Foreign Arrivals Drop Sharply Due To Political Turmoil

george

Cyborg22

I and our family live here because we choose to,why do you live here if you have business in the U.K. ? Reading your postings indeed your are not the most erudite of people one meets.perhaps the fact that I do hold dual nationality and the right of abode in both England and Thailand means I am not a foreigner speaking but someone who actually has a stake in this country.

I can and do own property in my own right here no not a condo either.Perhaps I want what is best for my country or countries and my fellow citizens,our children too, a decent corruption free society.

I don't need a yearly visa either here or the U.K,are you in that position or could you be sent packing if all farang's were told to go ?

You don't know who I am and I have no desire to know who you are,however reading your posts I see a patronising farang who is bigoted and self serving with no desire to see change for the better nor can you see the truth.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've already said I beleive the Thai's started shooting themselves in the foot a couple of years ago.

On the poltical side of things, I'm not ready to be as critical as some. Never forget this has only been a 60 year process for them. With lots of ups and downs. I'm not really sure they have defined what Democracy should be in Thailand yet. But if you take a look at your own Countries for the most part all went though growing pains.

The Democarcy that I know, I truly believe will not fit all. The Thai's have to determine that.

So that reallly doesn't bother me as much when I finally got around to thinking it through.

If you want to attract foriegners and there money it is truly a business decesion, not a political one. If it's more freidnly then X then more people will come an bring their money with them. I came here six years ago at that time a passport and step across a border adn you could live here forever.

Then things started going good for Thailand. They started enforcing the law, to get rid of the " rift Raft" Well I think they missed their target and in the process punished a lot of good people. When all along they had laws in efffect to deport people that caused problems, they just didn't use them.

How many times have you had your passport checked in a non tourist area, six years and for me it is 0.

So who pay the price the people who are trying to do thing legaly. Reporting every ninety day the annual lets jump through the hoop routine. Here in Issan you keep your mouth shut stay out of trouble passport or not that will not bother looking for you

Nong Khai check point is a perfect example I have been stopped a few times they checked my wifes paperwork to make sure she was not from Lao, they have never asked me for a thing.

This is what I mean by shooting themselves in the foot, the pressure in on the people who try to comply with their laws, not the ones who break them. I have done it long enough now that it's no big deal to me. But, at first it was a frightening process knowing tha you could be told to leave at anytime. By the way that hasn't changed, they can still do that.

So what is missing to me is the proper business approach, the Political process ha s had very little effect on me. We have had three times that we saw anything in Udon. If you are traveling through Bangkok and go from one airport to another you won't even notice it. If you happened to be at one the airports that were closed you would darn sure would notice it.

As the economic situtation worsens and there seem to be little doubt of that. I think you will see things become more relaxed again to get that money in the country.

I still maintain they are missing a great opportunity with baby boomer retirees and all they have to do is make it more user friendly. That money is like the Duracell battery just keeps giving and giving. But it doesn't give to five star hotel it gives in local communities to the everyday Thai. Who in turn spend it in the his community.

What do they have o do for it very little. Perhaps improve the infrastructure accomidate the populaion increa, but Thai's benefit from that as well. Is it goimg overload their heath system and burden Thailand, I don't know a single farrang who does not have health insurance. Personally I don't care so much about owning property here, I have seen the Thai courts enforce the devoirce law here it's 50/50 just like most places. That only means the marital asests, doesn't have a thing to do with what you have not brought here. It will not effect your retirement from another country. The courts have no authority or means to attach that.

The law already exist, but your dropped by the way side if you have no work permit. Your retired her you simply can't get one. I don't recall the income you have to make to qauilfy, but it's not much, 1/3 of what I bring in every month for six year now.

It would take very little simple ammendment to an existing law. That is what I mean by user friendly. But, it's not going to benefit the guy with the five star hotel, so I doubt it will ever happen. Very short sighted thinking in my mind. It's the all mighty tourist dollar. They simply don't recognize what they already have and build from that base. That is a busines decesion not a political one.

Oil and the baht I understand that. But this is what I don't understand, by all accounts they have a huge amount of dollars on hand. When they drive the value of the dollar down oil becomes more expensive. why not just buy the oil with the dollars instead of selling the dollar to keep the baht level high and in the process keeping the dollar down and supporting higher prices of oil.

I know that is just to simple a thought isn't it. Better to keep supporting that oil price and take better aim at your foot :o

Cyborg22

I and our family live here because we choose to,why do you live here if you have business in the U.K. ? Reading your postings indeed your are not the most erudite of people one meets.perhaps the fact that I do hold dual nationality and the right of abode in both England and Thailand means I am not a foreigner speaking but someone who actually has a stake in this country.

I can and do own property in my own right here no not a condo either.Perhaps I want what is best for my country or countries and my fellow citizens,our children too, a decent corruption free society.

I don't need a yearly visa either here or the U.K,are you in that position or could you be sent packing if all farang's were told to go ?

You don't know who I am and I have no desire to know who you are,however reading your posts I see a patronising farang who is bigoted and self serving with no desire to see change for the better nor can you see the truth.

Took you a long time to reply to that didn't it. For one i am not bigoted and i want what is best for this country, But it is not like small minded people like you who put down the country you live in.

Yes i have businesses in the uk and i choose to live in Thailand for one simple reason, The people here are more respectful and good hearted not so some of the farang that live here. I also own property in my own right being of Thai birth.

I was in Phuket a couple of weeks ago trying to leave on Saturday with the airport closed. I managed to get out on the following Monday and it was no major problem for me to be a day late to work coming back from a week off. But that was because I live close by in Singapore, so it's just a <2 hour flight. I expect those with disrupted flights back to Euorpe or North America had a bugger of a time getting home from that fiasco.

I have another weeks leave in October, I think for ease of mind, I'll go to Cambodia this time. I have been wanting to explore Angkor Wat, and I don't need a repeat of my last extended trip in the back of my mind if I go to Thailand again.

Maybe next year!

Come on over!! it seems that many others in the local area will also take time off from Thailand and explore the region more.

With direct flights from Singapore and KL to PP its easy to get here. and cheap as well. The big problem is for long haul tourists since i figure more than 50% go via Bangkok to Cambodia and this will affect tourism here as well.

As to tourists arrivals. I have heard from friends that Phuket is very empty. ( post Tsnamui empty) One friend flew up from Sing last week and said less than 30 people on the flight!!

Add that the longer this continues the less bookings will be made. PPP is crazy if they place him up for PM again. Pad wont go away BUT the tousits will not come for sure

the only way this can end is if he leaves but he is to stuborn to think of the country first

Edited by phuketrichard

LOS=Land of Stupid (people) should be the new motto of the Samak or Somchai led government.

A government led by arrogant, stupid thieves and idiots. (and their relatives)

You ain't seen nothin yet! Here comes the violence whether it be Somchai or Samak.

This year the high season will be non existant and it may continue that way for years.

. . . and the fact everyone is skint?

I think they have a couple of problems. First, some years back they decided to ditch the 'backpacker crowd' in favor of the upscale tourists. The backpackers aren't very fickle about things like political instability; the upscale tourists are. Thailand had plenty of room for encouraging both to come. Backpackers will still come, since getting rid of them is like getting rid of crabs.

Second, they never address the root causes that people complain about. Things like double pricing--at least at gov't run venues, such as National Parks.

Finally, the political instability and the closure of airports and railways is a BIG problem. For medium and upscale tourists, they can't afford to sit in an airport for a few days waiting for an international flight back.

On a final note, I am curious as to why everyone blames the gov't. If the PAD would back off a little the problem would diminish as well. That's not meant to be a political statement per se, but let's remember there are 2 groups causing the problem.

I think they have a couple of problems. First, some years back they decided to ditch the 'backpacker crowd' in favor of the upscale tourists. The backpackers aren't very fickle about things like political instability; the upscale tourists are. Thailand had plenty of room for encouraging both to come. Backpackers will still come, since getting rid of them is like getting rid of crabs.

Second, they never address the root causes that people complain about. Things like double pricing--at least at gov't run venues, such as National Parks.

Finally, the political instability and the closure of airports and railways is a BIG problem. For medium and upscale tourists, they can't afford to sit in an airport for a few days waiting for an international flight back.

On a final note, I am curious as to why everyone blames the gov't. If the PAD would back off a little the problem would diminish as well. That's not meant to be a political statement per se, but let's remember there are 2 groups causing the problem.

The back packer are still here in koh Samui although i admit in fewer numbers, Still bedding down in the old A/frames and trying to entice the ladies. Who on hearing he lives in an A/frame tends to shy away. I wonder why?

I know we are only two people, but my girlfriend and myself hop on a plane to Thailand tomorrow night!

Cant wait!

People really should do a bit of research before believing local media... Australia media will never let the truth get in the way of sensationalising a story...

I've read a lot in the forum, and kept my eye on some of the Thai news outlets to try and get a more accurate perspective of things.... And hey, if they close the airport again when im in phuket, they are doing me a favour! :o (who really doesnt want to stay on holidays longer :D )

Thanks to anyone who replied to any of my posts, and just thanks in general for the opinions and information that has flowed through Thai Visa :D

I was talking to a girl in a Pattaya 'Darkside' bar a couple of days ago. The TV was showing coverage of Samak lying, allegedly, to the Constitutional Court. All the bar staff were quite interested in what was transpiring but I was very surprised when this particular girl said, "Samak very bad man, same same Thaksin. Thailand kill Thailand!"

Over on the 'Dark Side' we're not quite so dependent on tourism, mainly on the ex-pat trade, but the staff in this particular establishment were obviously pretty concerned about what was going on. The girl that I was talking with seemed fully aware that the Government is shooting itself in the foot, repeatedly. Someone should turn the whole farce into a soap opera - compulsive viewing!

Seems that everything is conspiring to kill the tourist trade at the moment - unrest, high fares and if you're from the UK, a terrible exchange rate for the THB. People are obviously happier to spend their hard-earned cash on holidaying somewhere that's a bit more stable and a bit of a better bargain. UK people are probably going to stay at home as Brown and Darling have made sure that they have no spare cash anyway!

DM

PAD shot themselves in the foot by closing Phuket airport and scaring away the tourists. They thought they were going to hurt the government but instead the local people who rely on tourists for an income paid the price. And will be suffering losses for some time to come as a result.

The really silly part about it is that the current government is not that popular down that way and by harming the local people PAD has lost a lot of support. That's the reason why PAD has called off the Phuket airport blockade and certainly wont do it again.

It was pressure from the local business groups that made PAD stop discouraging the tourists rather than anything the government did.

Foreign arrivals drop sharply due to political turmoil

-- TNA 2008-09-11

Very obvious, those people from the tourist association and from Thai Airways are LYING. Proof?

The TAT has just very recently noted an increase in visitors and projects record numbers of people to come. As this is the voice of the government, this obviously must be the truth. That there are absolutely no people to be seen here in Phuket also must have totally different reasons.

PAD shot themselves in the foot by closing Phuket airport and scaring away the tourists. They thought they were going to hurt the government but instead the local people who rely on tourists for an income paid the price.

It was pressure from the local business groups that made PAD stop discouraging the tourists rather than anything the government did.

The PAD people closing the airport here on Phuket were 'local' people, the taxi mafia simply by-standing and watching instead of acting making this obvious. All later moaning about lost income -- or even saying that it were 'outsiders' -- is the typical Thai BS you get when something was badly thought through and now face needs to be saved (or taking responsibility for the damages avoided).

There are still PAD rallies going on daily here in Phuket, albeit out of view for tourists. I am seeing no pressure here form anybody discouraging this.

As the local people support it, only fair that they also should pay the price, is it not?

Hello Forum!

My first post. :D

Just wanted to say that I am from the U.S. and am coming to Thailand for the first time in January. I booked our flight in late July and since booking Korean Air has downsized the number of departures and eliminated our scheduled flight while pushing us onto another. I suspect that the cancellation of at least three of their flights from Seoul to Bangkok is due to the demand going down based on the current situation. However I have not seen a single deal on flights from Chicago to Bangkok. It has held steady with Korean Air still being the lowest at almost $1300 per ticket! It looks like instead of lowering fares most airlines departing from the United States are just eliminating all but one flight to Bangkok. Frustrating that I paid to land at 9pm and now am forced to sit in Seoul an extra three hours! :o

i think i will speak for many other forum members and/or people in thailand, that you have our deepest sympathies and we feel so sorry for you that you are unable to makke profit of the current political situation and can not get a better ticket deal. with all the bad news around, a flight from Chicago to thailand should be at least 50$ cheaper, right.

just wait until a few more people gets killed, the army steps in, or that xenophobic PAD cult sized power. you will get much more "experience" for your money. promise.

like the burma traveller to burma. you will read and hear mostly fascinating stories, how beautyful everything is, nature, people and temple. from thailand you can hear many stories how bad everything is, how you got cheated and that everyone is so money obsessed and so on. but there are people who wants to change it and turn this corrupt country into a burmese paradise.

Wow. What a welcome. Considering making money off the current situation was my exact intention (sarcasm), I guess I am just screwed then.

I am actually excited to be coming to Thailand since I was six years old. I was simply stating that rather than seeing an increase in trying to convince foreigners to come to Thailand they were simply cutting out many of the options to get there. Maybe if I was actually going into this with the goal of pinching every red cent I could (sarcasm again) I shouldn't have booked my flight 7 months in advance.

Thanks for the wonderful welcome :D

yes, you are welcome. and look how would you feel if are desaster shaken your country and if you check the news you read comments by french tourist discussing how low the dollar rate will drop.

for hat we have here also a travel subforum for more touristic purpose. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thailand-Travel-Forum-f90.html that will fits you better if you looking for good deals on flights. january is high season, highest prices of the year and hot deals not easy comes by.

and i think there many other reason that convince someone to visit a country and not only tickets deals below 1300. so an airline can do so much to increase the number of tourists.

i hope you will like it here when you come and wish you a good time.

I know for foreigners living in Thailand or staying long term, it isn't such a problem, but there are the local thai people who do make a life on "high season" and wait with much hardship for the rain season to end and those in the South are waiting for the tourists..this is their livelihood. If we foreigners can calm our friends and family and let them know they are not going to be shot or put in jail at just by landing in a plane in Bangkok, let them know things are bigger on the news ...maybe they will come and see...if we want to make a life in Thailand we have to see how we can help our native local friends too...I have many good families in the South and they are very depressed and afraid..they see the lack and they talk to foreigners who are leaving or saying they are not coming back...these local people dont know how to change a work pattern in a matter of a month...they have invested savings in boats, bungalows, taxi cars...they rely on tourism...all I am saying is as a foreigner it wouldnt hurt to keep the fear factor of the political situation low and realistic...not as the news likes to focus in on a small window in the city of Bangkok...for business people coming here..a different story for sure...

Hopefully too, the Thai govt. may make a more supportive and positive change to the visa's possibly allowing long term people to have that privledge and have it made without the fear of loosing it, same for the senior types...there is a whole world of seniors who would love to come and check things out and arrange for 6 month vacations, but this is not an easy visa for someone who just wants to take it easy, not go and come back etc...

well thats my thoughts

BANGKOK: -- Current political turmoil has already affected tourism both in the short- and medium-term, with the number of international arrivals having fallen by 70 per cent, according to the Thai Tourism Services Association.

Charoen Wang-ananont, association president, conceded the political standoff had directly impacted the tourism business. Earlier, the association had projected the tourism boom in the fourth quarter of this year, which is the high season of every year.

In particular, a large number of Chinese tourists are likely to make overseas trip in that season since most had stayed at home in their own country in the third quarter when the 2008 Olympic Games took place. However, almost all Chinese tourists had cancelled trips to Thailand upon concern over the ongoing political unrest.

He said the number of foreign tourists had so far fallen by 70 per cent and that of local tourists by 60 per cent with the hotel room occupancy dropping by 30-40 per cent.

Mr Charoen said what operators in the tourism sector want the new government to do urgently to ease the repercussion is to lift the imposition of the State of Emergency Decree immediately and unconditionally, and administer the country in a way that helps reduce national divisiveness.

He projected the number of foreign tourists visiting Thailand would drop by 300,000 in the fourth quarter of the year.

Meanwhile, Thai Airways International president Apinant Sumanaseni said that the ongoing political unrest and the recent rallies by anti-government protesters to besiege several local airports had prompted many countries to warn their people not to visit Thailand.

It caused the number of THAI passengers, particularly from Asian countries such as China, Korea, and Japan, to drop by around 20 per cent, and that of passengers from Europe by 5-10 per cent in August.

Should the political unrest continued unabated, he said, it would definitely affect revenue and profits of the national flag carrier although global oil prices had dropped.

-- TNA 2008-09-11

He said the number of foreign tourists had so far fallen by 70 per cent and that of local tourists by 60 per cent with the hotel room occupancy dropping by 30-40 per cent.

uh???? does anybody check these figures nefore putting them in writing? they just don't make any sence at all

He said the number of foreign tourists had so far fallen by 70 per cent and that of local tourists by 60 per cent with the hotel room occupancy dropping by 30-40 per cent

He projected the number of foreign tourists visiting Thailand would drop by 300,000 in the fourth quarter of the year

I think this means that short term tourists (eg. Thais going away for the weekend or people laying over in Bangkok for a day or two on the way somewhere else) are staying home or going elsewhere. I'm sure the longer term tourists have dropped too, but you can't really tell by what proportion without further figures.

Cyborg22.

In your last posting It is implied that you are Thai by the comments you made.Please then explain to us how when you are overcharged your ''Thai wife'' gets upset.

Indeed I love the expression ''My Thai wife'' does this indicate that she is a trophy from your younger days, are our Thai ladies so different in their makeup that farangs have to state the obvious.

I do not refer to my wife as ''My English wife'' nor does she refer to me as ''Her Thai husband''.

By the use of the phrase ''My Thai wife you betray the fact that you are not Thai as you imply.Please if you cannot understand the truth around you or indeed find it unpalatable do at least try to tell the truth.

cheaper flights and good deals to be had soon then

Or a nice drop in the value of the Baht to encourage tourists would'nt go amiss either!

Don't hold your breath on this one! Many people have been saying for a long time that the Baht is too strong but the reality depends to some extent on just what you're trying to exchange it with. The UK Pound is having a hard time at present but the US Dollar rate is improving. The Euro is also holding up very well. The BoT has intervened recently to protect the value of the Baht and has also raised interest rates, which will further strengthen the currency.

Just how long the current situation will persist seems to be anyone's guess. The political uncertainty doesn't seem to be affecting things very much. I think that we've all been expecting / hoping for a downturn for quite a while but it just hasn't happened. Nothing really to be done anyway - just go with the flow and hope for better times ahead.

I was talking to a girl in a Pattaya 'Darkside' bar a couple of days ago. The TV was showing coverage of Samak lying, allegedly, to the Constitutional Court. All the bar staff were quite interested in what was transpiring but I was very surprised when this particular girl said, "Samak very bad man, same same Thaksin. Thailand kill Thailand!"

that is the way the most sophisticated and intellectual, the most scientific papers, scholarly pieces known to observers of the political situation in thailand getting compiled.

actually "Samak very bad man, same same Thaksin. Thailand kill Thailand" is pure PAD cult rhetoric. you can hear it at the PAD cult stage.

the first part maybe true but why "kill thailand"? not because he cheat the poor, it's because he conduct business with foreigners. thats why he betrayed thailand and no other reason. (if you follow PAD cult "logic") that old elite, "old money" is afraid of international business.

for foreigners is no place in the xenophobic "Thailand Über Alles" PAD cult.

makes the foreign proPAD cultists almost look like johnstown lemonade lovers. cheers.

i said almost, it is is shooting itself in the foot.

I know for foreigners living in Thailand or staying long term, it isn't such a problem, but there are the local thai people who do make a life on "high season" and wait with much hardship for the rain season to end and those in the South are waiting for the tourists..this is their livelihood. If we foreigners can calm our friends and family and let them know they are not going to be shot or put in jail at just by landing in a plane in Bangkok, let them know things are bigger on the news ...maybe they will come and see...if we want to make a life in Thailand we have to see how we can help our native local friends too...I have many good families in the South and they are very depressed and afraid..they see the lack and they talk to foreigners who are leaving or saying they are not coming back...these local people dont know how to change a work pattern in a matter of a month...they have invested savings in boats, bungalows, taxi cars...they rely on tourism...all I am saying is as a foreigner it wouldnt hurt to keep the fear factor of the political situation low and realistic...not as the news likes to focus in on a small window in the city of Bangkok...for business people coming here..a different story for sure...

Hopefully too, the Thai govt. may make a more supportive and positive change to the visa's possibly allowing long term people to have that privledge and have it made without the fear of loosing it, same for the senior types...there is a whole world of seniors who would love to come and check things out and arrange for 6 month vacations, but this is not an easy visa for someone who just wants to take it easy, not go and come back etc...

well thats my thoughts

I have often wondered why the Democrats have such a hold in the South if you go along with the premise that they are (covertly) pro PAD. What I mean is: is the South where most of the rich elitists live? (I'm living here but haven't been here that long to know much). Your friends, it appears, are being hurt by the PAD action. What are their views about PAD?

Air fares should come down price of oil is down. Interesting comment about farrangs and the PAD ralley. In the last go around here in Udon, some of the pro government were very insulting to a farrang walking down the street. That is very unusual in this area.

At first I thought well the were mau already. Wrong tuurns out soem of the local farrangs decided it was a fun evening a while back to join a PAD ralley and sing songs with them. The bottom line guys this not our business.

The Thai's I know don't forget things like that, not a good move.

Please do not neglect the fact that people who arrive here as tourists are getting totally fed up with the scams,rip offs and double pricing scenarios.People talk when they get back to their own country and the result is that sadly Thailand is regarded as rip off destination, dishonesty price gouging mediocre service and poor standards.These are the main factors affecting tourism,people in the main plan holidays months in advance not a day or two ahead.

Thailand's tourist authority needs to step in and level the playing field then perhaps there may be an increase in tourism.

Thailand sadly is now the laughing stock of the world due to the corruption and duplicity of its politicians who are interested in only themselves and how much money they can steal,a bunch of kindergarten kids could,and would do a better job running this country than the political social misfits currently abusing their positions.

I agree 100%. :o

I have often wondered why the Democrats have such a hold in the South if you go along with the premise that they are (covertly) pro PAD. What I mean is: is the South where most of the rich elitists live? (I'm living here but haven't been here that long to know much). Your friends, it appears, are being hurt by the PAD action. What are their views about PAD?

The democrats have such a strong hold locally as they are seen as anti-Bangkok (where incidentally most of the tax earnings from tourist income goes, without much benefit flowing back to the provinces).

I think personally airfares will keep rising. They will blame oil (which is getting cheaper, until OPEC changes that). Flights will get less and any competition on that front. The airlines will make more and spend less. The consumer will spend more and get less. The tourist centers will charge more (and probably get less).

We will only know for sure when the "high season" is supposed to be in full swing I guess.

The only way the rules will change to allow long term stayers to live here easier is if we all leave. Why change something when everyone is complying anyway and it is profitable.

The baht can't be propped up forever......surely, so what happens when that bubble bursts. Higher fuel prices? Price escalation? We may find ourselves getting better value on our home currencies only to find it doesn't go as far anyway.

Thailand is tied into the global recession. For me the exchange rate could be better (paid in $US) but having just had to stay in England I know I can afford to live a better lifestyle here than there.

The politics will sort itself out eventually as it has before. :o

Cyborg22.

In your last posting It is implied that you are Thai by the comments you made.Please then explain to us how when you are overcharged your ''Thai wife'' gets upset.

Indeed I love the expression ''My Thai wife'' does this indicate that she is a trophy from your younger days, are our Thai ladies so different in their makeup that farangs have to state the obvious.

I do not refer to my wife as ''My English wife'' nor does she refer to me as ''Her Thai husband''.

By the use of the phrase ''My Thai wife you betray the fact that you are not Thai as you imply.Please if you cannot understand the truth around you or indeed find it unpalatable do at least try to tell the truth.

I did not in anyway say i was thai, Maybe you should go back to school and learn english i said i was Thai birth. ( I was born in Kanchanaburi) But i do have Thai ancestry from very recent times from my mothers side.