Foreign Arrivals Drop Sharply Due To Political Turmoil

george

Hopefully too, the Thai govt. may make a more supportive and positive change to the visa's possibly allowing long term people to have that privledge and have it made without the fear of loosing it, same for the senior types...there is a whole world of seniors who would love to come and check things out and ...

yup, would be good but will not happen. with the PAD cult a movement show it's muscle, that is not only antidemocratic, also very nationalistic and xenophobic.

even if they don't size power they set up a very right wing view. no other party will dare a more open minded international opinion.

same as they threaten each other with lèse-majesté lawsuits, they will threaten each other with allegation of betrayal of the nation and the sell out to other countries. to avoid such pressure, and you cn see how threatening he PAD cult is, parties in thaland will rather run a competition who is more nationalistic and better nationalistic .

the dream of foreigner of owning a piece of land or obtaining resident status more easy have been canceled the last couple of month. canceled for this generation. ask in 30 years again.

you will rather see expropriation chavez style than anything more " supportive and positive" for foreign money, foreign investment and of course foreign people.

for the once getting the kick out currency exchange rate - thailand will stay cheap, the poor poor.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

cheaper flights and good deals to be had soon then

In my in box today an offer for £399 return heathrow bangkok on etihad - these were around £500 a few weeks ago - pity I dont have time for a trip right now! :o

if the prices are down to that imay take a trip home..

THAI Airways website - special offer BKK-LHR-BKK THB 12500 for right now

Economics:

"The baht can't be propped up forever......surely, so what happens when that bubble bursts. Higher fuel prices? Price escalation? We may find ourselves getting better value on our home currencies only to find it doesn't go as far anyway"

Again I don't need to own a peice of Thailand

Resident visa different ball game I would enjoy that little luxury. As things stand not goiing to happen. But many do leave as there is no security for them.

If things end up going the way they seem to be, time is coming that money will talk.

I don't see another 97. But, these days who knows.

If things get bad enough then there is window of opportunity. This country has enjoyed a huge rise in the economy for the past several years. That will slow no matter what happens in Politics. While thing are good your not going to get anyone to listen to an idea to change anything

So I have not given up hope yet, but the timing has to be right and the right official has to come up with the idea. It will never be accepted from us.

Remember we are not talking about making a mountain here we are talking about moving a few rocks. The program is already there.

Worse case I could always change to A marriage visa, get the work pemit pay some taxes and then apply. If I go get a job then I'm taking from someone who needs it I don't want to do that, I have enough.

So it's not even impossible now, but to have the government recognize the retiree program would be better for all. Several countries in the region have already done so, so not creating a new wheel.

User friendly brings money.

Politics:

The politics are going to fall in line when democracy is truly defined by the Thai's. At the moment everything hinges on the Constitution. No one document can not fully relate to the human experience. That is why most countries have laws that deal with public assembly and the right to free speech.

Thailand has not got there yet. But, that doesn't mean it never will. When those laws are enacted they will be tried agianst the Constitution from that will come case law to further define what is acceptable and what is not. They are not doing so bad for sixty very difficult years they have went through.

All these thing take time there are no instant answers. They made it Ok to express free speech, good OOPS but you can't take over government buildings, obstruct traffic and normal busineeses and schools to say what you want to say. Missed a bit didn't they. But you know what these things did not evolve in our country instantly and they will not here either.

So they are going through growing pains just like everyone else. Fifty years from now the law in Thailand will probably be much more specific as to these things such as free speech and the right to assemmbly. It's hard for me to be critical of such a new democracy.

The what if's can drive you nuts, given the time they will get there.

Lets face it guys if we wanted just like what we left, we probably made mistake in leaving. I don't want what I left and only hope the can work through these things with the least amount of pain.

I watch am "forced" to watch channel 3 in the morning and I count the number of times people send in an SMS message stating how much they love the king, love Thailand and love Thai people..

These SMS messages flood in daily.

I'm thinking this: If Thai people love the King so much they sure don't show it by putting him through yearly stress as he sees the politicians tear this place apart.

It's the same bunch who wear yellow to show their support of his majesty and yet they repay him by letting him watch another fiasco which ruins his country and makes a laughing stock of it.

How sad it must be for his majesty to build this country up, bring his people together and then watch as the slimey politicians fight over which corrupt group lines their pockets the most.

I feel sorry for his majesty and wish his people could feel enough love to let him see out his years in a country no longer tearing apart the hard work he does for this country.

I think personally airfares will keep rising. They will blame oil (which is getting cheaper, until OPEC changes that). Flights will get less and any competition on that front. The airlines will make more and spend less. The consumer will spend more and get less. The tourist centers will charge more (and probably get less).

We will only know for sure when the "high season" is supposed to be in full swing I guess.

Another Phenomenon I wish to add is that in the days I came here to this island, one may have paid 750.- Baht for nice comfortable accommodation, a massage with some local guy was 100-150 max...went to eat at a local place fresh seafood 150.- p. Pers. flight to bangkok 1280.- o.w. few bars then, the "main road" was half it's size, all secondary roads were dirt tracks, if there was a car it was "wow, a car", songtheaows may hve shown on the main road every 20-30 minutes and chaweng - nathon was 5 Baht for ALL!

Then there was no fancy Pub, no fancy "Spa", no fancy Massage, Aroma Therapy, no fancy, Starbucks, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, no <deleted> giant shopping mall with a/c, no fancy this or that, but much of what there was, was Thai, adventure, the feeling to be at some very exotic and distant place, even a water buffalo was some exiting appearance..

in those days there were maybe 2-3 restaurants which catered for the wary, homesick traveler, some potato salad, chips, maybe something as exotic as pizza or close enough to resamble one and what a western trained belly could miss, no fancy "New Zealand Scallops in puerto rican, chocolate mousse with philippine coconut rum brulee", no fancy "black Pasta with green curry cream on a bed of seaweed"... for 380 Baht for the entree...tex Mex, Steaks from Australia and the US, Vegemite and Marmite, Coopers and Franziskaner, Guiness, Strongbow, Millers, San Miguel, Bungalows for 600 US$... houses for xxx millions... full moon parties, o commercialized that anybody who is there could be in Amsterdam, in Paris, in Brussels in Frisco... name it... it's not anymore about the place, it's about how much... fun, sex, food, entertainment and if it cracked my credit card or not...

then slowly but surely money poured in, value of the land crept up, more travellers, more rooms, more this, more that, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more and more... and ever bigger, higher, dearer everything became and certainly NOT better!

well and now some wonder, some claim it's this, some claim it's that... I firmly believe it's what I have pictured above is big, big part of the reason and figure that it will drop further in the long run!

Recently a news commentator promoted the idea that the "State of Emergency" decree imposed by Samak is the reason for decreased tourism in Thailand. No mention was made of other factors which might have negatively impacted Thailand's tourism industry.

Airport closures by protesters. Union's role in idling trains and buses. Union's threat of shutting off power and water services. Ongoing mass protests. Deadly street riots. Invasion of a government operated TV station. Worldwide financial climate. High cost of jet fuel. International media coverage focused on a country in turmoil. The vetting of Thai politics on expat forums. These accumulated issues were never addressed.

The “blame game” (reciprocal political spin) is always a poor substitute for genuine dialog, especially when it is played by uncompromising parties with allies in the news media. People who support a cause based on biased views (or other forms of misinformation) may end up championing a lost cause.

Possibly, some travelers will delay or rethink their trip to Thailand while the country struggles with its political identity. Hopefully, Thailand's evolving political identity will include more transparency and accountability. Maybe, members of the news media could assist Thailand by desisting from biased news reporting. What good are the facts if they end up being manipulated by some members of the press?

I am an airline employee and have as such access to accurate informations on the direct carriers. The occupancy on flights in december is up to a level I haven`t seen in a decade.

I'm very curious to hear more from you....

Shoot with your info about inbound tourism in the PAST months of 2008 so far and the months to come.

Which accurate informations on the direct carriiers do you have access to ?

LaoPo

Actual bookings in the months to come and records of occupancy on flights of the past on SK og TG.

I`d say that should provide a rather actual picture.

Please note that I specifically wrote that everything in my post was pertaining to my own country of origin.

I seriously would like to know the language of your user-name. This is an honest question. Also, from what Scandinavian city(s) are there direct flights to BKK?

pescator? It is a distortion of the latin piscator. Fisherman.

Direct flights from Scandia? CPH STO

It seems that Tawp missed the point again.

The PPP has proven themselves to be an inept disaster. Continuing on will cause a huge amount of damage to the country. Definately financial problems and possibly a lot of blood will flow. So what if they were elected by about 50% of the votes. Would they get as many votes today? Unlikely! Hitler was elected. Would you use the elected argument to support him?

PPP should consult Toxin's fortune teller to see what is about to happen to the political chaos. I would describe what PPP is doing, not as shooting themselves in the foot, but more like pulling the pin on a hand grenade and then falling on it.

I think you should try to read my post again.

I clearly pointed out to ANOTHER poster that PPP wasn't voted in by the majority [and therefor isn't a party supported by the majority].

I do appreciate your support for the cause tho'.

I obviously misread the election result then. So the PPP Taksin party didn't win the election, they were just handed the government by the Bangkok power brokers that dislike them because it seemed like a good idea at the time?

Cyborg22

I and our family live here because we choose to,why do you live here if you have business in the U.K. ? Reading your postings indeed your are not the most erudite of people one meets.perhaps the fact that I do hold dual nationality and the right of abode in both England and Thailand means I am not a foreigner speaking but someone who actually has a stake in this country.

I can and do own property in my own right here no not a condo either.Perhaps I want what is best for my country or countries and my fellow citizens,our children too, a decent corruption free society.

I don't need a yearly visa either here or the U.K,are you in that position or could you be sent packing if all farang's were told to go ?

You don't know who I am and I have no desire to know who you are,however reading your posts I see a patronising farang who is bigoted and self serving with no desire to see change for the better nor can you see the truth.

Took you a long time to reply to that didn't it. For one i am not bigoted and i want what is best for this country, But it is not like small minded people like you who put down the country you live in.

Yes i have businesses in the uk and i choose to live in Thailand for one simple reason, The people here are more respectful and good hearted not so some of the farang that live here. I also own property in my own right being of Thai birth.

Why don't you boys kiss and make up, then go and grab a couple beers and rounds of karaoke together. :o

I think you should rethink. The economy was just fine before the bankrupt media mogul :D:D started his revenge crusade. How some informed foreigner can be on the side of Sonthi and cohorts beats me. :D:o

Friendly regards Didi

LOS=Land of Stupid (people) should be the new motto of the Samak or Somchai led government.

A government led by arrogant, stupid thieves and idiots. (and their relatives)

You ain't seen nothin yet! Here comes the violence whether it be Somchai or Samak.

This year the high season will be non existant and it may continue that way for years.

Cyborg22

I and our family live here because we choose to,why do you live here if you have business in the U.K. ? Reading your postings indeed your are not the most erudite of people one meets.perhaps the fact that I do hold dual nationality and the right of abode in both England and Thailand means I am not a foreigner speaking but someone who actually has a stake in this country.

I can and do own property in my own right here no not a condo either.Perhaps I want what is best for my country or countries and my fellow citizens,our children too, a decent corruption free society.

I don't need a yearly visa either here or the U.K,are you in that position or could you be sent packing if all farang's were told to go ?

You don't know who I am and I have no desire to know who you are,however reading your posts I see a patronising farang who is bigoted and self serving with no desire to see change for the better nor can you see the truth.

Took you a long time to reply to that didn't it. For one i am not bigoted and i want what is best for this country, But it is not like small minded people like you who put down the country you live in.

Yes i have businesses in the uk and i choose to live in Thailand for one simple reason, The people here are more respectful and good hearted not so some of the farang that live here. I also own property in my own right being of Thai birth.

Why don't you boys kiss and make up, then go and grab a couple beers and rounds of karaoke together. :o

Albert , you are obviously joking , mislead or an absolute troll , rethink what you wrote , you are a person of such erudite conviction , you hold dual citizenship , is that because of your total conviction or because you have hidden doubts of yourself or your chosen place of abode ? You want the best for YOUR country and its citizens , which one would you consider yourself to be a true and loyal citizen of ? Having buisness in England for whatever reason , what 'Stake' do you , in reality , hold in thailand ? You come across as a patronising bigot in your own right , beware the ides of March !!!!

FARANG.................The word used by Thai people when refering to certain foriegners.

BARANG.................The word used by Cambodian people when refering to certain foriegners.

I been to Cambodia a few times and have only heard the word Barang used once.

I was told that Cambodians are taught how it's disrepectful to address someone using the word Barang.

it has more to do with then just politics..only 34.50 to the usa..overpriced..from land to houses..to food..you can't own anything..condos yes you can no you can't yes you can..flights 1500-2500 usd..thailand has wanted foreigners out..love their money thou..well thailand is getting what they asked for..i can get 560 to the usd in costa rica..own my house and land..and the hookers are better looking..my wife and i have a house in thailand..she can go back if she wants..i'm heading south..and as far as the chinese go they are taking their vacations to macau..your not going to see them coming back to thailand..thailand forgot we don't need to go there..this is a big world with plenty of third world countries who would love to have us live in their countries and spend our money and were our money is worth more..with beautiful beaches ,women and cheaper prices.

FARANG.................The word used by Thai people when refering to certain foriegners.

BARANG.................The word used by Cambodian people when refering to certain foriegners.

I was told that Cambodians are taught how it's disrepectful to address someone using the word Barang.

Never heard this but will check with Cambodian freind. Thanks for this.

The teachings of both Thailand and Cambodia come from the same origins , Thais seem to have forgotten about respect , especialy towards the elderly , Cambodians on the other hand show considertable amounts of respect , especialy towards the elderly .The origins of many things considered Thai had their origins in Cambodia , which once ruled the majority of Thailand , religion , dancing and oh yes , even Mai-Thai ????? The Thais have very short memories when it comes down to nationalism , they realy have very little to brag about .

I'm 50, and I find that I get more respect in Thailand, than I ever got in any other country that I lived or travelled. I have been living in Thailand for about 6 years now and can only say good things, about the way I have been treated. I pay Thai prices, when I shop, eat, or go to National Parks. I don't get gouched by workers, whom I hire occationally, to look after my land and everyone seems to treat me pretty fair so far.

I love the weather, riding my Harley around Thailand, which offers so many different things to see. I enjoy the beaches, the mountains and the rice plains.

There is so much over here for tourists to do.

As far as this thread goes, maybe more people should tune into ASTV and watch the parties at night. Quite a few foreigners showed up at Government house today. (Almost looked like a tourist attraction) :D

If people get past the Propaganda out there and just take a look for themselves, they will see, that things are quite peaceful.

http://wwitv.com/portal.htm?http://wwitv.c...nnels/b2973.htm

The military didn't play along with Samak's game. They protesters where allowed to stay and Samak got kicked out.

I see this whole thing resolved, before high season starts. If not, it is confined to a very small area anyways, so no worries for tourists.

I am more concerned about the high airfares and high fuel prices. They are affecting travel to every destination these days.

Anyways, have a good night everybody. Hope everyone has a save night. (Don't trip over your beer bottles) :o

I'm 50, and I find that I get more respect in Thailand, than I ever got in any other country that I lived or travelled. I have been living in Thailand for about 6 years now and can only say good things, about the way I have been treated. I pay Thai prices, when I shop, eat, or go to National Parks. I don't get gouched by workers, whom I hire occationally, to look after my land and everyone seems to treat me pretty fair so far.

I love the weather, riding my Harley around Thailand, which offers so many different things to see. I enjoy the beaches, the mountains and the rice plains.

As far as this thread goes, maybe more people should tune into ASTV and watch the parties at night. Quite a few foreigners showed up at Government house today. (Almost looked like a tourist attraction) :D

If people get past the Propaganda out there and just take a look for themselves, they will see, that things are quite peaceful.

The military didn't play along with Samak's game. They protesters where allowed to stay and Samak got kicked out.

I see this whole thing resolved, before high season starts. If not, it is confined to a very small area anyways, so no worries for tourists.

I am more concerned about the high airfares and high fuel prices. They are affecting travel to every destination these days.

Anyways, have a good night everybody. Hope everyone has a save night. (Don't trip over your beer bottles) :o

NEWS FLASH , you do not or cannot own land in thailand , over 50 and still have not got the message , Thailand is for Thais , you are only welcome for your money , no matter how much you love it driving around on your Harley(noise-bucket) . AS long as you keep spending YOUR money you will get some kind of respect , but it is more for the dollar than you , do not believe me , stop doling out the dollars and see how deep the respect goes . Yes , Thailand is a fabulous land for tourists to travel around and about , but do not hold your breath just yet about troubles being localised , which they are not , they have touched the length and breadth of the country in some way or another , just that the brunt of it has been in BKK . Come out from behind your smoked face shield and take a real look at reality , the reality that faces all foreigners in one way or another that seem to think this is their retirement home , wish you well in your disneyland of expectations .

Oh , incidentally , i do not drink beer , bad for the brain and the (huge) gut .

NEWS FLASH , you do not or cannot own land in thailand , over 50 and still have not got the message , Thailand is for Thais , you are only welcome for your money , no matter how much you love it driving around on your Harley(noise-bucket) . AS long as you keep spending YOUR money you will get some kind of respect , but it is more for the dollar than you , do not believe me , stop doling out the dollars and see how deep the respect goes . Yes , Thailand is a fabulous land for tourists to travel around and about , but do not hold your breath just yet about troubles being localised , which they are not , they have touched the length and breadth of the country in some way or another , just that the brunt of it has been in BKK . Come out from behind your smoked face shield and take a real look at reality , the reality that faces all foreigners in one way or another that seem to think this is their retirement home , wish you well in your disneyland of expectations .

Oh , incidentally , i do not drink beer , bad for the brain and the (huge) gut .

another happy expat :D

Cyborg22

Albert , you are obviously joking , mislead or an absolute troll , rethink what you wrote , you are a person of such erudite conviction , you hold dual citizenship , is that because of your total conviction or because you have hidden doubts of yourself or your chosen place of abode ? You want the best for YOUR country and its citizens , which one would you consider yourself to be a true and loyal citizen of ? Having buisness in England for whatever reason , what 'Stake' do you , in reality , hold in thailand ? You come across as a patronising bigot in your own right , beware the ides of March !!!!

Thanks Dumball.

I knew there was someone on here besides me that could see past the shallownes of some.

As for kiss and make up. i wouldn't kiss him with yours lol. Might catch some of his bigotry or worse.

I watch am "forced" to watch channel 3 in the morning and I count the number of times people send in an SMS message stating how much they love the king, love Thailand and love Thai people..

I'm thinking this: If Thai people love the King so much they sure don't show it by putting him through yearly stress as he sees the politicians tear this place apart.

It's the same bunch who wear yellow to show their support of his majesty and yet they repay him by letting him watch another fiasco which ruins his country and makes a laughing stock of it.

How sad it must be for his majesty to build this country up, bring his people together and then watch as the slimey politicians fight over which corrupt group lines their pockets the most.

I feel sorry for his majesty and wish his people could feel enough love to let him see out his years in a country no longer tearing apart the hard work he does for this country.

Well said.

Well said.

It is well said, But sadly i think that Thailand has many years of turmoil to come. They really do love their king but they are in a situation where they have come to love money more. Not their fault more a fault of the installed system in Thailand