Drinking And Driving

Neeranam

When I used to drink, I used to say that I could drink and drive as well as some old codger with slow reflexes. I used to come up with all kinds of justifications like what about those people taking prescribed antidepressants etc, they shouldn't be allowed to drive.

The truth is, when I was drinking, I never could afford a car. I did however drive a couple of times under the influence, luckily not causing any harm to others or myself.

Does anyone know how much the chances of an accident increase after drinking?

In Thailand they will be more, with all the motorbikes all over the place and general disorder.

What do you do if you see someone drinking and then driving - do you let them, do you say anything?

I used to say that I could drive better after a couple of drinks - anyone who says this is an alcoholic.

I very nearly killed someone during one Songkran - a motorbike with two guys on it appeared from nowhere - one of them waving a bottle of whisky!

Shouldn't be allowed and , fo course, isn't.

Any ideas on how to stop it?

Do you ever drink and drive, be honest!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good topic!

> What do you do if you see someone drinking and then driving -

> do you let them, do you say anything?

I only say something if they really seem to be under influence, bordering drunk. In that case I check with them and ask if they can still drive, but in the end it's up to them, and I did my moral duty. :o

Personally, let me first state that I live in Chiang Mai where you can't just pick from a pile of cheap meter taxis to take you home for 50 baht, when you live outside of town like many people do. I do drink 'some' and drive. At times this may be over the legal limit in my own country (which is strict) but likely at or under the Thai limit.

Overall, for myself, the most dangerous I feel is when driving when tired. Second is mobile phone use (with hands-free or not), resulting in about the same amount of extra risk/danger as driving after a few glasses. (Recent research shows this; ok the point was likely to prove how dangerous mobile phone use is, but that it is in fact about the same as driving after a few glasses of alcohol didn't escape me. It is my personal feeling as well.

Also it depends a lot on what alcohol does to your mindset. Some people start driving like lunatics, other recognize their reflexes may be slower and adjust their driving style and driving route home accordingly. I know of some people that I'm FAR more comfortable in the car with after they had something to drink compared to sober & agressive! This is not saying I or they are alcoholics, this is my personal feeling after they drank something and I did not!

Cheers,

Chanchao

Did for years. I thank God that I never got in an accident, hurt or killed someone or myself.

Was let go by police at least 4 times that I can remember when I was ploughed.

Just lucky?

Haven't done that in about three years now. In my opinion it's just about one of the most stupid things you one can do.

As the victim of a drunk driver shortly before Songkran, I would like to say:

"Anyone who drinks and drives deserves to go to prison."

My only sorrow is that I was unable to charge the ****** with assault causing grievous bodily harm (as I ended up in hospital).

Moreover, as a UBC messenger, he had no money, so everyone felt sorry for him, and he got away with it! Sometimes, when my neck is particularly painful (usually when I'm tired - the result of the accident was one of the smaller bones in my neck was chipped - amongst other things that have since healed), I think of my new found friend, down the pub (with money he tells me he has not got), having learnt nothing from the experience, as I move on with my new found life of pain.

Drunk drivers are <deleted> - period!

And, as the saying goes, "the Devil looks after his own", so not only are they <deleted>, but they're living <deleted>. Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if people got drunk and wrote themselves off, but they so rarely do...

SM :o

PS - Chanchao: what a load of <deleted>! The justification in your post just makes me sizzle with anger. Driving when tired is no more defensible than DUI. Likewise for mobile phone use when driving.

Sadly its a fact of life that is accepted when you are up-country.

There aren't taxi's everywhere, many people don't plan their evenings all that well.

I don't do it and I don't agree with it. I suppose its one thing from Australia I cannot disregard.

The number of horrific accidents caused by drunk drivers, and particularly when they are driving a Songtael or pickup full of the impoverished. When the immenant disaster comes, "Oh they had Bad Luck"

Never & I hate drinking on flights as well, ever since I got pissed over Persia and woke up at Gatwick with bad hangover..... AD 1972

My ex-TGF told me once that she could drive better when pissed.... we parted soon after.

She lives in Kanch and her name is Kamlai.... be warned! (no licence either) :o

The guys who still regularly drink and drive are very quiet.

I live upcountry and I would say that half the farang I know drive drunk.

About 95% of drinkers drive drunk.

It seems to be accepted as being ok, doesn't mean that we should do it.

Usually when alcohol is mentioned in a thread there are heaps of guys bragging about what they do when drunk. Come on guys share your drunken driving exploits with us.

PS - Chanchao: what a load of <deleted>! The justification in your post just makes me sizzle with anger. Driving when tired is no more defensible than DUI. Likewise for mobile phone use when driving.

I thought it was a fair point. At least Chanchao knows when he is at risk.

^ I like it. Unfortunately though, IME it is not Dick who dies, but Tom (some poor guy just going about his business).

Anyone who advocates DUI in Thailand (or actively participates in it) need only think of the wasted talent lost on our roads at Songkran and New Year, year-in year-out - regardless of any ineffectual Govt. policy. Clearly this issue needs to be addressed. However, in all likelihood, this year will be just as bad as the last - and, in all fairness, I usually participate in that sick "guess the death toll" game each New Year and Songkran holiday... :o No doubt I'll be doing it again this year.

rather timely:

EDITORIAL I: The frightening cost of death

The Nation November 23, 2004 Tuesday

The fatality rate on Aseans chaotic roads is exacting a terrible social and economic toll

The estimated death toll of 385,000 men, women and children, and millions others injured or maimed in Southeast Asia over the next five years sounds more like the casualty count from a major armed conflict. However, there arent any large-scale wars in the region. The projected loss of lives and injuries are attributable to one single, man-made factor road safety, or the lack thereof. According to the Asian Development Bank, which sponsored an in-depth report, some 75,000 people were killed and more than 4.7 million injured or disabled for life in road accidents in Southeast Asian countries last year.

This startling revelation was among a litany of grim statistics publicised by the ADB, aimed at drumming up support among the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) for the drafting of a five-year Regional Road Safety Strategy and Action Plan.

Asean groups Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.

The proposed coordinated approach to improving road safety is due to be discussed today at an Asean transport ministers meeting in Phnom Penh.

The well-researched report was bound to raise eyebrows but not because Southeast Asians are squeamish about the loss of precious human lives to senseless road mishaps, many if not most of which are preventable after all, life continues to be a cheap commodity in most Asean countries. Rather, the report grabs the attention because of the thoroughness with which the researchers collected mismatched sets of data from 10 different countries, harmonised facts and figures and crunched numbers to produce a report that provides insights and a sense of perspective for policymakers and the general public.

If the sheer number of people killed and maimed on Southeast Asias deadly highways and byways fails to move or stir governments and peoples into action, perhaps the staggering economic cost from traffic deaths and injuries could do the trick'

According to the ADB, if nothing is done to improve road safety, not only will some 385,000 people die, with millions of others injured and maimed, traffic accidents will also incur an economic cost of over US$88 billion (Bt3.5trillion). Annual economic losses from road accidents are put at around $15 billion, or 2.2 per cent of the regions total gross domestic product.

In other words, life may continue to be cheap in this part of the world, but the economic cost associated with untimely, preventable deaths of otherwise able-bodied, tax-paying, productive members of the society comes with a price. One has only to think about the lost income, lost productivity, property damage, medical bills, social problems and other burdens on society to appreciate the magnitude of the problems caused by the lack of road safety.

Surely no society can sustain such huge casualties and ballooning economic cost and still expect to achieve sustainable economic and social development.

It is still not clear what form the proposed regional strategy and action plan to improve road safety in the region will take, and whether it will be effective. But at least one thing is clear for Thailand: out of the 10 Asean countries, Thailand recorded the highest number of deaths 13,116 reported to police in 2003. Although there were discrepancies between the deaths reported to the police and estimates based on local research, health statistics and sample surveys, the grim situation Thailand is in cannot be overstated.

In monetary terms, Indonesia loses the most in the region, amounting to $6.03 billion per year (or 2.91 per cent of its annual GDP), followed by Thailand at $3 billion (2.1 per cent of GDP).

Surely, leading the countries in the region with level of road carnage, compounded by runaway economic cost, is not something Thailand should be proud of. Its high time the Thai authorities and members of the public took the initiative to slow down and avert the countrys ######-bent rush along its killer roads toward economic disaster.We can start with strict enforcement of traffic laws. Because too many Thai motorists have little or no regard for human life, perhaps including their own, strict enforcement must be backed by strong deterrents, including steep fines and mandatory jail terms for reckless motorists causing death and injury, regardless of their economic or social status.

> But usually I passed out in the car for at least one hour

> before driving tongue.gif

I did that once. But that tends to combine the 'driving when tired' AND 'driving when drunk' all at the same time. If you're going to do that then just get a hotel or guesthouse and sleep until the morning. Oh yes: And even in the morning be VERY careful: After a serious party, your driving skills at 7am the next day are NOT back to 100% !

> PS - Chanchao: what a load of <deleted>! The justification in your post

> just makes me sizzle with anger. Driving when tired is no more

> defensible than DUI. Likewise for mobile phone use when driving.

Its by no means a justification. I do however notice that people start to sizzle with anger selectively. Like I can write about the time I drove in one go from Krabi to Chiang Mai, occasionally struggling against sleep, and NOT get flamed to death. Write somewhere you drive after 3 Singhas and you got a good chance at that. :o

The most drunk I've driven was actually quite recently after some party. When I got home I fell asleep in the wrong room! I was on my bike though, as in bicycle, if that make a difference. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

I was down south a couple of months ago, staying with a friend. Whenever we went out, he was really careful not to have a drink at all.

He told me that DD laws were now being enforced in Phuket - he's 70 km north. When I asked what the penalties were, I'm sure he said that for a farang, it was a couple days locked up and a fine for the first offence. For the second, it was deportation.

Perhaps someone living there has more info?

I have to admit I do do it sometimes, never while in BKK, pattaya ect, no need as there are loads of taxi"s around. There is nothing up here, and after about 8-9 in the night very little trafic of any kind.

Usually my wifes drives as she does'nt usually drink or If I go and visit friends on my own, I usually stay and come home the next day.

I was told by a Thai that it was not actually against the law to drink and drive.

PS, he also said that the limit was 40 mgs of alcohol. In the Uk it's 80. Suppose a large beer chang is out of the question if that's correct.

If this is true then obviously the Thais are not all aware of the law!

I have driven a motorbike in the village when I have probably had too much to drink. But I certainly would be totally incapable of driving the way the Thais do when totally p**sed.

I have seen Thais barely able to walk roar off on their motorbikes and can't believe that they manage to get home let alone stay alive.!!

Never do it. My car has an autopilot and always gets me home safely!

seriously though. I hardly ever drink and never to drunkenness, so it simply does not occur.

The things I find most dangerous though are having children in the car, particularly if they start fighting. Shoots concentration to he11 and gone. I have also noticed big problems this week. I had an operation under general anaesthetic on Monday morning and still feel unsafe. These drugs seem to take forever to leave the system.

Once in BKK I was going to get a taxi outside Omni Towers Soi 4 and the taxi driver stunk of beer and had a beer in his hand! This was about midday. Needless to say I changed taxis.

Another time I was with a girl in Pattaya and at the end of the night we got on her 600cc bike (far to heavy for her). I had to hold the bike while she started it as she was pissed. We roared off down the road to the disco doing about 60 mph. Although I was pissed I thought, "What the <deleted> am I doing on this?" When we left the disco I refused to get on the bike again.

Yep. I drink and I drive. I have to admit there were a couple of times when I was too pissed to drive, but had to go home. I usually dumped my car at an express way exit. So, when I got back to my car late that night, I just hopped on the express way and drove all the way to Sri Saman Road at 50 km/hr. Bad bad bad, I know. That night was a nightmare. Never again.

Anyway, there were quite a few more times when I was too pissed to drive and didn't have to go home. If that was the case, I would find a place to go crash.

That's some odd occasions. But well, I've been out on a piss quite a lot lately. Usually have only two pints a night, max. Last Tuesday was cool. Three Coca-Colas. No alcohol at all. :o

Used to drink and drive a bit the first few years with my licence driving in Aussie(thankfully never got caught) But don't do it here. Luckily wifey is happy to drive if we go out and I get on the turps, and i can stock up on more beer at a 7-11 and chug away. :o

Interesting the attitude here towards drinking and driving . I think in Europe, US and Australia drink driving is a big no no with severe penalites if caught. But, 30, 40 years ago it was quite acceptable for gramps to drive down to the pub, get shitfaced with his mates and drive home again . Thailand is still a devolping country and i am sure in the future d&d laws similair to the west will come into place.