Drinking And Driving

Neeranam

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine was killed while walking home from a pub. He was drunk. Now I'm wondering if he had been driving home, rather than walking, would he have lived?

Anyway being drunk probably increases your likelihood of getting hurt in almost all cases.

A friend of mine was killed while walking home from a pub. He was drunk. Now I'm wondering if he had been driving home, rather than walking, would he have lived?

Anyway being drunk probably increases your likelihood of getting hurt in almost all cases.

Being drunk is being stupid both literally and figurativly speaking...even when I do it.

Some of us just function at higher levels than most. I can also fly small airplanes with acuity, even after a couple of drinks

i'm afraid its called self delusion , if having a couple of drinks increased your acuity and enabled you to operate at a higher level than most then why don't airlines insist on all pilots having a couple of beers before take off.

would you let a surgeon who had just had 2 or 3 beers operate on your child or wife or even yourself for say a heart defect or to remove a brain tumour.

alcohol , even in small quantities slows reaction times and if you are driving the difference of a millisecond can mean hitting that child ot just missing the child , can mean stopping 2 metres before the lamp post or slamming into it.

you dont have to be drunk to have your reaction times reduced.

happy motoring.

I never mentioned that alcohol might enhance performance. The point I was making is that some of us operate on higher levels of performance than the average "joe" where the impairment of a couple of drinks is not noticeable.

=borracho,2004-11-29 20:20:27]I never mentioned that alcohol might enhance performance. The point I was making is that some of us operate on higher levels of performance than the average "joe" where the impairment of a couple of drinks is not noticeable.

Sure, some can stand more drinks than others. Some are better off one day and worse the other...

Drive home the way you always drive and you feel secure.

If there is a change, however, the problems start. An obstruction or construction place that was not there the day before. Test yourself how fit you are with a few or more drinks to adjust to these kind of things.

Btw, I am not pointing a finger, just talk from my own experience.

And, yes, the obstruction could be a pedestrian, a child, a drunk running accross your path. How quick can you react to such a new situation?

I believe I know myself very well and more often than not do drive in LoS when I would have left the car alone back home. Why? The risk to lose your licence at home is too big compared to Thailand.

But the risk to be jailed in LoS, in case of an accident under influence, is much higher than in the 'West'.

I am not saying I follow always my advice, but more and more I either leave the car at home and go to a place in walking distance (ok I do live downtown) or let my wife drive if she is there, e.g. when I return from a flight abroad.

Just had to post this. I was on my way to the airport yesterday in a taxi. we were sitting at the Lad Prao junction. When suddenly, Bang! Some idiot had hit the back of us when we were parked at the lights. So the cab driver gets out to inspect. I turned round to watch. The other driver was farang. So the Thai was like you hit me. The farang just sat there and shrugged his shoulders, as if to say. What you gonna do about it? Anyway there was no damage just a scratch. So after that the farang had over taken us and was flying down the road , in and out of traffic and dissapeared out of sight. About 20 minutes later up ahead on the left at another set of lights was the same farang. He had just plowed into the back of another cab and this time it wasn't just a scratch. ###### <deleted>! He deserved that but the cabbie didn't. my driver said to me in Thai hes drunk. I would agree with him. How else could he do this i the space of 25 minutes. Maybe his breaks were ######ed. But i dont believe that. People like this fat ###### give the rest of farangs a bad name. Sitting in his car and basically showing no regard for anyone else. <deleted>!

I have a sad story to relate. I was done for DUI while driving to work one morning at 8am. Had a small accident but the cops said that they could smell booze. Went to the shop and tested 150 mg/ml. The last drink I had was around 12 the night before...the booze hadn't yet left my system.

I never drive after I have been drinking so I thought that 'the morning after' didn't count. Legally it does and blood tests don't lie.

Maybe something to think about?...

I don't know anyone on Samui who doesn't drink and drive, even though they would never do it back home, and there are plenty of taxis here.

Yes I do it myself but not as much as I used to. If I know it's going to be a big session I leave the car at home.

It seems to be the norm here, not big or clever, just the way it is.

• 8 months later...

Having read a few posts over the last couple of weeks, it seems drink driving is the topic of the moment.

Seen an asian (maybe japaneese)in bangkok pull up to a hotel so drunk the porters had to help him in and then park his car!!!!!

While staying on samui i have seen many ferrang (and thai) so drunk that they couldnt walk, but then get on their moped and drive home or to the next bar.

I have some friends on samui and they have taken the "mai pen rai" attitude to drink driving. I also have some female friends (bar girls) and was really worried for their safety and asked them not to go with customers who were extremely drunk. Alas one of them died on a motor bike with a d.d. The next day the bar was closed, but following that the girls still went on motor bikes with very drunk people.

I stayed in Issan, got really drunk and pushed the motorbike about 2kms home, the girlfriend thought I was crazy because the police never come to the village, I couldnt get her to understand that I wastn scared of the police, but very scared of falling off and getting hurt.

Much to my shame I started to ride the motorbike when very drunk due to pressure from the local thai's. The only speed they know is not moving and high speed, drunk or sober. But in my defence (flimsy excuses) in Issan there are no taxis, the road i was travelling along was straight, and only drove it just fast enough(1st gear) to keep the road lit, because it doenst half take it out off you pushing a dirt bike for 2km's.

This is my confession and was just wondering how common d.d. really is. (read on a site somewhere 80% of all accidents in thailand are drink related)

I know where you are coming from on this; I see DD or DUI all the time. Nearly every time I go to Pattaya I see tourists on the super bikes they either are so drunk they can’t put the kick stand down or forget they have a helmet on until they try to take that next drink. :o

Not all of them but far too many.

I have done it my self, but then we get old too fast and wise to slow, I was a lucky one and just do it anymore.

I won’t drive and drink but then I have taxis to depend on. Designated drivers or anything else is better than driving a car or motorcycle drunk.

Over the years I have lost 4 good friends to MC drunk crashes and one more paralyzed. :D

Edited by meelousee

I will never drink more than 1 small beer if I'm driving. Since I go most nights to my wife's bar, no-one can understand when I tell them that I can't drink because I have to drive the car home. 'Don't worry, there are not many police' they say. They don't even begin to comprehend my 'if I drink and drive then maybe i kill someone'.....

I think the DD situation in Thaioland is terrible. What is particularly bad is that many farang drink and drive, yet they are the ones coming from societies where this is condoned. These people won't drink in their home country, so why do they do it here?

Simon

If you drink and drive and haven't had an accident yet you are very lucky, as are the responsible drivers on the road.

I've been in many hospitals in Thailand at night and seen many results of drink driving. I have been ran over by a bleezing motorcyclist. If you opened your eyes and saw what tragedies occur, you wouldn't do it at all.

Up country after 9m it is very dangerous on the roads.

Not only do I not drink and drive but try to keep off the roads when all the drunks are out.

I have a friend who killed people whilst driving drunk. He did a long stretch in prison in the USA for it.

Many of the bus and "songtaew" drivers in khon Kaen are alkies, keeping a bottle of rice whisky under their seat.

I spoke to one once who told me that he couldn't drive without a drink as he suffered from "san" or shakes DTs.

An interesting thought, is an alkie without a drink more dangerous than with one or two.

Oops wrong thread, sorry. I'm sober, honest :o

Edited by Neeranam

Isn't it ironic that this thread - in which so many members freely admit to drinking and driving in Thailand (some gleefully, as if it's a clever thing to do and aren't they great for getting away with it) - reappears when the 'hang him high' brigade are applauding the death sentence on the lad who killed several people while drink driving in another thread.

Mmmmmmmmm

Edited by bendix

What is particularly bad is that many farang drink and drive, yet they are the ones coming from societies where this is condoned.  These people won't drink in their home country, so why do they do it here?

Simon

Because they won't get shafted for doing it, simple as that :o

I will never drink more than 1 small beer if I'm driving.  Since I go most nights to my wife's bar, no-one can understand when I tell them that I can't drink because I have to drive the car home.  'Don't worry, there are not many police' they say.  They don't even begin to comprehend my 'if I drink and drive then maybe i kill someone'.....

I think the DD situation in Thaioland is terrible.  What is particularly bad is that many farang drink and drive, yet they are the ones coming from societies where this is condoned.  These people won't drink in their home country, so why do they do it here?

Simon

I thought your wife had a Cafe on Suk Soi 26?

I must admit I have had a drink or 2 when driving. But usually only when I go out for a meal. If I am out on a session then always take taxi's everywhere. If I am at a resturant and drinking I never feel the effects of the lager but still drive, so this is still wrong. But I find it a little more condolable, but then perhaps I am a "alkie" like has been mentioned.

Just out of interest, what is the legal alchohol limet when driving in Thailand?

Offically that is....does anyone know?

Bang........

Edited by bangbuathongben

Hi EricDavis! You are almost right! I had a Thai GF who had a cafe on Suk 24. But about 1 year ago I was 'smitten' by another girl. That other girl is now my 'wife' and we own several tourist bars in Suk 1, (but we are in the process of moving to Samui now....) The ex GF sold the cafe and now runs a restaurant somewhere in Wang Noi :o

I spent a night in the cells once for drinking and driving..... my sister's new pushbike - was only on the pavement too. The Scottish Police told me to leave the bike in the centre of town without a lock and walk home or they would take me in, to which I replied, "throw on the cuffs".

What would you do if you unexpectedly got smashed and you had the car with you miles from home? Luckily this has never happened to me.

Also, what about people on drugs like valium, should they be banned from driving?

Drinking M_150 and energy drinks and driving?

Edited by Neeranam