Shipping Entire Household Abroad In Container

Tony Clifton

I remember reading a few horror stories regarding people importing containers when moving here.

I also remember hearing about Thai custom's more than shaky reputation. :o

Is there anything we should be cautious with when sending a container from Bangkok port?

I just don't want to discover it's been opened here before shipping out and that many items are missing once it's opened in Canada where the broker is a good friend of mine.

We were told the container would be sealed at our door once completely loaded but that doesn't keep anyone from opening it while in transit or when sitting before being loaded onto the boat.

Thanks,

Tony :D

Edited by Tony Clifton

We've shipped our entire household belongings in and out of Thailand 3 times (six trips through Thai Customs) we have only ever had one item go missing (a coffee machine which we suspect was stolen by one of the packers), we have never had one glass, plate or ornament broken.... which I think is quite an achievement.

Container was to be delivered here Friday a.m. loaded and then rolled to BKK to be shipped Saturday.

It will now be delivered here Wednesday, loaded and then rolled to Laem Chabang to be shipped Saturday.

Can`t say I`m not worried when an inventory of what`s inside has to be made available along with the value of it all and it will sit there for 3 or 4 days.

Definitely insuring it. :o

Container was to be delivered here Friday a.m. loaded and then rolled to BKK to be shipped Saturday.

It will now be delivered here Wednesday, loaded and then rolled to Laem Chabang to be shipped Saturday.

Can`t say I`m not worried when an inventory of what`s inside has to be made available along with the value of it all and it will sit there for 3 or 4 days.

Definitely insuring it. :D

Finally back to Canada, Tony ? Which part are you going to ? I had/built a business once in Edmonton, end '80's. Bloody cold in winter...brrrrr. So, left after 1 1/2 year for San Francisco.... :o

LaoPo

When our container got here customs cut off all 4 locks and the handcart went missing.

my container arrived and was delivered still with the lock which a friend of mine who supervised the loading in the U.S. whether inbound or outbound the best advice is use a reputable clearing agent!

Container left this afternoon.

crossed_fingers.jpg

A few tips:

Write down container ID, IE ABCD 12 34 56 7 (4 letters, 7 numbers) so you can track it online while in transit.

When container arrives at your house, step inside, have doors closed, look for daylight coming through cracks or pinholes, if you do see daylight coming in, ask for a new container. High seas and rain do not forgive.

Once fumigated, have doors reopened and do not breathe or expose you eyes to the fumes. Let it air out for at least 30 minutes, I recommend a fan blasting air towards the inside. If you do not do this, your stuff will smell forever.

• 3 weeks later...
Container left this afternoon.

crossed_fingers.jpg

A few tips:

Write down container ID, IE ABCD 12 34 56 7 (4 letters, 7 numbers) so you can track it online while in transit.

When container arrives at your house, step inside, have doors closed, look for daylight coming through cracks or pinholes, if you do see daylight coming in, ask for a new container. High seas and rain do not forgive.

Once fumigated, have doors reopened and do not breathe or expose you eyes to the fumes. Let it air out for at least 30 minutes, I recommend a fan blasting air towards the inside. If you do not do this, your stuff will smell forever.

Thanks Tony for the advice.I am currently in Chiangmai and returning to Canada in June 2009. I was just researching shipping household items to Canada and came upon your OP. I am shipping to Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada which may probably be within the same ballpark pricewise as your move to Ottawa. Could you enlighten me please as to the name of shipping company here in Thailand you used, size of container, cost to Ottawa from(where were you in Thailand?), who actually loads your household effects into the container, and expected time from Thailand to Canada to be there to avoid added quay fees? Any other pertinent details you can add would be greatly appreciated. Hope this is not too great a burden; Regards.... :o

I have another question also regarding sending house hold to a container.

We have many collections of dvd's . would it be a problem also passing through custom here? Does anybody has the same problem ?

The packer will probably tell you they won't pack them.

TH

• 1 year later...

I have a few questions re: shipping a container load of stuff from the US to Thailand;

- Is it advisable to buy a container or rent one from the shipping company?

- From reading the posts, it looks like no duty is charged if the container is in a Thai-national's name, is that correct? What are the requirements this Thai-national needs to satisfy - out of the country for a certain period?

- Does Customs ever look at the inventory list and question WHY something is in the container - for example we'll be shipping about (50) 1mtr x 2 mtr tempered glass panels for our house that we'll build. We'll also have a lot of power tools for my shop and probably a jet ski.

- Any recommendations on shippers from the US and agents on the Thai side?

thanks,

phatmax

I had shipped 4 tea cases over from England trying to get them to Chiang Mai, 5 years ago.

It was a nightmare because I was very naive and messed up big time. Lucky my brother in law is a Thai lawyer and got me out of a big jam.

I learned from my mistakes and here is the benefit of my experience:

Firstly UK (probably same for US) shipping companies will only take stuff as far as the port in Bangkok. If you want to continue on to any other destination within Thailand, you must arrange for the cases to be picked up by another carrier company in Thailand, preferable one based in the destination where you want the goods delivered.

Use a Thai name from the very beginning with the UK/US company. If you declare the goods in a Farang name, you will be stung for a huge amount of Import tax, to be paid before you can retrieve your goods from the Bangkok port. They will be held for ransom until you pay.

If you bring new electrical items over, you will be charged import tax at a huge percent. Try and bring only your used electrical goods and one of each of the same item, you will again have to pay import tax on more than one item that the officials think you don't need. If you do try and bring in new electrical items, take off any wrapping and put on old plugs so they appear used.

When you hire your carrier in Thailand to collect the goods from port, don't tell them you have a computer, otherwise they will try and con you for more money. The Thai carrier will not open the cases and have no right to because the cases would have already been cleared by customs in Bangkok.

The UK/US company charges by cubic space and not weight, but if the cases are considered too heavy, they will refuse to take them. The customs in Bangkok charge import tax by the value of the goods, but mostly waver this tax or charge a minimum for Thai nationals.

As for packing, wrap drinking glasses and crockery in newspaper. Put fragile items in with your good blankets or clothes so that they are buffered. This way you are not wasting any space on excess padding as your clothes are excellent buffers and will protect your fragile items when the cases are throw about by the carriers, which they will be.

And finally as in my case, the carrier company in Chiang Mai later refused to bring up my cases from a depot in Bangkok until their truck was full, meaning I had to wait until other customers were also bringing their goods up here and the truck was fully loaded. My brother in law went down to the depot, saw one of my carrier's trucks ready to depart Bangkok empty after a delivery from Chiang Mai, offered the driver 600 baht to take my gear and it worked.

Edited by BigWheelMan