Best law office to set up a business?

Hi all,

Loads and loads of law firms do exist in Thailand to help with the setting up of a business for a fee. We are thinking of setting up a business here in los. However, we have so many to choose from that we're getting a bit desperate. Any recommendations from people who have used the services of certain firms like "sunbelt", "indo-group", "interco" etc? And what are the pros and cons via a vis the use of the services of a Thai law firm as opposed to using the services of a foreign owned law firm e.g sunbelt? People who have had positive and/or negative experiences dealing with certain law firms here in Bnagkok, please post your reply on this thread.

Thanks

Hi -

I will first disclose that I am the guy at Indo-Siam Group - so I have an "interested" position in such a discussion.

The only comment I will make is concerning the need for a "law firm".   My firm is not a law firm.  We start companies here, and our total expense to "lawyers" (which we pass through to clients) is 1,200 baht.  Lawyers are required for only two things - signing off on articles of incorporation (this requires a lawyer's review - for routine incorporations, this review takes about five seconds), and signing a power of attorney allowing one of my staff to run your papers around for you.

Special situations in which use of a lawyer or law firm IS important are:

1.  Purchase of an existing business.

2.  Setting up a business under a franchise contract.

3.  Purchasing property.

4.  Setting up a private company with the intent to later go public.

5.  Setting up a company under a formal/contractual joint venture agreement.

6.  Setting up a company in a situation where very significant international tax considerations may apply.

7.  Setting up a company that will primarily be involved with performing large-scale "public works" type contrcat work for Thai government (or major corporation).

But - to set up a typical stand-alone Thai Private Company Limited, you do not need to use a law firm.

My company uses lawyers to accomplish tasks that require lawyers - not to handle routine administrative tasks.  In my experience, lawyers tend to do things in the most complicated and time-consuming way possible, so as to "run the clock".

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

[email protected]

The Legal fees our Lawyer charges is

Company registration 7,500 Baht

Tax Id and Corp ID is 3,000 Baht

VAT 3,000 Baht

Work Permit 9,500

"O" or "B" Visa 7,200 Baht

Hours for a Lawyer who has been doing it for 15 years.

Company registration 3 hours

Waiting in line 2 hours to 8+ hours

Corp Id and Personal ID 1 hour

Waiting in line 5 hours+

Vat 1 hour

Waiting in line 1 hour

Work Permit Preparation 2 hours

Waiting in line up to 5 hours+.

B Visa prep 1 hour

Meetings with Client 3 hours+

Travel time 6 hours+

30 hours or more equals less than 1,000 Baht an hour. Then you have secretary, assistant, telephone, rent, etc etc. That’s why we know it’s a loss leader for our firm and understand why others must charge much more or reluctant to do it at all.    

I know Indo-Siam and Steve seems to be a good guy. His rates are just a tad higher than ours. Using either one of our firms would be a good move.

As for other firms Thai or international, lots of information out there. Some of it sad to say is not accurate and shortcuts are taken, that is illegal, simply because of laziness. Always the correct way to register and we advocate doing it the right way.

Please dont use one of the many farang companys they are the most expensive and double dealing with farangs.

Go to a thai lawyer they will help you get your business set up with tax id and Vat. for around the 10,000 baht mark in 3 weeks.

farang lawyers & accountants are only in this country to feed off the back of their own kind, would a thai use a farang firm !

Atiga,

Can you reco any Thai lawyer that speaks English? We have three on our staff and we are looking to hire more. As far as I know we have the lowest fees of anybody either Thai or International to register a limited company with Vat,Corp ID and personal ID. Fees as many can guess are only one part of the equation, the other is quality service to make it the best value as well.  

As for Thais using Thai firms in another country. Yes it does happen a lot in the USA, in fact, look at Los Angeles. Most Thais use Thai lawyers who live there in America.

As for Thailand, most multinational law firms in Thailand charge $300- $450 an hour here and don’t have a shortage of work working with foreign firms. I know three of these large firms in fact at this moment are backlogged with case work. Offer a premium service and people will pay it.

The Legal fees our Lawyer charges is

Company registration 7,500 Baht

Tax Id and Corp ID is 3,000 Baht

VAT 3,000 Baht

Work Permit 9,500

"O" or "B" Visa 7,200 Baht

Hours for a Lawyer who has been doing it for 15 years.

Company registration 3 hours

Waiting in line 2 hours to 8+ hours

Corp Id and Personal ID 1 hour

Waiting in line 5 hours+

Vat 1 hour

Waiting in line 1 hour

Work Permit Preparation 2 hours

Waiting in line up to 5 hours+.

B Visa prep 1 hour

Meetings with Client 3 hours+

Travel time 6 hours+

30 hours or more equals less than 1,000 Baht an hour. Then you have secretary, assistant, telephone, rent, etc etc. That’s why we know it’s a loss leader for our firm and understand why others must charge much more or reluctant to do it at all.    

I know Indo-Siam and Steve seems to be a good guy. His rates are just a tad higher than ours. Using either one of our firms would be a good move.

As for other firms Thai or international, lots of information out there. Some of it sad to say is not accurate and shortcuts are taken, that is illegal, simply because of laziness. Always the correct way to register and we advocate doing it the right way.

Hello,

I saw your prices, 30.200 Baht for this.

Is there ANY other costs in this connection, not to be surpriced!!??

I have a friend from Denmark, he arrives to Nong Khai in the end of Oktober to marry his girlfriend.

He want to register a company, as he wants to secure his investments. He want to buy house, car and other stuff in the company's name.

When he arrive he have a multiple non-immigrant visa, so he do not need a visa.

Also he want to register his marriage.:o

Also he want to set up some insurances.

And maybe a last will.

Can you provide me with the prices for all this?

And how long time will it take, before the company is registered, so he can buy his house??

And at last where are you located?

Best regards,

By the way, their are no hidden charges. These are the rates...

Marriage... 1,000 Baht for the government and 9,500 legal.

Last will.. if he does it himself without registering it. It’s 8,000 Baht.

Filing with the government.  The government fee depends on the value of the assets and the legal fee would be the same ( 8,000 Baht)

hello all

this is just so everyone doesnt simply trust the thai way of setting up a business

My business was setup with the help of friends who operate a legitimate successful business in Bangkok. It was done via their legal people and all accounts were done as required under thai law

Everything was sweet until a disput between the directors or the company resulted in on director seeking legal advise to oust the other director. THeir lawyer found that the company was not set up properly ie the ghost employees and salaries.

the lawyer then "off the record" threatened the legitimate business to hand over the shares or the thai officials would be called in. THese shares are to be handed over Monday and then the other director will have control - i will be served with a notice to quit on monday.

problem is my work permit and visa are attached to the company and so i believe i will have 7 days to leave the country and get another visa to come back and start again.

Also the company bank account can no longer be used by me to control letters of credit from buyers.

I want to set up again with a minimum of fuss - most work can be done via my home office so i dont really need staff -

if i set up a LTD company again its the same deal with 4 thai employees and office expenses - this at the moment i dont need

what are the option to me - private company, or?

i need a company as i need to bank account to run the letter of credit through

As i have a WP can i transfer to another company - but this does not solve the bank issue

anyone with an opinion please advise as i think i have a week and a half to get setup

thanks

You'll need a work permit to set up a company account at the bank yourself. A individual account is no problem. If you have a Thai Director than you're ok  to open the new company account at the bank. (After your new company is formed)

Note****If you plan on working, you need a work permit and that means either working for a limited company or forming a company.