyway.

In respect of club football, I 've watched plenty of crap games, but Saturday's are for Football, and I'll continue to watch it.

I wasn't commenting on your opinion. You said that you gave up watching England games because they were playing crap, so i simply wondered whether you followed the same principles with regards support of your club. That was all.

For me you either support a team or you don't.

Edited by rixalex

I wasn't commenting on your opinion. You said that you gave up watching England games because they were playing crap, so i simply wondered whether you followed the same principles with regards support of your club. That was all.

No, I don't give up supporting my club. I didn't say that I'd given up supporting England either, just that I haven't been watching the last few games cos it had become so tedious. As I said, I want them to do well!

No, I don't give up supporting my club. I didn't say that I'd given up supporting England either, just that I haven't been watching the last few games cos it had become so tedious. As I said, I want them to do well!

Isn't watching part and parcel of supporting?

Is it? Getting up at 2am, to watch England play is hardly appealing, or should I say hasn't been? I want them to do well, but I don't lose any sleep over it. I'd much rather watch Man United or Torquay United (and that can be crap)than watch England. However, I will get up at 2am to watch United. Anyway, I've made a choice not to watch the last few games, after having hardly missed a game previously, don't think it means I don't support them anymore. I think we could go back and forth on this one. Club First, Cornwall second, England third. :o

Is it?

For me yes. Although you didn't answer directly, you seem to imply that you wouldn't stop watching your club team were they to start playing badly, so why do so with the national team?

Do you think the supporters of Shrewsbury Town stop watching when their team plays crap?

Supporting any team, no matter how good or how bad that team might be, is about sticking with it through the thick and the thin, the highs and the lows.

Supporting any team, no matter how good or how bad that team might be, is about sticking with it through the thick and the thin, the highs and the lows.

I wouldn't know about that. Being a City fan, there as only been "thins" and "lows". Can't wait to see if it's just as good experiencing the "thick" and the "highs" :o

Is it?

For me yes. Although you didn't answer directly, you seem to imply that you wouldn't stop watching your club team were they to start playing badly, so why do so with the national team?

Do you think the supporters of Shrewsbury Town stop watching when their team plays crap?

The answear is that I don't class my self as English which may help you understand, however I have in no way implied that I don't support England, you have just decided that it is imperative to 'watch' a game. I've chosen not to watch as for reasons given, I will say that I'm delighted that they got that result last night though.

I know a number of die hard supporters of clubs, who haven't watched a game for a number of years, becasue they can't, does that mean that they are no longer real supporters? Or are we going to change the 'definition'?

The answear is that I don't class my self as English which may help you understand, however I have in no way implied that I don't support England, you have just decided that it is imperative to 'watch' a game. I've chosen not to watch as for reasons given, I will say that I'm delighted that they got that result last night though.

I know a number of die hard supporters of clubs, who haven't watched a game for a number of years, becasue they can't, does that mean that they are no longer real supporters? Or are we going to change the 'definition'?

There's a distinction here.

If someone didn't watch a game because they weren't near a TV, or they were doing something important, working perhaps, or maybe if it's a middle of the night game it's just not practical for them to get up, then i think that's fine. We all have lives to live and football can't/shouldn't always be number one. The simple act of not watching a game therefore doesn't make you any less a supporter.

But when someone comes out and says not that they can't watch a game, but that they have made the decision to stop watching games because the team aren't playing well and are losing, that to me is the definition of a fair-weather supporter.

If that decision is also combined with the sort of negative rhetoric and sentiment often found on this forum, such as the team is full of hopeless so and so's who have no talent and will never win anything (not that i'm accusing you of saying that Toady), then this is definetely the sort of supporter England can do without, and the sort of supporter who would not be tolerated at club level.

It seems like there's a different code of conduct concerning club and country support, whereby it's ok to completely slag of the national team and effectively turn your back on them, all the while things aren't going well, but then return to the fold when things pick up again. This would not be acceptable behaviour of a club supporter and IMO should not be accepted by supporters of the national team.

Club for sure, when it's MAN UTD its easy, but for someone on the bottom of the table? and but I wonder if the results of this poll would be different if England lost last night?

You've lost me James, are you saying that it would make a difference if the Club you supported was at the " bottom of the table " which if they are, you might then pick your National Team over that Club ???

If that's what you meant, do you have any real idea of what supporting an actual Club is James ??

It's a little bit more than just being at the right end of the Table. :o

& what would one result in Croatia do anything to change a " REAL " Football Fans decision over who he chooses in this Poll ??

I think not !!!

Anyway, we've never been " top of the table " in my near 30 years supporting West Ham but Club over Country any day of the week..:D

As this is the football forum I voted club, Man U, over country. My country is Wales and whilst I'd love to see them lift the world cup, or even the Euro, I am a realist and know that flying pigs will be having snowball fights in hel_l before that happens. Would have been a wrench had Man U made it to the FA final instead of Pompey though.

As for England I always root for them in any match but seldom bother making a special effort to watch. It would be nice if they could prove that 1966 was not a fluke.

Club for sure, when it's MAN UTD its easy, but for someone on the bottom of the table? and but I wonder if the results of this poll would be different if England lost last night?

You've lost me James, are you saying that it would make a difference if the Club you supported was at the " bottom of the table " which if they are, you might then pick your National Team over that Club ???

If that's what you meant, do you have any real idea of what supporting an actual Club is James ??

It's a little bit more than just being at the right end of the Table. :o

& what would one result in Croatia do anything to change a " REAL " Football Fans decision over who he chooses in this Poll ??

I think not !!!

Anyway, we've never been " top of the table " in my near 30 years supporting West Ham but Club over Country any day of the week..:D

As Robbie Williams sang< Everybody Loves You When You are Winning. England

By supporting a club ok point taken, but blindly supporting a club because daddy did or because you were born in that city - regardless if they grind out 30 years of mediocrity, well that's your perogative.

I started supporting United about 11 years agobecause of the style of football they play not because they are in Manchester, . And let me tell you mate, I was born nowhere near Manchester.

Am I a fan of United? Yes, I watch em any / every time they play. Would I do the same for England, no.

same same Mr T :o