Prepaid Credit Cards

Mr_Pedantic

I just wondered if anyone has any experience of using prepaid credit cards to use or send money to Thailand.

Paypal have a new card that can be uploaded with cash at a paypoint machine in the UK or through your paypal account and can then be used in stores or withdrawn at an ATM in Thailand. Or Tesco have a travel Mastercard that can be loaded up with funds (unusally only in Euros and dollars making the need for two conversions pounds-euros-baht). Or there is a Payzone Mastercard that advertises sharing money with family abroad.

There are various charges but it is still cheaper than sending cash(international signed for) to Thailand or paying £21 for a bank transfer.

I just wondered if anyone has any experience of using prepaid credit cards to use or send money to Thailand.

Paypal have a new card that can be uploaded with cash at a paypoint machine in the UK or through your paypal account and can then be used in stores or withdrawn at an ATM in Thailand. Or Tesco have a travel Mastercard that can be loaded up with funds (unusally only in Euros and dollars making the need for two conversions pounds-euros-baht). Or there is a Payzone Mastercard that advertises sharing money with family abroad.

There are various charges but it is still cheaper than sending cash(international signed for) to Thailand or paying £21 for a bank transfer.

I will be travelling to Thailand for six months in December and would also like to know what is the best way to manage my cash? should i be looking at the same cards as above or travellers cheques or what? Also is it advisable to have someone top up your card from over here just incase it is lost or stolen or just fill it all in one go? Thanks in advance for any help.

I will be travelling to Thailand for six months in December and would also like to know what is the best way to manage my cash? should i be looking at the same cards as above or travellers cheques or what? Also is it advisable to have someone top up your card from over here just incase it is lost or stolen or just fill it all in one go? Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi There

First get yourself a nationwide flex account, its their current account there are no charge's what soever, even the exchange rate they use is as close to commercial rate's as your likly to get, i use mine here all the time & have had no problems.

Regarding prepaid cards, i did some research 6 month's ago, i only know of & have the payzone Mastercard from the list above, i'm living in Thailand so have never acctually used it yet but when i come home i will leave it with the miss's & top up as requied, you get a top up card which you can leave with family back home, you need to track down your nearest topup store which are usally small newsagents in your area, last time i looked the max top up was 350 pound with a flat fee of 8 pound so its worth toping up to the maximum each time, withdrawel fee's i can't fully remember but they were the best around about a quid to use ATM.

Also the card cost about 12 quid for 3 years one off payment.

And yes the money is on the card within minutes so ideal in a emergency.

If its big money your tranfering you need to do a swift transfer with your own bank, one off charge's around 30/50 quid, or join an international money exchange company there's plenty on goggle, but you will need an accunt over here.

If you want to pay through the nose just use the fast but megger expensive western union but i'd stay away if i was you, not only do they charge big fee's but the exchange rate used is very poor at least 2 point's under nationwide's rate.

Hope this help,s have a good holiday here in Thailand.

Regards Shaun.

PayPal Business account

Register and wait, I think it is 3 months, then you can opt to receive a business Visa card / Debit card.

ATM withdrawals are only $1 USD anywhere in the world!!! No currency conversion fees or anything!

You can move money from a checking account into the PayPal account to keep your balance low for safety and security. Also, if your card is stolen the thieves can not access your bank accounts.

It really is quite a convenient and incredibly cheap option for expats living here, but with bank accounts back home.

Aloha

PayPal Business account

Register and wait, I think it is 3 months, then you can opt to receive a business Visa card / Debit card.

ATM withdrawals are only $1 USD anywhere in the world!!! No currency conversion fees or anything!

You can move money from a checking account into the PayPal account to keep your balance low for safety and security. Also, if your card is stolen the thieves can not access your bank accounts.

It really is quite a convenient and incredibly cheap option for expats living here, but with bank accounts back home.

Aloha

What are the requirements for opening a paypal account in Thailand?

Is it possible here now? It wasn't for a while.

It isn't possible to open one with a Thai bank account.

You must have an overseas account, use your overseas address, and state that your business is in your home country. Have a friend or relative FedEx you the card.

You can not transfer funds into the PayPal account from Thailand.

This option is good for people with accounts back home that are tired of the high fees involved with transfers, withdrawals and currency conversion fees. It also isolates your bank accounts from your card helping to prevent fraud.

Aloha

You must have an overseas account, use your overseas address, and state that your business is in your home country. Have a friend or relative FedEx you the card.

This option is good for people with accounts back home that are tired of the high fees involved with transfers, withdrawals and currency conversion fees. It also isolates your bank accounts from your card helping to prevent fraud.

Aloha

So you obviously arnt familiar with Paypal are you..

Yes you can use a thai bank account to withdraw funds

Aloha

So you obviously arnt familiar with Paypal are you..

Yes you can use a thai bank account to withdraw funds

But can you open an account in Thailand? Has anyone done this?

PayPal Business account

Aloha

What are the requirements for opening a paypal account in Thailand?

Is it possible here now? It wasn't for a while.

There are a few threads about doing PayPal from Thailand in the Jobs, Economy etc subforum, including this one.

Full list:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/search.html&...hlite=%2Bpaypal