Education Visa Questions

Hello! My husband and I are considering a move to Thailand for about one year. We currently live in the states. Our initial plan was to move, find a job teaching (both of us are qualified) and obtain a non "B" Visa and work permits. However, I have recently been reading about the "ed" visa's. Our thought on learning Thai is that it would be an extraordinary experience that we would only benefit from. But we are wanting to work while we are there? Can you do this?

1. Can you have two visa's?

2. Can you work as a teacher, legally and have a "ed" visa?

3. Can you travel outside of Thailand and return on an "ed" visa?

4. How legitimate are these language schools? Are they really just Visa businesses?

5. How flexible are they in their attendance? Wouldn't plan on missing much but if it happens, is it acceptable?

Thank you all for your time! I have found this site to be most helpful!

Kelly

You would obtain an ED visa if you intended to study and not work - since working with such a visa is not allowed. But if you wish to teach AND also study at the same time, then you need to apply for either a B - business visa or an O - dependant visa. It sounds like you should apply for a B visa. You will need to have obtained your employment or offer of employment prior to applying for the B visa. For practical reasons, it is therefore better to come to Thailand using a tourist visa, seek employment, and then travel to a Thai embassy in a nearby country to apply for your B visa. You cannot work using a tourist visa, so you do need to follow the correct process sequence in order to obtain your B visa with the minimum of problems.

I have no personal experience of these language schools, but many have a good reputation. Their success rate is often more to do with the willingness and ambitions of the student to learn Thai.

Simon

Hi Kelly,

My thoughts are really unless you are living here on a more permanent basis, have a Thai partner or some other requirement to speak Thai then learning the language is really unnecessary. You will be basicly wasting your time. If you spend one year in Thailand, you will before the end of that year aquire the basic language skills you are likely to need. It appears from your post that you are quite open to learning so you will pick it up easily. You did'nt indicate wether you have had any experience/ past travel in Thailand. I don't want to sound pesamistic but you may not like Thailand or Thai's and be gone within a couple of months. I personally find my limit in Thailand is six months then I have to go back to Australia otherwise I do my cruit. I have some very good reasons for being in Thailand too. For many people it takes a few months for the the cracks to appear, if you hav'nt allread done so, come for a month and go from there.

Chok Dii,

Damo.

Hi Kelly,

My thoughts are really unless you are living here on a more permanent basis, have a Thai partner or some other requirement to speak Thai then learning the language is really unnecessary. You will be basicly wasting your time. If you spend one year in Thailand, you will before the end of that year aquire the basic language skills you are likely to need. It appears from your post that you are quite open to learning so you will pick it up easily. You did'nt indicate wether you have had any experience/ past travel in Thailand. I don't want to sound pesamistic but you may not like Thailand or Thai's and be gone within a couple of months. I personally find my limit in Thailand is six months then I have to go back to Australia otherwise I do my cruit. I have some very good reasons for being in Thailand too. For many people it takes a few months for the the cracks to appear, if you hav'nt allread done so, come for a month and go from there.

Chok Dii,

Damo.

Thank you all for your replies. First, My husband and I have both been to Thailand and fell in love. I am aware of the faults that will appear as we live there, but have to admit did not show themselves, enough to scare us away, in the time we were there (one month). So from my understanding, I cannot work legally while having an education visa? If we do obtain a "b" or an "o" visa, can we study while in Thailand? We are very open, and we would obtain much language from being there but we would both like to get as much from the experience as possible. What are the criteria for obtaining an "o" visa? I have looked into a "b" visa but the idea of visa runs does not appeal to my husband or myself. I know there are many Westerners living in Thailand now and I (want to) believe there must be an easier way to do so. I could be wrong! :o What are your suggestions for me, wanting to be a teacher. I am qualified, responsible and must say would be an asset. (I don't want that to sound big headed, but I am serious about my intentions.) I will continue to do my research. Thank you for all for your time!

Kind Regards,

Kelly

Edited by KMixon

Also, it is my understanding to enter Thailand on a visitors visa you must must show proof of a return ticket. That's fine if they need to see a ticket for a year away, but I don't want to eat $1000 dollars for something if I don't have to. Am I wrong on this? Is there a way around this? Can we show proof of means to buy a return ticket? Again, Thanks!

On any visa you can study in Thailand. Follow the advise of Simon. Eiter get a letter from a prospective employer and get a non-B or come on a tourist visa and find an employer. If you want to find a job as a teacher look here:

http://www.teflasia.com/ajarn/browse_jobs/index.html

If you come to Thailand on a visa you don't need a return ticket.

Can you come on an "ED" visa, drop that when you find a job and obtain a "B" visa?

Yes, you can...

... Will they not frown upon that? How does that work?

...and no, they won’t frown upon it.

If you want to start your life in Thailand with the study of the Thai language I suggest this:

Step 1: Get a tourist visa to travel to Thailand.

Step 2: After arrival in Thailand, check out two or three Thai language schools you find interesting, attend a free trial lesson, then choose your school.

Step 3: The school will give you the papers you need to apply for a single-entry non-Ed visa at a Thai embassy or consulate in a neighbouring country.

Step 4: Start your study and every 90 days the school will give you the papers necessary for a 90-day extension of stay for study.

Step 5: When you find employment, your employer will apply for a work permit for you at the Employment Department and then give you the work permit application receipt and other papers to go and get a single-entry non-B visa at a Thai embassy or consulate in a neighbouring country.

Step 6: When the work permit is ready, your employer picks it up for you, gives it to you and you start work.

Step 7: Before the 90-day permission to stay you received when you entered with the non-B visa is over you apply at the immigration office for an extension of stay for work for the duration of one year or until the end of the validity of your work permit, whichever is shorter. You are free to study while you are on the non-B visa and on extensions of stay for work.

Step 8: Get new extensions of stay as long as your work permit is extended.

--

Maestro

Hi Kelly,

Chok Dii,

Damo.

... SNIP ...

We are very open, and we would obtain much language from being there but we would both like to get as much from the experience as possible. What are the criteria for obtaining an "o" visa? I have looked into a "b" visa but the idea of visa runs does not appeal to my husband or myself. I know there are many Westerners living in Thailand ...SNIP

Kind Regards,

Kelly

As you say that Visa Runs do not appeal to you ...

It is possible to obtain an ED visa for your First entry.

See the advert for Walen at top of this topic

Edited by WilliamIV

Dear Kelly,

concerning your search for a Thai School, yoou're welcome to visit our school My Thai Language School, you can find our banner in the thai language forum. We, of course, help with the application of student visa but the most important for us is to really focuss on the quality of our teaching.

Have a nice day, Regards.

Kroo Ae