Why Do You Support The Club You Do?

rixalex

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Closest top league club to where I grew up, try walking around with a manc shirt on and see what happens to you lololol

So you're a scouser then? :)

How dare you ! I demand you take that back straight away :D:D:D:D Add liverfool, leeds, scum, spuds, Millwall and spammers shirt to my list then take another guess :D

Gooner i reckon

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. My family is Christian but coming from Glasgow there are Christians and then there are Catholics.

Religious bigotry isn't just confined to sections of Rangers and Celtic I see.

Impossible to be a bigot in such a family. I used to go to a protestant school but on a Sunday I went to catholic mass with my sisters.

. My family is Christian but coming from Glasgow there are Christians and then there are Catholics.

Impossible to be a bigot in such a family. I used to go to a protestant school but on a Sunday I went to catholic mass with my sisters.

How do you distinguish between there being "Christians and then there are Catholics" then ? Seems like two sides of the same coin to me.

How do you distinguish between there being "Christians and then there are Catholics" then ? Seems like two sides of the same coin to me.

HH I think that you are misreading what he actually meant, if he had left the "then" out I don't think there would even be this debate. Knowing Macanello, he certainly is not a bigot, and if you look a little closer to what he actually said, his mother is Catholic and his father is protestant.

Im not from England.

But I started to follow my team, which happens to be Man U, sometime around 1973-4 I think.

I think they just came up from the old 2nd division that year.

So long ago Im not 100% sure exactly when it was.

I dont even remember why I started to follow them.

Guess it just happens.

I still remember the admiration I had for Martin Buckan, Lou Macari, Gordon Hill, and Steve Coppel.

I remember clearly that I was the only one among my friends that liked them.

1 of my friends liked Chelsea, and all the rest liked Liverpool.

My God, how much heat I received from the other kids that liked Liverpool.

Especially since it took some time before they started to win something.

A lot of teasing.

I guess that is when I started to develop "not to like" Liverpool.

:)

But I clearly remember that Man U beat Liverpool in an FA cup.

Around 1975-6??

Ohhh, it is so long ago now.

Then I had a childhood memory I never forget.

Of some reason, my father, whom was not that interested in football, bought me a kit, which happened to be Man City's kit.

:D

I remember how nice it was.

And my frustration.

My parents forced me to wear it when I played football with my friends, since they had spent money on it.

I used it when we played football in the back yard.

I guess that was when I started to not like man City.

Asking people here in BKK why they support a certain team, they dont know.

Even though they have only supported that team for 2-3 years.

HH I think that you are misreading what he actually meant, if he had left the "then" out I don't think there would even be this debate. Knowing Macanello, he certainly is not a bigot, and if you look a little closer to what he actually said, his mother is Catholic and his father is protestant.

I'm not illiterate, I read that latter qualification too. However, the "then" in that sentence puts a whole different complex on saying that A. There are Christians and there are Catholics. And, B, what was as actually written which assumes a differentation between the two. I'm willing to accept that the sentence was clumsily constructed. But I can only read what's presented before me, as it's written and without any ambiguity.

I'm not illiterate, I read that latter qualification too. However, the "then" in that sentence puts a whole different complex on saying that A. There are Christians and there are Catholics. And, B, what was as actually written which assumes a differentation between the two. I'm willing to accept that the sentence was clumsily constructed. But I can only read what's presented before me, as it's written and without any ambiguity.

Okay mate, I should have said misinterpreting what he actually meant. Yes, I agree that the construction was a little clumsy. :) You know I'm not digging at you.

Okay mate, I should have said misinterpreting what he actually meant. Yes, I agree that the construction was a little clumsy. :) You know I'm not digging at you.

I thought you was, for sure...

I thought you was, for sure...

I wouldn't do that to HH Singhy. :D

I have supported Partick Thistle since I was 10. My family is Christian but coming from Glasgow there are Christians and then there are Catholics. I wasn't allowed to support Rangers or Celtic as it would upset the family religious balance. (mum is Catholic, dad is Protestant).

So I was shipped out to Maryhill, home of the Maryhill Magyars better known as Partick Thistle.

I got lucky as Thistle won the Scottish League Cup in my first season beating Celtic 4-1. They haven't won anything since though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I am Thistle through and through and would never change alliegance to any other team.

Mac

billy connolly said that he grew up in glasgow thinking that the team's full name was 'partick thistle nil'. :)

as an alien from another planet and not familiar with some of the terrestric behaviour i dare to ask the question "how does one support a football club?"

donations? prayers? beating up the wife, kicking the dog, beheading the neighbour who supports another club or demolishing cars and shop windows if/when the club loses a match? :)

It was a combination of all them when i were a YOUNG UN hehehehehehehe

In the autumn of '57, Dad came home from work and said "Peter, get your shoes and coat on, you're coming out with me." "Where to, Dad?" He never told me but I went to a posh house about a mile away. Well. compared to our house, it was posh! Mum had 6 kids in 8 years so you can imaginw what the house was like. We went in and I was given a glass of lemonade and a packet of crisps - we normally got things like that on high days and holidays!

A few minutes later, the front door opened and a group of men walked in, one of them said "Hello, Mum." It was Billy Foulkes and a few of his team mates. I had a kick-about in the back garden with Billy, Duncan Edwards, Tommy Taylor and a few more! I did get their autographs, what happened to them? About a week after I got married, I went to pick a few things up and Mum said "You don't live here anymore so I threw them out!" All of my childhood 'treasures' had gone!

I have not been to a match for years - why? It's down to cost, prices kept going up & up and I decided that enough was enough!

Not a Man U fan what so ever but wowwwwwwwwwwww,meeting them greats would have been brilliant and a shame your mum threw the stuff out,would have ben worth a fortune now.

Supported my team from the age of 9,when my dad let me go with him,and all the family support the same team.After my first game i was hooked,and totaly memorised by the loudness,intimidation,and madness of the whole occasion.From 14 i went to all away matches too,sneaking on the bus and hiding under the back seat and jumping over the turnstiles,truly madness but had no money.

I didn't really get into footie until I was 16 or circa 91 - I'd been too busy on off-road motorbikes from the ages of 10 to 16 to take much notice of football. That was when I first attended a Stoke game with a friend (although my brother had been a long time supporter already) and that was about it! Even though Stoke were at nigh on their lowest ebb it didn't bother me one bit - then Lou Macari turned up and the whole experience became way more enjoyable! :) Now 18 years or so later I am reveling in our latest success and infamy!

I suppose that I was very lucky to be alive when my team made it to the top tier of English Football, many Reading fans never got the chance.

I will never forget our first year, what a fantastic season. I was there on the opening day to see us beat Boro 3-2 , and it just got better.

My only regret was that I was living here in Thailand and could not see many games live, I saw only 2 that year, but saw every other game on TV.

It was a "once in a lifetime" experience, one I may not see again, even if we did get back we will never finish higher than 8th again :D

Now there are only 2 players left at the club that were there that season, thats out of a squad of 28!!, and it was only 3 years ago!!

Still I could never support anyone else, rough with the smooth, ask Moss, I am sure he remembers Oxford's two years in the top flight, Reading fans were dead jealous then...and I was living in Oxford at the time :)

I have never lived in Reading, but lived equidistant between Reading and Oxford in a place called Wallingford. In 1979 I moved up from London.

When I lived in London I followed QPR as they were my local team, but not in the way I have supported Reading, but I do remember going a lot in 1975-6 season when Rangers were just pipped to the old divison one title by Liverpool on goal difference in the days of Bowles, Francis, and Thomas, all 3 England Interantionals at the time......funny that I have only ever supported the only 2 teams in the football league that wear blue and white hoops!! :D

My eldest son actually managed the clbs megastore when it opened 11 years ago, I still manage to get good discounts from the shop so that a plus :D

I didn't really get into footie until I was 16 or circa 91 - I'd been too busy on off-road motorbikes from the ages of 10 to 16 to take much notice of football. That was when I first attended a Stoke game with a friend (although my brother had been a long time supporter already) and that was about it! Even though Stoke were at nigh on their lowest ebb it didn't bother me one bit - then Lou Macari turned up and the whole experience became way more enjoyable! :) Now 18 years or so later I am reveling in our latest success and infamy!

Ay Up Tech Ow At duck lol.After the lowest times of my life with the likes of Alan sodding Ball i am slobbering with delight at the mighty Potters

Heard much of Soi Cowboy,i saw him a couple of weeks ago in Pattaya

GOARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRN STOKE

i knew some smarty pants will come along and say some wise words like that :)

Sorry :D

I meant to say "languishing in 9th" :D

far be it for me to point out that if anyone is qualified to comment on this position, normally it is Mr BJ. :D Joking aside, I think the Gunners must be quite worried about their position vis-a-vis finishing at least 4th this year.

far be it for me to point out that if anyone is qualified to comment on this position, normally it is Mr BJ. :D Joking aside, I think the Gunners must be quite worried about their position vis-a-vis finishing at least 4th this year.

alan hansen made a valid point on match of the day about that. if united, chelsea or liverpool play well, then they'll win. arsenal have a bad habit of playing well and still not winning matches. that could hurt them this season big time.

alan hansen made a valid point on match of the day about that. if united, chelsea or liverpool play well, then they'll win. arsenal have a bad habit of playing well and still not winning matches. that could hurt them this season big time.

especially with City and Spurs (despite last sat) doing relatively well. Spurs are really missing Dawson IMO. Giving up too many for a top four team at the moment.

especially with City and Spurs (despite last sat) doing relatively well.

What do you mean "relatively" well? I know it's only the start of the season but we are doing better than United. We have maximum points at the minute, how much better can we do? And for a team that has only just been put together. Prey tell, what criteria do you use for "relatively" and "exceptional"? Typical RAG, can't give any praise, even when it is due.

especially with City and Spurs (despite last sat) doing relatively well.

What do you mean "relatively" well? I know it's only the start of the season but we are doing better than United. We have maximum points at the minute, how much better can we do? And for a team that has only just been put together. Prey tell, what criteria do you use for "relatively" and "exceptional"? Typical RAG, can't give any praise, even when it is due.

come off it mr bj, take the sand out of your eyes. the first two matches you were lucky to get anything. Anyways the term relatively is just that mate, relative. Let's see how you are doing come the end of the season. I recon you will be top four if you stay healthy at the back.

and for the record mate, I wasn't one of those RAGs (or others) that said you were a small team blah blah blah. I do think you have a team to cause some grief this year - just not this coming weekend. :)

come off it mr bj, take the sand out of your eyes. the first two matches you were lucky to get anything.

And I suppose United were'nt lucky last week against Arsenal ? I did also say I know it's only the start of season. There is still a long long way to but I would argue that we are still doing better than anyone expected.

come off it mr bj, take the sand out of your eyes. the first two matches you were lucky to get anything.

And I suppose United were'nt lucky last week against Arsenal ? I did also say I know it's only the start of season. There is still a long long way to but I would argue that we are still doing better than anyone expected.

We weren't lucky, they were unlucky mate. Anyways, really looking forward to this weekend. :)

We weren't lucky, they were unlucky mate.

Same, same. Their misfortune was your luck

Anyways, really looking forward to this weekend. :)

Ditto that. I've even had the new away shirt sent out to me, especially for the occasion. :D